tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
InFrom wrote:So, no knock on MI cider, but it seems like a lot of schlepping, considering that you have decent cider in your neck of the woods. Have you tried that Bellwether cider place in Trumansburg? I recall their stuff being pretty good, though I'm by no means a cider maven. Honestly, whenever I'm in the FL I find it hard to get my mind off Riesling. Mmmm...Riesling....

I have tried their cider, and its pretty decent, although I'm not a fan of some of the bottles. There is another decent cider place at the farmers market as well. But I wonder if this place cider is different,and also maybe michigan didnt have the frost we had in april. Plus cheron and I are already hopefully meeting up in Buffalo. Some of the best riesling I had were from Keuka Spring winery, and Prejean. Prejean also has the best Gewertz that I have ever tasted.

OOOO Sparky!!!!!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:I bought the caramels and want the cheese, but I just can't afford anything else... I've blown my woot budget 3 times over again. 18 orders and $850 in just 2 weeks! Now that I got my caramels I am on a SSSIWAOTBM (Super Strict Self Imposed Wine And Other Things Buying Moratorium).

It's going to be a fun time when they all arrive, isn't it.

I'm just hanging out, really.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
cheron98 wrote:That's about where HAK and I are... bought caramels and cheese, pondering creminelli.

I got my Creminelli when I got the KR PS that I shouldn't have bought.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:I used MFP for awhile, but I didn't succeed with it. I'm not certain why. I hate WW because they weight so many of my favorite things very high with points (compared to straight calorie comparison) and it is so not worth the "free" fruits and veggies, but I like that it's flexible from day to day within one week as opposed to being the same every day. Maybe a combination of straight calories in/calories out combined with the weekly flexibility would work for me, I don't know.

Only two strategies have ever worked for me to lose weight so far: WW and fasting. WW is better than fasting.

I see it as a challenge. One I get lazy about using. In fact, I should probably start using it again.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

I want cheese, I want the blue, I don't want over 3 lbs of cheese though, haha.

CT

tenuki

bhodilee wrote:you likely did not as you have never been that type. I was nagged, and nagged, and nagged. See, I'm a logical cat, things like, I'd like to finish my Masters and get a job before I get married made sense to me. They did NOT make sense to my wife. She kept talking about the specific diamond cut she wanted and it was not something I was going to be able to afford without gainful employment and a hefty discount (which I get, thank you Berkshire Hathaway). So when I finished the Masters, got the job and got some money saved up, I got the ring. Worked out, but was aggravating in the meantime.

She must be a very brave woman to nag bowtie :P

CT

bhodilee

tenuki wrote:She must be a woman to nag bowtie :P

IFTFY

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

First...really weird being on woot without being able to see any graphics and the layout of the pages being very F'd up. My work now somehow blocks woot in such a way that it displays almost nothing except pure text and a few of the buttons.

Anyway, hoping to get a quick opinion/help from ya'll.
These two tablets....
7" MID Android tablet for $79
or
9" MID Android tablet for $109.99

As a comparison between the two (other than the size), is there anything about the 9" one that makes it overly superior to the 7" one?
My mom now also wants to try out a tablet for use around the house (so she doesn't have to always log into the desktop to check her email...she doesn't have a smartphone), so she already said she'd prefer the smaller 7" one to carry in her purse.
But trying to decide if my aunt would be better off with the 9" one.
But if the specs (processor, memory, speed, graphics, etc) are similar enough, then the 7" one should do her just fine and I'll order two of those.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:I see it as a challenge. One I get lazy about using. In fact, I should probably start using it again.

I lost about 25 pounds on WW. Switched to MFP and gained about 5 back in 6 months, so back to WW for me. It pretty much sucks, but it works. I wish they'd invent a skinny pill. The constant counting and self-denial is sooper crappy.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Does anyone use a Brookstone Automatic Wine Preserver. A friend just gave me one for my birthday and I was wondering if it works well. Sounds like a good concept, it would be nice to open a better bottle of wine for myself when hubby is out.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Means they might get sued. Since I'm pretty sure Meritage is trademarked and copyrighted.

Yeah, I thought of that. I wonder if the copyright only applies to wine, and she can get away with using it for coffee. I wouldn't think so, but laws can be funny (as in strange, not amusing).

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

CAGrl wrote:
And cheron good luck with the diet!!! One good thing about a 7 week engagement is not worrying about fitting into my dress.

I had to read this twice. The first time I thought "I didn't know Cat was going to wear your dress." Then I put it together with the fact that her engagement is much longer than 7 weeks, and realized you were talking about your engagement. And I haven't even started drinking yet.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

bhodilee wrote:She's way smart and has been cornering me with logic traps since she was two. Drives me crazy.

Give her the Liar's Paradox to think about. That might slow her down a bit.

ddeuddeg

tiger7610 wrote:Question since i'm trying to come up with some nice different hard cider for my friend who is a supertaster and just find the taste of alcohol horrible, but maybe can drink hard cider? Any chance I can request a bottle or 2 for when you come up in Jan to buffalo? If this doesnt make sense you can ask me when I'm not typing after 4 beers.

Not a big fan of hard cider, but I really like the one Leonard Oakes Winery makes. They're about 45 minutes from us, but I can probably find it closer to home. I'll look into it.

ddeuddeg

InFrom wrote:So, no knock on MI cider, but it seems like a lot of schlepping, considering that you have decent cider in your neck of the woods. Have you tried that Bellwether cider place in Trumansburg?

A mere 12 miles up the road. Even easier than getting it from me when she visits next month. BTW, Tiger, don't forget I still have those 2 bottles of SH '10 Barbera for you.

ddeuddeg

klezman wrote:I have no opinion on Weight Watchers. What's worked for me is simply counting calories. With smartphones it's easy to pay attention and not cheat. Set your daily net calorie goal and make sure you stick to it.

How many calories are there in a smartphone?

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

Happy Thursday! Just sent my farm tots home for the week and am enjoying the respite from cold and rain we've been having. It's bright and sunny here in the Wine Country. I checked with WD and we think hard cider falls into the same category as beer for direct to consumer shipping. Guess I'll just have to go into the pubs to find all the varieties I"m looking for. OR start making some next year!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
ddeuddeg wrote:How many calories are there in a smartphone?

It's not too bad if you leave off the cheese and mayo.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

I will no longer be purchasing from any Woot site other than Wine.Woot until they change their shipping/cancel policy. And most especially for any non-wine item.

In an effort to streamline our shipping process, orders are now processed to ship much faster. As a result, unfortunately, we are unable to alter or cancel your order. Please understand this does not necessarily mean your order has shipped but rather that it has reached the point in processing where it is unable to be cancelled.

This is unacceptable, in any shape or form. Especially as a long time Wooter. This is no longer my Woot.

Especially since it is their bug, which still hasn't been fixed, that has caused such problems that I had to continually change the default shipping address.

The items haven't shipped yet, but they won't change it. Nor cancel it (which I think they have to do if I cancel the order via my CC).

Thanks Woot for losing a long time customer with your shenanigans.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
MarkDaSpark wrote:I will no longer be purchasing from any Woot site other than Wine.Woot until they change their shipping/cancel policy. And most especially for any non-wine item.

This is unacceptable, in any shape or form. Especially as a long time Wooter. This is no longer my Woot.

Especially since it is their bug, which still hasn't been fixed, that has caused such problems that I had to continually change the default shipping address.

The items haven't shipped yet, but they won't change it. Nor cancel it (which I think they have to do if I cancel the order via my CC).

Thanks Woot for losing a long time customer with your shenanigans.

Seriously, Sparky? Wow.

InFrom

InFrom wrote:Seriously, Sparky? Wow.

Wow, as in, this is a major annoyance that clearly has you majorly annoyed, not a mode I'm used to seeing from you. They should make it right.

MarkDaSpark

InFrom wrote:Wow, as in, this is a major annoyance that clearly has you majorly annoyed, not a mode I'm used to seeing from you. They should make it right.

Yes. Especially since I've emailed about the items right away, they obviously haven't shipped yet, and they still won't change the frakkin' address. I mean, if I order on Amazon, I can still cancel the order if it hasn't shipped, but not here!

Scarier still is that they removed the "beta" tags, which implies it's no longer in beta, but still has problems.

I no longer care to deal with the non Wine.Woot sites, no matter how good a "deal" they have.

And also because the past two Woot-Offs have had no Bunch of Cheer#39;s nor Woot Monkeys.

Edit: The main problem has been magical shipping changes. I've ordered, checked, and then once shipping occurs, the address magically changes from my alternate shipping address to the default shipping address.

Default used to be my UPS Store box, and the alternate was my Wine Locker. Problem was then that my wine would sometimes show up here. So then I changed the default to my Wine Locker address, only then my non-wine items show up there.

Problem then is that they don't open until 10am, which didn't use to be a problem until their mail carrier got her route changed, and now she comes by before 10, and then leaves the paper notifications of boxes. Since they are right next door to the PO, you'd think she could go there last instead of HO! HO! HO!

The issue is that then someone from the Wine Locker has to trek down to the PO to pick up my non-wine items. Which isn't right. And irritates me no end.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes. Especially since I've emailed about the items right away, they obviously haven't shipped yet, and they still won't change the frakkin' address. I mean, if I order on Amazon, I can still cancel the order if it hasn't shipped, but not here!

Wonder if the $5 shipping comes into play, they might be afraid of people ordering, ordering something else with free shipping, then canceling the original. I mean yes, you could code around it, but it could get to be a hassle.

But yeah, obviously you should be able to cancel an order you just placed within a reasonable time. I know with Amazon you can just refuse delivery sometimes, I wonder if that works with woot.

CT

InFrom

tenuki wrote:Wonder if the $5 shipping comes into play, they might be afraid of people ordering, ordering something else with free shipping, then canceling the original. I mean yes, you could code around it, but it could get to be a hassle.

But yeah, obviously you should be able to cancel an order you just placed within a reasonable time. I know with Amazon you can just refuse delivery sometimes, I wonder if that works with woot.

I got the same message as Sparky did, one day last week, when I asked them (almost immediately) if I could change to a different credit card. It did feel like a sudden inflexibility had taken hold.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
tenuki wrote:can just refuse delivery sometimes, I wonder if that works with woot.

That's always an option, yes.

I'm just hanging out, really.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
ddeuddeg wrote:I had to read this twice. The first time I thought "I didn't know Cat was going to wear your dress." Then I put it together with the fact that her engagement is much longer than 7 weeks, and realized you were talking about your engagement. And I haven't even started drinking yet.

I probably could have worded it better. Most likely I was drinking. Or on my tiny little phone trying to type it all out. Laptop will get here this weekend!!!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
tenuki wrote:Wonder if the $5 shipping comes into play, they might be afraid of people ordering, ordering something else with free shipping, then canceling the original. I mean yes, you could code around it, but it could get to be a hassle.

I did that. Ordered something first, then ordered something second. Canceled the first order (buyer's remorse) and then got an email and CC charge for $5. Didn't bother me at all since that's what I expected. So I don't think it's to keep people from getting around the shipping charge.

ddeuddeg

CAGrl wrote:I did that. Ordered something first, then ordered something second. Canceled the first order (buyer's remorse) and then got an email and CC charge for $5. Didn't bother me at all since that's what I expected. So I don't think it's to keep people from getting around the shipping charge.

I'm surprised you could do that. I tried changing a shipping address 5 minutes after I placed an order, and they said it was too late to cancel or alter it. Even after it shipped via UPS, where the shipper can change the delivery address once the package is in transit, they insisted there was nothing they could do. Except keep apologizing for the inconvenience. I think they're just plain lazy. This sure as hell isn't the old woot.com.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
CAGrl wrote:I did that. Ordered something first, then ordered something second. Canceled the first order (buyer's remorse) and then got an email and CC charge for $5. Didn't bother me at all since that's what I expected. So I don't think it's to keep people from getting around the shipping charge.

I did that as well, very shortly after the change, and was refunded my original order (which had the shipping on it) and was never re-charged for the shipping.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
North316 wrote:I bought the caramels and want the cheese, but I just can't afford anything else... I've blown my woot budget 3 times over again. 18 orders and $850 in just 2 weeks! Now that I got my caramels I am on a SSSIWAOTBM (Super Strict Self Imposed Wine And Other Things Buying Moratorium).

I personally was waffling on picking up a few hundred dollars of stuff but then I managed to break a tooth on Sunday and will need it removed and replaced with an implant over the next several months. Nothing like $4,000-$6,000 of dental bills staring at you to make you decide to stick to a moratorium.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bhodilee

cmaldoon wrote:I personally was waffling on picking up a few hundred dollars of stuff but then I managed to break a tooth on Sunday and will need it removed and replaced with an implant over the next several months. Nothing like $4,000-$6,000 of dental bills staring at you to make you decide to stick to a moratorium.

another perk of living in Nebraska, you can just not get it replaced and not not look odd

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
inkycatz wrote:That's always an option, yes.

FedEx did that once for me, on a UPS delivery. It went to never-never land somewhere in a huge black Amazon receiving hole in TN iirc. Never did get the goods; gone forever. Thanks Amazon! A total Charlie-Foxtrot. Come to think about it, don't think I ever got credited either. Gonna check on that.

CT

MarkDaSpark

I'd been trying to order first on Wine, so anything else is free shipping. And it was just on this last one (wireless extender) that I actually asked them to cancel it if they wouldn't change the address. And they wouldn't, which I believe is a violation of some law, either state or federal.

The irritating thing (one of many lately from Woot) is that they used to have the Cancel button, which I used to correct shipping errors. As in, oops, wrong address. Cancel and then re-ordered.

It all just added up to where the "new" Support group isn't supportive at all. And I don't feel like bending over any more for them. So no more spending $$ on any Woot but Wine.Woot!!!

Edit: Guess I won't be ordering from UrbanOutfitters either. They have the same policy. Not that I did or plan to now.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

I, too, have found massive holes and inconsistencies in the new woot "service" and "support" groups. Emails go unanswered, lost to the void forever. Random people will answer something with no reference or sense of what's come before. Fixes have been stated to be done but never occur. Service used to be exemplary in the woot world, but it's approaching worse than average now.
Grumble.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Well Sparky, it looks like I just fell prey to what you described.

I placed three orders today (yes, I broke down and ordered the Creminelli). I changed the shipping address for my first order, and that address carried over to my second. But not my third. That one's going to my wootlegger.

So, Senor Otolith, PM for you.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Doc: Here's another camera deal. Like last time, I have no clue what it is, but people seem to be saying it's a great price for $900. And you can add another lens for $100.

And there's also this deal for some fancy lens that does something cool, I'm sure.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:Well, I bought the salted caramels and the cheese. Now I just need to decide what else I desperately need to buy, to take advantage of the shipping deal - maybe the Creminelli salami?

Order it all and then bring 'em over!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
chemvictim wrote:I really want this to be true. Weight Watchers is very cruel to wine drinkers.

Did I mention that hot cocoa is also part of my diet plan?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

chemvictim wrote:I used MFP for awhile, but I didn't succeed with it. I'm not certain why. I hate WW because they weight so many of my favorite things very high with points (compared to straight calorie comparison) and it is so not worth the "free" fruits and veggies, but I like that it's flexible from day to day within one week as opposed to being the same every day. Maybe a combination of straight calories in/calories out combined with the weekly flexibility would work for me, I don't know.

Only two strategies have ever worked for me to lose weight so far: WW and fasting. WW is better than fasting.

This is almost-but-not-quite fasting. But with less hunger and more eating. I kept a blog last time I went through it, feel free to read through, if you're interested.

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:I have tried their cider, and its pretty decent, although I'm not a fan of some of the bottles. There is another decent cider place at the farmers market as well. But I wonder if this place cider is different,and also maybe michigan didnt have the frost we had in april. Plus cheron and I are already hopefully meeting up in Buffalo. Some of the best riesling I had were from Keuka Spring winery, and Prejean. Prejean also has the best Gewertz that I have ever tasted.

OOOO Sparky!!!!!

No, we didn't have the frost in April.

We had the warmup in February, followed by the frost in March. Which killed our apple crop. Mostly. Sigh.