klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

I'm on the fence for actually picking this one up. Tasting notes indicate it's on the edge of my style preference. The label, however, is fantastic. Got a sneak peak a while back.

Any more tasting notes out there?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
ThunderThighs wrote:PS: Don't overlook the Chocolate Covered Wine Grapes on the Pop-up site.

Definitely in for chocolate covered wine grapes and maybe mixed salted caramels.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii

In for two.

My family and friends are always excited to try when I bring them around the holidays and the QPR is has been very good for the Woot Cellars reds. Also, the labels are a hoot!

Also laying aside a few to open every 6 months to a year. Most of the past Woot Cellars, as was mentioned previously, developed quite nicely with some additional time.

stonechiper

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stonechiper
Merlynxlii wrote:In for two.

My family and friends are always excited to try when I bring them around the holidays and the QPR is has been very good for the Woot Cellars reds. Also, the labels are a hoot!

Also laying aside a few to open every 6 months to a year. Most of the past Woot Cellars, as was mentioned previously, developed quite nicely with some additional time.

Mine too, I still have at least one reserve bottle of most previous woot cellars offerings. I also ordered 2 as this will work for non holiday gift giving needs as well.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

I love me some GSM though not sure the QPR is that great on this offer based on my past experience with Hahn wines. Dont get me wrong, ive enjpyed some of their offerings but none have risen above the 15-18 dollar per bottle MSRP threshold according to my unsophisticated palatte.

IMO a Woot Cellars offerung from a lower yielding winery such as Wellington will deliver a better QPR based on many factors including the siE of the vineyard, lower case production thus more attention to detail in the winemaking, as well as many others. Again, only my opinion!

"The older I get the better I was"

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia
ThunderThighs wrote:PS: Don't overlook the Chocolate Covered Wine Grapes on the Pop-up site.

Given how quick the mods are to constantly yell at us if anything goes off topic now (specifically if we complain about a "new policy"), I find these non sequitur advertisements mixed into the wine discussion...ironic.

Cyradia

Can someone please remind me which of the other woot wines Hahn Estates was responsible for? I've had mixed opinions of the woot labels and figured that might help me decide which side of the fence to fall off to.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Cyradia wrote:Can someone please remind me which of the other woot wines Hahn Estates was responsible for? I've had mixed opinions of the woot labels and figured that might help me decide which side of the fence to fall off to.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4224544&pageindex=1&replycount=20

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm

looks like everyone except me has tasted this. we like Rhone wines, but we can get Guigal Cotes du Rhone Villages at this price point or a bit cheaper.

How does it stack up against the Guigal Cotes du Rhone Villages?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo

Wahoo!

My annual Christmas presents have finally arrived on WW!

In for two...

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Cyradia

JOATMON wrote:http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4224544&pageindex=1&replycount=20

Thanks!

So the answer is...none?

P.S. Thanks to all for the tasting notes, though I'm rolling my eyes a bit at the method of distribution.

sdilullo

publicart wrote:The Woot Cellars Blitzen from TY Canton just keeps getting better and better, and it cost a little less. So I don't know if price really has much to do with it when it's a woot cellars.

Ya know, I really should open another bottle of that... we've had two sitting on the bottom of the rack for, well, a year now!

redwinefan wrote:My favorite GSM I've purchased off Woot is the Tallulah Les Trois Voix. I wouldn't put this holiday Woot in that ballpark, but this GSM is a decent amount cheaper.

Woo boy is that stuff tasty. I love it but I've also hated depleting my limited stock by drinking it.

First world problems, eh?

my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
klezman wrote:I'm on the fence for actually picking this one up. Tasting notes indicate it's on the edge of my style preference. The label, however, is fantastic. Got a sneak peak a while back.

Any more tasting notes out there?

I got one for you. Specifically for you, even, although I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

For a comparison to other wineries' styles, the body of this one is very similar to how Twisted Oak does its Grenache - light to medium body with about the same mouthfeel. Less complex than theirs, which is somewhat surprising, given that this is a blend and should have a little more going for it. But that's not to say that this is bad. Oh no. It's quite enjoyable.

Since others have described the color at length and I have nothing more to add to that, I won't talk about it except to say "ooh pretty".

On first sniff, I got blackberries and plum, faint anise, and spices. It did eventually evolve to have a touch of leathery tones, but the fruit was definitely front and center.

First taste was a little hot and jumbled fruit forward. Definitely needed a little air time, so I let it sit until it mellowed out. Smooth tannin, no bitterness, with nice black berries and dark fruit, a bit of oakiness in the form of vanilla, and I was reminded of thyme.

Historically, as mentioned, woot cellars wines have done better after a year in the bottle. I think this one will definitely be one of those. Not meant for aging, but definitely could use a little more integration time.

Absolutely wanted food with this - but I'm on a restricted diet at the moment and was unable to fulfill that desire. I had some sopressata in the fridge that I was sorely tempted to go get, as well as some fig spread and brie... my palate wanted these things to go along with the wine. This would be a great "starter" wine for a meal - with appetizers. Lighter fare - you definitely don't want super fatty meats with it. Poultry, maybe pork. Mini quiches, egg rolls, and as mentioned, light cheeses and smoked meats.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Someone mentioned Blitzin and I totally forgot about it. My CT shows that I have 11 bottles, but I tend to drink and forget. Best go dig for it and open one up (and get an accurate count). I'm off over the Xmas - NYD time frame so I guess that could be one of my tasks.
I'm on the fence on this offering, nothing knocking my Xmas stocking off the fireplace as having to indulge. Having a lot of wine on hand helps be a little selective.
Sounds like the Tour may have received pre-release bottles - cool!! It brings back memories of the Rat Days!!!! Great reviews from everyone - thanks.

UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG

In for a five pack. I've never been disappointed with any of the previous Woot Cellars offerings.

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

Don't let the funky label fool you, in fact this wine emits a bit of elegance. It has a beautiful purple color. At first a dark barely dried fruit on the nose...after an hour it changed to a slightly sweeter aroma
The mouth feel and finish are both on the light side, but there is a silkiness to it.

You definitely get some fruit on the palate with some slight intensity on the back of your tongue. It went quite well with food, but its a very easy to drink wine on its own.

Woot Cellars for the win!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 36 Private Messages fredrinaldi

"keep an eye out this coming Monday, December 3, for a PHAT holiday wine offer from the cellars nearest and dearest to our hearts."

am I missing something here, it's Monday whats this PHAT?

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr

I'm pretty new to woot, but my wife and I really enjoyed the Quaffmor (and its incredible bottle city).

Based on the positive reveiws, I'm really excited to try this. Based on the sweet label, I'm sad I'll be forced to drink it.

In for 1!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
fredrinaldi wrote:"keep an eye out this coming Monday, December 3, for a PHAT holiday wine offer from the cellars nearest and dearest to our hearts."

am I missing something here, it's Monday whats this PHAT?

Really?

The wine is called "Phat Goose".

Do you really need more explanation?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

nkritkausky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkritkausky

Is this from the Club Penguin Vineyard?

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
tiger7610 wrote:Anyone want to split the offering? I'm in Ithaca, NY

How many bottles do you want? I'm in Binghamton.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

in for one!

mellman99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mellman99

what happened to 6 bottle offerings? I really - REALLY miss those. My wine rack is 4 bottles wide, so 12 bottles fit nicely...10 bottles, leaves me with two spots empty...so i either have to have a blank spot, or find 2 bottles of something to fill its place...for which my OCD self is not always fun.

/rant #firstworldproblems

EDIT: Where's the Fruitcake?! No shipping to Virginia? Why oh why, I've had almost every other Woot cellar wine and now I'm missing this

sdilullo

mellman99 wrote:what happened to 6 bottle offerings? I really - REALLY miss those.

Amazon + Increased Shipping Costs

Thus, we still get our $5 shipping. But we're paying for it via reduced bottle counts.

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy
sdilullo wrote:Amazon + Increased Shipping Costs

Thus, we still get our $5 shipping. But we're paying for it via reduced bottle counts.

Which really ruins the awesomeness of the woot! cellars offerings. One of the joys was the superb value.

exlaxer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages exlaxer

[quote postid="5263160" user="Merlynxlii"]In for two.

------------
MY family and friends are excited to try just about any alcohol I bring around. Something about getting free drinks'll do that most years.

Am on the fence about this offering. Seems I missed the Blitzin back whenever that was offered; any chance wine.woot has some leftovers to offer anew?

I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you just made me buy 3.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Hello and Happy woot Cellars day.

This woot cellars was very enjoyable to create and offer. Rooster Booster from Hahn was great to work with as usual and the blend is specific to woot.

have fun with this one.

losthighwayz

Ok, I may not be in but I need to stop thinking about ME and of my giftees: fwould a once-in-a-while red wine drinker enjoy this? Co-workers who enjoy La Crema pinots and fruit forward Cali-style Zins. Thanks!

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
losthighwayz wrote:Ok, I may not be in but I need to stop thinking about ME and of my giftees: fwould a once-in-a-while red wine drinker enjoy this? Co-workers who enjoy La Crema pinots and fruit forward Cali-style Zins. Thanks!

I think so, it's a smooth easy-drinking red.

BTW, thanks for the detailed notes on yesterday's Deep Red. I was out of the running anyway since it didn't ship to OH but those were some quality tasting notes.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
Cesare wrote:Woot Cellars Phat Goose 2011 Red Blend 5-Pack
$59.00
2011 Woot Cellars Phat Goose Red Blend, Central Coast
CT link above

Winery website

My tasting notes:
Purple color, smells fruity, a little candy maybe some spice. Not too complex.
Tastes fruity and kind of grapey, baking spice, some oak, hint of sweetness, low tannin, not hot. Light to medium bodied. Short finish.
Simple but tasty. I think this would pair with a variety of foods and is ready to drink now.

I'm just not sure a label and schlepping makes this a $14 wine to me.

signed.

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr
canonizer wrote:I'm just not sure a label and schlepping makes this a $14 wine to me.

That's good because it is, at most, a $13 bottle of wine

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

OK, I can't convince myself to get a set. But I will happily take a bottle or two off somebody's hands down in SoCal.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sulakdd

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd

I normally buy all the woot cellars wines, but this label is so ugly that I want to smash the bottles when I look at them. No way can I buy this. Pretty sure I read somewhere that label greatly effects nose, taste, shelf life, etc.

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Late notes here:

In the glass a light purple color, with moderate legs. At first on the pnp there was not much coming through on the nose except heat, and the wine was thin on the palate. The acidity was present with a bit of spice on the finish, but hollow in the mid palate. Set aside and waited about 1.5 hours to have with dinner.

After decanting, the nose opened up a bit and had raspberry and faint blueberry. On the palate there was raspberry and some dark fruit that was less discernible. The finish was short to medium, with a hint a a spice we tried for a while to place, but could not. The closest thing for us was a hint of cumin or maybe even clove. The most notable aspect was the acidity. Paired with turkey meatloaf and sauteed parsnips and turnips. This wine is best with food. With a little fat on the tongue it really rounded out the mouthfeel and paired with the acidity.

Highly recommend decanting (or cellaring) and pairing with food. This would not be a stand alone sipper for me.

losthighwayz

chipgreen wrote:I think so, it's a smooth easy-drinking red.

BTW, thanks for the detailed notes on yesterday's Deep Red. I was out of the running anyway since it didn't ship to OH but those were some quality tasting notes.

Thanks for the props! Just performing my duty for the community!

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

Only three minutes to go. Guess I shouldn't pass up a chance for a Woot Cellars, but I may just be buying for the label. Sounds a little light for my taste, but I have to say, I've been enjoying the Mc Clean Royale, which I thought would be too light too. We shall see.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Arrived today. Fun labels. Anyone know the drinking window so we can update Cellar Tracker?