WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Woot Cellars Phat Goose Red Blend (5)

Speed to First Woot:
0m 46.008s
First Sucker:
chipgreen
Last Wooter to Woot:
Alison Gail Bixby
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 38% of Wine Woots
Top 49% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 12% of Wine Woots
Top 19% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 1% first woot
  • 1% second woot
  • 5% < 10 woots
  • 9% < 25 woots
  • 83% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 1% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 3% one year old
  • 95% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 74% bought 1
  • 21% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

15%
4%
2%
2%
1%
3%
4%
11%
9%
8%
6%
4%
4%
3%
1%
3%
2%
2%
1%
2%
3%
3%
3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1558 Private Messages Cesare

Woot Cellars Phat Goose 2011 Red Blend 5-Pack
$59.00
2011 Woot Cellars Phat Goose Red Blend, Central Coast
CT link above

Winery website

My tasting notes:
Purple color, smells fruity, a little candy maybe some spice. Not too complex.
Tastes fruity and kind of grapey, baking spice, some oak, hint of sweetness, low tannin, not hot. Light to medium bodied. Short finish.
Simple but tasty. I think this would pair with a variety of foods and is ready to drink now.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

Yay, first sucker! Sorry, CAGrl

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 25th.

December
12/8: SoCal #23: Housewarming at Chez Klez(man) (West LA/Culver City)
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend


No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.




So join or create a WW Gathering!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Strangely, I have a bottle of this. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you where it came from – it’s so hard to keep track of so many bottles, you know? Here are SWMBO’s and my notes:

PnP at cellar temp:
Me: pretty, diaphanous, magenta color. Pretty closed nose, a bit of red fruit is barely peeking through. Palate has thin flavor. Tannins and acid, neither of which are very strong, are out of balance. Front and mid-palates are pretty hollow.
SWMBO: “I really like it.” She says the tannins are mild which she likes. She describes it as smooth.

After about an hour:
Me: much more expressive nose -- nothing complex, but certainly fruit coming through. Palate is much fuller. The wine is far more balanced with the tannins and acid, which (to my disappointment) have both almost completely disappeared. The finish is really short. The wine is sweeter (not sugar/RS sweet). It shows berries and that’s about it. If this wine is in the $9-$12 price point, I think it’s a nice daily drinker, although I’m not sure I’d grab this over a CdR (which range from $10-$16).
SWMBO: she says sweet berry (without knowing I said the same thing). SWMBO likes it although, when forced to compare, a bit less compared to the PnP. She feels the tannins more now (I think because they don’t spike at the end only; they’re more present throughout the entire palate, although not really strong for my palate). She’s guessing this wine would be around $15.

All in all, not a flawed, bad, or un-enjoyable wine. Simple, not tannic or acidic (perhaps not the most food friendly wine, although for a light chicken dish, it’d work). It’s competing with CdR and other domestic GSM blends. I’m guessing (since I don’t know the price yet) that it would beat most, if not all, domestic GSMs but I’m not sure it stands up to a village-level CdR. For me, it’s drinkable, although not exciting. SWMBO would pay $15, but not more. I’m not sure I’d pay more than $10-$12, but in that range, it’s better than what you could find in the grocery store. Also, I think it’s worth mentioning that most of us who have been around long enough to taste multiple woot cellars offers agree that a year does wonders for woot cellars reds.

As always, I’m around. Questions, comments, insults, compliments, or cash donations are all welcome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tiger7610


quality posts: 16 Private Messages tiger7610

Anyone want to split the offering? I'm in Ithaca, NY

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

No interest in the wine, but that label is cool. Someone should work with shirt.woot when you're doing woot cellars offers and send a shirt along with each pack sold and offer them as a shirt to anyone else.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
chipgreen wrote:Yay, first sucker! Sorry, CAGrl


Boo!!! I tried so hard but I couldn't get it to connect! You suck!!! But much love to you.

rjquillin


quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin

I recently had the opportunity to sample the 2011 Woot Cellars Phat Goose bottled by our friends at Hahn Family Wines. Wanting to see how it may evolve over a couple days, I pulled the cork and immediately decanted half into an empty 375ml bottle, topped it with Ar, immediately re-corked and back into the chiller. About 4 oz. of the remaining went into a glass and the ~1/2 empty 750 was re-corked without the aid of Ar. and also went back to the chiller.

Visually this appears dark ruby to purple of a very young wine.


Day 1

Pop-n-pour; pretty tight, I'll come back in an hour or two after it's warmed a bit.

Generally closed nose, perhaps a bit of cherry cola, berry fruit and a slight herbaceousness.

Definitely dry and crisp, and tasting a bit hot, not sure if it's the 14.5ABV, or could just be a bit of acid, or even the pepper of the syrah showing. Some fruit mid palate, with tannins showing up in a medium finish.

Paired this up with what was already planned for supper; grilled fillet topped with blue cheese, sauteed mushrooms, asparagus and potato slices broiled with EVOO salt and pepper. Didn't feel that this was the greatest matchup. While it held up, it just didn't complement the meal, and perhaps that asparagus was responsible for a slight metallic note in the finish.


Day 2

Tasting with neutral crackers and water...
Two 6 oz. pours;
For the 375 capped with Ar, it showed identical to day one.
For the ½ bottle 750, after an hour in the glass;
Same the same general impressions as day one, somewhat closed, but the berry and cola remain and dominate.

It's calmed down a bit, the entry is fruitier with a hint of sweetness, still has the fruit in the mid palate, but the finish is a bit more tart and the tannins are still there.

Paired with supper of ham and three bean soup, garden salad, warm bread with garlic olive oil and balsamic dip. A much better match-up this evening.

On to some fun drinking, some hard cheeses, goat, sheep and cow, a chunk of Point Reyes Original Blue and some tapenade with crackers. Either this is working better, or I've already had too much to drink. You'll have to decide on that.

At $12 it's pretty much drinking right at it's price point.
I'm hoping this may age into a well integrated woot! wine, say in a year or two.

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mschauber wrote:No interest in the wine, but that label is cool. Someone should work with shirt.woot when you're doing woot cellars offers and send a shirt along with each pack sold and offer them as a shirt to anyone else.



They have made shirts twice. Once was Polyphemus (the shirt was actually pretty cool) and Albino Rhino (the shirt sucked).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20


quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Strangely, I have a bottle of this. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you where it came from – it’s so hard to keep track of so many bottles, you know? Here are SWMBO’s and my notes:

PnP at cellar temp:
Me: pretty, diaphanous, magenta color. Pretty closed nose, a bit of red fruit is barely peeking through. Palate has thin flavor. Tannins and acid, neither of which are very strong, are out of balance. Front and mid-palates are pretty hollow.
SWMBO: “I really like it.” She says the tannins are mild which she likes. She describes it as smooth.

After about an hour:
Me: much more expressive nose -- nothing complex, but certainly fruit coming through. Palate is much fuller. The wine is far more balanced with the tannins and acid, which (to my disappointment) have both almost completely disappeared. The finish is really short. The wine is sweeter (not sugar/RS sweet). It shows berries and that’s about it. If this wine is in the $9-$12 price point, I think it’s a nice daily drinker, although I’m not sure I’d grab this over a CdR (which range from $10-$16).
SWMBO: she says sweet berry (without knowing I said the same thing). SWMBO likes it although, when forced to compare, a bit less compared to the PnP. She feels the tannins more now (I think because they don’t spike at the end only; they’re more present throughout the entire palate, although not really strong for my palate). She’s guessing this wine would be around $15.

All in all, not a flawed, bad, or un-enjoyable wine. Simple, not tannic or acidic (perhaps not the most food friendly wine, although for a light chicken dish, it’d work). It’s competing with CdR and other domestic GSM blends. I’m guessing (since I don’t know the price yet) that it would beat most, if not all, domestic GSMs but I’m not sure it stands up to a village-level CdR. For me, it’s drinkable, although not exciting. SWMBO would pay $15, but not more. I’m not sure I’d pay more than $10-$12, but in that range, it’s better than what you could find in the grocery store. Also, I think it’s worth mentioning that most of us who have been around long enough to taste multiple woot cellars offers agree that a year does wonders for woot cellars reds.

As always, I’m around. Questions, comments, insults, compliments, or cash donations are all welcome.



its a 2011 so I think your right. Its not meant to really age at this price point but it may not really be at its peak either. I usually give woot cellars reds some time in the cellar before starting to open them up, usually 6-12 months.

Some recent woot cellars like the fruit bomber is meant to drink now though and I don't think it will ever change for the better.

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

Snuck into the sneak preview for this wine and bootlegged some tasting notes.

In the glass: Deep ruby, almost violet. Medium, closely spaced legs.

On the nose: Bright fruit. Candied cherry, raspberry, boysenberry and a hint of oak.

On the palate: Fruit is darker and a little more subdued than on the nose, oak is more prominent. Good acidity with mild tannins on the short/medium finish.

Not especially complex but well integrated and paired wonderfully with some Malley's milk chocolate.
I don't think this wine will benefit much from aging, it's more of a "drink now" wine but could be cellared for 2-3 years as well.

All in all a very tasty wine with great QPR for approx. $13/bottle shipped. Just what you would expect from Hahn Family Wines (and Woot! Cellars)!

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

So I happened to have a bottle of this wine. Can't say where I got it but it's pretty good. Not complex but drank well for the 5 hours it took me to finish the bottle. Yes, I finished the bottle by myself.

So upon opening, not a lot of heat. I got black cherries on the nose right away. Got cherries and leather on the first sip. Not a long finish. No heat on the nose.

Even throughout the night, it didn't really evolve or change. Just stayed the same. At least that was my impression. I liked it.

Hubby said he could drink this. He's not a wine drinker at all. Easy drinking and I picked up 10 bottles of it. I really liked it for this price point and the label is awesome!!!

Definitely not complex and not ageable but drinkable.

cortot20


quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:They have made shirts twice. Once was Polyphemus (the shirt was actually pretty cool) and Albino Rhino (the shirt sucked).



I recall washing me car with the albino rhino shirt.

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
CAGrl wrote:Boo!!! I tried so hard but I couldn't get it to connect! You suck!!! But much love to you.



I had the same problem, it kept saying that it couldn't find the page so after 3-4 tries, I clicked on the picture to go to the details page and bought it from there.

publicart


quality posts: 7 Private Messages publicart
cortot20 wrote:its a 2011 so I think your right. Its not meant to really age at this price point but it may not really be at its peak either. I usually give woot cellars reds some time in the cellar before starting to open them up, usually 6-12 months.

Some recent woot cellars like the fruit bomber is meant to drink now though and I don't think it will ever change for the better.



The Woot Cellars Blitzen from TY Canton just keeps getting better and better, and it cost a little less. So I don't know if price really has much to do with it when it's a woot cellars.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PHAT Goose

57% Grenache, 39% Syrah, 4% Mourvedre

Parker Wine Rating scale score: 88 (Very Good)


It is a deep velvet ruby, with thick, prominent drip legs. Not much heat on the tongue, but using a normal Syrah glass I did notice the alcohol at 14.5%. Tasted using a normal Cab glass and a normal (larger) Syrah glass, both cut rim.

Nose of berry and spice; light to light-medium body; low to medium smooth tannins; full rich palate starts with blackberry and raspberry; medium finish.

I give it an 88 score on the Parker scale.


GSM’s are not normally my favorites, but this one is acceptable.



More in a bit after I drink some more.


Edit 1: I expect this to be better after another 6 to 12 months in the bottle, probably a little less, since it's a 2011 and from Hahn.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
chipgreen wrote:I had the same problem, it kept saying that it couldn't find the page so after 3-4 tries, I clicked on the picture to go to the details page and bought it from there.


I wanted to see my name in lights!!! Is that too much to ask for???

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

A friend of a friend gave me this wine a litte while back and it just so happened that I opened it this weekend.

Note from myself and SWMBO:

Phat Goose
Pop and pour

Color: clear ruby red, not densely pigmented

Nose:
His: brandied strawberries, raspberries, a hint of forest floor and some heat.

Hers: bright cherry, raspberry, marzipan. A little something green.

Palate:
His: raspberries and black cherries. A bit of very fine tannin and a medium almond finish. Decent concentration. Very good acid leaves you wanting more. Tuesday night+ wine

Hers: cherries and strawberries. A note of dried fig and hints of vanilla and hazelnut. Tastes juicy without being overly commercial. Relatively short but mouthwatering finish.

A day later:

His: Strangely almost identical in most respects. Perhaps a bit more bramble on the nose and a touch of bitterness on the palate. I liked it better the first day but not by much.


This is overall a fairly simple wine (as are most at this price point.) I did like the moutwattering aspect to it and that it begged for another sip. I like it at this price point but would find $20 to be too much.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

prttymf8


quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

Is this the annual woot holiday wine?

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

In for 2 after a long buying hiatus. Need some GSM representation in the cellar and digging (if not wowed) by the initial tasting notes. Sounds like this one will be fun.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

loveladyelectric


quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Is this from Paso Robles? I'm a huge sucker for Paso Robles Syrah and GSM, and it would be nice to have something from there with this price point.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff


Hop over to the new week-long pop-up shop!





Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

threemoons


quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Always up for Woot Cellars offering. In for one.

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
MarkDaSpark wrote:PHAT Goose

57% Grenache, 39% Syrah, 4% Mourvedre

Parker Wine Rating scale score: 88 (Very Good)


It is a deep velvet ruby, with thick, prominent drip legs. Not much heat on the tongue, but using a normal Syrah glass I did notice the alcohol at 14.5%. Tasted using a normal Cab glass and a normal (larger) Syrah glass, both cut rim.

Nose of berry and spice; light to light-medium body; low to medium smooth tannins; full rich palate starts with blackberry and raspberry; medium finish.

I give it an 88 score on the Parker scale.


GSM’s are not normally my favorites, but this one is acceptable.



More in a bit after I drink some more.


Edit 1: I expect this to be better after another 6 to 12 months in the bottle, probably a little less, since it's a 2011 and from Hahn.



Since all the usual subjects received labrat bottles of this, does that mean the labrat program is actually starting up again?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mschauber wrote:Since all the usual subjects received bottles of this, does that mean that Santa came early?



IFTFY. This was from my massive cellar. Which magically finds new Woot Cellar wines.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20


quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
mschauber wrote:Since all the usual subjects received bottles of this, does that mean that I believe in magic?



Shhhhhhhhhhhh! They don't know where they came from. Pulls out MIB short term memory eraser doodad. Smile for the camera!

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
CAGrl wrote:I wanted to see my name in lights!!! Is that too much to ask for???



I would almost feel bad if I didn't know that you've been First Sucker before. I don't remember which wine but it did look good on you.

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
chipgreen wrote:I would almost feel bad if I didn't know that you've been First Sucker before. I don't remember which wine but it did look good on you.


Hahaha. Non wine actually. It was the Brandini poppers. Now to try again for a wine!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff


PS: Don't overlook the Chocolate Covered Wine Grapes on the Pop-up site.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Cesare


quality posts: 1558 Private Messages Cesare
ThunderThighs wrote:PS: Don't overlook the Chocolate Covered Wine Grapes on the Pop-up site.


Damn you

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

matthew


quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
prttymf8 wrote:Is this the annual woot holiday wine?



Yep!

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Santa also dropped a bottle of this wine off in Texas.

Quick question: can anyone compare this to Hahns normal GSM. This says it is specifically made for woot and the blend is slightly different. Curious on the taste difference.

Notes:

Not getting much on the nose on this one. Medium body, a bit lighter than other GSM blends I've had. Taste is on the simple side with a touch of sweetness, but this is not a fruitbomb.

My girlfriend enjoyed it, but she noted that she got a yeastiness from it.

My favorite GSM I've purchased off Woot is the Tallulah Les Trois Voix. I wouldn't put this holiday Woot in that ballpark, but this GSM is a decent amount cheaper.

Easy drinker. Good for a weekday drinker or a holiday party. Should also go over well with casual wine drinkers.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

prttymf8


quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
matthew wrote:Yep!



Excellent. In for 2.

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
Cesare wrote:Damn you



x2!

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
loveladyelectric wrote:Is this from Paso Robles? I'm a huge sucker for Paso Robles Syrah and GSM, and it would be nice to have something from there with this price point.



Soledad

EDIT: Well, that's what it says on the bottle but the Woot description mentions that the Hahn Family vineyards are in the Santa Lucia Highlands of Monterey County.

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2011 Phat Goose

PnP

Color: Magenta, medium color concentration.
Nose: Sweet blueberry, blackberry and sweet spice; cardamon and star anise.
Palate: Ripe raspberry, cherry and plum. Some of the sweet spice from the nose carries to the finish. Very light tannin.

30 minutes in, the nose is similar but has gained intensity.

1 hour in, a floral aspect appeared in the nose. Rose or lavender.

I enjoyed this wine with Chinese food; spicy shrimp and broccoli, sweet and sour pork, fried shrimp and chicken chow mein. The ripeness of the wine paired very well with the spiciness of the shrimp. The acidity definitely cut through the fatty food, no problem. A great food wine!

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:IFTFY. This was from my massive cellar. Which magically finds new Woot Cellar wines.



I'm wondering how my cellar missed this one...it's so close to yours!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jlemos


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlemos

In for one on my 1st Woot Cellars offer. Hope it's good!

time2testit


quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

OK. Woot cellars, GSM, need holiday wine for office gifts, auto-buy. In for 2!

Woot Cellars Phat Goose Red Blend (5)

Speed to First Woot:
0m 46.008s
First Sucker:
chipgreen
Last Wooter to Woot:
time2testit
Last Purchase:
a minute ago