WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Stocking Stuffers II: The Wrath Of Haun(akah)

The truth is, a nice gift shouldn't be specific to any holiday season. You love your Christian friend, you love your Jewish friend, you love your Atheist friend, you love your Trekker friend, you love your friend. Buy 'em a nice bottle of wine to show you care. If they like to drink, they'll appreciate it.

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1627 Private Messages Cesare

Stocking Stuffers II: The Wrath Of Haun(akah)

Summerland Winery Santa Barbara County 2007 Pinot Noir Half-Bottle 12-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $144.00) 31% off List Price
2007 Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara County 375ml

Castoro Cellars 2009 Merlot 1/2 Bottle Case
$87.99 (Normally $145.16) 39% off List Price
2009 Castoro Merlot, Paso Robles 375ml

Miner Family 2010 Viognier 1/2 Bottle Case
$97.99 (Normally $179.86) 46% off List Price
2010 Miner Family Viognier, Simpson Vineyard 375ml

Arcadian Holiday 1/2 Bottle Sampler 4-Pack
$84.99 (Normally $141.95) 40% off List Price
2005 Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir, Santa Lucia Highlands 375ml
2005 Fiddlestix Pinot Noir, Santa Rita Hills 375ml
2006 Stolpman Syrah, Santa Ynez Valley 375ml
2006 Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay, Santa Lucia Highlands 375ml

Quady 2010 Electra Moscato Half-Bottle Case
$89.99 (Normally $136.30) 34% off List Price
2010 Quady Electra Moscato 375 ml

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Speaking of Chanukah/Haun(akah)/Hannukkah, are you planning to sell any kosher wines this week?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mjc613 wrote:Speaking of Chanukah/Haun(akah)/Hannukkah, are you planning to sell any kosher wines this week?

Good question. We'll see if the powers that be are up for dropping any hints one way or another.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Oh man I love Arcadian pinot....did not think I would see this on Woot...this really will hurt the budget!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

yadler1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yadler1

I hope your Jewish friends don't drink kosher, or else this is not for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laceym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laceym

Are we going to get something from Woot Cellars like last year's Adequate Gift?

Edit: got my answer in another thread.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

What? No case of Manischewitz???

quadywinery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quadywinery

Get your fizz on this holiday season with Quady’s Electra! Electra’s effervescent, sweet, light and refreshing apple and strawberry notes will enhance Christmas brunch or dinner. Light up their eyes with Electra in their stocking this year … unless Santa finds it HO! HO! HO!

chipgreen

quality posts: 190 Private Messages chipgreen
quadywinery wrote:Get your fizz on this holiday season with Quady’s Electra! Electra’s effervescent, sweet, light and refreshing apple and strawberry notes will enhance Christmas brunch or dinner. Light up their eyes with Electra in their stocking this year … unless Santa finds it first!

While I prefer the more full powered Quady Essensia, the Electra is a tasty low-alcohol alternative. As the description states there is only 4% alcohol, so one 375ml half bottle of this is pretty much the equivalent of drinking a 12oz (354ml) domestic beer, alcohol-wise.

Although I have 4 full sized bottles in my cellar, I'm thinking of buying these Baby Jesus bottles for gifting. My g/f really likes this wine and when we took a bottle of it to a party we got several compliments including a couple people who said they didn't normally care for Moscato but liked the Electra.

....and done!
Speed to First Woot: 13m 37.884s
First Sucker: MeDebbieT
Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:While I prefer the more full powered Quady Essensia, the Electra is a tasty low-alcohol alternative. As the description states there is only 4% alcohol, so one 375ml half bottle of this is pretty much the equivalent of drinking a 12oz (354ml) domestic beer, alcohol-wise.

Although I have 4 full sized bottles in my cellar, I'm thinking of buying these Baby Jesus bottles for gifting. My g/f really likes this wine and when we took a bottle of it to a party we got several compliments including a couple people who said they didn't normally care for Moscato but liked the Electra.

....and done!

Speed to First Woot: 13m 37.884s
First Sucker: MeDebbieT
Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen

You can add one of those to our list...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

North316 wrote:You can add one of those to our list...

pm

richellelander

quality posts: 18 Private Messages richellelander

Finally! A wine I am brave enough to buy over the internet. I am not a wine expert by any means so I never know if I am getting what I want. I've heard people ask if I tried this stuff. I figure I'll keep one for me, and give out the rest as stocking stuffers.

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. ~~Franklin P. Jones

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

In on the miner Viognier case. My wife loves that wine.

CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Sure would be nice if we could mix and match.... WD, you should consider a 'choose your own mix case.' You could offer a case for $99 and then let us select 4 sets of 3 bottles. Just a thought.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

^That^

4 different 12 packs, but no 12 pack w/ 3 of each variety.

mschauber

xochiluvr wrote:^That^

4 different 12 packs, but no 12 pack w/ 3 of each variety.

Not sure what you are saying? This deal has 4 different 12 packs in it. I wasn't suggesting a 12 pack with 3 of each variety. And I guess, looking at it more closely, my suggestion would have worked better with the previous deal where each case has multiple varieties in it, so let's say you'd have 8-12 different varieties to choose from. I don't remember the details of the last deal well enough to say exactly. But the idea is some people may want a little of everything, so may only want white, but not 12 bottles of the exact same one, same for red, or maybe ones desires are more finite than just red/white.

In this particular deal, I would take a case with 4 x Pinot Noir, 4 x Merlot, & 4 x Moscoto.

If I could find a handful of people that lived in NYC that wanted to create WW cooperative, we could work it out so we could all get smaller quantities but of more variety.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
mschauber wrote:Not sure what you are saying? This deal has 4 different 12 packs in it. I wasn't suggesting a 12 pack with 3 of each variety.
In this particular deal, I would take a case with 4 x Pinot Noir, 4 x Merlot, & 4 x Moscoto.

"let us select 4 sets of 3 bottles. Just a thought."

That's how I read it too. For some price the buyer selects four sets of three, or three sets of four. But likely that would take a lot of handling, not just shoving cases around. Still, I like the idea.

CT

sam021384

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sam021384

Woot!, You seriously wasted your once-a-year Hanukah joke on a sale for non-kosher wine?
Way to go, Woot!
(if you do decide to sell kosher wine, PLEASE NO Manischewitz!)

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

Half-bottles? We don't want no stinkin' half-bottles. Give us quadruple-bottles! Carboys! Casks!

I mean, if ya really care about your "friends"...

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

mrsstjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsstjohn
richellelander wrote:Finally! A wine I am brave enough to buy over the internet. I am not a wine expert by any means so I never know if I am getting what I want. I've heard people ask if I tried this stuff. I figure I'll keep one for me, and give out the rest as stocking stuffers.

Haha. Once you taste it, you won't want to give ANY away.

minerwines

quality posts: 1 Private Messages minerwines
cortot20 wrote:In on the miner Viognier case. My wife loves that wine.

Thanks! I hope she enjoys! 2010 is one of the best vintages we made. Cool weather, high acid, lower alcohol!

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
quadywinery wrote:Get your fizz on this holiday season with Quady’s Electra! Electra’s effervescent, sweet, light and refreshing apple and strawberry notes will enhance Christmas brunch or dinner. Light up their eyes with Electra in their stocking this year … unless Santa finds it first!

Hey quadywinery: I might be in for this deal with a price adjustment. The Quady Electra Moscato is selling at your winery website for $5.99 a bottle or $71.88 a case plus shipping/tax vs. woot plus price of $89.99. Woot plus incorrectly posts original retail of $10/bottle rather than the current winery website price of $5.99/bottle. Only save a few bucks as this deal is currently offered.

Do a price adjustment and I'm in for 2 or 3 cases.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

My wife loves the moscato. It's very sweet with citrus hints. I'm in for a case.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bobrush12866 wrote:Hey quadywinery: I might be in for this deal with a price adjustment. The Quady Electra Moscato is selling at your winery website for $5.99 a bottle or $71.88 a case plus shipping/tax vs. woot plus price of $89.99. Woot plus incorrectly posts original retail of $10/bottle rather than the current winery website price of $5.99/bottle. Only save a few bucks as this deal is currently offered.

Do a price adjustment and I'm in for 2 or 3 cases.

..yeah, we saw this and called the winery to voice our concern. We dug a little deeper and discovered substantial shipping charges- thus ours is still the best deal to be had.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

mschauber

neilfindswine wrote:..yeah, we saw this and called the winery to voice our concern. We dug a little deeper and discovered substantial shipping charges- thus ours is still the best deal to be had.

While I can't stand WW's math and their overt attempt at fraudulently making you think you are saving more than you really are, in this case I went to their website and the cost for this case from them, shipping to NYC is: $115.77. The WW price to NYC is: $94.99. The savings is: 18%. Nothing to balk at, but not a WW savings deal at all.

You really have to be careful these days. If you do your own research and math, you'll find reality and what WW purports to be reality aren't that close.

--
My CT

chipgreen

neilfindswine wrote:..yeah, we saw this and called the winery to voice our concern. We dug a little deeper and discovered substantial shipping charges- thus ours is still the best deal to be had.

Bad Quady, bad! Still saving $20 by going through woot though, $25 if shipping is already covered from having purchased another deal.

bobrush12866

Value of deal calculated by using the winewoot formula:

Winery website price $5.99 x 12 = $71.88
Average shipping = $15.00
Average Tax = 6.30
less woot shipping -($5.00)
MSRP = $93.18

Woot Plus price $89.99 plus shipping!

After adding shipping of $5.00...savings = (ZIP!)

Sorry, but have to pass on this although I do want some. Unfortunately, missed out on the Quady plus deal for the 750ml bottles of the same wine, which was a much better deal at $59.99 for 6 bottles.

If you're claiming there is a 34% savings in this offer, this deal should have been priced similarly to the woot plus deal for 6 750ml bottles for $59.99. Not sure why the same quantity of wine, 12 375ml bottles, warrants a $30 premium over the same quantity of wine in 6 750ml bottles...just saying, it doesn't make sense!

WD: The right thing to do on this offering is a price adjustment!

mschauber

bobrush12866 wrote:Value of deal calculated by using the winewoot formula:

Winery website price $5.99 x 12 = $71.88
Average shipping = $15.00
Average Tax = 6.30
less woot shipping -($5.00)
MSRP = $93.18

Woot Plus price $89.99 plus shipping!

After adding shipping of $5.00...savings = (ZIP!)

Sorry, but have to pass on this although I do want some. Unfortunately, missed out on the Quady plus deal for the 750ml bottles of the same wine, which was a much better deal at $59.99 for 6 bottles.

If you're claiming there is a 34% savings in this offer, this deal should have been priced similarly to the woot plus deal for 6 750ml bottles for $59.99. Not sure why the same quantity of wine, 12 375ml bottles, warrants a $30 premium over the same quantity of wine in 6 750ml bottles...just saying, it doesn't make sense!

WD: The right thing to do on this offering is a price adjustment!

This is EXACTLY why woot math is more than just flawed but actually deceptive. There are 50 states plus DC. There are thousands of cities. Woot is doing their customers a disservice by using "average" tax and shipping. Those #'s are meaningless to most customers.

The true comparison is between the vineyards retail (or current web price) and woots price. Period.

The #'s no longer bother me b/c I know they are factually wrong. It's the fact that woot has chosen to deceive it's customers as a way of increasing sales. Hiding your math in the specs tab is, well deceptive itself b/c pricing is not a spec. Alcohol content is a spec.

If you want to show users how much tax and shipping will cost them, link them to the vineyard website or code your site to pull the data in from the vineyard. You are showing a real lack of respect for your customers. Some percentage won't care and will buy simply because it's a woot deal. Some will have no idea they need to look for the pricing details and then calculate for themselves what the savings really is. Some, those for which your "averages" match their costs will probably appreciate it. And some think that such overt attempts to full your customers is fraudulent and will find other sources for some or all of their shopping.

Do what's right and stick to retail prices and nothing else. That's the only fair and legitimate way to do it.

--
My CT

chipgreen

It's not WD's fault that Quady decided to discount the Electra 375s on its own website at the same time as being featured here. It does say right next to the $5.99 price on their website that it is regularly $10/bottle.

While I have mixed feelings about the new wine.woot discount formula, this is not a good deal to use as an example, since woot was undercut by the winery.

bobrush12866

chipgreen wrote:It's not WD's fault that Quady decided to discount the Electra 375s on its own website at the same time as being featured here. It does say right next to the $5.99 price on their website that it is regularly $10/bottle.

While I have mixed feelings about the new wine.woot discount formula, this is not a good deal to use as an example, since woot was undercut by the winery.

Winery cut the price to $5.99 since it was not priced right to begin with. They had it priced at $10 for 375ml and $13 for a 750ml. Easy choice....the larger bottle for $3 more. The 375mls were incorrectly priced too high and this is what the plus deal was based on.

chipgreen

bobrush12866 wrote:Winery cut the price to $5.99 since it was not priced right to begin with. They had it priced at $10 for 375ml and $13 for a 750ml. Easy choice....the larger bottle for $3 more. The 375mls were incorrectly priced too high and this is what the plus deal was based on.

But woot also listed average shipping at $15 and Quady wanted to charge me $36 for shipping. I don't know if Quady jacked up the shipping to balance out the lower per bottle cost or if woot was just winging it with the original $15 estimate. Either way, I saved $20 buying through woot.

I'd be more upset if I bought one of the $22 wine keys today that sell for $11-12 on Amazon than I am about having purchased the Electra 375s.

bobrush12866

chipgreen wrote:But woot also listed average shipping at $15 and Quady wanted to charge me $36 for shipping. I don't know if Quady jacked up the shipping to balance out the lower per bottle cost or if woot was just winging it with the original $15 estimate. Either way, I saved $20 buying through woot.

I'd be more upset if I bought one of the $22 wine keys today that sell for $11-12 on Amazon than I am about having purchased the Electra 375s.

Unfortunately, I couldn't commit to buying it at this price. Wanted to try it, but it makes it pretty easy to PASS on this offer!

WD should have adjusted the pricing on this offer, since it has been done before in instances like this, unless the winery did not want to budge. If that's the case, I vote for not inviting them back!

Don't fret WD & TT, Wine Woot will get my money on another deal!

In fact, I just spent some of it on 3 boxes of Fleur de Sel Salted Milk and Dark Chocolate Covered Caramels on Home Woot!

hookhams

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hookhams

This may have been discussed before...hope someone could (link) to me - I normally do my homework but tonight am very tired
=========

Can someone please let me in on why someone should order 1/2 bottles?

I do not see any true "pros" except for those people that want to look cool drinking the entire bottle (Wine Wednesday womens night anyone?)

Hmm for me, I would want full bottles especially for gift-giving or just to crack open and share with a lady for a nice date over a home-cooked meal.

-Hookster

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
hookhams wrote:This may have been discussed before...hope someone could (link) to me - I normally do my homework but tonight am very tired.

There's no benefit wine-wise. It's just convenience if you're with a non-wine drinker or alone. They're also convenient for something like Porto or LH wines since you drink so much less at a time.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
hookhams wrote:This may have been discussed before...hope someone could (link) to me - I normally do my homework but tonight am very tired
=========

Can someone please let me in on why someone should order 1/2 bottles?

I do not see any true "pros" except for those people that want to look cool drinking the entire bottle (Wine Wednesday womens night anyone?)

Hmm for me, I would want full bottles especially for gift-giving or just to crack open and share with a lady for a nice date over a home-cooked meal.

-Hookster

My wife only enjoys white wine (where I drink a lot more red)so the 1/2 bottles if priced appropriately are perfect, she can open it and know there's exactly two glasses of wine it and have no fear of spoilage if she doesn't get the 2nd half of a 750ml bottle with in night or two.

CT

chipgreen

You can put a bottle in each sock and sneak them into the movies. Whee!

richellelander

Could these things take any longer to ship? My order "Shipped" a week after I ordered it, but that just means the label was printed. The carrier didn't actually get it until 5 days later. I'm going to pass on this one, next time. Maybe I should avoid wine.woot all together if this is the service I am going to get from their winery partners.

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. ~~Franklin P. Jones

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

richellelander wrote:Could these things take any longer to ship? My order "Shipped" a week after I ordered it, but that just means the label was printed. The carrier didn't actually get it until 5 days later. I'm going to pass on this one, next time. Maybe I should avoid wine.woot all together if this is the service I am going to get from their winery partners.

Can it take longer?
Heck yeah!

Take a look at our FAQ:

"How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies."

Seriously, sorry about the delay. It's usually pretty quick, but everybody's slammed this time of year, I'm sure.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

richellelander

PemberDucky wrote:Can it take longer?
Heck yeah!

Take a look at our FAQ:

"How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies."

Seriously, sorry about the delay. It's usually pretty quick, but everybody's slammed this time of year, I'm sure.

I can understand the two to three week thing, really I can. But when you tell me it's shipped and then wait 5 days to give it to the carrier? That's what bugs me the most. I'll remember this next time though. I mainly got these to shove in peoples stockings. It should get here in time for that, so there is no harm this time. I would also suggest selling Voulet Antichi Giochi Piemontesi Cfasorzo 2011. That stuff is borderline grape juice with a hint of fizz. I'd buy as many of that as I possibly could if you had it. it's $18 a bottle here. Thank you for your response.