shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu

For those that are on the fence, here's the CT link for the Rasmussen Forte:

https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/wine.asp?iWine=1266555

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

MissBehaving

quality posts: 12 Private Messages MissBehaving

About the apricots, are they preserved with anything or just natural?

gina3graces

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gina3graces

Auto pilot with a big hellyeah coming in for landing...

Candy Basket salted pecan patties in both dark and milk chocolate---an auto 3 orders

nadh

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nadh

Approximate delivery time for olive oil to SW Florida and to Michigan? We are between winter residences (Michigan/Florida) and must decide to which address to have it sent.

Same dilemma last year.

To those on the fence who have never tried this, my husband does NOT care for olives, but LOVES this oil! Slightly "green" bright peppery flavor. Delicious finishing oil on pasta, fabulous for dipping. Truly a gustatory treat!

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

Time to go into debt with this woot special.

The olive oil is delightful. I had no problem storing it in a dark pantry (meaning out of direct light, not pitch dark) for several months. I used it for salad dressings and other noncooking uses, primarily for dipping bread. It needs no added spices, just all by itself is wonderful. It blew away the pricier stuff from Williams-Sonoma that I received as a Christmas gift.

The charcuterie package we bought last time was wonderful but it was a smaller pack with less variety. I added the herbed pancetta to my arrabiata sauce and it took an already delicious sauce to a whole new level! Served the others as simple appetizers and everyone raved.

I don't need to comment on the balsamic, plenty have already posted but add me as a fan. Still have some because we use it sparingly and use the grocery store stuff for salad dressing.

All in all, I'm glad I have a high credit limit for today!

kbsig106

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kbsig106

Oh Creminelli Salami! I'm so happy I checked wine woot this morning. I love this stuff at the holiday's or year round :-).

My taste buds thank you Woot!

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

No comments yet on the preserves? I found some previous woots and they had generally very good reviews. The company rep came on and verified that he/she is from France and uses the same recipes and methods. Also yelp had four reviews, all five star.

Do I dare spend more today?????

wvutkep1002

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wvutkep1002
hokienutzz wrote:I hope the balsamic and olive oil are as good as everyone says or my wife is going to kill me. She'll probably do that anyway thanks to the Esoterica deal today. There just isn't anymore room left in our guest shower turned wine cellar.

Can't speak to the olive oil but the balsamic is amazing. Serve it drizzled over a scoop of Häagen-Dazs vanilla and you're in heaven!

I just keep buying more and more crap...

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie
rjquillin wrote:I have no experience with the olio nuovo oil, but reading the notes, it appears this doesn't keep well. Can anyone enlighten me a bit for both opened and unopened storage?

I've bought this for the last several years. It retains its bright green color and fresh, sharp, almost grassy flavor for a couple of months after opening when stored in a dark, cool place, but it eventually mellows out into a less exciting version of itself. I don't know how it would store unopened.

I had some of my December 2011 bottle just last night with a crusty loaf of bread, some grape tomatoes, local cheese,and some of the Cavedoni balsamic vinegar. Still good olive oil once it ages a little but lacks the extreme taste & color of its youth.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
spammie wrote:I've bought this for the last several years. It retains its bright green color and fresh, sharp, almost grassy flavor for a couple of months after opening when stored in a dark, cool place, but it eventually mellows out into a less exciting version of itself. I don't know how it would store unopened.

I had some of my December 2011 bottle just last night with a crusty loaf of bread, some grape tomatoes, local cheese,and some of the Cavedoni balsamic vinegar. Still good olive oil once it ages a little but lacks the extreme taste & color of its youth.

Went in for two last night when I still had FS from all the other goodies. Exactly the info I was hoping for. TNX!

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

Any comments on the grpeseed oils? Curious about trying but uneasy about their taste and whether id enjoy them. Also, waht about the rubs? Thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy
kmontrose wrote:No comments yet on the preserves? I found some previous woots and they had generally very good reviews. The company rep came on and verified that he/she is from France and uses the same recipes and methods. Also yelp had four reviews, all five star.

Do I dare spend more today?????

I ordered these last year for gourmet food baskets and saved some for myself too. I have to say that while they were well made, I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would. They were mustier than the gourmet fruit-and-flower/herb preserves I was used to from high end dept stores in the uk. My set didn't include the strawberry one tho, which is a crying shame as cassis is one of my all time favorite flavors. I wound up using mine as sauce starters and glazes for pork chops and grilled chicken. I still have a couple of jars left too... I wonder how long they keep unopened in the pantry and opened but in the fridge?

All in all, my least favorite wine.woot purchase.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
spammie wrote:I've bought this for the last several years. It retains its bright green color and fresh, sharp, almost grassy flavor for a couple of months after opening when stored in a dark, cool place, but it eventually mellows out into a less exciting version of itself. I don't know how it would store unopened.

I bought some at the same time. Does your foil cap tighten? On mine, after I broke the seal, the cap just spun around and would never tighten. I keep it in a cabinet in the kitchen, not in the frig. Seems like it has a plastic inner snap cap. Initially, I tasted an olive pit flavor, but now it's mellowed and the way I like my oil. A second bottle was gifted to an old country Italian family and they loved it.

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant

this truly is an evilly enticing assortment, woot! i was planning to be so good after already buying seven other items from you this week, but now i find i must be in for the peppermint crunch candy and a bunch of creminelli sausage (some of which i can buy locally but can't get at this price)! it looks like i'm not sticking to my budget or my diet for the rest of 2012... <=]

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

nothinbutbirds

quality posts: 36 Private Messages nothinbutbirds
boatman72 wrote:I bought some at the same time. Does your foil cap tighten? On mine, after I broke the seal, the cap just spun around and would never tighten. I keep it in a cabinet in the kitchen, not in the frig. Seems like it has a plastic inner snap cap. Initially, I tasted an olive pit flavor, but now it's mellowed and the way I like my oil. A second bottle was gifted to an old country Italian family and they loved it.

You are wise not to refrigerate olive oil. It will congeal-and although it will reliquefy when brought back to room temperature-something is lost!

morachi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages morachi

I love port but rarely buy it for home.

What is the best way of storing after opening and how long will it keep and still be worth drinking?

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

I have to admit I'm a little surprised not to see a single item sold out yet. I figured the chocolates or the forte would be gone by now.

Woot is evil. And one thing is for sure, if you take a look at their books for December 2012, no one would ever know that John Boehner and Mitch McConnell are too busy laughing to actually sit down and do their jobs and to stop playing chicken with our economy, so that as of Jan 3rd we will be in a recession again

Oh, don't forget that Eric Cantor has already told the house they only have to show up for work 126 days in 2013. I thought we paid these snowmans to work not to obstruct and vacation all year?????

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
morachi wrote:I love port but rarely buy it for home.

What is the best way of storing after opening and how long will it keep and still be worth drinking?

Corked and in the fridge. You shouldn't notice much if any change for nearly 2 weeks and it will still be enjoyable for a month or more.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

shrdlu

morachi wrote:I love port but rarely buy it for home.

Although I can see someone has suggested putting it in the fridge, I would not. I always decant port, and leave it at room temperature. A very old port needs to be drunk quickly, once opened, but this one is quite young, and will easily keep for a month or more, if properly decanted.

Please no aerator or similar device. It shouldn't be necessary. I'm looking forward to this myself. KR quality is very dependable.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
shrdlu wrote:Although I can see someone has suggested putting it in the fridge, I would not. I always decant port, and leave it at room temperature. A very old port needs to be drunk quickly, once opened, but this one is quite young, and will easily keep for a month or more, if properly decanted.

Please no aerator or similar device. It shouldn't be necessary. I'm looking forward to this myself. KR quality is very dependable.

I've really enjoyed chilled port/forte. Curious why you wouldn't keep it in the fridge once opened? Also, wouldn't decanting it shorten the time during which you have to drink it?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
mschauber wrote:I've really enjoyed chilled port/forte. Curious why you wouldn't keep it in the fridge once opened? Also, wouldn't decanting it shorten the time during which you have to drink it?

Generally, you decant aged port because of the sediment.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

edoursler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edoursler

Is the forte just a sipping wine? Or will it pear will with food? If so what food? Do I have to buy port glasses?

shrdlu

mschauber wrote:I've really enjoyed chilled port/forte. Curious why you wouldn't keep it in the fridge once opened? Also, wouldn't decanting it shorten the time during which you have to drink it?

I've been drinking port (and other fortified wines) for many years. I prefer them at room temperature. A good port has more bouquet, more substance, when it is not chilled. Decanting is used to remove the sediment (as was noted elsewhere), and also to introduce it briefly to the air.

This is not actually port, though. It's a port-like fortified wine. (Just pointing it out)

shrdlu

edoursler wrote:Is the forte just a sipping wine? Or will it pear will with food? If so what food? Do I have to buy port glasses?

Fortified wines are for after dinner. At one time, gentlemen would retire to the Library or other male sanctuary with a glass of Port (or Brandy, or Cognac, or Armagnac) and a cigar, while the ladies might drink Sherry in the Parlour.

It's a sweet wine, with a higher alcohol content than wine.

You don't need special glasses for it. I've been known to have a small glass of port and vanilla ice cream, but then, I was never much of a follower of fashion.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
shrdlu wrote:I've been drinking port (and other fortified wines) for many years. I prefer them at room temperature. A good port has more bouquet, more substance, when it is not chilled. Decanting is used to remove the sediment (as was noted elsewhere), and also to introduce it briefly to the air.

This is not actually port, though. It's a port-like fortified wine. (Just pointing it out)

All wines are more expressive on the nose and palate at room temperature. The cold hides flavors and possibly more importantly, flaws.

As to food pairings, certainly as dessert. However, port always goes really well with soft, pungent cheeses. And, I recently read an article about port and seafood being paired together in Portugal. I haven't tried it, but...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

shrdlu

kylemittskus wrote:All wines are more expressive on the nose and palate at room temperature. The cold hides flavors and possibly more importantly, flaws.

As to food pairings, certainly as dessert. However, port always goes really well with soft, pungent cheeses. And, I recently read an article about port and seafood being paired together in Portugal. I haven't tried it, but...

Truly excellent point about the cheeses. I could see it with shell fish, or other equally rich items. Now I'm going to have to put aged cheese on the grocery list for when the Forte arrives...

UncleFluffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages UncleFluffy
shrdlu wrote:Truly excellent point about the cheeses. I could see it with shell fish, or other equally rich items. Now I'm going to have to put aged cheese on the grocery list for when the Forte arrives...

Stilton or Roquefort. And a few chilled apple slices on the other side of the plate.

hagbard78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hagbard78

On the grapeseed oils the picture and description talks about a basil infused oil, but on the 'specs' tab it says garlic instead of basil.

Can someone please clarify which it is? Hoping for the garlic one.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Picked up some Creminelli when I got the KR PS. It's much much more interesting and well done than the Aux Delices salami. However, Creminelli doesn't do bacon or pancetta - both of which are excellent from Aux Delices.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hagbard78 wrote:On the grapeseed oils the picture and description talks about a basil infused oil, but on the 'specs' tab it says garlic instead of basil.

Can someone please clarify which it is? Hoping for the garlic one.

Whoops, sorry about the confusion. It is supposed to be Basil as pictured and noted in the features. I've sent an email to get the specs updated.

Thanks for pointing that out!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mtgmailing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtgmailing
losthighwayz wrote:Any comments on the grpeseed oils? Curious about trying but uneasy about their taste and whether id enjoy them. Also, waht about the rubs? Thanks!

I bought the regular and garlic grapeseed oil before and while the regular stuff was only ok the garlic oil was amazing. Every time I uncorked the bottle there smell of roasted garlic was there, I used it in just about everything but now it's all gone and there's no garlic in this offering.

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12
mawy wrote:I ordered these last year for gourmet food baskets and saved some for myself too. I have to say that while they were well made, I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would. They were mustier than the gourmet fruit-and-flower/herb preserves I was used to from high end dept stores in the uk. My set didn't include the strawberry one tho, which is a crying shame as cassis is one of my all time favorite flavors. I wound up using mine as sauce starters and glazes for pork chops and grilled chicken. I still have a couple of jars left too... I wonder how long they keep unopened in the pantry and opened but in the fridge?

All in all, my least favorite wine.woot purchase.

I concur, not my favorite purchase.

nothinbutbirds

UncleFluffy wrote:Stilton or Roquefort. And a few chilled apple slices on the other side of the plate.

Correct! Some people object to "blue" cheeses because of the bitterness of the mold. The sweetness of the port turns them into completely different tasting experiences! It's quite uncanny! Try it!

alb8951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alb8951

I am curious, would the Aux Délices sampler arrive before Christmas? I can't seem to find information on when stuff would ship. I've never ordered from wine.woot (trying to branch out from shirt) so I have no frame of reference on the shipping.

nothinbutbirds

alb8951 wrote:I am curious, would the Aux Délices sampler arrive before Christmas? I can't seem to find information on when stuff would ship. I've never ordered from wine.woot (trying to branch out from shirt) so I have no frame of reference on the shipping.

The Aux Delices charcuterie set will definitely arrive before Xmas -barring another Hurricane Sandy-like event!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
alb8951 wrote:I am curious, would the Aux Délices sampler arrive before Christmas? I can't seem to find information on when stuff would ship. I've never ordered from wine.woot (trying to branch out from shirt) so I have no frame of reference on the shipping.

All wine.woot items generally ship within 2-3 weeks. This is the gift-week special offering, so everything here is guaranteed before x-mas.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

marionsansing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marionsansing

Too bad that the Apricots have Sulfur Dioxide - but the Creminelli are awesome, I got some last year and will order some again.

alb8951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alb8951
North316 wrote:All wine.woot items generally ship within 2-3 weeks. This is the gift-week special offering, so everything here is guaranteed before x-mas.

Thanks for the info. It is what I assumed based on the gift week, but I wanted to make sure.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kylemittskus wrote:All wines are more expressive on the nose and palate at room temperature. The cold hides flavors and possibly more importantly, flaws.

Speaking of cheeses, where are our lovely cheeses? I want more Point Reyes!!!

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie
superspryte wrote:Speaking of cheeses, where are our lovely cheeses? I want more Point Reyes!!!

Me too!! Me too!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow!