kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
selphish wrote:How long is this particular deal up? I get paid today and want to snag some for Christmas dinner with my girlfriend's family. Not a wine connoisseur myself, but the comments on this offering have managed to convince me that this is The One.

Good until midnight CST. If you're drinking this for Xmas this year, open it hours in advance. Like 24 hours in advance.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:By the way, this is an insanely difficult SIWBM. KR port and PS plus I know what's coming tomorrow... And I want all three! And I can't have any. SWBMO will literally murder me.

Tomorrow, what is tomorrow? I don't need more wine and I WILL buy the woot cellars on Monday, but now you are teasing with tomorrow too?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

selphish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages selphish
kylemittskus wrote:Good until midnight CST. If you're drinking this for Xmas this year, open it hours in advance. Like 24 hours in advance.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I was looking at the other comments -- I should decork and immediately recork, is this correct?

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan
KRWINE wrote:Hi
Well the 2010 is in the bottle and the 2011 and 2012 are in the barrel.
Our move from St. Helena to Napa was long planned, yet slowly executed, as it took awhile to sort out what to do with our SH facility. As many of you know, we started in the Carneros and have had a small winery there since 1986 on our estate vineyard property. Over the next couple of years we plan on expanding there to be our main production facility. We have the county permits (the hard task!) and now we just have to get the construction moving.
All the best, Kent

Thanks Kent. So at least a few more years to look forward to! My wife and I visited your old digs in August 2011 and met your wife -- who was a fantastic host. We actually just had a bottle of your 2006 Pinot we purchased then about a month ago, which was as lovely as I remembered. And I'm guessing that you'll keep producing that varietal at your new location. We will definitely miss your PS though, assuming it won't be produced in Carneros!

kylemittskus

selphish wrote:Excellent. Thanks for the info. I was looking at the other comments -- I should decork and immediately recork, is this correct?

Uncork and leave it on the counter for 24 hours. Pour and enjoy.

meyer22

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meyer22

Waiting for some info/thoughts from KR on the drinking window. Im buying, just cant decide how much. I know this will cellar incredibly well, but curious on his thoughts as to how it is drinking now...

gwg66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gwg66

Ok this is just getting silly...how is it that one KR wine currently on offer can ship to a state - in this case NH - while another KR wine also currently on offer cannot? Kent, David, somebody - please help us? This cannot be right.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

yorknh wrote:Speaking of which, that is available to ship to NH! Somebody please explain!

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
kylemittskus wrote:Uncork and leave it on the counter for 24 hours. Pour and enjoy.

I usually uncork and pour a half-glass or so to:

1.) Taste it to make sure it isn't flawed
2.) Create more surface area for air to reach the wine

Then I recork and place back in my cellar until ready to serve. This way I don't come back 24 hours later to find critters floating in my wine...

If it's a really young, big wine, I'll pour the wine through a Vinturi and then back into the bottle, recork and place it back in the cellar for 24 hours.

greyday

quality posts: 50 Private Messages greyday

I really, really want to pull the trigger on this, but I've just been spending too much this year and need to stop (plus my cellar is more than full, which includes a few of KR's wines already). Sorry, Kent, will catch you next time, but anybody on the fence about this for reasons other than mine, don't think twice, just buy! The 2008 is possibly the best PS I've ever had...

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Candy Basket Milk & Dark Chocolate Fleur de Sel Salted Caramel Pecan Patties

Their Baaaaaack on Gift week, oh yaaaaaaa

pah53

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pah53

Just checking. Did I miss the annual Woot funny Christmas red wine offering? I always look forward to ordering some for gifts.

Thanks!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
pah53 wrote:Just checking. Did I miss the annual Woot funny Christmas red wine offering? I always look forward to ordering some for gifts.

Thanks!

Look for it on Monday.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

redhead11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redhead11

Speed to first woot: 1m 4.998s
First sucker:rjquillin
Last wooter to woot:redhead11
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

woo hoo...we have no room but this is an auto buy...yum!!!

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:Look for it on Monday.

PM for you.

selphish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages selphish

First Wine.Woot purchase. Hopefully I can impress my girlfriend's family with this wine offering.

rjquillin

quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:Tomorrow, what is tomorrow? I don't need more wine and I WILL buy the woot cellars on Monday, but now you are teasing with tomorrow too?

Woot! cellars on Monday..
Did I miss the announcement somewhere?

CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
gwg66 wrote:Ok this is just getting silly...how is it that one KR wine currently on offer can ship to a state - in this case NH - while another KR wine also currently on offer cannot? Kent, David, somebody - please help us? This cannot be right.

We double checked and for this particular offer, NH is on the no-ship list.

I'm just hanging out, really.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
inkycatz wrote:We double checked and for this particular offer, NH is on the no-ship list.

Thanks for looking into it. I wish someone could give us a clear explanation of how it is that two different wines under the same label can be offered at the same time and yet only one of them can ship to the state. It's not like NH has all that silliness going on that VA has.

random234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages random234
gwg66 wrote:Ok this is just getting silly...how is it that one KR wine currently on offer can ship to a state - in this case NH - while another KR wine also currently on offer cannot? Kent, David, somebody - please help us? This cannot be right.

Similar issue for Maryland. Petite Sirah can ship, but not the Vermelho Forte.

tjjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjjones
KRWINE wrote:Hi all

This is Kent. It is good to be back in the woot.world! There is no good reason that I haven't offered anything for awhile, except that we just have not had any wine to sell....sorry.
So...on to this wonderful PS. Many many of you have ordered (and I hope consumed) several previous vintages of this wine. As far as I know everyone liked it a lot.
The 2009 is from the same vineyard as the previous vintages...the Chavez-Leeds Vineyard in Rutherford (across Hwy. 29 from Franciscan Winery). The grower is Frank Leeds and I have been working with him on these grapes since (believe it or not)....1989! Frank is one of the best grape-growers I know....his vineyards are beautiful and all of his grapes are certified organic by the State of California.
Winemaking is pretty much what you have had in the past. I have been making wine from these wonderful grapes for long enough now (20 years) that I have more-or-less got a bead on them. The big difference here is the vintage. The first decade of the 21st century is an easy one to remember the good years...they were all the odd ones (2001, 2003 (less-so), 2005, 2007 (wonderful) and 2009 (even better). The even years were okay, but it was the odd ones that excelled. (I always say that the 2000 vintage had the shortest run as "vintage of the century" of any modern vintage.) Of all of them, I think that 2009 was the best. It was just a perfect year weather-wise and the grapes developed great flavor and yet didn't get to be killer-alcohol bombs.
So that is the story. This wine is big, fruity, rich, ripe and absolutely....yummy. Buy lots, you will not be disappointed. It will age well too!!!

As woot.always, i am happy to answer questions and respond to comments. I will try to be on a couple of times during the day.

All the best, Kent

The 2007 was awsome so it is difficult imagining the 2009 as being better, but I'll take your word on it. (The 2008 was fine by itself but was not nearly as interesting as the 2007 was.) I'll keep bying any and all Kent Rasmussen wines. Wish I could find your Sauvignon Blance or Pinot.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Woot! cellars on Monday..

Yes.

gwg66

Thanks for looking further into this inkycatz.

inkycatz wrote:We double checked and for this particular offer, NH is on the no-ship list.

gwg66

+1....I know it is what it is, but it makes zero sense. =(

yorknh wrote:Thanks for looking into it. I wish someone could give us a clear explanation of how it is that two different wines under the same label can be offered at the same time and yet only one of them can ship to the state. It's not like NH has all that silliness going on that VA has.

gwg66

sent u a PM a few hours ago, but forgot to mention it in plain view...thanks

Itwdswafo wrote:I'll be up in NH possibly a few times in the next month or two. Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to woot leg for you.

rpm

quality posts: 166 Private Messages rpm
KRWINE wrote:Sorry, no more SB. That was a wonderful wine, but we just couldn't get our sale's staff interested in it. There are just too many SBs on the market, and as a non-Napa wine it was just too hard to sell. I kept a couple of cases for myself (something I rarely do) because I liked it so much. Grapes came from a very unlikely source in Suisun Valley in Solano Cty....but they were sure good. I like SB and would love to be making more of it. Maybe someday.

Interesting source! I seem to remember someone made some very nice Columbard - a truly special wine - from that area about 20-25 years ago.

You're right that there are too many SBs out there, but there are far too few good ones. Dry Creek over in Sonoma County can be outstanding, and yours and Frogs Leap are among my very favorites. All individual wines, but all more Loire-like than 99% of the SB that is so popular. I like Pouilly-Fume and and I like Sancerre, and I like good white Bordeaux (which is hard to find these days).

It's too bad no one in California makes a good SB/Semillon blend in a real white Bordeaux style anymore. I know it's fallen out of fashion (the blends lost popularity when people started make good Chardonnay in California), but I think perhaps its time for a comeback.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rjquillin wrote:Woot! cellars on Monday..

the following email yesterday:

"This holiday season, the tradition of Wine.Woot Gift Week continues, but this year it's just too big to fit into only daily deals. Starting Friday, November 30, Wine.Woot will feature a weeklong Woot Plus event overflowing with specially curated gourmet and wine-related items for those who live la vita bella.
And we can send a personalized Wine.Woot greeting card and message on every item you designate as a gift. All items will arrive in plenty of time for the holidays, so don't wait to start shopping - it won't be long before these items say arrivederci.

Lastly, keep an eye out this coming Monday, December 3, for a PHAT holiday wine offer from the cellars nearest and dearest to our hearts.

All the best and cheers to you and yours,"

Winedavid39

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
selphish wrote:How long is this particular deal up? I get paid today and want to snag some for Christmas dinner with my girlfriend's family. Not a wine connoisseur myself, but the comments on this offering have managed to convince me that this is The One.

It changes at Midnight CT (10pm West Coast).

Also Kent, I asked if this PS will still have a "dumb" phase starting around 10 to 15 years from vintage date and lasting for 5 or so years??

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

KRWINE

quality posts: 35 Private Messages KRWINE
meyer22 wrote:Waiting for some info/thoughts from KR on the drinking window. Im buying, just cant decide how much. I know this will cellar incredibly well, but curious on his thoughts as to how it is drinking now...

Hi

This wine is great now, but will age. I have written before about the strange ageablity of PS, but to summarize....with this wine...either drink it by about 2017 or let it age until 2025ish. There is a dumb phase that PS goes through when it looses it's fruit...but after several more years...it gets a really lovely older-wine character.

evillica

quality posts: 4 Private Messages evillica

i've spent too much on christmas gifts, i've got no room in the cellar, but I cannot pass up KR PS! in for three, my only auto-buy.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
fredrinaldi wrote:the following email yesterday:

"Lastly, keep an eye out this coming Monday, December 3, for a PHAT holiday wine offer from the cellars nearest and dearest to our hearts.

All the best and cheers to you and yours,"

Winedavid39

Who would be "nearest and dearest to our hearts?" I can think of at least four or five.

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig
rpm wrote:
It's too bad no one in California makes a good SB/Semillon blend in a real white Bordeaux style anymore. I know it's fallen out of fashion (the blends lost popularity when people started make good Chardonnay in California), but I think perhaps its time for a comeback.

Signorello makes a Semillon/SB blend called 'Seta' one of the best whites I've had period. Pricey though.

https://www.signorelloestate.com/napa-valley-white-wine-seta.asp

rpm

quality posts: 166 Private Messages rpm

This wine is great now, but will age. I have written before about the strange ageablity of PS, but to summarize....with this wine...either drink it by about 2017 or let it age until 2025ish. There is a dumb phase that PS goes through when it looses it's fruit...but after several more years...it gets a really lovely older-wine character.

The 1978 Ridge York Creek was remarkable in its mid-20s; I wish I still had some. I'd love to have one of your older Pets.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin
rjquillin wrote:KR, check
PS, check
Autobuy, you bet
and first sucker.

Yes, nice to see Kent back on woot!

Speed to First Woot:1m 4.998s
First Sucker: rjquillin

Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago

After all the positive comments,
just had to come back for seconds.

CT

mattneumeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattneumeyer

I just popped an '08 to make sure my bottles aren't ruined like some of these other folks on CT. No problems to report here. It's drinking as beautifully as it was last year when I first tried it. I'll be pretty comfortable holding the rest if I decide to wait until they lose their fruit.

kylemittskus

mattneumeyer wrote:I just popped an '08 to make sure my bottles aren't ruined like some of these other folks on CT. No problems to report here. It's drinking as beautifully as it was last year when I first tried it. I'll be pretty comfortable holding the rest if I decide to wait until they lose their fruit.

STOP KILLING BABIES!!!

noahz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noahz

Going to give it a try even though the when I popped my Wellingtons a few months ago several bottles were bad. Hoped Woot! would make it right but they never even responded to my email... Hey, no puns about sour grapes

I guess I will roll the dice but this is not a cheap gamble for me. Enough good wines in CA in the under $20 category a wine has got to be pretty special to get me to pull the trigger. Last KR I had was quite a while ago but I seem to remember it being good. If it lives up to the reviews here I may just have to buy less Ty. Yeah right, or just end up drinking more.

21 Wooted items so far.

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu

I have never, ever, not even once, managed to keep it around long enough for that. I'd been trying to resist, but reading through the comments spoiled my chances. Looking forward to it.

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

edbone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edbone
guzmantis wrote:I would suggest having it ship to wherever you plan on being two weeks from now. Watch closely for the tracking info to post and once you have the delivery date you can do a 'Hold at FedEx Location' and have it re-directed to the FedEx office nearest to wherever you will be on the arrival date.

Careful with that, FedEx isn't cooperative about holding at a location not immediately local to the original shipping address. I tried to have a package held at a location about 200 miles away and they refused. The best they would do is send it back to the winery to have it reshipped. I don't know how far away you are moving but this might be an issue.