PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
rpm wrote:Having made my props to Kent, winos, this is what's known as an rpm autobuy to the limit of what they'll sell you or what you can afford to spend. As a winemaker - especially with Pinot, Pets and Sauvignon Blanc - Kent plays in the same league with our friend Cathy on the other side of the Valley. I would put Kent's PS on the same level as Paul Draper's efforts for Ridge in the '70s from the York Creek vineyard.

Frank Leeds (and now daughter Lauren has joined him in the vineyard management business - she's besties with my daughter from college) is one of the best growers in the Valley; he and artist wife Beth are great people.

I actually first drank Kent's Pets (which is what growers like Frank call PS) at Frank and Beth's table; I think it was an 01. Really special wine.

Anyway, we tasted the '07 on the 2010 Tour and I bought some.

If you like PS at all, do yourself a big favor and buy 3.

And, winedavid39 and wootgods, let Loweel/PS buy doubles of the usual allowance: he and his lovely bride deserve some!

QFT. Easy autobuy. Say, WD, why don't you just allow us to set up our accounts for autobuys based on producer and/or varietals?

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
PetiteSirah wrote:QFT. Easy autobuy. Say, WD, why don't you just allow us to set up our accounts for autobuys based on producer and/or varietals?

Let me set up a bank account with WCC while you're at it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
bkarlan wrote:Let me set up a bank account with WCC while you're at it.

You don't have one?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
EddyGurge wrote:What an absolutely horrible day to find out about Virginia's new wine sales ban. This was the purchase that was going to bring me out of my long term SIWBM. Dammit!

Virginia discussion, if it helps.

I'm just hanging out, really.

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210

Holy cow, finally, one of our favorite woot wines that hasn't priced itself out of the "great deal" category. This is actually a few bucks less that a year ago's 2008.

Just when I was about to categorize woot and just another online wine shop. Still hope.

gwg66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gwg66

Hi Kent, yes, please comment on this apparent issue if you are again on the boards today. Thanks!

pfcouvar wrote:I'm also curious about this; the number of comments makes me think it can't be coincidence. Was the issue identified and solved before this vintage was bottled?

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Autobuy. Now.

gwg66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gwg66

+1

Fellow NHer here...I bought the '08 PS in February 2012 on a Woot-Off! and unless something changed 01-Juy-12 with our laws I am not sure why KR's juice couldn't still be allowed to ship to NH? Sitting on the side-line hoping we can get in on this spectacular offer. =(

gwg66

yorknh wrote:So I hate to start in with the "Why isn't xx state on the ship to list", but why isn't NH on the list?

I have 2 bottles left of the '08 offering that I got via woot, as well as the 2010 Esoterica SB. Has there been a change in NH licensing, or is this just an oversight? Please say it's an oversight, because hearing that '09 is better than '08 and not being able to get any would make me very sad.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

KRWINE wrote:Hi all
All the best, Kent

Kent, thank you (or whomever figured out the "glitch" that kept your last offering from shipping to VT!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
gwg66 wrote:+1

Fellow NHer here...I bought the '08 PS in February 2012 on a Woot-Off! and unless something changed 01-Juy-12 with our laws I am not sure why KR's juice couldn't still be allowed to ship to NH? Sitting on the side-line hoping we can get in on this spectacular offer. =(

gwg66

I've looked at both shipCompliant and www.nh.gov, and it doesn't look like anything has changed since Jan 2011. In fact shipCompliant lists NH as easy and comparatively inexpensive.

napol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages napol
EddyGurge wrote:What an absolutely horrible day to find out about Virginia's new wine sales ban. This was the purchase that was going to bring me out of my long term SIWBM. Dammit!

There's no ban on wine sales (or shipping) to VA (that I'm aware of) - "the Winery must obtain a license from the state in order to ship wine directly to consumers" - http://wineinstitute.shipcompliant.com/StateDetail.aspx?StateId=40

It appears KR has not obtained that license, which is why it's not available to Virginians.

EddyGurge

quality posts: 9 Private Messages EddyGurge
napol wrote:There's no ban on wine sales (or shipping) to VA (that I'm aware of) - "the Winery must obtain a license from the state in order to ship wine directly to consumers" - http://wineinstitute.shipcompliant.com/StateDetail.aspx?StateId=40

It appears KR has not obtained that license, which is why it's not available to Virginians.

No, it is far more complicated than that now in VA.

http://www.wineinstitute.org/initiatives/stateshippinglaws/currentevents/11022012

I'm slightly politically connected, and already am reaching out to folks here in the know.

napol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages napol
EddyGurge wrote:No, it is far more complicated than that now in VA.

http://www.wineinstitute.org/initiatives/stateshippinglaws/currentevents/11022012

I'm slightly politically connected, and already am reaching out to folks here in the know.

I see - so it's a wine.woot problem as "Third Party Marketer." Thanks for the info.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass on this one. A full cellar and an empty bank account will do that to you .

I would like to say that the 2010 KR Sauvignon Blanc is one of my favorite whites I've ever had. Luckily I still have a couple of bottles remaining (may have to have one tonight). I see there is also KR port in the woot plus as well. Maybe I just need to stop looking at this site...

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
North316 wrote:I'm in, as always, despite several reasons for which I should not be in. I have been asking for some KR wine for months now, great to have you back Kent.

I deck the halls to be a Debbie-downer here, but there a fairly significant amount of comments on cellar tracker regarding corked/bad bottles of the 2008. Just wondering if you have any insight on this Kent? I have 4 bottles of that aging away and am just hoping none of them are bad bottles.

Are all of your previous vintages sold out, or is there any change we could see a older vertical offering some day?

Hmmmm...maybe that explains why I was not impressed with the KR PS from last year's offer...I paired it with a filet mignon expecting a dark fruited, full-bodied experience and instead tasted a watered-down, vinegary PS. I was thinking to self that the KR's were overrated BUT maybe it was a bad bottle. I know PS and the KR I have did not represent the varietal. What was the gist of the CT comments about bad bottles?

"The older I get the better I was"

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
gwg66 wrote:+1

gwg66

I'll be up in NH possibly a few times in the next month or two. Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to woot leg for you.

KRWINE

quality posts: 35 Private Messages KRWINE
synchrodan wrote:Kent -- if you're answering questions, how many more PS vintages will you be offering in the future? I read somewhere that you were moving south and no longer going to be using the Rutherford vineyard.

Hi
Well the 2010 is in the bottle and the 2011 and 2012 are in the barrel.
Our move from St. Helena to Napa was long planned, yet slowly executed, as it took awhile to sort out what to do with our SH facility. As many of you know, we started in the Carneros and have had a small winery there since 1986 on our estate vineyard property. Over the next couple of years we plan on expanding there to be our main production facility. We have the county permits (the hard task!) and now we just have to get the construction moving.
All the best, Kent

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
losthighwayz wrote:Hmmmm...maybe that explains why I was not impressed with the KR PS from last year's offer...I paired it with a filet mignon expecting a dark fruited, full-bodied experience and instead tasted a watered-down, vinegary PS. I was thinking to self that the KR's were overrated BUT maybe it was a bad bottle. I know PS and the KR I have did not represent the varietal. What was the gist of the CT comments about bad bottles?

2008 KR PS CT Link

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

KRWINE

pfcouvar wrote:I'm also curious about this; the number of comments makes me think it can't be coincidence. Was the issue identified and solved before this vintage was bottled?

Hi, that is news to me. I can't ever recall anyone sending us a complaint or a bottle back.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

I too loved your SB. It was by far my sig other favorite wine we have had together. Those don't appear to be anywhere on your site. I do remember you saying that you use to make it, but stopped, and now wanted to try it out again (short version?)

I guess what I am getting at is.... was that a one time thing for the time being? Or do you have plans for another SB in the future?

Thanks!

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

KRWINE

rpm wrote:Having made my props to Kent, winos, this is what's known as an rpm autobuy to the limit of what they'll sell you or what you can afford to spend. As a winemaker - especially with Pinot, Pets and Sauvignon Blanc - Kent plays in the same league with our friend Cathy on the other side of the Valley. I would put Kent's PS on the same level as Paul Draper's efforts for Ridge in the '70s from the York Creek vineyard.

Frank Leeds (and now daughter Lauren has joined him in the vineyard management business - she's besties with my daughter from college) is one of the best growers in the Valley; he and artist wife Beth are great people.

I actually first drank Kent's Pets (which is what growers like Frank call PS) at Frank and Beth's table; I think it was an 01. Really special wine.

Anyway, we tasted the '07 on the 2010 Tour and I bought some.

If you like PS at all, do yourself a big favor and buy 3.

And, winedavid39 and wootgods, let Loweel/PS buy doubles of the usual allowance: he and his lovely bride deserve some!

THANK YOU FOR THE NICE COMMENT!!!!

KRWINE

jcarlton03 wrote:I too loved your SB. It was by far my sig other favorite wine we have had together. Those don't appear to be anywhere on your site. I do remember you saying that you use to make it, but stopped, and now wanted to try it out again (short version?)

I guess what I am getting at is.... was that a one time thing for the time being? Or do you have plans for another SB in the future?

Thanks!

Sorry, no more SB. That was a wonderful wine, but we just couldn't get our sale's staff interested in it. There are just too many SBs on the market, and as a non-Napa wine it was just too hard to sell. I kept a couple of cases for myself (something I rarely do) because I liked it so much. Grapes came from a very unlikely source in Suisun Valley in Solano Cty....but they were sure good. I like SB and would love to be making more of it. Maybe someday.

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge

BTW, for all the KR fans here, don't forget that Rasmussen Esoterica Vermelho Forte is now on offer as part of the Gift Week: Gifts That Aren't Weak woot.

KR: you make me sad on the SB news. I was so tickled to find such a quality SB as I love your reds a lot but The Wife tends more towards SB.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
KRWINE wrote:Sorry, no more SB. That was a wonderful wine, but we just couldn't get our sale's staff interested in it. There are just too many SBs on the market, and as a non-Napa wine it was just too hard to sell. I kept a couple of cases for myself (something I rarely do) because I liked it so much. Grapes came from a very unlikely source in Suisun Valley in Solano Cty....but they were sure good. I like SB and would love to be making more of it. Maybe someday.

Sounds like it should just be a woot-exclusive wine then. If you can produce it and still make money selling it here, we are your market. I am not an SB fan what-so-ever and rather enjoyed that wine.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Jerruh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jerruh

Loved the 2007, and still have one bottle that I'm hanging on to. Just debating how much of the 2009 to buy...

mattneumeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattneumeyer
KRWINE wrote:Hi, that is news to me. I can't ever recall anyone sending us a complaint or a bottle back.

I have 5 bottles of the '08 PS sitting in my cellar. Do I need to open one tonight (too early) to see if it's turned? Tough decisions...

amarkham

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amarkham

I know I'm echoing previous sentiments, bu this is my single favorite wine purchase from woot! Just wonderful.
Someone else mentioned popping the cork, replugging it, and enjoying it the next day...I have used the same procedure with this wine. Seems to work well, as it needs many hours in the decanter to fully open up straight out of the bottle. If I wasn't worried about an upcoming cross country u-haul move, then I would be purchasing the max.

gpkingsley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gpkingsley

What new ban? Can I no longer get wine shipped to VA?

inkycatz

mattneumeyer wrote:I have 5 bottles of the '08 PS sitting in my cellar. Do I need to open one tonight (too early) to see if it's turned? Tough decisions...

Well, it is Friday if that helps...

inkycatz

gpkingsley wrote:What new ban? Can I no longer get wine shipped to VA?

Hiya,
We've got a whole discussion on Virginia you can join in on here.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
HeartbreakRidge wrote:BTW, for all the KR fans here, don't forget that Rasmussen Esoterica Vermelho Forte is now on offer as part of the Gift Week: Gifts That Aren't Weak woot.

Speaking of which, that is available to ship to NH! Somebody please explain!

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie

I was hoping to find the Silvestri Olio Nuovo here today based on Howard's (Casa de Case)comments yesterday, but was excited to find this instead.

And THEN I saw that both the Olio Nuovo AND the Cavedoni balsamic are available in the Gift Week section, along with another KR wine and other delicious treats that I will doubtless have to get now that I've paid for shipping.

Happy happy!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

PetiteSirah wrote:QFT. Easy autobuy. Say, WD, why don't you just allow us to set up our accounts for autobuys based on producer and/or varietals?

i think you are on to something..!

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
sdwindansea wrote:Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass on this one. A full cellar and an empty bank account will do that to you .

I would like to say that the 2010 KR Sauvignon Blanc is one of my favorite whites I've ever had. Luckily I still have a couple of bottles remaining (may have to have one tonight). I see there is also KR port in the woot plus as well. Maybe I just need to stop looking at this site...

PM for you...

CT

drgonzo99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drgonzo99

Kent- I don't think this was asked yet. Any advice on a drinking window for this? Ready now? Best if held a while?
I'd ask how long out it should go, but depending on when you think it would be best- not likely to go that far!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Just something to note on the "flawed" bottles in CT. 4 of the 7 "flawed" bottles were from the same person. That seems to be a shipping or storage issue in my mind. So if you discount those 4, then you have 3 flawed notes out of total of 42 notes (7%). A high number, yes, but still within the range of normal (3%-7%).

And just a quick primer on determining what really is flawed wine:
http://nymag.com/restaurants/articles/wine/essentials/badwine.htm

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

KR: I assume that if we do find a flawed bottle, you'll be happy to fix out issues?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

By the way, this is an insanely difficult SIWBM. KR port and PS plus I know what's coming tomorrow... And I want all three! And I can't have any. SWBMO will literally murder me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

selphish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages selphish

How long is this particular deal up? I get paid today and want to snag some for Christmas dinner with my girlfriend's family. Not a wine connoisseur myself, but the comments on this offering have managed to convince me that this is The One.

lrbuchanan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lrbuchanan
yorknh wrote:self-imposed wine buying moratorium

If you are from NH or VA SIWBM now means STATE imposed wine buying moratorium.