2009 Kent Rasmussen Petite Sirah

Winery website

Previous offers:
2/18/11
10/31/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Nice. It has been a while since we've had KR PS.

The numbers look good on this wine. I might have to break my loose SIWBM to round out a vertical of this wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

KR
PS
Autobuy
and first sucker.

Yes, nice to see Kent back on woot!

CT

jsp872

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872

For the 2008 KR Esoterica PS, I found that pop and recork immediately method (a method I find works for me very well for bringing out flavors on young wines) and drinking it the next day really bring out the flavors and complexity alot

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Wow, two auto-buys in a row! I haven't had a KR wine I didn't enjoy. I'm going to have to drink some lesser wines to make room for this...

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Yes...autobuy even though I have to use a Wootlegger...love PS and Rasmussen.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

wrensmom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wrensmom

I have successfully managed to stick to my SIWBM for months! Until now...

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
ajrod27 wrote:Wow, two auto-buys in a row! I haven't had a KR wine I didn't enjoy. I'm going to have to drink some lesser wines to make room for this...

Yeah... These are tough because they will occupy space for at least 5 years!

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559

Is this the same guy that does the political polling ?

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
true559 wrote:Is this the same guy that does the political polling ?

It's his brother.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
trifecta wrote:Yeah... These are tough because they will occupy space for at least 5 years!

I like 3-packs; one for now, one for later and one just in case.

Last Wooter to Woot: ajrod27

KRWINE

quality posts: 35 Private Messages KRWINE

Hi all

This is Kent. It is good to be back in the woot.world! There is no good reason that I haven't offered anything for awhile, except that we just have not had any wine to sell....sorry.
So...on to this wonderful PS. Many many of you have ordered (and I hope consumed) several previous vintages of this wine. As far as I know everyone liked it a lot.
The 2009 is from the same vineyard as the previous vintages...the Chavez-Leeds Vineyard in Rutherford (across Hwy. 29 from Franciscan Winery). The grower is Frank Leeds and I have been working with him on these grapes since (believe it or not)....1989! Frank is one of the best grape-growers I know....his vineyards are beautiful and all of his grapes are certified organic by the State of California.
Winemaking is pretty much what you have had in the past. I have been making wine from these wonderful grapes for long enough now (20 years) that I have more-or-less got a bead on them. The big difference here is the vintage. The first decade of the 21st century is an easy one to remember the good years...they were all the odd ones (2001, 2003 (less-so), 2005, 2007 (wonderful) and 2009 (even better). The even years were okay, but it was the odd ones that excelled. (I always say that the 2000 vintage had the shortest run as "vintage of the century" of any modern vintage.) Of all of them, I think that 2009 was the best. It was just a perfect year weather-wise and the grapes developed great flavor and yet didn't get to be killer-alcohol bombs.
So that is the story. This wine is big, fruity, rich, ripe and absolutely....yummy. Buy lots, you will not be disappointed. It will age well too!!!

As woot.always, i am happy to answer questions and respond to comments. I will try to be on a couple of times during the day.

All the best, Kent

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig

Very tempted, how does it compare to other PS offered on WW? Namely the Black Zeppelin and the Denier-Handal.

Thanks.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:KR
PS
Autobuy
and first sucker.

Yes, nice to see Kent back on woot!

Way to go!!

Speed to first woot: 1m 4.998s
First sucker: rjquillin
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase: a few seconds ago

Teach me not to check at 10! One guess as to how many sets I got.

Kent, please check out our Dark & Delicious 2013 threads in the World of Woot Wine section. Hopefully your plans will firm up so that you can join us at D&D in February. And that we can visit you on Saturday!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

KRWINE wrote:Hi all

This is Kent. It is good to be back in the woot.world! There is no good reason that I haven't offered anything for awhile, except that we just have not had any wine to sell....sorry.
So...on to this wonderful PS. Many many of you have ordered (and I hope consumed) several previous vintages of this wine. As far as I know everyone liked it a lot.
The 2009 is from the same vineyard as the previous vintages...the Chavez-Leeds Vineyard in Rutherford (across Hwy. 29 from Franciscan Winery). The grower is Frank Leeds and I have been working with him on these grapes since (believe it or not)....1989! Frank is one of the best grape-growers I know....his vineyards are beautiful and all of his grapes are certified organic by the State of California.
Winemaking is pretty much what you have had in the past. I have been making wine from these wonderful grapes for long enough now (20 years) that I have more-or-less got a bead on them. The big difference here is the vintage. The first decade of the 21st century is an easy one to remember the good years...they were all the odd ones (2001, 2003 (less-so), 2005, 2007 (wonderful) and 2009 (even better). The even years were okay, but it was the odd ones that excelled. (I always say that the 2000 vintage had the shortest run as "vintage of the century" of any modern vintage.) Of all of them, I think that 2009 was the best. It was just a perfect year weather-wise and the grapes developed great flavor and yet didn't get to be killer-alcohol bombs.
So that is the story. This wine is big, fruity, rich, ripe and absolutely....yummy. Buy lots, you will not be disappointed. It will age well too!!!

As woot.always, i am happy to answer questions and respond to comments. I will try to be on a couple of times during the day.

All the best, Kent

Thanks for dropping by again with your nectar of the Gods!

By the way, is the dumb phase still between 10 & 15 years from vintage, for 5 or so years?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

And of course, when PS is up, the following is required ...

Come to the Dark Side .... we have cookies!!!

This is the wine you want!!!

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
KRWINE wrote:Hi all

All the best, Kent

Kent, it's great to see you back! We just enjoyed a bottle of your 2010 Sauvignon Blanc with mussels for a 'non turkey' post-Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm so glad to see this wine here - gotta buy me some '09s to last until the '12s are available....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm

Having made my props to Kent, winos, this is what's known as an rpm autobuy to the limit of what they'll sell you or what you can afford to spend. As a winemaker - especially with Pinot, Pets and Sauvignon Blanc - Kent plays in the same league with our friend Cathy on the other side of the Valley. I would put Kent's PS on the same level as Paul Draper's efforts for Ridge in the '70s from the York Creek vineyard.

Frank Leeds (and now daughter Lauren has joined him in the vineyard management business - she's besties with my daughter from college) is one of the best growers in the Valley; he and artist wife Beth are great people.

I actually first drank Kent's Pets (which is what growers like Frank call PS) at Frank and Beth's table; I think it was an 01. Really special wine.

Anyway, we tasted the '07 on the 2010 Tour and I bought some.

If you like PS at all, do yourself a big favor and buy 3.

And, winedavid39 and wootgods, let Loweel/PS buy doubles of the usual allowance: he and his lovely bride deserve some!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Auto buy for 3, maybe gift myself another 3

Oh and WD do not put up any of Cathy's stuff, still saving for Christmas.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm in, as always, despite several reasons for which I should not be in. I have been asking for some KR wine for months now, great to have you back Kent.

I deck the halls to be a Debbie-downer here, but there a fairly significant amount of comments on cellar tracker regarding corked/bad bottles of the 2008. Just wondering if you have any insight on this Kent? I have 4 bottles of that aging away and am just hoping none of them are bad bottles.

Are all of your previous vintages sold out, or is there any change we could see a older vertical offering some day?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
hillig wrote:Very tempted, how does it compare to other PS offered on WW? Namely the Black Zeppelin and the Denier-Handal.

Thanks.

honestly, it's probably the best of the bunch. Course, that's like choosing between supercars, but yeah.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

It's Christmas to me this week. Most liked wine I have ever purchased on Wine.Woot. EVER!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

clcaruthers

On another note, when is the expected shipping date from the winery (if known)? Sometimes the wine I've bought gets to me really quick, others take weeks. I'm moving to a different town in two weeks, and I just want to make sure I have it sent to wherever I'm going to be!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

clcaruthers wrote:On another note, when is the expected shipping date from the winery (if known)? Sometimes the wine I've bought gets to me really quick, others take weeks. I'm moving to a different town in two weeks, and I just want to make sure I have it sent to wherever I'm going to be!

While some times faster, it's best to allow 2-3 weeks for the item to ship. Is there another place that you can ship to? Perhaps a FedEx office?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I was just saying that the ONLY thing I would consider buying during my SIWBM is some KR Esoterica Petite sirah........Seriously...

Thanks a lot Woot.

I would echo RPM's usual sage advice: The Esoterica is superb. I have several past vintages in my cellar and all are well made and delicious.

Do not hesitate with this one. You will thank me for it!

Is it broke or just fractured?

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis
clcaruthers wrote:On another note, when is the expected shipping date from the winery (if known)? Sometimes the wine I've bought gets to me really quick, others take weeks. I'm moving to a different town in two weeks, and I just want to make sure I have it sent to wherever I'm going to be!

I would suggest having it ship to wherever you plan on being two weeks from now. Watch closely for the tracking info to post and once you have the delivery date you can do a 'Hold at FedEx Location' and have it re-directed to the FedEx office nearest to wherever you will be on the arrival date.

As for this offer, the only KR wine I've had til now is his Esoterica Sauv Blanc. I thought it was one of the better whites I've had from Woot. In for 2 based on my experience with the SB, and also the fine comments from my fellow wooters.

clcaruthers

ThunderThighs wrote:While some times faster, it's best to allow 2-3 weeks for the item to ship. Is there another place that you can ship to? Perhaps a FedEx office?

I completely forgot about the Hold at FedEx location. TT always there to save the day. Thanks for reminding me about that!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

So I hate to start in with the "Why isn't xx state on the ship to list", but why isn't NH on the list?

I have 2 bottles left of the '08 offering that I got via woot, as well as the 2010 Esoterica SB. Has there been a change in NH licensing, or is this just an oversight? Please say it's an oversight, because hearing that '09 is better than '08 and not being able to get any would make me very sad.

clcaruthers

I know what SHWMBO means, but what does SIWBM mean? I've seen the latter used on here a few times, and I just can't seem to figure out something that fits perfectly.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
clcaruthers wrote:I know what SHWMBO means, but what does SIWBM mean? I've seen the latter used on here a few times, and I just can't seem to figure out something that fits perfectly.

self-imposed wine buying moratorium

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan

Kent -- if you're answering questions, how many more PS vintages will you be offering in the future? I read somewhere that you were moving south and no longer going to be using the Rutherford vineyard.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
yorknh wrote:self-imposed wine buying moratorium

Or in my case "spouse imposed wine buying moratorium"...

She is gonna kill me.....

Is it broke or just fractured?

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters

I'm in for half a case. Not a fan of the "auto-buy" term, but I do really enjoy the KR wines.

BTW, I purchased the 2008 from two different offerings here and consumed 4 of the 6 bottles with none of the issues some are reporting. I'm a big fan of both PS and KR (loved the Sav Blanc, can we get more of that PLEASE!) and looking forward to holding some and drinking some in it's youth.

Of course, YMMV...

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
wrensmom wrote:I have successfully managed to stick to my SIWBM for months! Until now...

I had my semi-SIWBM blown out of the water on this one. In for two to go with my 8 - 2008. Gotta start drinking the wine I buy!!!

napol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages napol

Love the KR wines - unfortunate that the winery cannot ship to Virginia

pfcouvar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar
North316 wrote:I deck the halls to be a Debbie-downer here, but there a fairly significant amount of comments on cellar tracker regarding corked/bad bottles of the 2008. Just wondering if you have any insight on this Kent?

I'm also curious about this; the number of comments makes me think it can't be coincidence. Was the issue identified and solved before this vintage was bottled?

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

tempted but probably cant since the racks are full and xmas is expensive.

CT

Tally324

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tally324

I could have sworn that I had a Kent Rasmussen shipped to Virginia last time it came around, but no love this time. Guess that leaves more Esoterica for the rest of you guys!

EddyGurge

quality posts: 9 Private Messages EddyGurge

What an absolutely horrible day to find out about Virginia's new wine sales ban. This was the purchase that was going to bring me out of my long term SIWBM. Dammit!