redhead11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redhead11

Planning a trip to Paso Robles and looking for suggestions. Could use info re tasting rooms, deals, restaurants (that offer fish options). Thanks!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Lots. What style are you looking for (wine-wise)?

For a restaurant, I suggest Bistro Laurent for dinner. Fantastic food for the price. And Joe's Place for breakfast. Really good corned beef hash.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

redhead11

We like Rhone blends, zins, petite sirah.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
redhead11 wrote:We like Rhone blends, zins, petite sirah.

Highly recommend Tablas Creek. They are on the pricier side, but fantastic Rhone's, especially single varietals.

In the downtown area you can check out Clayhouse (on woot before), Asuncion Ridge, and Bodegas Paso Robles(owb).

Denis Degher makes good juice in small lots. Mojo Cellars (owb).

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Isn't Stillman in Paso? Or does he just make wine from Paso juice?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:Isn't Stillman in Paso? Or does he just make wine from Paso juice?

He's in Paso and he's a must. Email or text him before you go: (805) 550-6492 and StillmanB at aol dot com.

Tablas, Clayhouse are both great. Turley is pricey but great PS and lots of Zin. Tobin James is fruit bomb city. Mondo has an incredible view. I'll add more in a bit.

tercerowines

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tercerowines

Kyle certainly provided you with lots of good information.

A couple of other restaurants to hit - Thomas Hill Organics and Villa Creek.

A couple of other wineries to hit - Villa Creek, Vines From the Marycrest, L'Aventure, Cypher . . .

Have fun - and let me know if you make it a bit more south as I'd love to host you at my tasting room in Los Olivos (-:

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Artisan is a fantastic restaurant, and if you like Italian food and truffles, check out Il Cortile.

All the aforementioned food and wine suggestions are also great... I also dig Terry Hoage Vineyards and Zenaida which are not far from L'Aventure and Turley.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
redhead11 wrote:We like Rhone blends, zins, petite sirah.

As mentioned, Tablas Creek, Clayhouse (off the main Paso Square), and Turley (south on the 101 by Templeton) are musts. Vina Robles (has been on WW) also has some nice PS wines.

Note that I'm in Wine Clubs or allocations (Turley) for the above except for Clayhouse, but it's not because I don't like their wines, it's just that I'm already in too many clubs as it is. But then again ...

J Dusi is also in Templeton, and has had her Zins up here. Also, Brian Benson (had his Syrahs here a while back) has some Zins, and Dark Star (his dad is winemaker there, or was) also has Zins, and they share a tasting room. Opolo, Sextant (WW), and Tobin James are there in Paso as well.

For PS, PetiteSirah and I have really been enjoying Aaron Wines. He's also in Paso. I believe that he doesn't have a tasting room, but I think the Full Moon Tasting Room in Cayucos has both his and Stillman's wines.

Stillman is off in Cayucos, which is over by the ocean. So a bit of a drive. But call him first, as it's well worth it.

(*) BRIAN BENSON CELLARS / DARK STAR CELLARS
2985 Anderson Road, Paso Robles

(*) CLAYHOUSE WINES
849 13th Street, Downtown Paso Robles

J DUSI WINES
635 North Main Street, Templeton

OPOLO VINEYARDS
7110 Vineyard Drive, Paso Robles

SEXTANT WINES
2324 Highway 46 West, Paso Robles

(*) TABLAS CREEK VINEYARD
9339 Adelaida Road, Paso Robles

TOBIN JAMES CELLARS
8950 Union Road, Paso Robles

(*) TURLEY WINE CELLARS
2900 Vineyard Drive, Templeton

(*) VINA ROBLES
3700 Mill Road, Paso Robles

FULL MOON TASTING ROOM
10 North Ocean Ave., #212, Cayucos

(*) = Been there

All others are ones I really, really want to go to.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

The square around the Paso main square park has some nice restaurants there. Parking is so much fun, however.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

redhead11

Fabulous suggestions. Keep them coming. We are staying right off the park in Paso.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

I'll probably be seconding a bunch of recommendations, but...

Wineries:

Highly recommended:

Turley
Tablas Creek
Linne Calodo (I think you need to call in advance here, but in my experience they, along with Saxum, are doing some of the most interesting things in the region)
L'Aventure

Recommended:

Fratelli Perata
Ecluse
Justin
Clayhouse

There are a number of other places you should hit as well, and I am sure they will be covered. I will say that I was not a big fan of Four Vines, and that while I was unimpressed with the wines of Halter Ranch, their property is just drop-dead gorgeous and probably worth a stop just for that. Really, the Vineyard Drive/Adelaida Road loop is one of the most beautiful drives I've encountered. The presence of so many good wineries along it is a very nice bonus (or the road's a bonus to the wineries, I suppose).

For food, Thomas Hill Organics is great for lunch. We had a really excellent dinner at Il Cortile. Everyone raves about Artisan, but I wasn't terrifically impressed (the food was fine, but not great).

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

For the record, redhead11 is my better half (so your suggestions will help us both)!

And for anyone close to Los Olivos, definitely take up Larry's generosity and visit him at Tercero, which we so enjoyed when we saw him the week before harvest a couple months back.

kylemittskus

time2testit wrote:For the record, redhead11 is my better half (so your suggestions will help us both)!

And for anyone close to Los Olivos, definitely take up Larry's generosity and visit him at Tercero, which we so enjoyed when we saw him the week before harvest a couple months back.

Dude, we don't care about you; we like her WAY more!

time2testit

kylemittskus wrote:Dude, we don't care about you; we like her WAY more!

Well then forget what I posted...

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

If I were rich, I would move to paso, love the area.
All of the above are good/ great. I too belong to tablas creek wine club.. Must stop. Right around the corner is a smaller wine stop with Kiamie, and Tolo. Both very good. Down further is Justin, nice , but kinda pricey for the product.
For the view,( don't care for the wine as much) is DAOU, can't beat the view of the area.
Now if you like the Rhone variety, a stop at one of California's " godfather of Rhone rangers" is Eberle on the east side. Gary and company are great in my opinion.
And as Larry said, if you can make it to his shop in Los oliveos, you will not regret it.
As for food, all mentioned are good, also Basil Thai.
If you like beer at all, stop by Firestone, they have a tasting room and a newer pub right across the street from each other.
Forgot to mention zin alley, great zin , crazy winemaker ( in a good way)

time2testit

Thanks all! So far some amazing (and different) suggestions! We found that we really enjoy rhone blend (GSM) so suggestions with those are encouraged too!

kylemittskus

time2testit wrote:Thanks all! So far some amazing (and different) suggestions! We found that we really enjoy rhone blend (GSM) so suggestions with those are encouraged too!

GSM would be Tablas Creek (they're co-founded by the owners of Ch. de Beaucastel -- hugely popular CdP producer and a must go if you're specifically interested in Rhone blends), Stillman does a couple of Syrahs, Eberle has a GSM, a Syrah, and at least two white Rhone varietal/blends. A lot of the Paso wineries have a little bit of everything. Justin does BDX varietals exclusively, I believe, and Turley does PS and Zin almost exclusively. But generally, most have some of everything.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
ERMD wrote:If I were rich, I would move to paso, love the area.
All of the above are good/ great. I too belong to tablas creek wine club.. Must stop. Right around the corner is a smaller wine stop with Kiamie, and Tolo. Both very good. Down further is Justin, nice , but kinda pricey for the product.
For the view,( don't care for the wine as much) is DAOU, can't beat the view of the area.
Now if you like the Rhone variety, a stop at one of California's " godfather of Rhone rangers" is Eberle on the east side. Gary and company are great in my opinion.
And as Larry said, if you can make it to his shop in Los oliveos, you will not regret it.
As for food, all mentioned are good, also Basil Thai.
If you like beer at all, stop by Firestone, they have a tasting room and a newer pub right across the street from each other.
Forgot to mention zin alley, great zin , crazy winemaker ( in a good way)

Eberle as Godfather of the Rhone Rangers?! Blasphemy! Definitely belongs to Alban.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
loveladyelectric wrote:Eberle as Godfather of the Rhone Rangers?! Blasphemy! Definitely belongs to Alban.

Sorry, Gary added the much needed Syrah.

tercerowines

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tercerowines

Hey folks - are we talking Rhone Rangers version 1 or 2?!?!?

Gary Eberle certainly has to be given a lot of credit for introducing rhone varieties in the US - long before John Alban considered doing so. Others that need to be given credit include Randall Graham, Bill Easton up at Terre Rouge, Steve Edmunds of Edmunds St Johm, and Bob Linquist of Qupe . . . and there's plenty more of course!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

time2testit

tercerowines wrote:Hey folks - are we talking Rhone Rangers version 1 or 2?!?!?

Gary Eberle certainly has to be given a lot of credit for introducing rhone varieties in the US - long before John Alban considered doing so. Others that need to be given credit include Randall Graham, Bill Easton up at Terre Rouge, Steve Edmunds of Edmunds St Johm, and Bob Linquist of Qupe . . . and there's plenty more of course!

Cheers!

I love that this thread is still going, and I have no idea about the history of the Rhones' arrival in Paso (and vicinity), but I do know that we enjoyed many of the places that were suggested on the thread (including of course, the wonderful Rhones and non-Rhones at Tercero).

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I've never visited, but Denner makes some pretty spectacular wines in Paso:

http://www.dennervineyards.com/

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp
redwinefan wrote:I've never visited, but Denner makes some pretty spectacular wines in Paso:

http://www.dennervineyards.com/

I'm jumping in late here, very late. But I couldn't let this thread exist without mentioning Booker.

My favorites in Paso (for anyone looking through this thread in the future): Booker, Denner, L'Aventure, Linne Calodo, Villa Creek, Tablas Creek, and Turley.

Anything with James Berry juice in it is worth drinking IMHO.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

My parents are Opolo members, and most of their wines are heavily in the fruit bomb camp with a very pervasive house style. I usually enjoy them just fine, but they are not usually very nuanced. Having said that, I had some Tempranillo from them a couple weeks ago that I thought was very nice. Tasted nothing like Rioja, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Enjoy your trip to Paso, it is a very beautiful corner of the world.