bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
chipgreen wrote:Behold, the Holy Grail!

No, no, there's a beer for that The actual Grail

drvalu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drvalu

Remember, Florida strawberries will be available in Feb., so save some for them.

Thomas Moore

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

WD/woot/et al,
Please put the nutrition label info up in the stats section for any food item, or at least a photo that includes the label so we can read it.

But since you're probably not going to do that for this offer, please list all the data here.

Thanks.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

gdesilvio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gdesilvio

Drizzle a bit on boring vegetables like green beans. Instantly you are an incredible cook.

A couple years back this piqued my curiosity, so I went to Zingermans for a variety of balsamic a including some very high end stuff. This is still my favorite.

legotech

quality posts: 1 Private Messages legotech

So this isn't the real quality stuff...it IS better than the stuff you'd buy at a supermarket, but this is specifically made as a cheaper product. "Real" Balsamico is aged at least 12 years.

I'm not saying that this won't be better than just about any stuff you might normally buy, but don't be fooled into thinking this is a top shelf product.

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica

$40 for a half pint? Like those milk cartons we used to get in school? How can it be that good?

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii

This is truly delicious. Not even remotely similar to the 'Balsamic vinegar' you get at grocery stores.

My most successful dish with this is panna cotta topped with a strawberry/balsamic compote. Great hit at a dinner party!

For the compote: I cut the strayberries into 1/4th wedges after removing the ends, then drizzled some of this balsamic over them, very gently tossed to coat and let sit for ~10 minutes or so.

Just trying to decide if I want another bottle as a spare, as I rather sparingly have been working through my first... probably worth it.

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123

Finally, something that ships to Virginia.

When will our legislators realize that they have left a Balsamic loophole in the law and craft something to protect the lucrative Virgina vinegar industry?

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

I can not believe I just spent $40 on a bottle of vinegar. :-o

I'm taking you all on your word that this stuff is wonderful.

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB

WANT. Why did this have to come up just before payday? Woot is taunting me.

I was first introduced to good balsamic about 15 years ago as a drizzle on an amazing mushroom pasta dish. I have been known to reduce the cheeper stuff to a sauce, adding sugar, when I can't afford the good kind. Fabulous on sreawberries and/or ice cream! I haven't had this brand, but I so want to give it a try!

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf
legotech wrote:So this isn't the real quality stuff...it IS better than the stuff you'd buy at a supermarket, but this is specifically made as a cheaper product. "Real" Balsamico is aged at least 12 years.

I'm not saying that this won't be better than just about any stuff you might normally buy, but don't be fooled into thinking this is a top shelf product.

Yup. This is not the really good stuff. I haven't tried this yet but I am very fond of the cheaper gold label stuff at Trader Joe's. I wonder what the difference is.

drewballa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewballa

[quote postid="5258352" user="chipgreen"]Behold, the Holy Grail!

And so it is, finally, on this day, that I checked woot early enough to find the yellow button in tact.

I love balsamic and can't wait to see how this compares to the 25yr I keep around for, well, everything including ice cream. There will be no losers that day.

micahfishes

quality posts: 6 Private Messages micahfishes

C-c-c-c-combo Breaker!

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04
mschauber wrote:WD/woot/et al,
Please put the nutrition label info up in the stats section for any food item, or at least a photo that includes the label so we can read it.

Yes, this ^. Thank you!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
legotech wrote:So this isn't the real quality stuff...it IS better than the stuff you'd buy at a supermarket, but this is specifically made as a cheaper product. "Real" Balsamico is aged at least 12 years.

Hopefully some from Casa di Case gets on. You are correct. He let a few bottles of real balasamic go at wholesale. 1 oz for $80, IIRC. It is better, but not enough for me. This stuff tasted almost as good to me, and much better price.

Better get in my order.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

WD - thanks for getting this together before Christmas. We appreciate it. And you won't have the multiple posts during gift week begging for it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

XterraGuy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages XterraGuy

So very very good. This will be my third bottle. I end up consuming most of it straight from the bottle.
Buy it, you won't regret it.

billmarsano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmarsano

This may very well be a very nice vinegar, but don't think for a minute that this is the justly renowned Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale: it's to cheap; you don't find the real thing at this price. It's not the right name or bottle or age. The real stuff is ALWAYS labeled Aceto Balsamico TRADIZIONALE--by law!--and comes in a unique bottle shaped like the Florence flask used in chem labs. Every producer of the real thing uses the same bottle, no one else can--by law. The real stuff is never sold at less than 25 years of age.

nkoves2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkoves2000

After seeing all the above and beyond positive comments, I picked one up to see what all the fuss is about and I have a feeling I wont be sorry!

bigbear83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigbear83

I've passed this one up far too many times now. In for two!

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

Love this - even if it's not "the real stuff". The box and pouring cork make it a great presentation for gifting. The receiver will definitely appreciate it!

jgiannon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgiannon

This is a must buy for me everytime it comes up on woot, in for two.

derekofhellfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekofhellfire

Freakin Sweet. I was running perilously low... in for two! :D

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

It is good stuff - as you can see most are buying 2 bottles - the max for this purchase - and 90% over 1 year members. The people who know are grabbing more

This will be the first year we dont buy it. Hopefully it will sell out quickly so I wont be tempted

We had a lot of traveling to do this year and so didn't get to cook much at home, so we still have 2 bottles.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
polarbear22 wrote:Hopefully some from Casa di Case gets on. You are correct. He let a few bottles of real balasamic go at wholesale. 1 oz for $80, IIRC. It is better, but not enough for me. This stuff tasted almost as good to me, and much better price.

I found the same thing. The traditionale was better, but I am not sure it was 30 dollars better. The gap between the traditionale and this one is much smaller than the gap between this and what you buy at trader joes.
The gap between this and grocery store balsamic is more like a vast gulf, almost like it is not even the same thing.

hunter7411

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hunter7411

This is some great stuff! I still have my bottles from the last offering because I'm rationing them ;)

hunter7411

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hunter7411

Whats with the price increase on a lot of previous item offerings? Last time it was for $34.99. Stupid inflation.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan
legotech wrote:...I'm not saying that this won't be better than just about any stuff you might normally buy, but don't be fooled into thinking this is a top shelf product.

2 comments for you:

1) Have you tried it and/or compared it against 12 year balsamic? If not, you should state this before providing your (somewhat flawed) observation.

2) You suggest that this is not a "top shelf product" which, in my opinion is a flawed comment. This is a "top shelf product" that has simply been aged for 7-years (vs 12 or 25). In wine terms, would you suggest a 1996 Screaming Eagle is not a "top shelf product" but a bottle of 1991 Screaming Eagle is "top shelf".

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
jeffandmonica wrote:$40 for a half pint? Like those milk cartons we used to get in school? How can it be that good?

I passed on earlier offers too, wondering the same thing. Finally caved last time around and got two. I'll not be making that mistake again any time soon; two again.
It really is that good.

CT

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

Two days in a root, Woot has read my mind!!! This stuff is the freakin bomb!!! Still haven't been brave enough to pour a little on ice cream, but I've made some of the best balsamic galzes ever with this stuff. In for another 1!!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I bought of some this last year (which was actually this year) for the first time. It is quite good and if you picture balsamic as something you find at a regular grocery store, this is absolutely nothing like it. I bought two last time and still have a full one and 2/3rd of the second one. We use it very sparingly and actually haven't even tried it for the two uses that people rave about, ice cream and strawberries. I like to add a little with oil and herbs for dipping bread and the wife likes to use it for a caprese salad.

The one thing that really surprised me when I first received this in the mail, was how small the bottle was. This bottle is tiny, but a little bit goes a very long ways.

Good stuff. For me it is hard to justify, even at this price, but thankfully I don't have to make that decision since I still have plenty left.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

krissyMS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages krissyMS

In for 2!!! can't pass this up, especially with the holidays around the corner! And yes, although it is weird, on vanilla ice cream it is surprisingly fabulous!!!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

What do you mean I am all out of money? I still have all these checks left!!!!

That being said I am in for 2 even though I still have 2 1/2 left. These are great and will make wonderful gifts to some special friends.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Two heading my way--we'll see how many are gifted. I've served vanilla bean ice cream with a drizzle of this and a sprinkling of Brandini toppers to rave reviews!
Cheers!

Last Wooter to Woot:cynthylee

Cirrius

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cirrius

I purchased a couple of these last year for Christmas presents. On Christmas day when presents were opened I was surprised to see my Mother had a different gift...my wife had gone out and purchased it to replace this Balsamic so she could stash the bottle!

notsomuch

quality posts: 7 Private Messages notsomuch
jeffandmonica wrote:$40 for a half pint? Like those milk cartons we used to get in school? How can it be that good?

It's that good.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

mudderfudder77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mudderfudder77

In for two based on the comments/reviews here.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444
mudderfudder77 wrote:In for two based on the comments/reviews here.

agreed, one for me, one for my mom.

nancyjorgensen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyjorgensen

It might be good, but I get 18 yr. old true italian balsamico from a local olive oil store for $25/500ml. I'm outta here.

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

Well it can be true that Cavedoni produces tradizionale balsamic vinegars, but the Botte Piccola is not 100% grape must, some vinegar is added and it is aged for only seven years instead of the minimum 12 required for consortium certification. The label shows cooked grape must as the first ingredient, wine vinegar is the second ingredient.

Now you have to understand that this stuff is awesome for the price you pay, of course there is better quality with more aging, but if you want to get the best of the best, well you have to pay for the luxury. At this price point this is a luxury product above the supermarket cheap balsamic, from here you can just go up.

EXTRA INFO:

Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (Aceto Balsamico di Modena), is a modern imitation of the traditional product.
Only two consortia produce true traditional balsamic vinegar, Modena and Reggio Emilia. True balsamic vinegar is made from a reduction of pressed Trebbiano and Lambrusco grapes. The resulting thick syrup, called mosto cotto in Italian, is subsequently aged for a minimum of 12 years in a battery of seven barrels of successively smaller sizes(Just in case that is the Solera process). The casks are made of different woods like chestnut, acacia, cherry, oak, mulberry, ash, and, in the past, juniper. True balsamic vinegar is rich, glossy, deep brown in color and has a complex flavour that balances the natural sweet and sour elements of the cooked grape juice with hints of wood from the casks.

Reggio Emilia designates the different ages of their balsamic vinegar (Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Reggio Emilia) by label colour. A red label means the vinegar has been aged for at least 12 years, a silver label that the vinegar has aged for at least 18 years and a gold label that designates the vinegar has aged for 25 years or more.

Modena uses a different system to indicate the age of its balsamic vinegars (Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena). A cream-coloured cap means the vinegar has aged for at least 12 years and a magenta cap bearing the designation extravecchio (extra old) shows the vinegar has aged for 25 years or more.