WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sextant Cabernet Sauvignon (4)

Speed to First Woot:
5m 22.774s
First Sucker:
chorleys
Last Wooter to Woot:
montegobayjr
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 30% of Wine Woots
Bottom 38% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 46% of Wine Woots
Bottom 48% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 9% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 25% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 43% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 5% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 24% one year old
  • 70% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 87% bought 1
  • 12% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
2%
0%
1%
3%
8%
1%
7%
7%
5%
7%
7%
4%
7%
3%
3%
4%
4%
8%
2%
8%
2%
1%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare

Sextant 2010 Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $119.90) 42% off List Price
2010 Sextant Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20


quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

judging by the vintage, these seem young but most fruit forward cabs are released young. Will there be any benefit to holding onto these for a few years or are they as good as they are going to get upon release like most new world cabs?

CT

tylerhaas


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tylerhaas
cortot20 wrote:judging by the vintage, these seem young but most fruit forward cabs are released young. Will there be any benefit to holding onto these for a few years or are they as good as they are going to get upon release like most new world cabs?



I work at a wine store that sells this wine ($20 a bottle, if you're curious, so the price plus shipping on a 4-pack is better here than you'd get where I work, even if you got 3 4-packs and a case discount of 10% from us). My tasting notes on it -- big cherry and cassis notes in the nose, with primary fruit showing up all over in the mouth. Large, plush mouthfeel. A little chocolate/mocha on the finish, very easy tannins. Feels a bit topheavy, kind of forward, with a little more backbone needed to balance it, but quite tasty and easy to drink. Not for long term aging, drink now through 2017. 89 points.

Overall, my impression of the wine is positive at $20, so at Woot's price of $17.50, it's even better QPR.

treylunn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treylunn

Their recently offered Zinfandel is awful. Have a great day.

manny651


quality posts: 1 Private Messages manny651

any idea as to significant price increase on these since last year's offering? these were offered at 6 for $62.99 for the 2009 vintage a year ago, now they are 4 for $69.99 for the 2010 vintage. A price increase of about 67%. Quite a jump.

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Bought the 2010 wheelhouse zin. Paso zins are my fav wines but have to say I was dissappointed. My bottles had lots of fines/sediment will this cab have this as well ?

neilfindswine


quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

manny651 wrote:any idea as to significant price increase on these since last year's offering? these were offered at 6 for $62.99 for the 2009 vintage a year ago, now they are 4 for $69.99 for the 2010 vintage. A price increase of about 67%. Quite a jump.



Those offered last year were Sextant's "Central Coast" series. This is their Paso Robles appellation-specific Cab.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

greyday


quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

I picked up the 09 back when it was on here. Really like it quite a bit, don't have my notes but I do remember it being fruit forward but balanced with good mouth feel. If I hadn't bought the 3L in the magnum deals, I'd probably be in for 2 or 3...

Winedavid39


quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

tylerhaas wrote:I work at a wine store that sells this wine ($20 a bottle, if you're curious, so the price plus shipping on a 4-pack is better here than you'd get where I work, even if you got 3 4-packs and a case discount of 10% from us). My tasting notes on it -- big cherry and cassis notes in the nose, with primary fruit showing up all over in the mouth. Large, plush mouthfeel. A little chocolate/mocha on the finish, very easy tannins. Feels a bit topheavy, kind of forward, with a little more backbone needed to balance it, but quite tasty and easy to drink. Not for long term aging, drink now through 2017. 89 points.

Overall, my impression of the wine is positive at $20, so at Woot's price of $17.50, it's even better QPR.



great input. thanks!

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
treylunn wrote:Their recently offered Zinfandel is awful. Have a great day.



I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our Wheelhouse Zinfandel. Perhaps due to the sediment? If so, I'm here to tell you that sediment is a good thing. It means that a wine has not been filtered or fined to obscurity. In fact, filtration strips wine of significant properties and flavors. In this case, our winemaker choose not to filter in order to showcase the rich flavors and natural aromas that this Zinfandel offers.

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant

Feel free to contact me at the winery so I can make it right. And of course you can always email support@woot.com regarding your woot purchases.

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
true559 wrote:Bought the 2010 wheelhouse zin. Paso zins are my fav wines but have to say I was dissappointed. My bottles had lots of fines/sediment will this cab this as well ?



This cab is filtered. There is no sediment.

kleverkira


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kleverkira

Huh, I liked the Wheelhouse Zin quite a bit (of the one bottle I've drunk so far) and am keen to get the Cab as well. I do need to fill out the wine rack with some bottles that are nice but can actually be consumed in the near future.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chatsextant wrote:In fact, filtration strips wine of significant properties and flavors.


chatsextant wrote:This cab is filtered. There is no sediment.



??????

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
chatsextant wrote:Feel free to contact me at the winery so I can make it right. And of course you can always email support@woot.com regarding your woot purchases.



me=Ashlie. Ashlie@SextantWines.com

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
kylemittskus wrote:??????



Unfiltered wines are not inherently better, and no lack of fining or filtering makes a bad wine good. Understand!

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
greyday wrote:I picked up the 09 back when it was on here. Really like it quite a bit, don't have my notes but I do remember it being fruit forward but balanced with good mouth feel. If I hadn't bought the 3L in the magnum deals, I'd probably be in for 2 or 3...



This is our first release of a Paso Robles (AVA) Cabernet Sauvignon. Perhaps you picked up our 2009 Sextant Central Coast (AVA) Cabernet Sauvignon.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chatsextant wrote:Unfiltered wines are not inherently better, and no lack of fining or filtering makes a bad wine good. Understand!



I love unfiltered wines. I ain't afraid a' no sediment! Those two comments are just strange next to each other.

Why did you filter the CS and not the Zin?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

emccarl


quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

Let me preface my post by stating that I am a huge Sextant Wheelhouse Zin fan. I went through a few cases of the 2007 (which was GREAT), and bought a few bottles of the 2008 vintage from Costco (which were good, but not equal to the 2007).

A few weeks ago I purchased 5 bottles of the 2010 (at $16 per bottle)from woot, the same wine being sold here today. After sitting for enough time, I opened the 2010, excited by the possibility that this would be as good or better than the 2007.

I was VERY disappointed with the 2010. It tasted more like the kind of blueberry syrup that I would put on pancakes. Very sweet, very fruity, but literally undrinkable. I do like Zin fruit bombs, if the wine has other redeeming qualities. None to be found in the 2010 Sextant.

To add to my frustration, I visited the San Diego Wine Company (sandiegowine.net) later in the week, and found they are selling this wine at $9.95.

Sorry Sextant, it breaks my heart to say this, but I highly suggest passing on this. I have 4 bottles left, and will most likely give them away for Christmas to new wine drinkers who have undeveloped pallets for good wine.

nealkb


quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
emccarl wrote:Let me preface my post by stating that I am a huge Sextant Wheelhouse Zin fan. I went through a few cases of the 2007 (which was GREAT), and bought a few bottles of the 2008 vintage from Costco (which were good, but not equal to the 2007).

A few weeks ago I purchased 5 bottles of the 2010 (at $16 per bottle)from woot, the same wine being sold here today. After sitting for enough time, I opened the 2010, excited by the possibility that this would be as good or better than the 2007.

I was VERY disappointed with the 2010. It tasted more like the kind of blueberry syrup that I would put on pancakes. Very sweet, very fruity, but literally undrinkable. I do like Zin fruit bombs, if the wine has other redeeming qualities. None to be found in the 2010 Sextant.

To add to my frustration, I visited the San Diego Wine Company (sandiegowine.net) later in the week, and found they are selling this wine at $9.95.

Sorry Sextant, it breaks my heart to say this, but I highly suggest passing on this. I have 4 bottles left, and will most likely give them away for Christmas to new wine drinkers who have undeveloped pallets for good wine.



Last I checked, this was a CS. Not a Zin.

Neal K Bharadwaj

cwc22


quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwc22
emccarl wrote: I purchased 5 bottles of the 2010 (at $16 per bottle)from woot, the same wine being sold here today.



It's not the same wine. That was a Zin, and today's is a Cab.

I actually really liked both the 2009 and 2010 Wheelhouse Zins. Wish I'd had the opportunity to try the 2007 to compare.

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
emccarl wrote:Let me preface my post by stating that I am a huge Sextant Wheelhouse Zin fan. I went through a few cases of the 2007 (which was GREAT), and bought a few bottles of the 2008 vintage from Costco (which were good, but not equal to the 2007).

A few weeks ago I purchased 5 bottles of the 2010 (at $16 per bottle)from woot, the same wine being sold here today. After sitting for enough time, I opened the 2010, excited by the possibility that this would be as good or better than the 2007.

I was VERY disappointed with the 2010. It tasted more like the kind of blueberry syrup that I would put on pancakes. Very sweet, very fruity, but literally undrinkable. I do like Zin fruit bombs, if the wine has other redeeming qualities. None to be found in the 2010 Sextant.

To add to my frustration, I visited the San Diego Wine Company (sandiegowine.net) later in the week, and found they are selling this wine at $9.95.

Sorry Sextant, it breaks my heart to say this, but I highly suggest passing on this. I have 4 bottles left, and will most likely give them away for Christmas to new wine drinkers who have undeveloped pallets for good wine.



You have 4 bottles of Wheelhouse Zinfandel left? This offering is for our 2010 Sextant Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon. Not Zinfandel! The San Diego Wine Co. does not have our Paso Cab on sale for $9.95. And to add, the wine on sale for $9.95 is our Central Coast Zinfandel not our Wheelhouse Zinfandel.

http://sandiegowine.net/store/search/brand/Sextant/

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chatsextant wrote:You have 4 bottles of Wheelhouse Zinfandel left? This offering is for our 2010 Sextant Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon. Not Zinfandel! The San Diego Wine Co. does not have our Paso Cab on sale for $9.95. And to add, the wine on sale for $9.95 is our Central Coast Zinfandel not our Wheelhouse Zinfandel.

http://sandiegowine.net/store/search/brand/Sextant/



emccarl, you sir, just got CoRkEd!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mstern20878


quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878
chatsextant wrote:You have 4 bottles of Wheelhouse Zinfandel left? This offering is for our 2010 Sextant Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon. Not Zinfandel! The San Diego Wine Co. does not have our Paso Cab on sale for $9.95. And to add, the wine on sale for $9.95 is our Central Coast Zinfandel not our Wheelhouse Zinfandel.

Schooled!

http://sandiegowine.net/store/search/brand/Sextant/



cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I believe Kyle is confused by the following (and I am too):

First in reference to a customer who didn't like the sediment in their zin:

chatsextant wrote:
In fact, filtration strips wine of significant properties and flavors.




Then you talk about this wine:

chatsextant wrote:
This cab is filtered. There is no sediment.



The combination of the above two statements basically says "we stripped this cab we want to sell to you of significant properties and flavors"


chatsextant wrote:Unfiltered wines are not inherently better, and no lack of fining or filtering makes a bad wine good. Understand!



This statement I agree with but it seems a bit disingenuous having so many contradicting statements. It seems that you aim to please everyone with every wine. I'd much rather have a wine be made with great purposefulness in a particular style knowing that some will like it and some will not.

Now, knowing that the zin was not filtered and the cab was, what is the winemaker's intent/reasoning for those two choices?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

dispute21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dispute21
chatsextant wrote:me=Ashlie. Ashlie@SextantWines.com



Hey Ashlie, tell Nancy I said hi!
-Travis

“I learned that pain produces certain things that complacency can’t.”
- Eric Thomas

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

good god folks read before you make comments.
bought my 4 early this morning, got a new 105 bottle rack being shipped need to fill.

scott0210


quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
kylemittskus wrote:chatsextant wrote:
In fact, filtration strips wine of significant properties and flavors.

chatsextant wrote:
This cab is filtered. There is no sediment.

??????



I was for it before I was against it.

Symbolic2007


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

Never touching Sextant again. I purchased the following deal some months ago:
http://wine.woot.com/offers/sextant-central-coast-zinfandel

There wasn't "sediment" from the wine. Rather the corks were all rotted about a quarter away and pieces were floating in the wine. The wine itself tasted like vinegar. ALL 6 bottles were this way. I opened one or two within the first month of receiving the shipment. After the third was the same way, I poured out the rest and confirmed the inevitable.

Maybe if it had been one bottle, I could excuse it, but something went horribly wrong during their bottling of that batch and I really just can't trust shelling out that kind of money again.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
Symbolic2007 wrote:Never touching Sextant again. I purchased the following deal some months ago:
http://wine.woot.com/offers/sextant-central-coast-zinfandel

There wasn't "sediment" from the wine. Rather the corks were all rotted about a quarter away and pieces were floating in the wine. The wine itself tasted like vinegar. ALL 6 bottles were this way. I opened one or two within the first month of receiving the shipment. After the third was the same way, I poured out the rest and confirmed the inevitable.

Maybe if it had been one bottle, I could excuse it, but something went horribly wrong during their bottling of that batch and I really just can't trust shelling out that kind of money again.



That sounds like a shipping issue. If you EVER have issues of any type with woot wines, contact service.woot.com. Woot is really good about making good on any wines that are spoiled. The wineries are generally very good about this too. Don't let a bad batch dissuade you from potentially good wine. Also don't feel that you spent money on spoiled wine, get it fixed!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmaldoon wrote:This statement I agree with but it seems a bit disingenuous having so many contradicting statements. It seems that you aim to please everyone with every wine. I'd much rather have a wine be made with great purposefulness in a particular style knowing that some will like it and some will not.

Now, knowing that the zin was not filtered and the cab was, what is the winemaker's intent/reasoning for those two choices?



This is what my "?????" meant. This reminds me of the "This Merlot doesn't even taste like a Merlot; you'll love it" type of marketing. Not something I particularly like. Although I understand the hustle with the general public, we here are generally more wine-educated than said general public (meant in a completely earnest and un-highbrow way).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
cmaldoon wrote:That sounds like a shipping issue. If you EVER have issues of any type with woot wines, contact service.woot.com. Woot is really good about making good on any wines that are spoiled. The wineries are generally very good about this too. Don't let a bad batch dissuade you from potentially good wine. Also don't feel that you spent money on spoiled wine, get it fixed!

Agree woot always makes good, I had problems 2 times, one time they sent new wine, much better, the other refunded my $$ no questions asked.
If anyone has a problem don't whine (pun intended) contact woot.

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
scott0210 wrote:I was for it before I was against it.



Wines are sometimes polish filtered to avoid excessive sediment in the bottle.

chatsextant


quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
Symbolic2007 wrote:Never touching Sextant again. I purchased the following deal some months ago:
http://wine.woot.com/offers/sextant-central-coast-zinfandel

There wasn't "sediment" from the wine. Rather the corks were all rotted about a quarter away and pieces were floating in the wine. The wine itself tasted like vinegar. ALL 6 bottles were this way. I opened one or two within the first month of receiving the shipment. After the third was the same way, I poured out the rest and confirmed the inevitable.

Maybe if it had been one bottle, I could excuse it, but something went horribly wrong during their bottling of that batch and I really just can't trust shelling out that kind of money again.



I apologize this happened to you, this seems like a shipping and handling issue to me. It is very important to us that all customers have a positive journey and experience with Sextant.
Please send me an email at ashlie@sextantwines.com and we will get this issue resolved.

kaleidos


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaleidos

This is Steve Martell, the Winemaker at Sextant. I want to clarify a few things about this wine and some statements made about filtering. We have not fined or filtered any red wines produced at Sextant since 2010, so neither the 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles nor the 2010 Wheelhouse were filtered. There is what some people may see as excessive sediment in the 2010 Wheelhouse because it was bottled early with only about 12 months in barrel. This relatively short time frame in the barrel did not allow all of the solids to settle to the bottom of the barrel before we made the blend. Thus some of these solids made it into the bottle and some will probably even end up in your glass. It is not at all bad for you and is nothing anybody should worry about. On the contrary, a little sediment shows that the wine is hand crafted with care to preserve the true character of the wine without striping out color and flavor by filtering out all that yummy goodness. Here at Sextant we strive to consistently produce top quality and wines free of faults and defects. If anybody ordering wines from Woot has any issues with their shipment please contact Woot or feel free to contact us directly so we can resolve the issue. Our goal is to make lots of happy Sextant wine fans. Cheers, Steve Martell

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
kaleidos wrote:This is Steve Martell, the Winemaker at Sextant. I want to clarify a few things about this wine ........ "Lots of reasonable things that show reason and intention in the wine making as well as a care for the consumer"



Thank You Steve. We want it straight just as you gave it.

I quite agree that a bit sediment in a glass is not a bad thing.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmaldoon wrote:Thank You Steve. We want it straight just as you gave it.

I quite agree that a bit sediment in a glass is not a bad thing.



+1 and +1.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

emccarl


quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
chatsextant wrote:You have 4 bottles of Wheelhouse Zinfandel left? This offering is for our 2010 Sextant Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon. Not Zinfandel! The San Diego Wine Co. does not have our Paso Cab on sale for $9.95. And to add, the wine on sale for $9.95 is our Central Coast Zinfandel not our Wheelhouse Zinfandel.

http://sandiegowine.net/store/search/brand/Sextant/



Oooooooooooppppppppppppps!!!

Or as Roseanne Rosanadana would say, "Never Mind!"

I apologize to the wonderful people at Sextant, as well as to my fellow wooters.

In order to make up for my bad, I'm in for one.

Last Wooter to Woot:
emccarl

kaleidos


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaleidos
chatsextant wrote:I apologize this happened to you, this seems like a shipping and handling issue to me. It is very important to us that all customers have a positive journey and experience with Sextant.
Please send me an email at ashlie@sextantwines.com and we will get this issue resolved.