mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
trifecta wrote:Darn it!! I waited too long to make a decision. Kept checking to see if the button was pulsing, but I guess it doesn't do that for woot plus.

Argh... Maybe I can contact Scott/Monica directly...

I have a feeling that Monica would do whatever she can to honor the deal if they have any left. If you speak to Monica, tell her I apologize for sending her even more rambling emails. Even my quick replies on woot are sounding less and less coherent while getting longer and longer.. ARGH!!!!

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

The Tom Eddy 2006 reserve..... I don't see a wine like that on their site or in cellar tracker. They have a very special reserve, and various other designations but not just straight reserve. What does the back label (which has all of the real info for his wines) say?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

joshaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joshaw

Man, I am so bummed I missed this. If anyone in OC needs help finishing yours, I'm your man.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cmaldoon wrote:The Tom Eddy 2006 reserve..... I don't see a wine like that on their site or in cellar tracker. They have a very special reserve, and various other designations but not just straight reserve. What does the back label (which has all of the real info for his wines) say?

WD? Neil? Tom? Anyone? Bueller?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tomeddywines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomeddywines
cmaldoon wrote:The Tom Eddy 2006 reserve..... I don't see a wine like that on their site or in cellar tracker. They have a very special reserve, and various other designations but not just straight reserve. What does the back label (which has all of the real info for his wines) say?

tomeddywines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomeddywines

CMALDOON, you are correct-this is actually our Estate, flagship wine. As you mentioned, we do occaionsly make a VSR (Very Special Red). Have done this a couple of times. We also occasionaly do a small single vyd bottling. However, in 2006 the vintage was smaller and a bit more rugged, so we just produced Estate. 2006 is turning out to be a sleeper...with better balance than the 2004 or 2007. It should be ageing perfect now for a magnum. Let me know how its tasting. Cheers! Tom Eddy

cmaldoon wrote:WD? Neil? Tom? Anyone? Bueller?

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

My 2007 Jana Cathedral showed up today with a nice hand written postcard from Scott. A very nice touch. I might have to invite him to the party we throw when uncork it in 18 years

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bkarlan wrote:My 2007 Jana Cathedral showed up today with a nice hand written postcard from Scott. A very nice touch. I might have to invite him to the party we throw when uncork it in 18 years

A postcard? I didn't see a postcard...just the signature on the bottle?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew
bkarlan wrote:My 2007 Jana Cathedral showed up today with a nice hand written postcard from Scott. A very nice touch. I might have to invite him to the party we throw when uncork it in 18 years

Curious - mine turned up and says Whispering Pines Winery on the front of the bottle. Did anyone else have this?

fred2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fred2001
North316 wrote:A postcard? I didn't see a postcard...just the signature on the bottle?

Mine had a signature on the bottle - very nice touch, Scott.

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy
dalematthew wrote:Curious - mine turned up and says Whispering Pines Winery on the front of the bottle. Did anyone else have this?

Mine turned up the same way -- and came with a postcard talking about that, but the explanation confused me. Perhaps if I knew what "Whispering Vine" was and why those bottles were "specially etched" it would help me undertand.

Nonetheless, I'm now trying to figure out how I'm going to store this for a few years safely!

bkarlan

North316 wrote:A postcard? I didn't see a postcard...just the signature on the bottle?

Yeah the bottle was signed and there was a black "Jana" postcard on top of the foam. It might have slipped to the side of the foam or maybe it could be on the "other" side, depending on which side you opened. Either way, here is what it said:
"Dear Wooter: Enjoy our 2007 Jana Cathedral/Wispering Vine Napa Valley Cabernet. When we bottle this wine some of it was out into these specially etched Wispering Vine bottles. We hope you enjoy this same wine in this special bottle. Cheers, Scott Harvey. Winemaker

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

North316

bkarlan wrote:Yeah the bottle was signed and there was a black "Jana" postcard on top of the foam. It might have slipped to the side of the foam or maybe it could be on the "other" side, depending on which side you opened. Either way, here is what it said:
"Dear Wooter: Enjoy our 2007 Jana Cathedral/Wispering Vine Napa Valley Cabernet. When we bottle this wine some of it was out into these specially etched Wispering Vine bottles. We hope you enjoy this same wine in this special bottle. Cheers, Scott Harvey. Winemaker

Interesting, maybe I didn't get the postcard because I didn't get an etched Whispering Vine/Pine bottle? Any change you can post a picture of the bottle, just curious what it looks like.

Also, still the same great wine, but probably something they should have told us about to start with?

My CT

bkarlan

North316 wrote:Interesting, maybe I didn't get the postcard because I didn't get an etched Whispering Vine/Pine bottle? Any change you can post a picture of the bottle, just curious what it looks like.

Also, still the same great wine, but probably something they should have told us about to start with?

I will grab you a picture tomorrow. The bottle is tucked away in the closet right now and I have been drink some Sam Adam Millennium tonight. Not really in the right state of mind to go take it out and snap a picture right now.

The bottle looks completely different that what is advertised. At first I was miffed, but after a bit of searching I was pretty happy as I couldn't find any info on it (or a picture) even on SH site. So needless to say I am pretty excited.

Hopefully wherever the wife and I are in 18 years I can get SH to come to the party and uncork it for us. Maybe some of you local wooters can come crash the party

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

Guess I got the non-Whispering Pines bottle w/o postcard but including signature on bottle, thanks Scott!

bkarlan

Images as promised.
Front

Back

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
bkarlan wrote:Images as promised.
Front

Back

Mine looks totally different. Signed bottle, no postcard, white and purple writing on a 3L Jana bottle.

Interesting.....Is this the same wine?

Is it broke or just fractured?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
rlmanzo wrote:Mine looks totally different. Signed bottle, no postcard, white and purple writing on a 3L Jana bottle.

Interesting.....Is this the same wine?

And why the 2 different bottles?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

drewballa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewballa

Anyone receive or have an updated/estimated date for the Big Horn stocking stuffer? My initial date has came and went...fingers crossed for delivery before the holiday!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

drewballa wrote:Anyone receive or have an updated/estimated date for the Big Horn stocking stuffer? My initial date has came and went...fingers crossed for delivery before the holiday!

We're just now reaching the 3rd week (depending on when you ordered). I imagine they'll go out on Monday or Tuesday.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dalematthew

kylemittskus wrote:And why the 2 different bottles?

I emailed Monica to ask what had happened. She was going to check with Scott but told me:

" We received Cabernet grapes from two
different vineyards in 2007, and Whispering Pines, according to our
inventory, was much more limited than the other bottling. We only bottled
40 3L of the Whispering Pines vineyard. Sadly, I have not tasted the wine
from this particular vineyard, and probably won't ever have the chance
too."

So maybe different wine? Anyway - will wait for more info but it really was the Cathedral I was looking for for my vertical.

dalematthew

FYI - Scott confirmed it is the same wine, bottled at the same time.

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but...

The bottle of Jana Cathedral is what pushed me over the edge to finally get a good wine cellar/refrigerator for long-term storage/aging (well, that and getting on the Bond Estates allocation list...), so I ordered a Vinotheque.

I was updating my Cellartracker inventory last night in preparation for loading up the Vinotheque, and picked up the Jana bottle which I had never really looked at too closely before. It appears that the wax cap on it partially melted and exposed part of the cork. There is no way this happened in my house, as there are no heat sources near my wine bar, and no other bottles of wine have shown anything like that. I'd be surprised if it happened during shipping given the time of year it is, so I think it was shipped to me that way. :-(

I'm wondering if this is bad for the long-term viability/storage of this wine. Any advice from the winery itself?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mbuffy wrote:I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but...

The bottle of Jana Cathedral is what pushed me over the edge to finally get a good wine cellar/refrigerator for long-term storage/aging (well, that and getting on the Bond Estates allocation list...), so I ordered a Vinotheque.

I was updating my Cellartracker inventory last night in preparation for loading up the Vinotheque, and picked up the Jana bottle which I had never really looked at too closely before. It appears that the wax cap on it partially melted and exposed part of the cork. There is no way this happened in my house, as there are no heat sources near my wine bar, and no other bottles of wine have shown anything like that. I'd be surprised if it happened during shipping given the time of year it is, so I think it was shipped to me that way. :-(

I'm wondering if this is bad for the long-term viability/storage of this wine. Any advice from the winery itself?

I'd contact the winery, but most importantly support@woot.com about your bottle.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

mbuffy wrote:I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but...

If it just the wax and there is no damage to the cork, there it is likely just a defect that happened when the wax was applied. The wax is only there for asthetic purposes, so unless the cork looks damaged or is coming out in any way, your wine will be fine for the next 20 years.

My CT