ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
mschauber wrote:When I finally make it to the west coast again, I have only 4 MUST visit items on my list: 1) Family in LA; 2) Family in Santa Cruz; 3) Clam chowder in bread bowl: San Francisco pier 39; 4) Scott Harvey's to meet Scott, Jana, Monica & Carla.

Look forward to your visit. Call us at 707 968-9575 to set up a time. We'll open a magnum of the 2007 Cathedral so you can see how you 3 liter is aging.
Cheers

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
pfajardo19 wrote:This is the 2nd or 3rd time they had the Bighorn up here? Anyone bite on one of those offers? Would love some insight into the wine. Haven't heard or seen Bighorn cab or chard in almost 10 years, been a while.

I second and third the recommendation on the Tom Eddy. I got a 1/2 case when it was offered last year on WTSO. Drank 2 alreadu, but they could use another year or two in the bottle. Tom makes good juice, more complex and restrained than the modern style, but very good nonetheless. That damn Jana Cathedral is so tempting too, but I couldn't use all that wine in anyone one sitting. Damn shame, good wine too!

One of the partners of Big Horn is my neighbor. We trade wine, so I can say the wines are well made. Little bigger in style than mine, but still with good acidity and balance.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Scott, I sent you a pm a little while back, if you get a second to check it. I figured you probably don't check them and should have emailed my question, but I really wasn't in a hurry for a response.

Thanks, and I can't wait to figure out how I am going to store my 3L bottle for the next 20 years.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

drewballa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewballa
ScottHarveyWines wrote:One of the partners of Big Horn is my neighbor. We trade wine, so I can say the wines are well made. Little bigger in style than mine, but still with good acidity and balance.

I got one of the 3L Bighorns a while back and opened it at a dinner party...was excellent. I've kept missing the follow ups on woot-offs, but I grabbed a set (fingers crossed for the GR).

Been trying to limit my purchases....which I am buying fewer bottles, they just happen to be plus-sized (including one signed by Mr. Harvey...)

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19
drewballa wrote:I got one of the 3L Bighorns a while back and opened it at a dinner party...was excellent. I've kept missing the follow ups on woot-offs, but I grabbed a set (fingers crossed for the GR).

Been trying to limit my purchases....which I am buying fewer bottles, they just happen to be plus-sized (including one signed by Mr. Harvey...)

Thanks! The last time I had a Bighorn was in 2002 and I remember both their chard and cab were pretty tasty. Now it looks like I'm screwed now for choices - Jana, Bighorn, Eddy! Damn you woot, damn you!!!

come2thedarkside

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19
ScottHarveyWines wrote:One of the partners of Big Horn is my neighbor. We trade wine, so I can say the wines are well made. Little bigger in style than mine, but still with good acidity and balance.

Thanks - some quality wines up for sale, the question is which one or which ones do I choose! Can take an eye out with those magnums!

come2thedarkside

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
North316 wrote:Last Wooter to Woot:
North316

You couldn't resist either ;)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber

greyday wrote:I'm seriously debating the Jana Cathedral, even considering that two of the three bottles of the 05 that I've had were just completely awful. But that first one was one of the best bottles of wine I ever had (still have one in the basement), good enough that at this price for a 3L, it's hard not to take the gamble...

EDIT: couldn't resist, in for one

I'm surprised you had 2 awful bottles of the '05. Possible there was an issue during the shipping? I have opened a half dozen of the '05 and 1 of the '06 and there is no doubt in my mind it's in the top 3 of all the wine I've had and I would be hard pressed not to put it at #1. If you bought those through woot, you should contact their customer service. And if you bought them from the winery, I would definitely give them a call.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber

ScottHarveyWines wrote:Look forward to your visit. Call us at 707 968-9575 to set up a time. We'll open a magnum of the 2007 Cathedral so you can see how you 3 liter is aging.
Cheers

I owe my family a visit, so I'm hoping to make it out there this winter. I'll definitely give you a call as soon as I know when.

I just ordered another 13 bottles from your Cyber Monday sale. I joked with Monica that your online store, Woot and my veterinarian combined account for 95% of my credit card charges for 2012... Damn you and your good wine ;)

--
My CT

shad295

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shad295
cmaldoon wrote:It was definitely the 07 and I was sold on a normal mag at $125 then. I recommend this to anyone who can swing it. The Tom eddy is damn good too.

If you had to choose between the Jana and the Tom Eddy, which one would you go for?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
mschauber wrote:I'm surprised you had 2 awful bottles of the '05. Possible there was an issue during the shipping? I have opened a half dozen of the '05 and 1 of the '06 and there is no doubt in my mind it's in the top 3 of all the wine I've had and I would be hard pressed not to put it at #1. If you bought those through woot, you should contact their customer service. And if you bought them from the winery, I would definitely give them a call.

I too was not a fan of the 05s I had. I purchased 4, consumed two. Both times I had it it was pretty flat, it seemed watered down. I traded away my other two bottles to people who liked it.

I had the 07 at Scott's place in napa and it was wildly different. Concentrated, beautiful finish. I loved it.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Scott: I just wanted to say THANKS for making this real limited production (double black tie) wine available to the wine woot crowd. Looks like there was very little of this to bottle and I'm glad I got my share of them! Jana Cathedral is one of my favorites. This will surely sell out...it's just a matter of when that happens.

It's certainly much more limited in production than the 30,000 bottles of the "limited production" Boneshaker offered before Halloween by woot. (Sorry, just a WD dig!)

Scott, you're in a different class!
Thanks sooooo much! Any more surprises for us before the holidays?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
shad295 wrote:If you had to choose between the Jana and the Tom Eddy, which one would you go for?

In equal size bottles at equal prices, probably the Tom eddy but for these offers the Jana is my preference. Not by much though. You ask difficult questions.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

North316

shad295 wrote:If you had to choose between the Jana and the Tom Eddy, which one would you go for?

Depends how thirsty you are.

My CT

bobrush12866

North316 wrote:Depends how thirsty you are.

Great answer!

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210

Allow me to pine for the good old woot days, like January 2012, when I could buy a two pack of Jana Cathedral for under $30 a bottle.

North316

scott0210 wrote:Allow me to pine for the good old woot days, like January 2012, when I could buy a two pack of Jana Cathedral for under $30 a bottle.

As much as I would love to agree with that, there are several factors involved this time: supply, demand, quality, vintage, etc... Yes, this wine comes out $43.75 per bottle shipped if it was a 750ml, whereas the 05' we were offered in January was $30 per bottle, shipped. Why is this $13.75 more expensive? There was much less of this produced/bottled than there was for the 2005. Scott's wines have become in more demand and are garnering slightly higher prices. He didn't even have enough of the 06 to offer to woot, therefore we should be happy we are getting this offer (I am also surprised he allotted this much to woot, looks like at least 30 bottles, if not 40, of the 97 bottled). And then the biggest part of the price jump is due to the quality of this wine. 07 was an awesome vintage almost everywhere in CA, but especially in Napa, and all of those grapes are in high demand.

I love that Scott offers the wines he does to us, and does so usually at very reasonable prices, especially considering he could get more elsewhere, and probably more here.

I'm pretty sure that we will never see that $30 per shipped on any Jana Cathedral again due to the demand they have created for it.

My CT

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
North316 wrote:As much as I would love to agree with that, there are several factors involved this time: supply, demand, quality, vintage, etc... Yes, this wine comes out $43.75 per bottle shipped if it was a 750ml, whereas the 05' we were offered in January was $30 per bottle, shipped. Why is this $13.75 more expensive? There was much less of this produced/bottled than there was for the 2005. Scott's wines have become in more demand and are garnering slightly higher prices. He didn't even have enough of the 06 to offer to woot, therefore we should be happy we are getting this offer (I am also surprised he allotted this much to woot, looks like at least 30 bottles, if not 40, of the 97 bottled). And then the biggest part of the price jump is due to the quality of this wine. 07 was an awesome vintage almost everywhere in CA, but especially in Napa, and all of those grapes are in high demand.

I love that Scott offers the wines he does to us, and does so usually at very reasonable prices, especially considering he could get more elsewhere, and probably more here.

I'm pretty sure that we will never see that $30 per shipped on any Jana Cathedral again due to the demand they have created for it.

I get it, I would still like to pine about it though.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
mschauber wrote:I owe my family a visit, so I'm hoping to make it out there this winter. I'll definitely give you a call as soon as I know when.

Since you're visiting family in Santa Cruz, why not go to the pier there to get some clam chowder in a sour dough bowl at Stagnaro's? Even better yet, plan your trip to be in Santa Cruz on Feb 23 for this:
http://www.beachboardwalk.com/clamchowder/

Don't let me steer you away from San Francisco, but Pier 39 is totally unnecessary. ;) I hope you have a fantastic trip.

I'm in for a 3l of Jana, btw. It's ear marked for my 4 year old's college graduation party. ;)

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

One question I've always had on the large format bottles:

What is the appropriate procedure to follow for opening one of these? A normal wine key is just too...small.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages deckerbrian
SmilingBoognish wrote:One question I've always had on the large format bottles:

What is the appropriate procedure to follow for opening one of these? A normal wine key is just too...small.

Most magnums have the same size neck and cork as 750's. I guess I haven't had any trouble with the larger 3L bottles but my waiter's style cork screw has a long lever. I can screw it in too far and not be able to put the notch on the bottle top.

North316

SmilingBoognish wrote:One question I've always had on the large format bottles:

Speaking of preparation... WD, you now need to sell me a 3L decanter. Good luck.

My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
SmilingBoognish wrote:Since you're visiting family in Santa Cruz, why not go to the pier there to get some clam chowder in a sour dough bowl at Stagnaro's? Even better yet, plan your trip to be in Santa Cruz on Feb 23 for this:
http://www.beachboardwalk.com/clamchowder/

Don't let me steer you away from San Francisco, but Pier 39 is totally unnecessary. ;) I hope you have a fantastic trip.

I'm in for a 3l of Jana, btw. It's ear marked for my 4 year old's college graduation party. ;)

If you are in Santa Cruz on Feb 23, you should be at the D&D weekend instead!

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:I love that Scott offers the wines he does to us, and does so usually at very reasonable prices, especially considering he could get more elsewhere, and probably more here.

QFT! I can think of another that has quite escalated in price.

Wonder what the chances are we could get Scott and Jana so spill some ink on these special buys...

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

North316 wrote:Speaking of preparation... WD, you now need to sell me a 3L decanter. Good luck.

let me look into that..

rjquillin

Winedavid39 wrote:let me look into that..

Yeah! Something like that contraption we saw in the catacombs at Hall.

CT

bobrush12866

rjquillin wrote:QFT! I can think of another that has quite escalated in price.

Wonder what the chances are we could get Scott and Jana so spill some ink on these special buys...

That would be freakin awesome!

mschauber

trifecta wrote:If you are in Santa Cruz on Feb 23, you should be at the D&D weekend instead!

@SmilingBoognish: I'll keep that in mind. SF does have a special place in my heart though. I haven't been there in 25 years and the chowder place isn't actually at the pier, it's about 5 minutes inland from the pier itself.

@trifecta: I'm going to assume you don't mean Dungeons and Dragons? So what is the D & D weekend?

--
My CT

North316

mschauber wrote:@SmilingBoognish: I'll keep that in mind. SF does have a special place in my heart though. I haven't been there in 25 years and the chowder place isn't actually at the pier, it's about 5 minutes inland from the pier itself.

@trifecta: I'm going to assume you don't mean Dungeons and Dragons? So what is the D & D weekend?

Dark & Delicious, a Petite Sirah event. There are several threads on it, but to be honest, I don't feel like linking them.

My CT

mschauber

rjquillin wrote:QFT! I can think of another that has quite escalated in price.

I have a feeling that this 3L sale was an administrative mistake somewhere along the line. By my count there have already been 28 sold at this low price. The wine club/cyber Monday price is $280 + s/h + tax. Apparently they had a better price for black Friday, but I'm not sure what it was, but I think it was about 50% off (+s/h & tax.) But, as was mentioned in an earlier post, the winery has refunded the difference. So this deal is costing them a fortune. Not only selling close to 1/3rd of their production of this size at 50% off during this WW.plus and refunding the difference for those who bought it on black Friday, but the opportunity cost for not selling this highly thought of vintage for full price or for a much smaller discount.

That's all to say I would suspect SH will be more reluctant to sell his premium stock to us on woot for the type of pricing we've grown to expect/appreciate.

If we're really nice, maybe Scott and Jana will give us first licks at the 2008 Cathedral (I'm assuming there will be a 2008 released at some point..)

Whether on WW or direct from SH, I will be one of the first to line up to buy '08 Cathedral and it's likely to be one of only a handful of wines I'll be buying in 2013 b/c I am so overstocked as it is...

--
My CT

mschauber

North316 wrote:Dark & Delicious, a Petite Sirah event. There are several threads on it, but to be honest, I don't feel like linking them.

Are you already feeling tired from lugging that 3L around for 20 years?

Thanks for letting me know what it is, I should have figured it out, I was sent a section of one of their local papers that covers all the wine events and local vineyards and it was mentioned in it. But in my defense, I've had a total of 17 hours of sleep over the past 7 days...

--
My CT

rjquillin

mschauber wrote:I have a feeling that this 3L sale was an administrative mistake somewhere along the line. By my count there have already been 28 sold at this low price. The wine club/cyber Monday price is $280 + s/h + tax. Apparently they had a better price for black Friday, but I'm not sure what it was, but I think it was about 50% off (+s/h & tax.)

Black Friday Special $175.00; from their email notice. $43.75/750ml for a 2007 cali cab.
I'm good with that.

CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Damn all you enablers... Looks like I must be the first New Mexican (is that what I call myself?) to grab Scotts 3L.

Hey Scott, wanna sign it for me pretty please!

We don't have wine lockers here, well we have one but there is a 2 yr wait and I will have moved by then. How am I going to store this? Maybe I will make tuck it away in the dark closet.

EDIT: I will wait 37 mins and buy it at midnight central time so I get free shipping for tomorrows stuff

EDIT 2 11:01MST:
Last Wooter to Woot:
bkarlan

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
mschauber wrote:I'm surprised you had 2 awful bottles of the '05. Possible there was an issue during the shipping? I have opened a half dozen of the '05 and 1 of the '06 and there is no doubt in my mind it's in the top 3 of all the wine I've had and I would be hard pressed not to put it at #1. If you bought those through woot, you should contact their customer service. And if you bought them from the winery, I would definitely give them a call.

Hmm. I did buy from woot! but it was almost a year and a half ago (last June), I doubt there's anything they would do (or really could, at this point).

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

SOLDOUT! Glad I bought at 11:01mst last night

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

North316

bkarlan wrote:SOLDOUT! Glad I bought at 11:01mst last night

I guess the magic number was 40.

My CT

mschauber

North316 wrote:I guess the magic number was 40.

I count 32. Think someone would give us an official #?

I miss the meaningful stats. I understand why they wouldn't want to give that much data to their competitors, but it was nice knowing how many were actually sold vs where on the % spectrum the sale was.

Anyway, no surprise this sold out. Just a little surprised there were so many available.

Scott, Jana, Monica, et al,
Thank you very much for making this available to us and at such a wonderful price. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm sure you'd make a lot of people really happy, myself included, if you can bring us a daily deal of the '08 Cathedral at you're special Woot pricing of old (or at any pricing,) when you release it.

Speaking of which, do you know if/when you'll be releasing the '08?

Thanks!
Marc

--
My CT

North316

mschauber wrote:I count 32. Think someone would give us an official #?

I miss the meaningful stats. I understand why they wouldn't want to give that much data to their competitors, but it was nice knowing how many were actually sold vs where on the % spectrum the sale was.

Anyway, no surprise this sold out. Just a little surprised there were so many available.

Scott, Jana, Monica, et al,
Thank you very much for making this available to us and at such a wonderful price. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm sure you'd make a lot of people really happy, myself included, if you can bring us a daily deal of the '08 Cathedral at you're special Woot pricing of old (or at any pricing,) when you release it.

Speaking of which, do you know if/when you'll be releasing the '08?

Thanks!
Marc

If one order was 3% (which it appears to be, that means there was 33 orders. 30 @ 1, 2 @ 2, and 1 @ 3 = 30+4+3 = 37 . Given this and potential rounding of percentages, it could be really be anywhere from 35 to 40, but I guess it really doesn't matter, as long I get mine hah.

My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Darn it!! I waited too long to make a decision. Kept checking to see if the button was pulsing, but I guess it doesn't do that for woot plus.

Argh... Maybe I can contact Scott/Monica directly...

mschauber

North316 wrote:If one order was 3% (which it appears to be, that means there was 33 orders. 30 @ 1, 2 @ 2, and 1 @ 3 = 30+4+3 = 37 . Given this and potential rounding of percentages, it could be really be anywhere from 35 to 40, but I guess it really doesn't matter, as long I get mine hah.

You're right it absolutely doesn't matter. Except, I'm so conscious of being sleep deprived and functioning/thinking poorly, that I wanted to see if my thought process was correct. So basically we did the same thing, except I was looking at it as 3% equals 1 bottle. That's how I got to 32. And whether I am right or wrong, my counting was based on the fact that the one 3 bottle deal was sold during the 21st hr (9p) and someone else had mentioned buying a single during that same time frame, so I assumed the 12% equaled 4 bottles.

But you know what happens when you assume.. And in this case the 'u' is my sleep deprived self and the 'me' is, well, me ;)

See now maybe you'll understand why the over-analytical, detail oriented, and data & fact driven person I am, wants to know the actual # so I have proof one way or another whether my methodology works.

And I swear, if I don't start getting some sleep I'm going to officially go out of my mind (unlike the past almost 4 decades of unofficially going out of my mind...)

--
My CT