WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Stocking Stuffers for BigFoot

Christmas. Let’s face it, considering the tastes of all your loved ones and then finding them the perfect gift is a huge pain. But everybody likes to get drunk. And with these stocking stuffers, everybody can pretend to be classy doing it. I mean, as classy as the sort of people who hang out with a drunk like YOU get, anyways.



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare

Stocking Stuffers for BigFoot

Castoro 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon Magnum 2-Pack
$52.99 (Normally $93.71) 43% off List Price
2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles Magnum 1.5L

Tom Eddy 2006 Reserve Cabernet Magnum
$99.99 (Normally $206.00) 51% off List Price
2006 Tom Eddy Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Magnum 1.5L

Bighorn Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Magnum Randomly Selected 2-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $167.00) 40% off List Price
1998 Cabernet Sauvignon Coombsville Vineyard Napa Valley 1.5L
1999 Cabernet Sauvignon Grand Reserve Napa Valley 1.5L
1999 Cabernet Sauvignon Coombsville Vineyard Napa Valley 1.5L

Jana Cathedral 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Double Magnum
$169.99 (Normally $376.90) 55% off List Price
2007 Jana Cathedral, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 3L

Sapphire Hill Russian River 2010 Pinot Noir Magnum
$59.99 (Normally $99.62) 40% off List Price
2010 Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley Magnum 1.5L

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I want the Jana double-mag but the wife won't let me. She says we don't know enough people to ever have need for a double-mag. I tried to explain to her that between now and the 20+ years this thing can age, I am sure we will find an occasion, but she is boss so I lose this argument. Maybe I can play the "I will donate it for a charity auction" angle?

Scott, any chance we will be seeing the 06 or 07 Cathedral on woot, in standard bottles?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

nealkb


quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
North316 wrote:I want the Jana double-mag but the wife won't let me. She says we don't know enough people to ever have need for a double-mag. I tried to explain to her that between now and the 20+ years this thing can age, I am sure we will find an occasion, but she is boss so I lose this argument. Maybe I can play the "I will donate it for a charity auction" angle?

Scott, any chance we will be seeing the 06 or 07 Cathedral on woot, in standard bottles?



From what I heard, they didn't make too many of the 07 cathedrals. I may be wrong, but I didn't see any on their website either.

Neal K Bharadwaj

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
nealkb wrote:From what I heard, they didn't make too many of the 07 cathedrals. I may be wrong, but I didn't see any on their website either.



I don't think the 07 has been publicly released yet, which is why it is not on the website. There may not be a "ton" of it, but there has to be a decent amount if they bottles 120 mags and 97 double mags.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

emmabean2000


quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000
North316 wrote:I don't think the 07 has been publicly released yet, which is why it is not on the website. There may not be a "ton" of it, but there has to be a decent amount if they bottles 120 mags and 97 double mags.



I was in for one through their Black Friday website, and it cost a bit more. Wish I would have waited a few more days ;).

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
emmabean2000 wrote:I was in for one through their Black Friday website, and it cost a bit more. Wish I would have waited a few more days ;).



Yup. It was a $175 there, NOT including shipping or taxes. Almost bit on those offerings as well, but I can't get anything shipping from him to Ohio for less than $40 in shipping/taxes.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

angryprez


quality posts: 0 Private Messages angryprez

I would be in for two or maybe even three of the Tom Eddys if you still shipped to Virginia.

Too much of a hassle to wootleg from MD or DC.

When are you going to work out that issue?

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
North316 wrote:I don't think the 07 has been publicly released yet, which is why it is not on the website. There may not be a "ton" of it, but there has to be a decent amount if they bottles 120 mags and 97 double mags.



Actually he sold most of his '07 wine in bulk ( and got a great price because of the quality). What he kept he bottled ONLY into large format bottles. This is the only way you'll be getting 07 cathedral and it is good stuff. I got a magnum for $125 on tour so this blows that away. A double mag for $160. Wow.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bobrush12866


quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
North316 wrote:I don't think the 07 has been publicly released yet, which is why it is not on the website. There may not be a "ton" of it, but there has to be a decent amount if they bottles 120 mags and 97 double mags.



Monica says no 750ml of the 2007 Jana Cathedral....only the mags and double mags....That's it!

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I have not had any of Scott Harvey's Cabs. I generally have loved most 2007 cabs from Napa but could anyone comment on his style as a winemaker?

I understand he makes BIG Zins that are much loved on Woot but have been unable to order in the past due to shipping issues...

Really, really want to buy this...

Is it broke or just fractured?

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rlmanzo wrote:I have not had any of Scott Harvey's Cabs. I generally have loved most 2007 cabs from Napa but could anyone comment on his style as a winemaker?

I understand he makes BIG Zins that are much loved on Woot but have been unable to order in the past due to shipping issues...

Really, really want to buy this...



I think the feature comment is pretty accurate "Well structured and chewy, with layered notes of violets and hints of mint. A classic, elegant, full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon from the Napa Valley."

This is definitely a more restrained wine then the big zin (InZinerator) which you are talking about. If I recall correctly, Scott calls this his 10-year wine. Drinking perfectly 10 years from vintage and able to age another 10 years from that point. With this being a double-magnum I wouldn't touch this bottle for another 10-15 years and it could sit just fine for 30-40 I would guess.....man I want this wine. Maybe I can convince my wife I need this for my 50th birthday in 2033?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I caved.....Now, how should I store this thing?

Won't fit in my wine racks and I would hate for the cork to dry out...

Is it broke or just fractured?

emmabean2000


quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000
rlmanzo wrote:I caved.....Now, how should I store this thing?

Won't fit in my wine racks and I would hate for the cork to dry out...



I have the perfect spot in my basement... ;)

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:Actually he sold most of his '07 wine in bulk ( and got a great price because of the quality). What he kept he bottled ONLY into large format bottles. This is the only way you'll be getting 07 cathedral and it is good stuff. I got a magnum for $125 on tour so this blows that away. A double mag for $160. Wow.



My guess is that you guys had this on the tour? I am hoping someone took notes, but being at the end of the day it makes it less likely.

I suppose the fact you bought it then meant it was pretty good. Man... want to buy this...

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
North316 wrote:I don't think the 07 has been publicly released yet, which is why it is not on the website. There may not be a "ton" of it, but there has to be a decent amount if they bottles 120 mags and 97 double mags.



The '07 was released in May of 2011. It was ONLY bottled into 1.5L and 3L. When I asked why no 750ml, I was told they had so much of the '05 to sell, they thought bottling it this was would be their advantage. Subsequently it has received very good ratings, so they don't offer it at a discount.. (Oops, they sort of do ;))

You can still buy the 1.5L and 3L on their website. The current wine club/cyber Monday pricing is $140 and $280 respectively.

That said, this is a steal and probably the only way I'm going to get my hands on the '07 for this price. I'm thinking I better find a girlfriend and get married in the next 10 years so I have an occasion to drink this. Or, at the age of 38, I can have that Bar Mitzvah I never wanted/had...

When it comes to Jana Cathedral, I am a sucker. I just bought an '03 and now see they are out of it. Kicking myself for only buying one. I better get some more '04 & '05 before that sells out...

Probably the most wasteful wine purchase ever, for me, but I'm in for one. I wonder what something like this might bring at a charity auction. Anyone have any idea? Maybe I should go in for 2.... argh......

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
North316 wrote:I want the Jana double-mag but the wife won't let me. She says we don't know enough people to ever have need for a double-mag. I tried to explain to her that between now and the 20+ years this thing can age, I am sure we will find an occasion, but she is boss so I lose this argument. Maybe I can play the "I will donate it for a charity auction" angle?

Scott, any chance we will be seeing the 06 or 07 Cathedral on woot, in standard bottles?



Hi, just found out we are on woot with the 2007 3 liter Cathedral. I'm answering from Hana on Maui. Last day of vacation before we fly home tomorrow. The 2007 was bottled only in 1.5 liter and 3 liter bottles. Did not have much wine and with the quality high decided to do it all in larger bottles. The 2006 is almost sold out, so do not have enough of it in regular size bottles left to do a woot offereing.
Cheers,
Scott

emmabean2000


quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Hi, just found out we are on woot with the 2007 3 liter Cathedral. I'm answering from Hana on Maui. Last day of vacation before we fly home tomorrow. The 2007 was bottled only in 1.5 liter and 3 liter bottles. Did not have much wine and with the quality high decided to do it all in larger bottles. The 2006 is almost sold out, so do not have enough of it in regular size bottles left to do a woot offereing.
Cheers,
Scott



Now that is dedication! Which is why I keep coming back for more and more...Enjoy your vacation!

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I see Dave couldn't resist, even though he too is on a SIWBM.

Scott, when you get back from HI, could you fill us in on what you think the drinking window is for this double mag? I think my best card to play is the 2033, 50th b-day card, or 25th anniversary in 2036.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:I see Dave couldn't resist, even though he too is on a SIWBM.



I wasn't going to say anything, didn't want you to think I was rubbing it in.

North316 wrote:Scott, when you get back from HI, could you fill us in on what you think the drinking window is for this double mag? I think my best card to play is the 2033, 50th b-day card, or 25th anniversary in 2036.



Since I turned 50 this year and also quit smoking the next day (6 months now!) I guess I have a legitimate excuse for buying this but I really need to reinstate the SIWBM ASAP.

I am also interested in seeing how long this can be stored and maybe some advice on how often and for how long one would lay this on it's side to keep the cork moist if they were going to display it upright the majority of the time.

Thanks Scott and Mahalo!

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
bobrush12866 wrote:Monica says no 750ml of the 2007 Jana Cathedral....only the mags and double mags....That's it!



You've got yours listed as 750ml on CT. Just sayin'

bobrush12866


quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
chipgreen wrote:You've got yours listed as 750ml on CT. Just sayin'



Fixed.... Thanks

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
bobrush12866 wrote:Fixed.... Thanks



YW. I'm anal about that kind of stuff but I'm sure mine's not perfect either. I have spotted mistakes in my listings that were months old a few times.

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Hi, just found out we are on woot with the 2007 3 liter Cathedral. I'm answering from Hana on Maui. Last day of vacation before we fly home tomorrow. The 2007 was bottled only in 1.5 liter and 3 liter bottles. Did not have much wine and with the quality high decided to do it all in larger bottles. The 2006 is almost sold out, so do not have enough of it in regular size bottles left to do a woot offereing.
Cheers,
Scott



It's so tempting to grab a 2007 3L and hide it away for a decade or so. We did have the 07 at the RPM tour dinner, didn't we, or was that the 08?

Also, aloha from Kauai Scott! I hope you are enjoying your vacation as much as I'm enjoying mine.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mochamix79


quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79
angryprez wrote:I would be in for two or maybe even three of the Tom Eddys if you still shipped to Virginia.

Too much of a hassle to wootleg from MD or DC.

When are you going to work out that issue?



Hey there! It's Monica (Scott and Jana's Wine Club manager). Give me a call at (209) 625-6654, and we'll figure something out for VA.

mochamix79


quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79
emmabean2000 wrote:I was in for one through their Black Friday website, and it cost a bit more. Wish I would have waited a few more days ;).



Did you get my message? I'm going to make it right!

mochamix79


quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79
rlmanzo wrote:I caved.....Now, how should I store this thing?

Won't fit in my wine racks and I would hate for the cork to dry out...



No worries, it comes in a very secure packing container perfect to store in a cool, dark place (think cool, dark closet). The only fridge I could think of that it might fit would be a meat locker...and that's probably too cold.

mochamix79


quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79
rlmanzo wrote:I have not had any of Scott Harvey's Cabs. I generally have loved most 2007 cabs from Napa but could anyone comment on his style as a winemaker?

I understand he makes BIG Zins that are much loved on Woot but have been unable to order in the past due to shipping issues...

Really, really want to buy this...



Where might we be shipping this? Give me a call and I'll see what we can do. PS - It's Monica (wine club manager) 209-625-6654

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
redwinefan wrote:It's so tempting to grab a 2007 3L and hide it away for a decade or so. We did have the 07 at the RPM tour dinner, didn't we, or was that the 08?

Also, aloha from Kauai Scott! I hope you are enjoying your vacation as much as I'm enjoying mine.



It was definitely the 07 and I was sold on a normal mag at $125 then. I recommend this to anyone who can swing it. The Tom eddy is damn good too.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
cmaldoon wrote:It was definitely the 07 and I was sold on a normal mag at $125 then. I recommend this to anyone who can swing it. The Tom eddy is damn good too.



Thanks, I am trying to figure out if I can squeeze it into my already stretched wine budget. Meanwhile, it looks like some smart person went in for 3. I doubt there can be that many left.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
mochamix79 wrote:No worries, it comes in a very secure packing container perfect to store in a cool, dark place (think cool, dark closet). The only fridge I could think of that it might fit would be a meat locker...and that's probably too cold.



Hey Monica,
Well I went in for 1. Probably the most stupid wine purchase I have ever made given I'm single and I don't think I even know enough people that I would care to break bread with to drink this whole thing. So maybe this will give me the stimulus I need to get back into the world of dating. Then again, I'm only 12 years away from my 50th birthday (damn I'm getting old fast...)

I can now get a good nights sleep knowing that I have at least one bottle from every Cathedral vintage ;)

Goodnight,
Marc

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

dalematthew


quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
mschauber wrote:The '07 was released in May of 2011. It was ONLY bottled into 1.5L and 3L. When I asked why no 750ml, I was told they had so much of the '05 to sell, they thought bottling it this was would be their advantage. Subsequently it has received very good ratings, so they don't offer it at a discount.. (Oops, they sort of do ;))

You can still buy the 1.5L and 3L on their website. The current wine club/cyber Monday pricing is $140 and $280 respectively.

That said, this is a steal and probably the only way I'm going to get my hands on the '07 for this price. I'm thinking I better find a girlfriend and get married in the next 10 years so I have an occasion to drink this. Or, at the age of 38, I can have that Bar Mitzvah I never wanted/had...

When it comes to Jana Cathedral, I am a sucker. I just bought an '03 and now see they are out of it. Kicking myself for only buying one. I better get some more '04 & '05 before that sells out...

Probably the most wasteful wine purchase ever, for me, but I'm in for one. I wonder what something like this might bring at a charity auction. Anyone have any idea? Maybe I should go in for 2.... argh......



I finally made it to the Sutter Creek tasting room - I snagged the last 3 of the '03s they had - hehe. Sorry about that.

Scott's whole team is great - had a great time there. Props to Monica too - superb customer service.

Oh - and in for one. Was kicking myself for missing the BF deal but all is now good in the world.

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
dalematthew wrote:I finally made it to the Sutter Creek tasting room - I snagged the last 3 of the '03s they had - hehe. Sorry about that.

Scott's whole team is great - had a great time there. Props to Monica too - superb customer service.

Oh - and in for one. Was kicking myself for missing the BF deal but all is now good in the world.



When I finally make it to the west coast again, I have only 4 MUST visit items on my list: 1) Family in LA; 2) Family in Santa Cruz; 3) Clam chowder in bread bowl: San Francisco pier 39; 4) Scott Harvey's to meet Scott, Jana, Monica & Carla.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

pfajardo19


quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19

This is the 2nd or 3rd time they had the Bighorn up here? Anyone bite on one of those offers? Would love some insight into the wine. Haven't heard or seen Bighorn cab or chard in almost 10 years, been a while.

I second and third the recommendation on the Tom Eddy. I got a 1/2 case when it was offered last year on WTSO. Drank 2 alreadu, but they could use another year or two in the bottle. Tom makes good juice, more complex and restrained than the modern style, but very good nonetheless. That damn Jana Cathedral is so tempting too, but I couldn't use all that wine in anyone one sitting. Damn shame, good wine too!

come2thedarkside

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

I'm seriously debating the Jana Cathedral, even considering that two of the three bottles of the 05 that I've had were just completely awful. But that first one was one of the best bottles of wine I ever had (still have one in the basement), good enough that at this price for a 3L, it's hard not to take the gamble...

EDIT: couldn't resist, in for one

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316



Last Wooter to Woot:
North316

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:My guess is that you guys had this on the tour? I am hoping someone took notes, but being at the end of the day it makes it less likely.

I suppose the fact you bought it then meant it was pretty good. Man... want to buy this...

Jeeze, just what I don't need with two of the mags already, but can't resist this Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin



CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Last Wooter to Woot:
North316



Congrats!

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
North316 wrote:I see Dave couldn't resist, even though he too is on a SIWBM.

Scott, when you get back from HI, could you fill us in on what you think the drinking window is for this double mag? I think my best card to play is the 2033, 50th b-day card, or 25th anniversary in 2036.



Being a three liter bottle, I think you will be okay with 2033 or 2036. The pH is low enough for the wine to age a long time. Should be a twenty five to thirty year wine.

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
redwinefan wrote:It's so tempting to grab a 2007 3L and hide it away for a decade or so. We did have the 07 at the RPM tour dinner, didn't we, or was that the 08?

Also, aloha from Kauai Scott! I hope you are enjoying your vacation as much as I'm enjoying mine.



Wasn't the 2008. it was the 2007 we had at the RPM tour.