polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Scotch tasting last night. Had 8 malts. They were:

Glen Scotia 12
Ben Riach 12, 16
Glen Dronach 12, 15, 18
Nikka Takesuru 12
Nikka Yoichi 15

Last two are Japanese, if you didn't guess.

Very nice, good education. And teh Ben Riach 16 and Glen Dronach 15 came home with me.

EDIT: SPARKY!!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

klezman


quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

That's the first time somebody has told me a Scotch tasting lineup and I've not heard of a single one! Sounds excellent!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
polarbear22 wrote:Damn. Looks like a good deal. Have never tried Twisted Oak, since they don't ship here. Is this worth wootlegging?



I'm thinking of going in. Let me know if you'd like to.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

kkv - please check PMs.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
klezman wrote:That's the first time somebody has told me a Scotch tasting lineup and I've not heard of a single one! Sounds excellent!


Ben Riach and Glen Dronach are owned by the same company. And with Nikka, all three are distributed by the same company out of San Francisco.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

My mom needs some shopping help, so I'm gonna start here with you guys...

My aunt recently dropped and broke her laptop, so she now wants a simple tablet type thing to replace it. So my mom is looking for a cheap tablet that she can get for around $100 or less. It really only needs to be used for her doing a little bit of internet stuff, accessing her facebook, and playing Words With Friends. And it just also needs enough capability for viewing any photos that might be shared with her (via facebook, email, etc) and maybe simple video.

Is there anything out there in that price range that would work for this? Preferably something in the 7"-10" size.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rjquillin


quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
polarbear22 wrote:Scotch tasting last night. Had 9 malts. They were:

Glen Scotia 12
Ben Riach 12, 16
Glen Dronach 12, 15, 18
Nikka Takesuru 12
Nikka Yoichi 15

Last two are Japanese, if you didn't guess.

Very nice, good education. And the Ben Riach 16 and Glen Dronach 15 came home with me.

EDIT: SPARKY!!

I've not had my coffee yet, but I only count eight. Something missing here?

CT

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
kylemittskus wrote:Yeah... this week sucks. And I can't buy anything, although I did buy the balsamic. SWMBO was pissed!



tell her it is a necessity!!!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
NonnaWY wrote:What a sucky day for our state. The attack at the community college was about 3 hrs north of us, but I know a lot of people who live in Casper.



how sad

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
klezman wrote:If you like El Jefe's wines, absolutely. I love the Mourvedre based wines and the Tempranillo and Spaniard. The Grenache isn't a slouch either.



there hasn't been a twisted wine that I haven't liked!!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
klezman wrote:And here I was trying to not spend more money until the new year. Then Cat comes with her Twisted News. Sigh.



I know... I HAD to buy the twisted!!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
North316 wrote:That's what I would like to know. In the past 8 days I have 12 woot orders (not all wine) totalling $621. Only one $17 order is a gift.



wow!! impressive!!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:That's the first time somebody has told me a Scotch tasting lineup and I've not heard of a single one! Sounds excellent!



I've seen both the Ben & Dronach around at K&L, Total Wine, Wine Exchange, & Hi-Time (also IIRC, several fine wine shoppes in LA).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
HitAnyKey42 wrote:My mom needs some shopping help, so I'm gonna start here with you guys...

My aunt recently dropped and broke her laptop, so she now wants a simple tablet type thing to replace it. So my mom is looking for a cheap tablet that she can get for around $100 or less. It really only needs to be used for her doing a little bit of internet stuff, accessing her facebook, and playing Words With Friends. And it just also needs enough capability for viewing any photos that might be shared with her (via facebook, email, etc) and maybe simple video.

Is there anything out there in that price range that would work for this? Preferably something in the 7"-10" size.







Highly doubt there are any tablets out there "under" $100. Except maybe a refurb here on Woot. Maybe.

Amazon has their Kindle Fire for $159, although the HD version is only $40 more ($199 sale). Depends if she wants to view movies on it.

For $299, they have the wide screen (8.9") Fire HD.


Edit: Prices above are with "Special Offers". Which on the Kindle means that you get ads for the screen saver. Which are okay, because once you turn it on, they are gone.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Itwdswafo wrote:I'm thinking of going in. Let me know if you'd like to.


Thanks for the offer and PM. If I go in, I will have it ship to my favorite enabler in NY.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rjquillin wrote:I've not had my coffee yet, but I only count eight. Something missing here?


You passed the math test. Just a typo. It was only 8.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:I've seen both the Ben & Dronach around at K&L, Total Wine, Wine Exchange, & Hi-Time (also IIRC, several fine wine shoppes in LA).


Distributed by Anchor Distilling in San Fran, so not surprised that you seem them there.

Oh, and we have a Total Wine opening in our state. But way down in Fairfield.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:Damn. Looks like a good deal. Have never tried Twisted Oak, since they don't ship here. Is this worth wootlegging?

Based on all of the wines we've had from TO, I'd say it's definitely worth it, as long as you have space and $. After all, you'll only have to wait until next month to pick it up.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:Scotch tasting last night. Had 8 malts. ...
Nikka Takesuru 12
Nikka Yoichi 15
Last two are Japanese, if you didn't guess....

Seems like Japanese Scotch is an oxymoron. Still, I wish I'd been there.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
MarkDaSpark wrote:



Highly doubt there are any tablets out there "under" $100. Except maybe a refurb here on Woot. Maybe.

Amazon has their Kindle Fire for $159, although the HD version is only $40 more ($199 sale). Depends if she wants to view movies on it.

For $299, they have the wide screen (8.9") Fire HD.


Edit: Prices above are with "Special Offers". Which on the Kindle means that you get ads for the screen saver. Which are okay, because once you turn it on, they are gone.



I think some of the google nexus were running around 129, we picked up a samsung galaxy tab 7'' for 179 in BJ during their blackfriday sales. I think google and samsung might be your best bet for cheaper tables, and I got to say I like the samsung tab in the little that I have used it to set it up for my mom, and you can even still set up adobe flash on there.

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
ddeuddeg wrote:Based on all of the wines we've had from TO, I'd say it's definitely worth it, as long as you have space and $. After all, you'll only have to wait until next month to pick it up.



Oh what the heck, I might as well go in for it later today. I assume it will get to Ithaca in the next 2 weeks? People who had their wine are you guys going in for mixed pack or all reds?

cortot20


quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
ddeuddeg wrote:Based on all of the wines we've had from TO, I'd say it's definitely worth it, as long as you have space and $. After all, you'll only have to wait until next month to pick it up.



Shipping is free, so no need to even pick it up.

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
tiger7610 wrote:Oh what the heck, I might as well go in for it later today. I assume it will get to Ithaca in the next 2 weeks? People who had their wine are you guys going in for mixed pack or all reds?



I went in for the mixed. I have too much wine but can get away with it if I put it under the tree to both my wife and I from Santa.

CT

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:Seems like Japanese Scotch is an oxymoron. Still, I wish I'd been there.


That was me. They call it Japanese Single Malts. So they are technically correct.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

pcuccaro


quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
cheron98 wrote:Just in case your wallets aren't already screaming...



I was in a really boring work meeting when I got the email from El Jefe and managed to order on my phone. Couldn't resist the opportunity! Although I have a lot of TO already and still have two bottles to pick up someday from you, Cat. Someday I'll make it to a wine.woot event. Sigh.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

klezman


quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
pcuccaro wrote:I was in a really boring work meeting when I got the email from El Jefe and managed to order on my phone. Couldn't resist the opportunity! Although I have a lot of TO already and still have two bottles to pick up someday from you, Cat. Someday I'll make it to a wine.woot event. Sigh.



Yup, I've still got 2 bottles of Parcel 17 futures awaiting eventual release/shipping/transferring to and then from Cat. If other years of futures come up, I'm in blind...P17 is my favourite.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
cortot20 wrote:Shipping is free, so no need to even pick it up.

Um, yeah. He'll need to pick it up from ddeuddeg. wootlegging.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Cesare


quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

 

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
klezman wrote:Yup, I've still got 2 bottles of Parcel 17 futures awaiting eventual release/shipping/transferring to and then from Cat. If other years of futures come up, I'm in blind...P17 is my favourite.



I sent Jeff an email yesterday asking about it. I thought they wuolda been shipped by now. It's set up so that the CA people have theirs being shipped to sanity. Y'know, incentive for the next Vegas gathering

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klezman


quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
cheron98 wrote:I sent Jeff an email yesterday asking about it. I thought they wuolda been shipped by now. It's set up so that the CA people have theirs being shipped to sanity. Y'know, incentive for the next Vegas gathering



Well then I'll just have to get it from sanity when the time comes :p I still would love further futures from 2010 or later...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Cesare wrote: 



Speechless?


Edit: (To find out, you need to click on the hidden easter egg.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Cesare wrote: Link in the middle 


Was he trying to say something?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar