mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
chemvictim wrote:I need to decide whether to get a pet sitter or board my cats while we're away next month. I think it would be less stressful for the cats if we got a sitter, but I'm concerned about giving a stranger free reign in my house. What to do?

Do you have any neighbors you could ask?

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mommadeb1 wrote:Do you have any neighbors you could ask?

Unfortunately not...my neighbors appear to be even more reclusive than I am! lol

Moving to a new state is never easy.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
chemvictim wrote:Unfortunately not...my neighbors appear to be even more reclusive than I am! lol

Moving to a new state is never easy.

Boarding my dog cost as much as my vacations do. My neighbor offers to come and feed him, however I have a feeling my 100lb GSD would get angry and would destroy my house if he were left here alone.

Back at my old house we had a friends daughter come house sit for use and take care of him. That was much easier.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chemvictim wrote:I need to decide whether to get a pet sitter or board my cats while we're away next month. I think it would be less stressful for the cats if we got a sitter, but I'm concerned about giving a stranger free reign in my house. What to do?

For cats, definitely let them stay at home with a sitter. They don't like change. They'll ignore the sitter most likely for a few days, of course.

I was always able to get single petless co-worker to stay at my place. Maybe that's an option.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Left my phone in a taxi last night. It's been fun watching the cab driver run errands all morning on my phone locater app.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

How long are you going to be gone? My cats have managed 10 days just fine all by themselves - just leave food and water, and a big clean litter box.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

chemvictim

coynedj wrote:How long are you going to be gone? My cats have managed 10 days just fine all by themselves - just leave food and water, and a big clean litter box.

I'm only going to be gone for about 5 days. Logically, I'm sure they'd be fine by themselves but I would worry. I'm leaning toward getting a sitter to come in once a day to give them fresh food, scoop the litter box, give them some pets if they want. Hopefully our vet can recommend someone trustworthy.

When you move to a city where you don't know anyone, and you work at home so you don't meet people that way, it's hard to get to know people.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
chemvictim wrote:I'm only going to be gone for about 5 days. Logically, I'm sure they'd be fine by themselves but I would worry. I'm leaning toward getting a sitter to come in once a day to give them fresh food, scoop the litter box, give them some pets if they want. Hopefully our vet can recommend someone trustworthy.

When you move to a city where you don't know anyone, and you work at home so you don't meet people that way, it's hard to get to know people.

Have you looked online for petsitter websites in your area. My friend sent me a link for my rabbit, www.care.com. They even have background checks and list by zip code availability. You can get sitters for anyone, pet or person. Luckily I have enough family in the area so I don't have a need for the service right now. This might be worthwhile for a stop in sitter.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

chemvictim

funbunny wrote:Have you looked online for petsitter websites in your area. My friend sent me a link for my rabbit, www.care.com. They even have background checks and list by zip code availability. You can get sitters for anyone, pet or person. Luckily I have enough family in the area so I don't have a need for the service right now. This might be worthwhile for a stop in sitter.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
chemvictim wrote:I'm only going to be gone for about 5 days. Logically, I'm sure they'd be fine by themselves but I would worry. I'm leaning toward getting a sitter to come in once a day to give them fresh food, scoop the litter box, give them some pets if they want. Hopefully our vet can recommend someone trustworthy.

5 days? If your cats are anything like the many cats I've had, they won't even notice you've been gone as long as they have food.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
chemvictim wrote:I'm only going to be gone for about 5 days.

Just spend $15-20 on some food/water dispensers that hold a bunch extra, and add a spare disposable litter box to the arsenal.

If you're really worried spend some of that money you saved on a pan/tilt camera that you can hit up from your a phone or web browser so you can verify aliveness.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mother wrote:Just spend $15-20 on some food/water dispensers that hold a bunch extra, and add a spare disposable litter box to the arsenal.

If you're really worried spend some of that money you saved on a pan/tilt camera that you can hit up from your a phone or web browser so you can verify aliveness.

Agreed. Setting them up to be self sufficient is probably better than the stress of a stranger in their home.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

chemvictim

mother wrote: a pan/tilt camera that you can hit up from your a phone or web browser so you can verify aliveness.

Ha! That's a great idea.

Cesare

quality posts: 1599 Private Messages Cesare

Balsamic tonight

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Powerball fail, now I have to go to work tomorrow.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Pampered Chef, anyone? Let me know, I have a show open

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
Cesare wrote:Balsamic tonight

that'll make some folks around here happy.

CT

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:Powerball fail, now I have to go to work tomorrow.

me too

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:Pampered Chef, anyone? Let me know, I have a show open

will check it out

Itwdswafo

I just bought balsamic and I have no idea why. Clearly I've been away from woot too long.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Itwdswafo wrote:I just bought balsamic and I have no idea why. Clearly I've been away from woot too long.

This is supposed to be the crack balsamic. The one that's super good on ice cream. (go figure)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:This is supposed to be the crack balsamic. The one that's super good on ice cream. (go figure)

You've never bought it, Sparky?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Itwdswafo

Went to go all in instead of just the one. I've never seen something limited to 2 per person before. Woah.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:You've never bought it, Sparky?!

Maybe. With 855 Woots, it's hard to remember all of them. I may have it, but haven't opened it (or gave it away as an Xmas gift).

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Itwdswafo wrote:Went to go all in instead of just the one. I've never seen something limited to 2 per person before. Woah.

One of the only times I use the second account. Love this stuff. Have an unopened bottle from last year, but still bought two.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
mommadeb1 wrote:me too

Same here, owell...

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Maybe. With 855 Woots, it's hard to remember all of them. I may have it, but haven't opened it (or gave it away as an Xmas gift).

You know that Concannon Petite Sirah Chocolate Sauce we got on the way back from the rpm tour?
This is right up there with that.

CT

North316

mother wrote:Same here, owell...

I had 96 tries (between an office pool and personal purchases. I even set up a spreadsheet for very easy determination on whether any were winners. Out of all 96, not even a 3-ball match. 96 tickets won a total of $4.

My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:I had 96 tries (between an office pool and personal purchases. I even set up a spreadsheet for very easy determination on whether any were winners. Out of all 96, not even a 3-ball match. 96 tickets won a total of $4.

one of our directors and some friends got drunk each pitched a hundred bucks and bought tickets. They ended up with 2500 bucks total. I doubt there is a spreadsheet. They didn't win the jackpot but who knows what else they may have won.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:I had 96 tries (between an office pool and personal purchases. I even set up a spreadsheet for very easy determination on whether any were winners. Out of all 96, not even a 3-ball match. 96 tickets won a total of $4.

Ahhh, for once it's good to be in CA. Can't buy tickets here, can only buy wine, and balsamic..

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:You know that Concannon Petite Sirah Chocolate Sauce we got on the way back from the rpm tour?

Bite your tongue!!!!

cheron98

WD: Please check your PMs.

Any of his cohorts: Please tell WD to check his PMs.

North316

cheron98 wrote:WD: Please check your PMs.

Any of his cohorts: Please tell WD to check his PMs.

No, you can't get a case of balsamic for your wedding.

Question answered.

My CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:No, you can't get a case of balsamic for your wedding.

Question answered.

I lol'd.

I'm just hanging out, really.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

From the woot email:

This holiday season, the tradition of Wine.Woot Gift Week continues, but this year it's just too big to fit into only daily deals. Starting Friday, November 30, Wine.Woot will feature a weeklong Woot Plus event overflowing with specially curated gourmet and wine-related items for those who live la vita bella.
"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cheron98

North316 wrote:No, you can't get a case of balsamic for your wedding.

Question answered.

Nice. But no, not what I asked. But I should have!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:You know that Concannon Petite Sirah Chocolate Sauce we got on the way back from the rpm tour?

That stuff is ridiculous. Their PS port is awesome too. Good thing I have many bottles of both!

cheron98

Just in case your wallets aren't already screaming...

eljefetwisted wrote:Dear Twisted Few/Twisted Freak member,

We have too many old dusty bottles in our wine library!
(it's not that dusty in there, but this sounds more romantic)

We figure it's about time to get this wine out of our dusty dungeon and into your glasses, just in time for the holidays.
(after all, well aged wine pairs tastes with Grandma's well aged figgy pudding)

To solve our dusty problem, we're doing a "Mystery Bag o' Wine": six bottles of our choice, at a great price!
(the wine will actually come in a box, but why quibble?)

You can order a mix of red and white, or you can get a red-only bag. And for shipping orders, we'll pay for the shipping!
(no really, shipping is on us. don't worry about it.)

Your Mystery Bag will contain six random bottles from 2007 or earlier, chosen by us. We can't promise, but there's a chance you might find a Torcido, Pig Stai, or maybe even a Spaniard!
(you never know - mystery is like that)

To put mystery in your life, just visit twistedoak.com/bags!
(yes, it really is that easy peasy!)

Thank you very much for being a Twisted Few or Twisted Freak member!
- El Jefe

PS: Mystery bags ordered now for pickup at the winery will be available starting December 7th.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
trifecta wrote:That stuff is ridiculous. Their PS port is awesome too. Good thing I have many bottles of both!

So how can I get PS Chocolate Sauce. On-line or just on-site? Time to google.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:So how can I get PS Chocolate Sauce. On-line or just on-site? Time to google.

On-line.

Every time I've been there, they don't have a lot. And Cat seems to want most of what I can get.

Also, 50% off all thru Dec. 16th.