MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 25th.

December
12/8: SoCal #23: Housewarming at Chez Klez(man) (West LA/Culver City)
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:PoSt away folks!!!

Your signature is out of date.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
ThunderThighs wrote:Your signature is out of date.

You're brutal!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ThunderThighs

Staff

bahwm wrote:You're brutal!

I didn't change it this time!

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Question to all the gaming people... my son wants wireless headset for his PC games and for an xbox 360 (which he doesn't know he is getting... got to love craigslist). so what do you recommend? I don't want to spend a small fortune...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mommadeb1 wrote:Question to all the gaming people... my son wants wireless headset for his PC games and for an xbox 360 (which he doesn't know he is getting... got to love craigslist). so what do you recommend? I don't want to spend a small fortune...

Does it have to be wireless? To be honest, you can't find a very decent wireless headset for under $100. Woot recently had some refurbished ones for around $70-80, but who knows if those will come back up in time for x-mas.

If he can tolerate a wired one, I recently just bought a Turtle Beach x12 on woot for $37. They are normally about $65-70 I believe, but if you keep an eye out, you should be able to find a good deal between now and christmas. It isn't the BEST sound, but it is very good for the price. I've had good luck with Turtle Beach in general, as long as you aren't too rough the headsets. I actually bought the headset for my PS3, but it is a X360 headset and can be used on a PC as well (may need a USB soundcard on the PC to enable voice chat, not sure, but that is $2 on amazon).

The wire on these things is literally 15-20 ft long, but if he insists on a wireless version, I would still look at Turtle Beach, just know it will cost you at least twice as much.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:I didn't change it this time!

Which is why it's out of date!!! Slacker!

Besides, doesn't everyone have turkey leftovers?

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Does it have to be wireless? To be honest, you can't find a very decent wireless headset for under $100. Woot recently had some refurbished ones for around $70-80, but who knows if those will come back up in time for x-mas.

If he can tolerate a wired one, I recently just bought a Turtle Beach x12 on woot for $37. They are normally about $65-70 I believe, but if you keep an eye out, you should be able to find a good deal between now and christmas. It isn't the BEST sound, but it is very good for the price. I've had good luck with Turtle Beach in general, as long as you aren't too rough the headsets. I actually bought the headset for my PS3, but it is a X360 headset and can be used on a PC as well (may need a USB soundcard on the PC to enable voice chat, not sure, but that is $2 on amazon).

The wire on these things is literally 15-20 ft long, but if he insists on a wireless version, I would still look at Turtle Beach, just know it will cost you at least twice as much.

Woot still has them on the Woot Plus side. 3 wireless (all Ear Force) units from $80/$120/$125. Plenty wired ones too.

I'm just not sold on refurbs, especially for headsets (do I really want something covering my ears that someone else used?).

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Mewalk707 & jwhite6114!!

Happy Birthday to Mewalk707 & jwhite6114!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Onerous Massive Family Gathering...the reply all thing at work got started up again today, people replying 'unsubscribe.' the latest one says "I can honestly say I've never seen so many gourds in one place. And now I'm one of them."

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:Woot still has them on the Woot Plus side. 3 wireless (all Ear Force) units from $80/$120/$125. Plenty wired ones too.

I'm just not sold on refurbs, especially for headsets (do I really want something covering my ears that someone else used?).

Didn't realize they relisted them this week. There actually appears to be one for $40 on there as well, though I'm guess it isn't quite the same sound quality. From my experience, the only issue I see with the $80 and higher sets is the build on them. An older PS3 version I had had the same exact design flaw in that there is only a small piece of plastic holding the entire ear cup to the frame of the headset. After 6-8 months or so of fairly heavy use, the entire snapped clear off. I was hesitant to buy another Turtle Beach set after that, until I noticed these on woot before and the X12 is built slightly differently and looks like a stronger connection (the $40 wireless looks the same as the X12). This is why I said it should last if you take good care of it (I was very careful with mine and it still broke).

As for the refurbs, I don't have an issue with them. They replace the ear-cushion so my ear isn't touching what someone elses was.

My CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Which is why it's out of date!!! Slacker!

Besides, doesn't everyone have turkey leftovers?

Gee, it's like I'd been looking some up or something.

FORUM MODERATOR

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Gee, it's like I'd been looking some up or something.

Well, you were the one who pointed out it was out of date!!!

Now if only you'd been fixing my "magical" delivery address switch problem ...

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:Didn't realize they relisted them this week. There actually appears to be one for $40 on there as well, though I'm guess it isn't quite the same sound quality. From my experience, the only issue I see with the $80 and higher sets is the build on them. An older PS3 version I had had the same exact design flaw in that there is only a small piece of plastic holding the entire ear cup to the frame of the headset. After 6-8 months or so of fairly heavy use, the entire snapped clear off. I was hesitant to buy another Turtle Beach set after that, until I noticed these on woot before and the X12 is built slightly differently and looks like a stronger connection (the $40 wireless looks the same as the X12). This is why I said it should last if you take good care of it (I was very careful with mine and it still broke).

As for the refurbs, I don't have an issue with them. They replace the ear-cushion so my ear isn't touching what someone elses was.

thanks.. they do need to be somewhat sturdy... teen age boy... for some reason he has it in his mind he wants wireless..

North316

mommadeb1 wrote:thanks.. they do need to be somewhat sturdy... teen age boy... for some reason he has it in his mind he wants wireless..

For the price ($40), it might be worth taking a shot on these X31's .

Wireless, without the build defect I was talking about. Should be pretty good sound and can be used on both the 360 and PC. You also may want to buy some AAA Batteries to go with them though; another reason why wireless sucks.

My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mommadeb1 wrote:thanks.. they do need to be somewhat sturdy... teen age boy... for some reason he has it in his mind he wants wireless..

Your teenage boy has a mind? That, right there, is cause for rejoicing. By now you know how responsible he is with stuff, and can factor that into the decision.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:Your teenage boy has a mind? That, right there, is cause for rejoicing. By now you know how responsible he is with stuff, and can factor that into the decision.

You almost used "teenage boy" and "responsible" in the same sentence. Almost.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Mine was fixed on wireless and got wireless, and then realized what you give up to get wireless. Now he uses a wired set.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

mommadeb1

ddeuddeg wrote:Your teenage boy has a mind? That, right there, is cause for rejoicing. By now you know how responsible he is with stuff, and can factor that into the decision.

what is this "responsible" word you refer to? h ha ha ha

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:For the price ($40), it might be worth taking a shot on these X31's .

Wireless, without the build defect I was talking about. Should be pretty good sound and can be used on both the 360 and PC. You also may want to buy some AAA Batteries to go with them though; another reason why wireless sucks.

thanks... maybe I can tell him my wino buddies say no to wireless..

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:thanks... maybe I can tell him my wino buddies say no to wireless..

Inconceivable!!!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Finally! A place to live! Been "homeless" (couch surfing) for the last month in NYC and I finally get to move into my place this week. Which means I finally get to start ordering wine again! Woot! Can't tell you how terribly exciting this is to finally know where I'm sleeping/drinking at the end if the day.

jenludwig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenludwig

I feel like at one point someone had put together a google maps of the various wineries we've seen on wine.woot. It was probably a long time ago, and maybe I'm crazy and there never was such a thing;-) Soes anyone else remember this and maybe have a link? I have a friend planning a trip to Napa/Sonoma, and thought that might be a good reference for him.

North316

jenludwig wrote:I feel like at one point someone had put together a google maps of the various wineries we've seen on wine.woot. It was probably a long time ago, and maybe I'm crazy and there never was such a thing;-) Soes anyone else remember this and maybe have a link? I have a friend planning a trip to Napa/Sonoma, and thought that might be a good reference for him.

Google is your friend:

http://www.rpmwinetour.com/map_of_woot_wineries.htm

I think it is pretty out-dated though.

My CT

jenludwig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenludwig
North316 wrote:Google is your friend:

Thank you!
Outdated is better than nothing

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
jenludwig wrote:Thank you!
Outdated is better than nothing

For the most recent newbie tour I made a set of maps. (Note, not all of these are "Woot Wineries")

RPM 2012 Newbie Tour Day 1:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
203593648029940340425.0004c5447f068f4126c2a

RPM 2012 Newbie Tour Day 2:
203593648029940340425.0004c544ea9e1c8874c43

RPM 2012 Newbie Tour Day 3
203593648029940340425.0004c5450f9dcff7768e0

edit: had to take links OUT of url because they would just take you to google maps homepage. You'll have to cut and paste these.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

jenludwig wrote:I feel like at one point someone had put together a google maps of the various wineries we've seen on wine.woot. It was probably a long time ago, and maybe I'm crazy and there never was such a thing;-) Soes anyone else remember this and maybe have a link? I have a friend planning a trip to Napa/Sonoma, and thought that might be a good reference for him.

There's also several threads:

Wine.wooter friendly wineries in Sonoma/Napa? -- created in 2008

Napa/Sonoma/Somewhere else in wine country honeymoon? -- 2009

There may be more, but I haven't bookmarked those yet.

Also, for a one stop RPM Tours thread ... One-Stop RPM Magical History Tours Compendium -- has links to each RPM Tour thread. Created this year.

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

I found this map to be very helpful when I made my pilgrimage in the fall of 2010 and 2011. Yes there are some newer favorite wineries that are not on the map but maybe woopeedo can open it up to public editing and let the community start adding places?

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:I found this map to be very helpful when I made my pilgrimage in the fall of 2010 and 2011. Yes there are some newer favorite wineries that are not on the map but maybe woopeedo can open it up to public editing and let the community start adding places?

I believe the original is from Joatmon, and the RPM Tour site only links to it.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

I think if it were up-to-date, it would be so packed that you'd have a tough time reading it, at least the Cali portion.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

I was in palm desert CA home of brandini, so we stopped in and got our pick of some good stuff. Their store front is what appears to be an old Marie calendars which made me laugh a little. We also stopped at the Costco out here and found that the wine selection was about 100x better than my local Costco. Damn old people hoarding all the good wine.

CT

North316

cortot20 wrote:I was in palm desert CA home of brandini, so we stopped in and got our pick of some good stuff. Their store front is what appears to be an old Marie calendars which made me laugh a little. We also stopped at the Costco out here and found that the wine selection was about 100x better than my local Costco. Damn old people hoarding all the good wine.

Did you get your free milkshake?

My CT

cortot20

North316 wrote:Did you get your free milkshake?

They gave us a free bag of toppers and I do like ice cream so I'm pretty stoked on that.

CT

mommadeb1

Itwdswafo wrote:Finally! A place to live! Been "homeless" (couch surfing) for the last month in NYC and I finally get to move into my place this week. Which means I finally get to start ordering wine again! Woot! Can't tell you how terribly exciting this is to finally know where I'm sleeping/drinking at the end if the day.

Yea!!!!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mommadeb1 wrote:Yea!!!!

Hurray!

I'm just hanging out, really.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

It is soooo hard to work when I know that I only have 13 days left after tonight...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim

I need to decide whether to get a pet sitter or board my cats while we're away next month. I think it would be less stressful for the cats if we got a sitter, but I'm concerned about giving a stranger free reign in my house. What to do?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:I need to decide whether to get a pet sitter or board my cats while we're away next month. I think it would be less stressful for the cats if we got a sitter, but I'm concerned about giving a stranger free reign in my house. What to do?

Give free range to a not stranger? I'm available.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim

kylemittskus wrote:Give free range to a not stranger? I'm available.

Ha! If you were in Reno I'd have already begged you.