WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Black Tie Buys: A Toast to the Season

After a long, hard night of cramming his jolly tush down chimneys, don't you think Santa deserves something nice? In other words, milk and cookies just ain't gonna cut it. So unless you want a big stocking full of coal and reindeer droppings next year, might I suggest one of these superb vintages?

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1599 Private Messages Cesare

Black Tie Buys

Broc Cellars Napa Valley Syrah 2-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $167.00) 40% off List Price
2007 Philary Vineyard, Napa Valley Syrah
2008 Philary Vineyard, Napa Valley Syrah
Previous offer: 7/20/12 (Plus)

Stewart Cellars Napa Valley 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$89.99 (Normally $146.30) 38% off List Price
2009 Stewart Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Ty Caton 2010 TyTanium 2-Pack
$95.99 (Normally $176.72) 46% off List Price
2010 Ty Caton TyTanium

Tudor Wines Library Pinot Noir 2-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $129.20) 54% off List Price
2006 Tudor Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
2006 Tudor Wines Pinot Noir, Santa Lucia Highlands

Nicolaysen Family Vineyards Late Harvest Pinot Blanc Mini-Vertical 375ml 2-Pack
$49.99 (Normally $113.50) 56% off List Price
2002 Nicolaysen Family Vineyards Late Harvest Pinot Blanc, Bien Nacido Vineyard 375ml
2003 Nicolaysen Family Vineyards Late Harvest Pinot Blanc, Bien Nacido Vineyard 375ml
Previous offer: 6/24/12

Tetra Napa Valley 2008 Red Wine 2-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $167.00) 40% off List Price
2008 Tetra Napa Valley Red Blend
Previous offer: 11/16/11

Peter Wellington 2007 Victory Reserve 2-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $145.25) 48% off List Price
2007 Wellington Victory Reserve
Previous offer: 10/19/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive

well since I was good during the wootoff I just picked up some of the 2010 Tytanium. Looks like its $5 cheaper then the last offering of the 2009.

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Huh? I recalled paying $35 a bottle on the 09' tytanium.

CT

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I bought 3 of the 2010 for $105 from another website a few weeks ago...

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
emmabean2000 wrote:Not to be a stick in the mud, but I bought 3 of the 2010 for $105 from another website a few weeks ago...

I agree. This pricing is quite outrageous. I also got the wtso deal for 35/bottle.

Neal K Bharadwaj

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I feel the pricing on the victories is a steal. Peter, what would you recommend as the drinking window on these? I know I want a pair
For my 04,05,06 vertical, but I'm tempted to double dip for more.

Neal K Bharadwaj

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

Already have Peter's from the last offer?

Think I'll wait for the links to be up - but have all of these been offered previously?

If not, would love a 2 liner on each from WD or someone - given most people won't be around.

(Edit: most interested in the cab and pinot)

No time to research - off to the in-laws!

Happy Thanksgiving all!!

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
nealkb wrote:I feel the pricing on the victories is a steal. Peter, what would you recommend as the drinking window on these? I know I want a pair
For my 04,05,06 vertical, but I'm tempted to double dip for more.

This is very enjoyable already, but will develop more complexity and nuance over the next five to ten years.

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr

Sorry to push the issue, but seriously, any response to the fact that this same wine was $35/bottle with free shipping on 3 bottles this month on a daily special? Was that just a tremendous value that can't be repeated on woot? Is it woot or the vineyard? I'm fairly new here; I hope I'm not violating any rules here, just sayin'...

Edit: And yes, please note that I'm frustrated I missed that deal. I have wanted to try your Tytanium since reading the coments here. It is pricier than wines I normally purchase, so to know a deal like that can be had on one site but not here...well, I hope you understand...

cortot20

montegobayjr wrote:Sorry to push the issue, but seriously, any response to the fact that this same wine was $35/bottle with free shipping on 3 bottles this month on a daily special? Was that just a tremendous value that can't be repeated on woot? Is it woot or the vineyard? I'm fairly new here; I hope I'm not violating any rules here, just sayin'...

Edit: And yes, please note that I'm frustrated I missed that deal. I have wanted to try your Tytanium since reading the coments here. It is pricier than wines I normally purchase, so to know a deal like that can be had on one site but not here...well, I hope you understand...

The frustration is fine. And this is a great place to vent it. Ty enjoyed some early success and his prices have increased substantially over the past five years. This is why you see his wines appear so frequently on the flash sale sites since he appears to have trouble moving product at his current price levels.
I bought the 09' in July of 2011 here for $35 a bottle and I am not surprised to see the price go up since that has been the trend for caton wines.

At the same price pont I would go for the Wellington victory.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

After just popping a bottle of the Wellington 2006 Morhardt Ridge Cab last night with a ribeye, it reminded how much I love Peter's wines and how much I regretted not getting some of the 07 Victory when it was offered. I will definitely not make that mistake twice. I may have to jump in on some more of Nicolaysen based on comments I have seen on that. I have been avoiding drinking the two bottles I have because that is all I have of it, and this is a great price.

I agree with the comments on the Tytanium. I almost purchased on the other site at $35, which I think is "reasonable" if not still a little high.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mattneumeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattneumeyer

Any specific reason the '07 Victory two-pack is $15 more than the '06 Victory two-pack?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mattneumeyer wrote:Any specific reason the '07 Victory two-pack is $15 more than the '06 Victory two-pack?

Per Peter in the previous offering thread:

"spk1321 wrote:Yes please. Gotta figure out if I can afford this, but thoroughly enjoyed the 2005 and still sitting on two bottles of the 2006. Any particular reason this one is $10 more per bottle than the last offering?

Peter: It's a combination of increased costs and my perception of the wine's quality.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

Yes outrage! How DARE a winery set the discount they want to offer to woot! The nerve of some people, thinking they have any say in the pricing of their products; don't they know that right lies only in the hands of some random dude on the internet?

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
greyday wrote:Yes outrage! How DARE a winery set the discount they want to offer to woot! The nerve of some people, thinking they have any say in the pricing of their products; don't they know that right lies only in the hands of some random dude on the internet?

In addition to the vineyards raising their prices, woot changed its policies and profit sharing with regard to vineyards (since the company did their big make over including destroying their website design) forcing higher prices and/or lower profits for the vineyards. Like any 'red' blooded company, Amazon's bottom line is far more important than any fairness or social responsibility.

There are those that will jump down my throat for voicing my opinion again, (and by the way the policy/profit sharing changes are opinion, but fact,) but one has to only look at the inactivity of the forums to see many of the wine.woot long time customers that had been very actively participating, doing unofficial rattages, and sharing insights, have either moved on or simply don't have the desire to participate anymore.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

No argument here, just saying there's worlds of difference between analyzing changes and whining about actual pricing. And it's most common on side deals (which aren't meant to be as good as main woot deals anyway) or from a vineyard that has increased prices (which has less to do with woot than with two market factors: the economy improving means less budget pricing to draw in new customers, and then there are the vineyards who benefitted from using woot, built a customer base, and now don't need to offer wine at cost or loss pricing...).

But really. Amazon bought woot two and a half years ago. None of this is new in any way; the "new" site isn't even really new anymore. And yet every day people complain endlessly about the pricing, how the markup is determined, how it's a crime that a winery ups its prices since the last time they bought it, etc. It's just kinda silly is all. If one doesn't like the product/price, shop elsewhere. It's pretty simple.

Edit to add: and apologies for also derailing the conversation; I can definitely say I enjoyed all three Wellingtons from the vertical last month though haven't had the reserve, and of course Tytanium is Tytanium, it's usually pretty solid (though for me personally I don't think it's worth the price).

cortot20

mschauber wrote:In addition to the vineyards raising their prices, woot changed its policies and profit sharing with regard to vineyards (since the company did their big make over including destroying their website design) forcing higher prices and/or lower profits for the vineyards. Like any 'red' blooded company, Amazon's bottom line is far more important than any fairness or social responsibility.

There are those that will jump down my throat for voicing my opinion again, (and by the way the policy/profit sharing changes are opinion, but fact,) but one has to only look at the inactivity of the forums to see many of the wine.woot long time customers that had been very actively participating, doing unofficial rattages, and sharing insights, have either moved on or simply don't have the desire to participate anymore.

I will simply say that as a long time wine.wooter I do not agree with anything you have written and feel you cannot cope with changes.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:I will simply say that as a long time wine.wooter I do not agree with anything you have written and feel you cannot cope with changes.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dantudor@tudorwines.com

quality posts: 44 Private Messages dantudor@tudorwines.com

Good morning Wine.Wooters!,

Dan Tudor, Winemaker@Tudor Wines, here. Hope you all had a terrific Thanksgiving!

Let me know if you have any questions about the library two pack. The wines are drinking incredibly.

Cheers!
Dan

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
mschauber wrote:In addition to the vineyards raising their prices, woot changed its policies and profit sharing with regard to vineyards (since the company did their big make over including destroying their website design) forcing higher prices and/or lower profits for the vineyards. Like any 'red' blooded company, Amazon's bottom line is far more important than any fairness or social responsibility.

Damn capitalists stealing from the little guys! Occupy Amazon!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
dantudor@tudorwines.com wrote:Good morning Wine.Wooters!,

Dan Tudor, Winemaker@Tudor Wines, here. Hope you all had a terrific Thanksgiving!

Let me know if you have any questions about the library two pack. The wines are drinking incredibly.

Cheers!
Dan

Hi Dan, how much longer is the drinking window on these wines? Thanks!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:Huh? I recalled paying $35 a bottle on the 09' tytanium.

I got some here on 9/27/12 for $50/bottle so he's right that the 2010 is actually cheaper than the '09 when it was last offered.

I'll pretend that I don't know about others getting 3 for $105 on WTSO and just look forward to drinking the 2 that I have in a few years.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

We had a bottle of the Nicolaysen Family Vineyards 2003 Late Harvest Pinot Blanc, and it was EXCELLENT!

Honey color, viscous in the glass. Notes of apricot and candied apple on the nose, followed by a full-bodied honey, sweet white raisin and more apricot on the palate. Not cloying in its sweetness. Had quite a mouth coating and long finish.

It was definitely one of the favorites of the night! Would definitely recommend this. If you're on the fence about it, buy it, you will not be disappointed!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

dantudor@tudorwines.com

quality posts: 44 Private Messages dantudor@tudorwines.com
bolligra wrote:Hi Dan, how much longer is the drinking window on these wines? Thanks!

Thanks for the question. It depends how much fruit you want in the wine when you drink it, but I would say the next two years is perfect.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:We had a bottle of the Nicolaysen Family Vineyards 2003 Late Harvest Pinot Blanc, and it was EXCELLENT!

Honey color, viscous in the glass. Notes of apricot and candied apple on the nose, followed by a full-bodied honey, sweet white raisin and more apricot on the palate. Not cloying in its sweetness. Had quite a mouth coating and long finish.

It was definitely one of the favorites of the night! Would definitely recommend this. If you're on the fence about it, buy it, you will not be disappointed!

I agree with this assessment - it was superb. Even better than the dessert wine I brought to the gathering, I must admit. I think I'll have to buy some!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

coynedj wrote:I agree with this assessment - it was superb. Even better than the dessert wine I brought to the gathering, I must admit. I think I'll have to buy some!

Yup. Had the '02 Thanksgiving eve and the '03 Friday night. Both are exquisite. Nectar.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...