quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare

Arizona Stronghold Dala Chardonnay 5-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $129.25) 42% off List Price
2010 Dala Chardonnay

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

AaronMcKee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AaronMcKee

Arizona wines are up and coming. Stronghold has some great wines, and for those who care, is co-owned by Maynard James Keenan (From TOOL/Perfect Circle/Puscifer), who also heads up Caduceus/Merkin Vineyards. Keep your eye on Arizona, and let the wines speak for themselves.

[quote="Mr. Blobby"]The text Mr. Blobby wrote would go here[/quote]

omnitravis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages omnitravis
AaronMcKee wrote:Arizona wines are up and coming. Stronghold has some great wines, and for those who care, is co-owned by Maynard James Keenan (From TOOL/Perfect Circle/Puscifer), who also heads up Caduceus/Merkin Vineyards. Keep your eye on Arizona, and let the wines speak for themselves.

I am new to wines,forgive my ignorance. Can someone please tell me how much longer I could safely age it?
IDK why I replied to your post, my bad, just meant to comment.

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr

18.95 on Amazon through NapaCabs.

"Let's Pour" has this to say, and sold 218 bottles at $26.50/bottle...

"About the Wine
In a Nutshell:
Big, lush, full-bodied white with a produce stand full of fruit and a genuinely creamy texture. Crisp, bold, and bone dry.

Tasting Notes
Forward, intense flavors of apple turnover, almonds, creme fraiche, sage, candied lemon peel, star fruit, kiwi, and lychis, adorned by a crisp, clean acidity that gives this brightness and a huge affinity for food.

The Winemakers
Maynard Keenan (Founder and Vigneron): A devoted champion of the organic food movement and sustainability policies, Ohio native Keenan is the owner of Merkin Vineyards and its associated winery, Caduceus Cellars. On the side, he's the lead singer for Tool, Puscifer and A Perfect Circle. His other business ventures include Merkin Vineyards and Orchards.

Eric Glomski (Founder and Vigneron): Moved by the revelation that wine is "liquid landscape," Glomski took leave of his landscape ecology business in Central Arizona after teaching himself to make wine from heirloom apples, pears, peaches and quince from abandoned homesteads that he came across during his field journeys. In the mid 90s, he continued his wine education by moving to California and working at David Bruce, rising from cellar worker to Co-Winemaker and Director of Production over a six-year span. In 2003, he returned to Arizona and worked as a winemaker at Echo Canyon Vineyards & Winery before founding his own label, Page Springs Cellars, and Arizona Stronghold Vineyards.

Pair This Wine With
Sole with a Lemon Beurre Blanc, Bacon-Wrapped Scallops on the Barbecue, Chicken with Reduced Cream and Morels, Bay Scallops in Smoked Tomato Coulis, Brie en Croute, Crab-Stuffed Avocado, Polenta with Mascarpone and Wild Mushrooms, Yukon Gold Potato Tartare"

montegobayjr

At the winery's website:

DALA CHARDONNARY
2010 Bronze Medal, Sunset Magazine International Wine Competition
2010 Gold medal, Tasters Guild International Wine Competition
2010 Blue Ribbon, Arizona State Fair
2010 Bronze Medal, Dallas Morning News/TexSom Wine Competition

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Soooooo interested but I can't buy a thing.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

montegobayjr

ACCKK!! I did it again, did my research before looking to see if Connecticut was on the list...you guessed it...NOT!

Anyway, here is a link to an interesting review of the tasting room and some of the wines (including this Chardonnay); makes me wish I was in Arizona!

http://www.wineabit.net/2011/09/arizona-stronghold-vineyards-part-2.html

benyust2

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benyust2

It is really awesome to see Maynard's wine on woot. I'd be all over this if they shipped to Maryland (even though it would be my first white purchase). Anyone know a way to get this is Maryland? Their website lists a distributor in VA but that is about all I can find.

bobalooza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobalooza

I visited their tasting room in Cottonwood just about a month ago. It was a very good experience - I would recommend it to anyone passing through the area. Knowledgeable and very friendly staff. Professional and casual all at the same time. I know I tasted this wine, but that was with about 15 other wines in an hour and a half so don't look at me for any tasting notes. I did buy 5 bottles that day but this wasn't one of them.

regentswift

quality posts: 3 Private Messages regentswift

While I've not had this wine, I'm a HUGE fan of Arizona Stronghold wines. Everything I've had of theirs has impressed me.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

We gonna get a winemaker today? I'm curious about the challenges and advantages of raising grapes in Arizona (which my knowledge of is limited and I essentially assume is a vast arid wasteland with a few sprawling cities that make planners weep)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

hageninc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hageninc

Have not heard of AZ Stronghold but have visited the Caduceus tasting roon in Jerome, AZ and really enjoyed their wines. Bought a case to ship back to MN. Will probably try this one ...

timstronghold

quality posts: 7 Private Messages timstronghold
montegobayjr wrote:18.95 on Amazon through NapaCabs.

"Lets Pour" has this to say, and sold 218 bottles at $26.50/bottle...

"About the Wine
In a Nutshell:
Big, lush, full-bodied white with a produce stand full of fruit and a genuinely creamy texture. Crisp, bold, and bone dry.

Tasting Notes
Forward, intense flavors of apple turnover, almonds, creme fraiche, sage, candied lemon peel, star fruit, kiwi, and lychis, adorned by a crisp, clean acidity that gives this brightness and a huge affinity for food.

The Winemakers
Maynard Keenan (Founder and Vigneron): A devoted champion of the organic food movement and sustainability policies, Ohio native Keenan is the owner of Merkin Vineyards and its associated winery, Caduceus Cellars. On the side, he's the lead singer for Tool, Puscifer and A Perfect Circle. His other business ventures include Merkin Vineyards and Orchards.

Eric Glomski (Founder and Vigneron): Moved by the revelation that wine is "liquid landscape," Glomski took leave of his landscape ecology business in Central Arizona after teaching himself to make wine from heirloom apples, pears, peaches and quince from abandoned homesteads that he came across during his field journeys. In the mid 90s, he continued his wine education by moving to California and working at David Bruce, rising from cellar worker to Co-Winemaker and Director of Production over a six-year span. In 2003, he returned to Arizona and worked as a winemaker at Echo Canyon Vineyards & Winery before founding his own label, Page Springs Cellars, and Arizona Stronghold Vineyards.

Pair This Wine With
Sole with a Lemon Beurre Blanc, Bacon-Wrapped Scallops on the Barbecue, Chicken with Reduced Cream and Morels, Bay Scallops in Smoked Tomato Coulis, Brie en Croute, Crab-Stuffed Avocado, Polenta with Mascarpone and Wild Mushrooms, Yukon Gold Potato Tartare"

You have the winemakers part slightly wrong. Neither of these people actually make Arizona Stronghold wines.

regentswift

quality posts: 3 Private Messages regentswift
timstronghold wrote:You have the winemakers part slightly wrong. Neither of these people actually make Arizona Stronghold wines.

Tim, as I recall, you're the winemaker. What can you tell us about this wine?

timstronghold

bhodilee wrote:We gonna get a winemaker today? I'm curious about the challenges and advantages of raising grapes in Arizona (which my knowledge of is limited and I essentially assume is a vast arid wasteland with a few sprawling cities that make planners weep)

Hello my name is Tim White the winemaker for Arizona Stronghold.

Some of the challenges we deal with come in the form of late spring frosts, monsoon rains, bitterly cold winters, extreme winds.... typical of high elevation desert. Both of our vineyards are at about 4,300'.

Some of the advantages are we have up to 50 degrees of temperature swing form day to night time temperatures pretty key for growing quality wine grapes. We have 300+ days of sunshine a year. We are very similar to the Uco Valley in Argentina or the Northern Plateau of Spain. These are a few good examples of our challenges and advantages of growing grapes in Arizona.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
timstronghold wrote:You have the winemakers part slightly wrong. Neither of these people actually make Arizona Stronghold wines.

Hi Tim! We're glad you could stop by before the holiday to help everyone get that shopping in and clarify things.

I'm just hanging out, really.

timstronghold

regentswift wrote:Tim, as I recall, you're the winemaker. What can you tell us about this wine?

You are correct.... I make the wines at Arizona Stronghold.

We grow Chardonnay at both of our high elevation vineyards in southern Arizona. From our Arizona Stronghold Vineyard our Chardonnay tends to be very pure with good natural acids almost Burgundian. The Chardonnay grown at our Bonita Springs Vineyard tend to be broader with a full mouthfeel and lots of tropical fruits.

We take a very minimal approach to making all of our wines.Depending on the block and vineyard we barrel ferment and sur lies age many of our Chard lots but we also ferment and age in stainless at very low temperatures to retain fruit and acid. Our Dala Chardonnays are always a combination of both vineyards and different winemaking techniques.

This 2010 is drinking awesome right now!

timstronghold

inkycatz wrote:Hi Tim! We're glad you could stop by before the holiday to help everyone get that shopping in and clarify things.

Very glad to be here and help in any way i can.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Welcome Tim! Always good to see Arizona Stronghold on Woot... I enjoyed your Dayden Rosé during the summer months.

Any food pairing suggestion for this Chard?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

benyust2

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benyust2
timstronghold wrote:Hello my name is Tim White the winemaker for Arizona Stronghold.

Sorry if this is too much of a "fanboy" question but in what capacity is Maynard involved in the production of this wine?
And, are there any plans to ship to Maryland in the future?

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge
timstronghold wrote:You are correct.... I make the wines at Arizona Stronghold.

The Wife is always sensitive to oakiness (she detests it), which is one reason finding a Chard that she likes is a challenge. Can you speak to the oak here?

timstronghold

benyust2 wrote:Sorry if this is too much of a "fanboy" question but in what capacity is Maynard involved in the production of this wine?
And, are there any plans to ship to Maryland in the future?

Maynard is a majority owner of ASV. He is very busy with his own Caduceus and Merkin Vineyards as creator and winemaker for those projects. Maynard and I work together on some of the creative direction and project development of ASV and will continue to work together in this capacity as we move forward. He often gets time to stop by or jump into blending sessions when we are trying to decide what direction a particular wine is going to go. He and I get together on a fairly regular basis to taste wines from all over to get inspired or get ideas or just get uhh... imbibed. To answer your question Maynard is a very important part of many different aspects of Arizona Stronghold and we would not be what we are without him!

timstronghold

HeartbreakRidge wrote:The Wife is always sensitive to oakiness (she detests it), which is one reason finding a Chard that she likes is a challenge. Can you speak to the oak here?

None of our Chardonnay sees new oak. We barrel ferment and sur lies age in 100% neutral oak.... meaning no actual flavors are imparted into the wine. We only do this for oxygen exchange and texture.

timstronghold

neilfindswine wrote:Welcome Tim! Always good to see Arizona Stronghold on Woot... I enjoyed your Dayden Rosé during the summer months.

Any food pairing suggestion for this Chard?

Food pairings.... I think i'm gonna have to go with what montegobayjr posted earlier only because it made me very hungry!

reneewineabit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reneewineabit

Hi,
This is a really easy to drink chardonnay that pairs well with a number of foods, as it is not overly oaked. It has won numberous awards in the last year from very respectable places. To learn more about Tim White the winemaker please check out my blog link below. Cheers!
http://www.wineabit.net/2011/08/arizona-stronghold-part-1-inside.html

timstronghold

reneewineabit wrote:Hi,
This is a really easy to drink chardonnay that pairs well with a number of foods, as it is not overly oaked. It has won numberous awards in the last year from very respectable places. To learn more about Tim White the winemaker please check out my blog link below. Cheers!
http://www.wineabit.net/2011/08/arizona-stronghold-part-1-inside.html

Hey Renee!

reneewineabit

timstronghold wrote:Hey Renee!

Hi Tim!
It was great to see you last weekend! Your wins are going crazy getting awards everywhere, nice job

reneewineabit

montegobayjr wrote:ACCKK!! I did it again, did my research before looking to see if Connecticut was on the list...you guessed it...NOT!

Anyway, here is a link to an interesting review of the tasting room and some of the wines (including this Chardonnay); makes me wish I was in Arizona!

http://www.wineabit.net/2011/09/arizona-stronghold-vineyards-part-2.html

Thank you for adding a link to my blog! It is a great tasting room and yes, I am very lucky to live in AZ. Cheers!

montegobayjr

I have no idea about the accuracy of the info, that is why I said at the very outset: ""Let's Pour" has this to say,"...

timstronghold

montegobayjr wrote:I have no idea about the accuracy of the info, that is why I said at the very outset: ""Let's Pour" has this to say,"...

I completely understand. Just pointing out that it was inaccurate.

timstronghold

reneewineabit wrote:Hi Tim!
It was great to see you last weekend! Your wins are going crazy getting awards everywhere, nice job

Thanks Renee. Sorry I didn't take time to talk with you. It was a bit of a crazy weekend.

reneewineabit

timstronghold wrote:Thanks Renee. Sorry I didn't take time to talk with you. It was a bit of a crazy weekend.

Yeah, I understand, I am not one of those pushy people either, so I figured we could catch up some other time, when it was quieter

timstronghold

reneewineabit wrote:Yeah, I understand, I am not one of those pushy people either, so I figured we could catch up some other time, when it was quieter

Agreed.

mowens3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mowens3

the thumbnail looks like a glass pipe haha

blindandcynical

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blindandcynical

Has anyone got any shipping info for these yet? This is my first purchase from wine.woot Generally how long does it take to receive your wine?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
blindandcynical wrote:Has anyone got any shipping info for these yet? This is my first purchase from wine.woot Generally how long does it take to receive your wine?

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

I'm just hanging out, really.