Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1650 Private Messages Cesare

Mani Foods Imported Pitted Greek Olive Mix
$22.99 (Normally $31.00) 26% off List Price

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bimulous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bimulous

Got these olives. They're not good quality, but they are edible and in vast quantity!

bustersnurse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bustersnurse

Bought these last time. They're salty, but really nice. If we didn't have half a metric ton left, I'd be in for more.

slicey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slicey
bustersnurse wrote:Bought these last time. They're salty, but really nice. If we didn't have half a metric ton left, I'd be in for more.

What's the use by date on these? Pre-open vs after they've been opened.

WillowDrake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WillowDrake
slicey wrote:What's the use by date on these? Pre-open vs after they've been opened.

They last nearly forever if you don't open it... After they've been opened (and properly kept), they can get almost too soft to enjoy after ~3-4 months.

I get these every time I see them come up on Woot. I love them, my family loves them, and they make great Christmas gifts!

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

I dunno. I always feel a tad pissed off every time this goes up on wine.woot. I live in a Greek 'hood where even smaller markets have a vast selection of olives, sorted out (not all jumbled up like here) for something like 99c-$1.99/lb depending on variety. Also, the fresh proper ones do NOT have a forever shelf life once purchased, and there are notable differences in varieties.

As such, I see this as a Bastardization of Ideal Oliveness.

bustersnurse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bustersnurse

I just dug mine out of the fridge and can't find a date printed on them at all. There's enough salt in them that I suspect they'd last forever.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Just today, I scooped out the few remaining olives to consolidate space on my counter. Great timing woot!

We do low carb diets here so we go through them pretty quick since we bring them for lunch. These are really delicious and we prefer these to the ones with pits.

nvgeologist

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nvgeologist
bustersnurse wrote:I just dug mine out of the fridge and can't find a date printed on them at all. There's enough salt in them that I suspect they'd last forever.

I love these things. Just used them and some of the brine in the jar to top a kale salad with my elk steak and Guinness dinner last night. Often have a bowl of them with tomato, onion, and Cabot sharp white cheddar for lunch.

I just leave the jar on the kitchen counter, the strainer/weight works to keep the olive submerged in the brine.

Delicious!

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr

Well, I bought some last time for two reasons.
1 - my husband really likes olives
2 - someone suggested using the barrel (once olives are finished) to store your woot monkeys

He loves the olives and is making good progress on the barrel. My woot monkeys watch every serving he has in anticipation of their new home...every once in a while I hear murmurs of decorating ideas. I think they may be stealing olives in an attempt to get in there faster, or maybe that is my kitten who thinks the olives are a new toy (hard to say).

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin

I've found that rinsing them under warm water makes a huge difference.

Not only do they taste better at room temperature, you can adjust the salt level based on how much you rinse them.

But, combine these with the Vella cheese from earlier, salami and a nice Cab... delicious.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
mkdr wrote:Well, I bought some last time for two reasons.
1 - my husband really likes olives
2 - someone suggested using the barrel (once olives are finished) to store your woot monkeys

He loves the olives and is making good progress on the barrel. My woot monkeys watch every serving he has in anticipation of their new home...every once in a while I hear murmurs of decorating ideas. I think they may be stealing olives in an attempt to get in there faster, or maybe that is my kitten who thinks the olives are a new toy (hard to say).

That was probably either me or whoever gave me the idea for a barrel of monkeys.

Seeing this pop up reminded me, I haven't opened mine up yet. But hey, I can open them for Thanksgiving!

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong

Where are the ones WITH pits? Those were terrific. These are merely good.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

In for the olives and now just waiting on a deal on the Blitzen. Anyone know if that will be coming around any time soon?

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I prefer the "unpitted" variety. I think the olives with pits hold up to the brine bath better.

mzwoot99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mzwoot99

Local supermarket sells high quality olives on their food bar for ~$7 per pound. Shrug.

trippinmyrlinn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trippinmyrlinn

10 days and it hasnt shipped yet?!? whats going on with that?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

trippinmyrlinn wrote:10 days and it hasnt shipped yet?!? whats going on with that?

sorry for the wait. stuff from wine.woot can take a little longer (our FAQ says up to three weeks). also don't forget about the holiday last week.

anyhoo, if you're concerned about the status of your order, shoot an email over to support@woot.com next week.
apologies again for the wait, and have a magnificent friday.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.