MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!! PetiteSirah must be stunned by the Woot-Off.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 19th.

November
11/23: MN#?: Black Friday Retreat

December
12/8: SoCal #23: Housewarming at Chez Klez(man) (West LA/Culver City)
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend


No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.


So join or create a WW Gathering!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

From last week's Pub:

Cesare wrote:A surprise woot-off!
Let me know if you are looking for anything specific. Feel free to pm me a # I can send a txt to.



Duracell Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack (or similar Cell Phone/USB rechargers like the Kodak USB Power Pack)

Santana Supernatural Cap

Non-Refurb Gaming Headset


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk


quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!

(ba-dum bum)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!

(ba-dum bum)



WineDavid ... Do not implore him for compassion. WineDavid ... do not beg him for forgiveness. WineDavid ... do not ask him for mercy.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Evidently, Woot has something special planned for Nov. 22 for us.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk


quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:WineDavid ... Do not implore him for compassion. WineDavid ... do not beg him for forgiveness. WineDavid ... do not ask him for mercy.



There must be a joke about the auto-de-pay in there somewhere...

joelsisk


quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:From last week's Pub:



Duracell Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack (or similar Cell Phone/USB rechargers like the Kodak USB Power Pack)

Santana Supernatural Cap

Non-Refurb Gaming Headset



unless the woot servers start changing items, won't be much of a wootoff! The kids woot has been sold out for over 15 mins... the original.woot for almost as long.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:There must be a joke about the auto-de-pay in there somewhere...



You mean as in ...

"The year was 2012, The "Troubles" ravaged the Woot community, it was the hour of the infamous "Auto-de-Pay", where for public amusement, Wineaux and non-believers (SIWBM) were tortured by favorite wines like Corison, Scott Harvey, & Wellington in a carnival-like atmosphere. And it was guided by the most fearful specter to ever sit in judgement over red, white, and sparkling wines, the Grand Inquisitor, WineTorquemadaDavid."


No one expects the Inquisition!!


Edit: Dang it! Now that song is stuck in my head!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:unless the woot servers start changing items, won't be much of a wootoff! The kids woot has been sold out for over 15 mins... the original.woot for almost as long.



The gerbils were tired, and had to be replaced.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:The gerbils were tired, and had to be replaced.



Actually, Richard Gere had paid Woot HQ a visit earlier in the day.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

It's not related to that, but I recently learned of the SINGLE GREATEST PIECE OF NEWS IN THE HISTORY OF WINE.WOOT.

It's not public. And, no, I won't tell you. In fact, I'm not even going to give you any hints. But I'm sure that all of you will find out before long.

(Yes, it really is THAT good.)

I wasn't stunned from the wootoff, just utterly exhausted from a hunting trip.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
PetiteSirah wrote:It's not related to that, but I recently learned of the SINGLE GREATEST PIECE OF NEWS IN THE HISTORY OF WINE.WOOT.

It's not public. And, no, I won't tell you. In fact, I'm not even going to give you any hints. But I'm sure that all of you will find out before long.

(Yes, it really is THAT good.)

I wasn't stunned from the wootoff, just utterly exhausted from a hunting trip.




Did things die, and will my wallet die when this good news strikes?

Who am I kidding, I've had a DNR on my wallet for years

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith


quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

For the camera gurus out there, I'd like to dip into the DLSR game. Do you think the Rebel T4i on woot is a good camera that one could grow into? I would like to stick with Canon, as I've had great luck with their cameras in the past.

Thanks!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:For the camera gurus out there, I'd like to dip into the DLSR game. Do you think the Rebel T4i on woot is a good camera that one could grow into? I would like to stick with Canon, as I've had great luck with their cameras in the past.

Thanks!



I am not a camera Guru, but I did read that Nikon owns the point and shoot game and Canon owns the DSLR game. Now, I don't know if that's really true, but I read it (after I bought my Canon point and shoot of course)

links: (the first one compares this exact camera to the Nikon Equivalent, the Nikon is WAY cheaper on Amazon $546 bucks, didn't look at what it comes with though, could have less/no lenses)(dumb bowtie initially looked at the wrong Nikon equivalent)

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/canon-vs-nikon.html
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm
http://photofocus.com/2010/10/26/canon-v-nikon-dlsrs-does-it-really-matter/

Basically, you can't go wrong I guess with either brand (Nikon's flash seems to be better)

Edit: looks like they come with equivalent lenses and if you buy the Nikon at Amazon you can get money off additional lenses. So conceivably, though I didn't look, you can buy the Nikon AND an additional lense for the price of the Canon.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith


quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:I am not a camera Guru, but I did read that Nikon owns the point and shoot game and Canon owns the DSLR game. Now, I don't know if that's really true, but I read it (after I bought my Canon point and shoot of course)

links: (the first one compares this exact camera to the Nikon Equivalent, the Nikon is WAY cheaper on Amazon $546 bucks, didn't look at what it comes with though, could have less/no lenses)(dumb bowtie initially looked at the wrong Nikon equivalent)

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/canon-vs-nikon.html
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm
http://photofocus.com/2010/10/26/canon-v-nikon-dlsrs-does-it-really-matter/

Basically, you can't go wrong I guess with either brand (Nikon's flash seems to be better)

Edit: looks like they come with equivalent lenses and if you buy the Nikon at Amazon you can get money off additional lenses. So conceivably, though I didn't look, you can buy the Nikon AND an additional lense for the price of the Canon.



Thanks for the info and the links. Not sure why I'm such a Canon diehard. I'll see if I can talk SWMBO into the T4i with the better lens than the 18-55 that's on there now.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim


quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:Get the SakeOne stuff. Excellent, excellent starter stuff (and just all around excellent regardless). It's easy to find (generally), is inexpensive and will teach you all you need to know about quality Sake. If you have a HuHot restaurant around you can get a flight of all their Momokawa line for like 6 bucks.



So maybe I didn't mess up too badly after all. This is the sake I tried.

It was a random purchase, needed for a sauce we were making. It wasn't bad. I think my husband liked it more than I did.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
PetiteSirah wrote:It's not related to that, but I recently learned of the SINGLE GREATEST PIECE OF NEWS IN THE HISTORY OF WINE.WOOT.

It's not public. And, no, I won't tell you. In fact, I'm not even going to give you any hints. But I'm sure that all of you will find out before long.

(Yes, it really is THAT good.)

I wasn't stunned from the wootoff, just utterly exhausted from a hunting trip.



Hunting Wabbits?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:So maybe I didn't mess up too badly after all. This is the sake I tried.

It was a random purchase, needed for a sauce we were making. It wasn't bad. I think my husband liked it more than I did.



Yeah, that's a good one. Drink it well chilled and you will be rewarded.

In other news, I'm seriously contemplating quitting facebook. You can't say what you want there because of employment type BS (not that I'm worried about it, but my wife is) so I figure the best way for me not to say things, is to just not have the opportunity.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
otolith wrote:Thanks for the info and the links. Not sure why I'm such a Canon diehard. I'll see if I can talk SWMBO into the T4i with the better lens than the 18-55 that's on there now.



If the flexible LCD is available, try it out. It's really handy for when you can't quite use the viewfinder for your shot.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:From last week's Pub:



Duracell Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack (or similar Cell Phone/USB rechargers like the Kodak USB Power Pack)

Santana Supernatural Cap

Non-Refurb Gaming Headset



Darn it! Forgot about the Decorative Gun Lighter with Wood Stand!

Although I doubt I would have heard the text 6 hours ago.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
MarkDaSpark wrote:If the flexible LCD is available, try it out. It's really handy for when you can't quite use the viewfinder for your shot.



I have a Canon DSLR w/ the flexible screen. It's cool.

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

1. Woot seems sluggish today.
2. my $5 shipping pops up on everything I order, even though I've already placed an order.

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
PetiteSirah wrote:It's not related to that, but I recently learned of the SINGLE GREATEST PIECE OF NEWS IN THE HISTORY OF WINE.WOOT.

It's not public. And, no, I won't tell you. In fact, I'm not even going to give you any hints. But I'm sure that all of you will find out before long.

(Yes, it really is THAT good.)

I wasn't stunned from the wootoff, just utterly exhausted from a hunting trip.



Well, good stuff. I hope it's THAT good.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:Thanks for the info and the links. Not sure why I'm such a Canon diehard. I'll see if I can talk SWMBO into the T4i with the better lens than the 18-55 that's on there now.


I prefer Canon DSLR. I had the original digital Rebel, and now the 7D. I bought the 18-135IS lens with the new camera. I rarely have to swap for a different lens, so I like the versatility. Much better than the 18-55. Do you have some old lenses from prior Canon cameras?

Daughter has the old camera with 18-55 and 28-135IS lens. (The last was a lens from the 35mm.) And I still have a 75-300IS lens from the 35mm. Been very happy. Probably should have upgraded the camera before the trip to Kenya, rather than after. But the original, 6mp camera did great.

We have also used Canon point and shoot digitals. And happy with how those have worked out.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
bhodilee wrote:Yeah, that's a good one. Drink it well chilled and you will be rewarded.

In other news, I'm seriously contemplating quitting facebook. You can't say what you want there because of employment type BS (not that I'm worried about it, but my wife is) so I figure the best way for me not to say things, is to just not have the opportunity.



Just make a fake account and rant there, we'll follow you

CT

chemvictim


quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
tenuki wrote:Just make a fake account and rant there, we'll follow you



That is a fine plan.

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
polarbear22 wrote:I prefer Canon DSLR. I had the original digital Rebel, and now the 7D. I bought the 18-135IS lens with the new camera. I rarely have to swap for a different lens, so I like the versatility. Much better than the 18-55. Do you have some old lenses from prior Canon cameras?

Daughter has the old camera with 18-55 and 28-135IS lens. (The last was a lens from the 35mm.) And I still have a 75-300IS lens from the 35mm. Been very happy. Probably should have upgraded the camera before the trip to Kenya, rather than after. But the original, 6mp camera did great.

We have also used Canon point and shoot digitals. And happy with how those have worked out.



I prefer Canon too. I tried to use Nikon's before I purchased my Canon. Great camera, great lens choices. Great for all scenarios. If you're a photo nut, then think about the higher cameras than the rebels, but I reviewed the T4i, and it is one heck of a camera. If you need a faster shutter (1/8000 second, instead of 1/4000), or larger main battery, or more images/second, or larger buffer (if you just hold the button, and take 20+ pics at a time), then get a better camera (60D, 7D, etc).

If you like taking videos, the T4i is great, b/c it'll autofocus as it takes video, the others won't.

I have a 70-300 zoom, and polarbear22 - does yours have the IS (image stabilization)? If not, just go buy a new lens. It is that much better. My mom has the old one, and it just doesn't compare.

I also have an 18-135, but my favorite is the 10-22 Wide angle zoom. It takes beautiful pictures, especially inside. And it takes great pictures of the stars.



With any Canon (and nikon too) you can get adaptors if you want to hook it up to a telescope. Fun doing that too.

Edit: added image.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
tenuki wrote:Just make a fake account and rant there, we'll follow you



that is startlingly brilliant in it's brilliance. Future's so bright I gotta wear shades style brilliant

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

The Canon/Nikon debate is a bit pointless except to someone who is starting from scratch. My family exclusively shoots Nikon SLRs, but this is more a function of having a collection of Nikkor lenses than anything else. Those who have a collection of Canon lenses should obviously continue to stick with Canon bodies - the investment in the lenses generally dictates what your next camera body is going to be. You can get great results from both Canon and Nikon cameras, and both make good, solid, and reliable products.

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
edthebedhead wrote:Well, good stuff. I hope it's THAT good.



I just found out that it will NOT be offered on woot, because the quantities are too small. But rest assured, dedicated wooters will know where to find it. I'm sure word will leak out. And when there's a leak, you should wear galoshes, or something similar.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
edthebedhead wrote:1. Woot seems sluggish today.
2. my $5 shipping pops up on everything I order, even though I've already placed an order.


Ping support@woot.com over #2, and see if you can get that fixed up.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Cesare


quality posts: 1697 Private Messages Cesare

Wellington Roussanne up for Kyle.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
PetiteSirah wrote:I just found out that it will NOT be offered on woot, because the quantities are too small. But rest assured, dedicated wooters will know where to find it. I'm sure word will leak out. And when there's a leak, you should wear galoshes, or something similar.



with my luck, I will be the last to know!! ha ha ha

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
PetiteSirah wrote:I just found out that it will NOT be offered on woot, because the quantities are too small. But rest assured, dedicated wooters will know where to find it. I'm sure word will leak out. And when there's a leak, you should wear galoshes, or something similar.



condoms?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
edthebedhead wrote:I have a 70-300 zoom, and polarbear22 - does yours have the IS (image stabilization)? If not, just go buy a new lens. It is that much better. My mom has the old one, and it just doesn't compare.


Yep. That is what the IS in the range meant. And I agree, the IS lenses are really better, especially as you get longer or slow shutter speed.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
jawlz wrote:The Canon/Nikon debate is a bit pointless except to someone who is starting from scratch. My family exclusively shoots Nikon SLRs, but this is more a function of having a collection of Nikkor lenses than anything else. Those who have a collection of Canon lenses should obviously continue to stick with Canon bodies - the investment in the lenses generally dictates what your next camera body is going to be. You can get great results from both Canon and Nikon cameras, and both make good, solid, and reliable products.



Agree. I started with Canon with 35MM, made an investment in the image stabilization lenses, so staying with Canon.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
polarbear22 wrote:Yep. That is what the IS in the range meant. And I agree, the IS lenses are really better, especially as you get longer or slow shutter speed.



Wow. I read your post 3 times before I asked my question. Yeah, nevermind. Oops. ... Thanks for the kind response to my stupid question.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark




Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
PetiteSirah wrote:I just found out that it will NOT be offered on woot, because the quantities are too small. But rest assured, dedicated wooters will know where to find it. I'm sure word will leak out. And when there's a leak, you should wear galoshes, or something similar.



You tease us so! Do you know where I might find a leak?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar