mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

We've only had two this year, and December is rapidly approaching. Is anyone still here? I've been pretty absent from the forums myself. I believe one of our fold has recently relocated to the area, so we no longer have to schedule around flights.

We are probably unavailable to host this time, but hope to volunteer in the spring again.

As far as a theme goes, how about a tribute to some wineries that have been destroyed or badly damaged by Hurricane Sandy?

(Edit: It turns out, there aren't that many, but it's a starting point for a theme.)

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Well if we can find a host and pick a suitable date, I'm in.
As it's already the end of Nov, I don't think we can plan a tasting fast enough for that. I think the best weekends would be either 12/1, 12/8, or 12/15. Anything after that and it probably gets too close to Xmas. Not sure where the particulars of Hanukkah falls, so don't know if one of those weekends would be a no-go for the JeWooters.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well if we can find a host and pick a suitable date, I'm in.
As it's already the end of Nov, I don't think we can plan a tasting fast enough for that. I think the best weekends would be either 12/1, 12/8, or 12/15. Anything after that and it probably gets too close to Xmas. Not sure where the particulars of Hanukkah falls, so don't know if one of those weekends would be a no-go for the JeWooters.

It just so happens that the first night is the 8th and the last night is the 15th. While that doesn't completely rule us out, it's probably best we be with the kids at least those two nights.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

HitAnyKey42

As for the theme (ie. A Tribute to Sandy), that does sound like a good idea if we can figure out some way to work with it.
Going through my own cellar (since that's where I would likely try to pull a bottle from), there are only a couple things that drew my attention so far.

2005 Havens Wine Cellars Black and Blue to signify the beating the east coast took
2004 Massena Durif Howling Dog to signify the howling winds that brought forth the damage
2005 Michael-David Vineyards Petite Sirah Earthquake again to signify damaging forces
2007 Michael-David Vineyards Petite Sirah Windmill as something referencing winds
2005 Parducci Petite Sirah True Grit to signify the grit & grime that has been left behind
2005 Château Rollan de By to signify how the winds caused so much to "roll on by" (yeah, I know this ones a stretch )
2005 Rosenblum Cellars Petite Sirah Reserve Rockpile Road Vineyard to signify how it turned roads into rockpiles
2011 Don Sebastiani & Sons Pinot Noir The Crusher self explanatory

So the above are just some examples of what might work for a theme such as this. Names of wines that can somewhat correlate to damage and destruction. Or better yet correlate to triumph and resilience, for us all overcoming the tragedy and rebuilding.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

mikegberg wrote:It just so happens that the first night is the 8th and the last night is the 15th. While that doesn't completely rule us out, it's probably best we be with the kids at least those two nights.

Yeah, I kinda thought that might be the case.
Now we don't want to rule out automatically the Friday nights. We could always do a Friday night tasting, if enough people are able to do so.
And also if enough people are around on 12/22, that one might be possible too. I think Cat will be coming to me that day, so I believe we would be around. She'd probably be a little tired from the long drive, but it could still be a possibility if all other nights don't work for anyone.

Though first we need to find a host. I'm too far east for a winter tasting for me to host.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, I kinda thought that might be the case.
Now we don't want to rule out automatically the Friday nights. We could always do a Friday night tasting, if enough people are able to do so.
And also if enough people are around on 12/22, that one might be possible too. I think Cat will be coming to me that day, so I believe we would be around. She'd probably be a little tired from the long drive, but it could still be a possibility if all other nights don't work for anyone.

Though first we need to find a host. I'm too far east for a winter tasting for me to host.

So you're volunteering me to drive for 13 hours and then go drive another 1.5 to 2 hours back in toward the city... Just how many hours are in your day?

A "little" tired he says.

Though I suppose there is a SLIGHT possibility I may be able to do a split drive and leave after work on Friday and stop overnight like I did this time (and like I used to do back before I actually started budgeting properly). Depending on weather conditions. Maybe.

You're also assuming the plan is to drive to YOUR place first rather than my parents' We'll see.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Pick a date on the weekend and I can likely be there. Not Sundays, though.

I like the theme. When the hurricane was approaching and we didn't know what would happen (or where), I broke out one of my higher-end bottles. Logic being if this thing takes me out, I'm going out smiling. Also (and less dramatically), if I lost power, that's one less bottle to fret over.

So if it's a hurricane theme, I'd tend that way. Besides we're always looking for occasions to drink "the good stuff."

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Depends on work scheduling. I'm thinking of hosting one in February or March. Nov/Dec will probably be too hectic for me to really hatch down on a date, and me attending this one will fall sorely on if I'm working or not.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

howdy folks, just saw this.
With college football season taking a break in between the SEC Championship on 12/1, and Bama playing in the National Championship in Jan... my December looks wide open! I'd mentioned hosting in Brooklyn in the past, and imagine that we could do a December event at my place in Cobble Hill on the 8th or 15th (or corresponding Sundays if necessary).
Sandy Theme. We too pulled out the big guns for fear of losing power, and wouldn't mind a special occasion bottle.
Red Hook Winery was completely wiped out by the storm. They lost 4 vintages that were aging in barrel (wine in tanks were rescued). Abe and Robert were making some amazing, esoteric stuff down there, and they don't want charity - just people to buy their wines to get money back in. If people are on the fence, a shop a block from my place has half a dozen of their wines and would be fun to try.
Not quite as severe, but the North Fork was also affected by the storm. While all fruit was in, most wineries experienced flooding and were without power for several weeks.

It's also cold. Soul-warming wines would be welcome.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

iByron

How about 15-Dec?

I need to ask off the following Sunday of any Saturday chosen, and that one is at this point the farthest out so I can still do so in a timely manner (that the manager will appreciate).

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Months ago I mentioned to Cesare that I'd like to host. Given the time of year and busy schedules of so many, this may be a good opportunity b/c I imagine turn out will be on the lower end.

I have a, for NYC, pretty good size apt in Midtown West/Hell's Kitchen. For the most part my schedule is pretty open. I'll have a small Hanukkah family get together, but I have a lot of flexibility scheduling that.

So if people want a NYC/Manhattan location, I'd be happy to host.

I too like the theme. I'd suggest taking it a step further and maybe having a few really good bottles put up for "A Tribute event Auction" with 100% of the proceeds going to a storm related charity, whether it be the Red Cross or one of the numerous grass roots organizations that are doing tremendous charitable work for the many victims that have lost almost everything except, thankfully, their lives.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mschauber wrote: I'd suggest taking it a step further and maybe having a few really good bottles put up for "A Tribute event Auction" with 100% of the proceeds going to a storm related charity, whether it be the Red Cross or one of the numerous grass roots organizations that are doing tremendous charitable work for the many victims that have lost almost everything except, thankfully, their lives.

That's such a wonderful idea.

I'm just hanging out, really.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
inkycatz wrote:That's such a wonderful idea.

Regardless of where the event is hosted, I'd be glad to work on this aspect of the event. Those of us that were not affected or barely affected by this storm have, IMHO, a duty and responsibility to help those who lost so much. If nothing else, Sandy is a reminder to southern NY residents that we are no immune from the horrible damage these types of storms cause and that we have to get used to the fact it's going to be more the norm than the exception. And next time if could me you (me) that lose everything. So as the Woot NYC community, let's do just a little to help. That little we do will be a lot to those receiving the help.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

rpm

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rpm

I don't think we'll be able to make anything in December - we're out of town the first and last weekends of the month and have family stuff on the weekends of the 8th and 15th, and the 22nd is unlikely.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

Bumping this up, but it looks like time has been getting away from all of us. Doesn't look to me like we're going to be able to plan a tasting for this month, since there just doesn't seem to be enough time to do so. Unless one of the people who have offered to host want to just grab this by the reigns and get it going asap.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

iByron

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Bumping this up, but it looks like time has been getting away from all of us. Doesn't look to me like we're going to be able to plan a tasting for this month, since there just doesn't seem to be enough time to do so. Unless one of the people who have offered to host want to just grab this by the reigns and get it going asap.

Yeah, December's pretty much dead for the "fifth borough" set. However, January is just around the corner and I'm sure we'll all have some Xmas/holiday leftovers!

Plus my birthday is the 29th and there are two weekends on either side!

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Well if nothing else, then I am volunteering HAK's place to host a gathering just as soon as I've moved out there in March

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

I know I've been out of the loop but interested in whatever the next one is.

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Ditto. It's been kind of really quiet on the NYC gathering side.