12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1614 Private Messages Cesare

Vella Cheese Mezzo Secco Dry Jack Cheese 2lb Wedge
$24.99 (Normally $33.00) 24% off List Price
(1) Vella Cheese Mezzo Secco Dry Jack Cheese, 2 lbs.

Website

Previous offers:
10/20/11
12/1/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

What? No wine with this cheese?

that was fun while it lasted!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bpr2 wrote:What? No wine with this cheese?

Just the human whines.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

Are the cheese people reading this tonight?

I'm leaving town next Thursday for over two weeks. I'm in for three if I will receive it by Wednesday at the latest (Kentucky), but I can't buy it otherwise. Unless you promise to defer shipment until mid-December.

gertiestn

quality posts: 54 Private Messages gertiestn

Let me rave about this, if I may: I first picked up the dry jack during a Woot-off & I've bought it each time I've seen it since on Woot. It's that good. In fact, I had just a few shavings of this with coffee & bread this morning & thought to myself, this stuff is almost gone, poop.

Now I take back the poop.

A really nice cheese.

jayeeyee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jayeeyee

When will Woot start selling some Gruyere cheeeeeese. =/

tsero4

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tsero4

Regular price:
2.5 lb. Quarter Wheel Mezzo Secco $33.00

$13.20 per pound

WOOT! Price:
2 lbs Wheel Mezzo Secco $24.99

$12.50 Per Pound

The WOOT! price is still lower but only by 5.3% not the posted 25%

Source: (http://www.vellacheese.com/pages/cheeses.html)

[MOD: Please be sure to include tax and shipping when comparing deals on wine.woot.]

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

This is excellent cheese, and you can do a lot of different things with it. It's great in soups, loved it on homemade wheat bread toasted cheese!

Guybrush01

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Guybrush01

C'mon woot, I love these pairing wine.woots, but you have to do better than I could do if I had a coupon at the local Wal-Mart.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
Guybrush01 wrote:C'mon woot, I love these pairing wine.woots, but you have to do better than I could do if I had a coupon at the local Wal-Mart.

Wal Mart doesn't sell cheese this good.
Don't confuse this with the bricks of disgusting jack cheese made in some factory. This is real stuff made by actual people from ingredients that sound like.. food.
Oh, and I'm not from the Vella cheese company, we just happen to have the same last name.

CrystalSinger

quality posts: 7 Private Messages CrystalSinger
tsero4 wrote:Regular price:The WOOT! price is still lower but only by 5.3% not the posted 25%

Source: (http://www.vellacheese.com/pages/cheeses.html)

The shipping from the Vella Cheese site starts at $15.26 (at least for delivery to my zip code on the east coast) for UPS Ground. That brings the entire package price to a considerably higher total. It is my understanding that woot calculates the pricing stats based on cost of product plus shipping.

T

NurseyC2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NurseyC2

I am sorry, this doesn't have anything to do with the cheese but I am trying really hard to see if "The Olives" are going to be offered anytime soon or at least before
Christmas?? Anyone from
Woot...can you answer this?

Thank you!

tsero4

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tsero4
CrystalSinger wrote:The shipping from the Vella Cheese site starts at $15.26 (at least for delivery to my zip code on the east coast) for UPS Ground. That brings the entire package price to a considerably higher total. It is my understanding that woot calculates the pricing stats based on cost of product plus shipping.

No they calculate it using the MSRP only (do the math). But you are correct that with shipping it becomes a much better deal

psm321

quality posts: 20 Private Messages psm321

Hi Woot! Guess what I'm going to ask! If you guessed "Is it vegetarian?", you got it!

fiftymegatims

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fiftymegatims

How long will this cheese last?
Can it be frozen?
Is it shipped cold?

psm321

quality posts: 20 Private Messages psm321

Also, could people comment on the flavor of this cheese? I see from one of the previous sales that the cheesemaker says it tastes vaguely like Parmesan, but then someone later said that it tasted like Swiss. Those are 2 very different tastes to me! (I love Parmesan, despise Swiss "cheese") Would very much like to hear other opinions to help me figure out whether I would enjoy this.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
psm321 wrote:Also, could people comment on the flavor of this cheese? I see from one of the previous sales that the cheesemaker says it tastes vaguely like Parmesan, but then someone later said that it tasted like Swiss. Those are 2 very different tastes to me! (I love Parmesan, despise Swiss "cheese") Would very much like to hear other opinions to help me figure out whether I would enjoy this.

It is not nearly as salty and pungent as Parmesan. It is hard like Parmesan. Flavor more akin to a manchego or Iberico, perhaps a bit more flavor than those.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum

Would this be good for raclette?

trenthummel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trenthummel
psm321 wrote:Hi Woot! Guess what I'm going to ask! If you guessed "Is it vegetarian?", you got it!

Website says no animal rennet, so you're probably ok.

trenthummel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trenthummel

Btw, if you're interested in making a jack cheese: http://www.cheesemaking.com/jackcheeserecipe.html
Vella cheese is mentioned at the end...

I've made a smaller batch and it turned out great.

rosstx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosstx

Luv cheese / just chk,n comments

matterhornfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matterhornfan

Are you selling the Dry Jack or the Mezzo Secco this time? Different pages say different things, and the two cheeses are not the same.

kimrowell

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kimrowell
fiftymegatims wrote:How long will this cheese last?
Can it be frozen?
Is it shipped cold?

I have bought Vella Cheese several times in the past, and it is not shipped cold. I am passing this time only because I stocked up when I was in Sonoma a couple of months ago. They told us there that it can be out of the refrigerator for up to 3 days with no harm to the cheese.

I have no idea if you could freeze it. You could probably call Vella in Sonoma and ask.

This is excellent cheese that lasts a LONG time. We treat it similarly to our "good" bottles of wine. We don't eat it until we have time to sit and savor it. With wine, of course.

elemental00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elemental00

the olive oil/black pepper coating brings this cheese to another level.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Can someone from Woot or Vella chime in and tell me the Nutritional Info? We do a low carb diet I'm wondering about the carbs.

I'm tempted (if the carbs are nil), but didn't like the last Vella cheeses that I purchased via woot. They were shipped without a cold pack and the texture was just sort of rubbery. I'm thinking that if this is the dry cheese, maybe that wouldn't happen?

Thanks!

Jen

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy
fiftymegatims wrote:How long will this cheese last?
Can it be frozen?
Is it shipped cold?

I can only speak for the dry cheese, not the medium dry that is being offered, but I still have one shrink-wrapped hunk from last year in my fridge vegetable drawer! Looks brand new and maybe this year it will go to the person it was intended to LAST YEAR!

It shipped fine here to southern Texas last year in an unrefrigerated state, and I think it even may have sat on the porch for an extra 24 hours, if I recollect properly.

But I would not recommend freezing these cheeses (or any other cheese that does not come pre-shredded). Changes the texture completely.

But I would h

drollerijr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drollerijr

LMAO @ someone even mentioning Walmart and edible food in the same sentence.

CrystalSinger

quality posts: 7 Private Messages CrystalSinger
tsero4 wrote:No they calculate it using the MSRP only (do the math). But you are correct that with shipping it becomes a much better deal

Actually if you look at your original post, a mod has stated that they do, indeed, include costs such as tax shipping when they calculate the comparison percentage.

T

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123
matterhornfan wrote:Are you selling the Dry Jack or the Mezzo Secco this time? Different pages say different things, and the two cheeses are not the same.

^ Two hours later and no one has answered this.

The main wine.woot page and the top of this thread say "Dry" while the product page says "Secco Dry". These are two very different cheeses and I would like to know which is being offered.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
davemays123 wrote:^ Two hours later and no one has answered this.

The main wine.woot page and the top of this thread say "Dry" while the product page says "Secco Dry". These are two very different cheeses and I would like to know which is being offered.

I would assume it's the Mezzo Secco. If you look at the website: http://www.vellacheese.com/pages/buy.html they have the Mezzo Secco listed under the 'Dry Monterey Jack Cheese'

However confirmation from Inky, TT, or the company is always helpful.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu

I bet this would be awesome on popcorn.

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123
bkarlan wrote:I would assume it's the Mezzo Secco. If you look at the website: http://www.vellacheese.com/pages/buy.html they have the Mezzo Secco listed under the 'Dry Monterey Jack Cheese'

That was my assumption as well, but you know what they say about assuming...

Also, many of the comments above seem to be describing and/or extolling the virtues of the Dry, so woot may have some annoyed/disappointed customers. I'm surprised that no one at woot has bothered to take 2 minutes to verify and let people know what product they are selling.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bkarlan wrote:I would assume it's the Mezzo Secco. If you look at the website: http://www.vellacheese.com/pages/buy.html they have the Mezzo Secco listed under the 'Dry Monterey Jack Cheese'

*hand flailing about* working on it! We're also checking on nutritional info as well.

ps. We appreciate your patience, of course.

I'm just hanging out, really.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

This particular Mt. Vella Dry Jack Cheese has been a very favorite of mine for years now - pairs perfectly with complex red wines. I've used it for wine and cheese tastings well over 300 times in my life. no joke.

We also love to shave a bit off over arugula and toss with aged balsamic and olive oil for a tasty salad.

WineDavid was my Boss!

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04
inkycatz wrote:*hand flailing about* working on it! We're also checking on nutritional info as well.

ps. We appreciate your patience, of course.

Much appreciated!

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

If this half dry jack is like the Vella Sonoma Jack assortment offered last year by wine.woot do not even think about it. All 4 flavors reminded me how bad velveeta cheese food is. The real dry jack is a great cheese and great value

kingoffish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingoffish
davemays123 wrote:That was my assumption as well, but you know what they say about assuming...

Also, many of the comments above seem to be describing and/or extolling the virtues of the Dry, so woot may have some annoyed/disappointed customers. I'm surprised that no one at woot has bothered to take 2 minutes to verify and let people know what product they are selling.

On the homepage for wine.woot.com if you click on "continue reading" you will see that is says "Mezzo Secco Dry Monterey Jack Cheese 2 lb Wedge"

Or here is a link if you wish:
http://wine.woot.com/offers/vella-cheese-co-dry-jack-cheese#read-more

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

always great to have Vella Cheese here. a VERY respected cheesemaker with deep ties to Sonoma.

i believe a Vella rep will be coming around later today to chime in.

rheatoomuch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rheatoomuch

I was going to hit the big button but decided to check out the discussion from previous purchase. Not too impressed with the comments after folks recieved their cheese....

:-(