ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
North316 wrote:Yeah...well....well... my price is free if I walk across the country barefoot, (no gas and no worn out shoes), starve myself (no meals), don't sleep (no hotel cost) and don't have a job (no lost wages); and then walk in the winery and steal some bottles without getting got. Beat that woot!



Is wootlegging available?

gooseridge


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gooseridge

Our vineyard is located just south and a little east of Red Mountain(about 5 min by car). Very similar climatic conditions. Not quite as warm as Red Mountain but close.
I believe the $12.99 Cab Sauv that people are talking about earlier ia actually our g3 Cab Sauv, which is a mid-tier blend that doesn't get the same level of barrel aging(length & % new) and cropping in the vineyard.

Thanks.
Kendall Mix
Goose Ridge Winemaker

Synos10


quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10
gooseridge wrote:Our vineyard is located just south and a little east of Red Mountain(about 5 min by car). Very similar climatic conditions. Not quite as warm as Red Mountain but close.
I believe the $12.99 Cab Sauv that people are talking about earlier ia actually our g3 Cab Sauv, which is a mid-tier blend that doesn't get the same level of barrel aging(length & % new) and cropping in the vineyard.

Thanks.
Kendall Mix
Goose Ridge Winemaker



Kendall,

Thanks for joining the discussion! Would you mind telling us a little bit about your perceptions of this wine and your thoughts on its drinking window? Additionally, there appears to have been some banter about the winery changing wine makers some time in the last few years. Was this one of your wines or that of a predecessor?

Thanks again for joining the forum.

Dragyn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dragyn

For what it's worth I'm a wine club memeber @ Goose Ridge and live in Richland, WA. Their Cab is lights out. $70+ fees/tax is a pretty good deal. I'm not a huge wine guy so I can't speak to all the different aspects but I know what I like and I have no fewer than 12 bottles of different GR varieties at home right now...

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Synos10 wrote:
Thanks again for joining the forum.


Indeed!

I'm just hanging out, really.

gooseridge


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gooseridge
Synos10 wrote:Kendall,

Thanks for joining the discussion! Would you mind telling us a little bit about your perceptions of this wine and your thoughts on its drinking window? Additionally, there appears to have been some banter about the winery changing wine makers some time in the last few years. Was this one of your wines or that of a predecessor?

Thanks again for joining the forum.



Sure happy to provide some background. I joined Goose Ridge in 2010, taking over from Charlie Hoppes. Charlie and I had worked together at Chateau Ste Michelle from 1993 to 1999, and we share many of the same winemaking philosophies. Being a 2008 this is the last vintage that is completely Charlie's. Charlie vinified the 2009's and I blended and bottled the 2009's. Starting with 2010, they are my wines entirely.

I think this 2008 Cab Sauv demonstrates the concentration of Goose Ridge, lots of black fruit character - black cherry, black currant. It was given 22 months in about 60% new French and American oak, so there is some obvious mocha, vanilla, baking spice characters to compliment the fruit. 2008 was a fairly warm vintage in Washington State, so there is a nice ripe aspect to the wine, concentrated but balanced tannins that provide a longer finish. This wine is capable of easily aging for another 10 years, it is just beginning to reach its peak, and will continue to improve for another year or 2, as the tannins smooth out a little more.

If I can be of assistance with anything else, just let me know.

Thanks. Kendall

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
inkycatz wrote:protip: when the cat appears and makes remarks about playing nice, it's a pretty good idea to get back on topic



Now you tell me!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mudman2007


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

Why buy 3 bottles of swill when you can get a single bottle of 2009 napanook for the same price?

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
mudman2007 wrote:Why buy 3 bottles of swill when you can get a single bottle of 2009 napanook for the same price?



If you think $53/bottle is a deal, you should post it in the deal thread.
Calling a wine swill when you most likely haven't even tried it seems a bit silly.

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
ajrod27 wrote:NapaCabs price is $79.75, Wally's price is $90.20, shipped to me in San Jose. Average CellarTracker price is $27/btl. So, the woot price is the best price available.



This morning, Rye Brook Wine and Spirit Shop (NY) did have it available- $59 for 3, shipped. I guess someone snatched them up.

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
gooseridge wrote:If I can be of assistance with anything else, just let me know.

Thanks. Kendall



Kendall - Thanks for joining us. Where did your travels take you from '99 through 2010?

As a western washington native (now in the bay area), I really need to make it a priority to visit the eastern washington wine country.

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

good job thunderthighs, everyone playing nice,

gooseridge


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gooseridge
trifecta wrote:Kendall - Thanks for joining us. Where did your travels take you from '99 through 2010?

As a western washington native (now in the bay area), I really need to make it a priority to visit the eastern washington wine country.



I was with Chateau Ste Michelle until 2003, when I left to join Canoe Ridge Vineyard in Walla Walla. I spent a year there, before becoming the winemaker for Corliss Estates and Tranche Cellars, also in Walla Walla. Which was where I was before joining Goose Ridge in 2010. We have always lived in the Tri-Cities since moving to Washington in 1993, and the commute over to Walla Walla after 7 years just became too much. Especially as our family got older and got into their teenage years. Goose Ridge provided the opportunity to work with world class fruit and be minutes from home.

gooseridge


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gooseridge
trifecta wrote:Kendall - Thanks for joining us. Where did your travels take you from '99 through 2010?

As a western washington native (now in the bay area), I really need to make it a priority to visit the eastern washington wine country.



When you do get over to Washington wine country, please stop by and visit. There are so many wineries to visit these days, a weekend doesn't do it justice any more.

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

Greetings from across the Columbia! Always good to see NW wines on this site (and great to see ANY conversation about something other than prices); quick question for you. You mentioned vanilla from the oak--how prominent is it, and in your opinion is it currently blending well (or will it within the 10 yr window you're projecting)?

gooseridge


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gooseridge
greyday wrote:Greetings from across the Columbia! Always good to see NW wines on this site; quick question for you. You mentioned vanilla from the oak--how prominent is it, and in your opinion is it currently blending well (or will it within the 10 yr window you're projecting)?



The vanilla is fairly prominent right now, as this wine has only been in the bottle a little over 2 years. I would say the baking spice is a little more prominent than the vanilla, but both will mellow over time, well within that 10 yr timeframe. I anticipate that those barrel notes will integrate significantly within a couple of years.

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
gooseridge wrote:The vanilla is fairly prominent right now, as this wine has only been in the bottle a little over 2 years. I would say the baking spice is a little more prominent than the vanilla, but both will mellow over time, well within that 10 yr timeframe. I anticipate that those barrel notes will integrate significantly within a couple of years.


vanilla??? Ugh, that's a dirty word in my casa. this is the 1s cab offer I have passed on in a year or so.

Synos10


quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10
fredrinaldi wrote:vanilla??? Ugh, that's a dirty word in my casa. this is the 1s cab offer I have passed on in a year or so.



Is the flavor simply overpowering for you? I've found some cabs that frequently have vanilla (some Louis Martini cabs, for instance) that are enjoyable.

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
Synos10 wrote:Is the flavor simply overpowering for you? I've found some cabs that frequently have vanilla (some Louis Martini cabs, for instance) that are enjoyable.


YES I taste Vanilla, down the drain.

rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
fredrinaldi wrote:YES I taste Vanilla, down the drain.

Then treat it as Utah roadkill, and call a neighbor to clean it up.

CT

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1

gooseridge said:
I believe the $12.99 Cab Sauv that people are talking about earlier ia actually our g3 Cab Sauv, which is a mid-tier blend that doesn't get the same level of barrel aging(length & % new) and cropping in the vineyard.

The label for the wine for sale at $12.98 a bottle said: 2008 Goose Ridge Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled Columbia Valley alcohol 14.1% by vol. That is not the g3.

cortot20


quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
ghyo1 wrote:gooseridge said:
I believe the $12.99 Cab Sauv that people are talking about earlier ia actually our g3 Cab Sauv, which is a mid-tier blend that doesn't get the same level of barrel aging(length & % new) and cropping in the vineyard.

The label for the wine for sale at $12.98 a bottle said: 2008 Goose Ridge Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled Columbia Valley alcohol 14.1% by vol. That is not the g3.



Did you see the bottle physically in the store? Because wine shops often have the wrong labels online.

CT

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rjquillin wrote:Then treat it as Utah roadkill, and call a neighbor to clean it up.


lol, Me? I like a real robust cab, that takes all the saliva out of my mouth, and explodes my gums and tongue with flavor, ah 1/2 of that could be some excellent weed.... not that I would know.

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
cortot20 wrote:Did you see the bottle physically in the store? Because wine shops often have the wrong labels online.



You are correct about wrong labels online, and no, I did not personally see it. But the posted name was Goose Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon 2008. Also, the listing on wine-searcher was for 2008 Goose Ridge Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, USA. You can still see it listed there.

mudman2007


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007
trifecta wrote:
Calling a wine swill when you most likely haven't even tried it seems a bit silly.



A little research shows this as a 86/100
Any wine under 90 is worth $5 no matter how many shills they have.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
mudman2007 wrote:A little research shows this as a 86/100
Any wine under 90 is worth $5 no matter how many shills they have.



Once again, your reliance on numerical scores proves how little you actually know about wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Once again, your reliance on numerical scores proves how little you actually know about wine.



The fact that you take enough time out of your life to respond to someone with a roach crawling around their posts concerns me greatly.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:The fact that you take enough time out of your life to respond to someone with a roach crawling around their posts concerns me greatly.



Touche sir. But I just can't help myself!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Touche sir. But I just can't help myself!



Well start. If you just ignore they get bored and go away.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Salted Caramels..?

CT

maguirrem


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maguirrem

Goose ridge is one of our favorites. If you want to try an amazing wine, try the Vireo. Great stuff.