2008 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Goose Ridge Estate Vineyard, Columbia Valley
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/22/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

A better deal than on the woot plus offer last month. $5 cheaper.

Where in CV is this vineyard?

EDIT: Found "adjacent to red mountain" on their website. Anything more specific?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

And the Specs section has the pricing info.

List Price:
Winery Retail Price: $105.00
Average Shipping: $18.00
Average Tax: $4.90
Woot Shipping: (-$5.00)
Total MSRP: $122.90

Plus it's 3 bottles of the same wine. No need for the Deal spreadsheet, Woot!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ghyo1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
MarkDaSpark wrote:
Plus it's 3 bottles of the same wine. No need for the Deal spreadsheet, Woot!

Very helpful, MarkDaSpark. The Woot price of $74.99 is a bit more than NapaCabs price of $74.80 (3 bottles, shipped). While now sold out, Artisan Wine Depot had these for $12.99 each. Rye Brook Wine and Spirits Shop offers 3 shipped for around $59.00. Just so you know.

skidd420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skidd420

Another non AZ wine. It's finally back to decent shipping temps!

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
MarkDaSpark wrote:
List Price:
Winery Retail Price: $105.00
Average Shipping: $18.00
Average Tax: $4.90
Woot Shipping: (-$5.00)
Total MSRP: $122.90

Wait a sec. Why does Woot add in tax to the "retail" price when we have to pay tax above the "woot" price? I understand the formula:
Retail + Diff in shipping
but why add tax only onto one side of the equation?

MarkDaSpark

nfurlong wrote:Wait a sec. Why does Woot add in tax to the "retail" price when we have to pay tax above the "woot" price? I understand the formula:
Retail + Diff in shipping
but why add tax only onto one side of the equation?

Because WW is already adding in the Sales Tax into the Woot price. So they don't need to have it added on the Buy Now page. Which the other sites still have to do. Duh.

Plus, if you buy it locally or at the Winery, you would be paying Sales Tax.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

ghyo1 wrote:Very helpful, MarkDaSpark. The Woot price of $74.99 is a bit more than NapaCabs price of $74.80 (3 bottles, shipped). While now sold out, Artisan Wine Depot had these for $12.99 each. Rye Brook Wine and Spirits Shop offers 3 shipped for around $59.00. Just so you know.

Fail on your part. Shipping to me (Rye Brook) is $46.31, raising the total to $85.25, still more than the WW price. Now if I lived close by in NY, then I could drive there (spending $$ on gas) and pick it up, but then I'd also be spending money on Sales Tax.

NapaCabs total is $88.37 with 2-day shipping (which is how long WW take to get to me normally). But even if we take the lower price you quoted, I know the price you quoted doesn't include Sales Tax, which would be added for me. Raising the price more.

There will always be someplace close to us that might offer it at a cheaper price, but then there's always a different cost involved. Whether it's Time, Gas, or Money (Sales Tax), there's always something else involved.

You are also getting it from the Winery, and not some warehouse or store that may not have maintained the wine properly.

Edit:

For example, Wally's Wine & Spirits (closest to me in SoCal that has this Cab) has it for $22.84 a bottle, subtotaling $68.52 for 3 bottles. However, if I ship it, it's $15 for ground, then $6.68 in Sales Tax, for a Grand Total of $90.20 for the 3 bottles.

If I drive there to pick it up, it drops to $75.20 (w/ Sales Tax), but then I need to factor in gas (and my time away from work to get up there). It's around 27.8 miles one-way, so 55.60 miles round trip. Gas is now around $3.66 per gallon. My car averages around 24 miles per gallon, so it would cost around 2.32 gallons of gas. So I would add $8.49 to that 75.20 to bring the Grand Total up to $83.69 for the three bottles.

They're only open M-Sat. 10:00 - 7:30 & Sun. 10:00 - 6:00; so I would need to take off from work (or take my weekend) to go up there to pick it up. Don't even get me started on how much I would lose income wise.

Where's my savings again???

ghyo1

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Certainly not in the time you spent writing this.

MarkDaSpark

ghyo1 wrote:Certainly not in the time you spent writing this.

Time is never wasted when it's educating Wineaux. Then again, it is wasted on Trolls.

And you forget Madam, my Black Square means I am Better than everyone else!!!

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
MarkDaSpark wrote:
For example, Wally's Wine & Spirits (closest to me in SoCal that has this Cab) has it for $22.84 a bottle, subtotaling $68.52 for 3 bottles. However, if I ship it, it's $15 for ground, then $6.68 in Sales Tax, for a Grand Total of $90.20 for the 3 bottles.

If I drive there to pick it up, it drops to $75.20 (w/ Sales Tax), but then I need to factor in gas (and my time away from work to get up there). It's around 27.8 miles one-way, so 55.60 miles round trip. Gas is now around $3.66 per gallon. My car averages around 24 miles per gallon, so it would cost around 2.32 gallons of gas. So I would add $8.49 to that 75.20 to bring the Grand Total up to $83.69 for the three bottles.

They're only open M-Sat. 10:00 - 7:30 & Sun. 10:00 - 6:00; so I would need to take off from work (or take my weekend) to go up there to pick it up. Don't even get me started on how much I would lose income wise.

And would you then have to drive it to your storage locker, or did you figure that in?

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

Ok. Now that we have that figured out, can we talk about the wine? Anybody try this stuff yet?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:... (and my time away from work to get up there)...

Wait, you work?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
ddeuddeg wrote:Wait, you work?

My thought exactly!

CT

trifecta

ghyo1 wrote:Very helpful, MarkDaSpark. The Woot price of $74.99 is a bit more than NapaCabs price of $74.80 (3 bottles, shipped). While now sold out, Artisan Wine Depot had these for $12.99 each. Rye Brook Wine and Spirits Shop offers 3 shipped for around $59.00. Just so you know.

I see the other (less expensive) goose ridge wines at artisan, but how do you know the cab was there at $12.99? You should have grabbed some!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FYI: Shipping States

There were a couple last minute additions to the "Okay to ship" states: CO IL IA MO NE

Go buy 3!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
MarkDaSpark wrote:Fail on your part. Shipping to me (Rye Brook) is $46.31, raising the total to $85.25, still more than the WW price. Now if I lived close by in NY, then I could drive there (spending $$ on gas) and pick it up, but then I'd also be spending money on Sales Tax.

NapaCabs total is $88.37 with 2-day shipping (which is how long WW take to get to me normally). But even if we take the lower price you quoted, I know the price you quoted doesn't include Sales Tax, which would be added for me. Raising the price more.

There will always be someplace close to us that might offer it at a cheaper price, but then there's always a different cost involved. Whether it's Time, Gas, or Money (Sales Tax), there's always something else involved.

You are also getting it from the Winery, and not some warehouse or store that may not have maintained the wine properly.

Edit:

I think a lot people don't get the concept of retail price, meaning what the manufacture intended the product to be sold for originally. Not sale, club membership, clearance or check out what just fell off the back of a truck pricing. This goes for anything out there wether it be wine or toilet paper. This is a general representation of the original cost applicable to the general public. I don't know why it is expected that you, WD or anyone else here should have to scour any known available outlet so we can see who exactly has the lowest price in our own area. My plane tickets are going to cost a lot more than the $15 I'm going to save by going directly to the corner liquor store in LA, Buffalo or even drive to Dirt Cheap Cigarettes, Beer & Liquor in Missouri.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

jrolsma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrolsma

Near Prosser, Idaho.

trifecta wrote:A better deal than on the woot plus offer last month. $5 cheaper.

EDIT: Found "adjacent to red mountain" on their website. Anything more specific?

donjulien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donjulien
trifecta wrote:

The vineyards are at the junction of I-182 & I-82 (check Google Earth for Richland WA). The tasting room is at the vineyards immediately SE of the junction on the west-facing slope of Badger Mountain. GR also owns vineyards east of the junction, on the east-facing slope of (ta-da!) Goose Ridge.

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10

So has anyone tried any of Goose Ridge's wines? In particular, did anyone order this from the woot plus offering (and hopefully, subsequently opened it?

I'm always interested in trying some Washington cabs, but love to get a little insight into these before I click the obnoxiously large button.

trifecta

donjulien wrote:The vineyards are at the junction of I-182 & I-82 (check Google Earth for Richland WA). The tasting room is at the vineyards immediately SE of the junction on the west-facing slope of Badger Mountain. GR also owns vineyards east of the junction, on the east-facing slope of (ta-da!) Goose Ridge.

Ok. Thanks. It looks like you sit just outside the red mountain ava. I would assume the soil and temps are similar? Red mountain cab is a reference point I know and like, so I am trying to determine if this would be my style.

Bendial80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendial80

Too expensive for 3 bottles

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

I'm trying to be a little more discriminating about my purchases, and really do some research before buying, so I read all of the posts, looked over the producer's web site, and read the CT site. I just about decided to buy, when I remembered to check the shipping states. You guessed it, Maryland not on the list. Doh!

MarkDaSpark

pcuccaro wrote:And would you then have to drive it to your storage locker, or did you figure that in?

DOH! Add that cost in too!

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Wait, you work?

How else can I afford all this wine???

And did someone hear an echo?? Nah, must have been some hot wind blowing here in SoCal.

ghyo1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Time is never wasted when it's educating Wineaux. Then again, it is wasted on Trolls.

And you forget Madam, my Black Square means I am Better than everyone else!!!

Perhaps as a holder of the coveted black square you should take the time to actually read what Woot says. Hover over "List price" and you will see: "We rely on Wooters like you to post the best price comparisons in our forum. You'll be a hero!"

I'm surprised that you have never seen that. My post was for information purposes for any interested Wooters. You, sir(?), are the troll. As for me, it is Sir, not Madam.

MarkDaSpark

funbunny wrote:I think a lot people don't get the concept of retail price, meaning what the manufacture intended the product to be sold for originally. Not sale, club membership, clearance or check out what just fell off the back of a truck pricing. This goes for anything out there whether it be wine or toilet paper. This is a general representation of the original cost applicable to the general public. I don't know why it is expected that you, WD or anyone else here should have to scour any known available outlet so we can see who exactly has the lowest price in our own area. My plane tickets are going to cost a lot more than the $15 I'm going to save by going directly to the corner liquor store in LA, Buffalo or even drive to Dirt Cheap Cigarettes, Beer & Liquor in Missouri.

Thank you!! But it's also that some people can only seem to see grape to grape pricing, and forget that it's not a 1 to 1 relationship.

WW Price is basically (Wine + Sales Tax + portion of Shipping) + $5 shipping to your location. So for a fair comparison, you can't just look at the WW price to the low, low Internet/Wine Shop Price.

Some people always seem to forget to add in the Sales Tax (which CA requires now) and any Shipping/Transportation Costs into the equation. Then you have the Grape to Grape comparison.

WW does say for us to look and report if we find a better price, but we have to report the total true costs, not just the "bottle" costs. ClayFu (or C-Lay-Fu as we used to call him) sometimes made the same error.

ghyo1

MarkDaSpark wrote:
WW does say for us to look and report if we find a better price, but we have to report the total true costs, not just the "bottle" costs. ClayFu (or C-Lay-Fu as we used to call him) sometimes made the same error.

Not only have you not read the Woot postings carefully, but mine, as well. I had shipping factored in. Out of state shipments are not charged sales tax.

I look for the best wine at the best price so I can buy more of what I like. You are, of course, free to spend your money any way you wish. That may include spending too much.

MarkDaSpark

ghyo1 wrote:Perhaps as a holder of the coveted black square you should take the time to actually read what Woot says. Hover over "List price" and you will see: "We rely on Wooters like you to post the best price comparisons in our forum. You'll be a hero!"

I'm surprised that you have never seen that. My post was for information purposes for any interested Wooters. You, sir(?), are the troll. As for me, it is Sir, not Madam.

Madam, Sir implies a Gentleman, which you are not.

Because if you comprehended better, you would have included Sales Tax and Gas/Transportation costs into your information. You didn't, thus showing that your "Best" pricing wasn't.

Anyone can use the Internetwebz to find pricing. The key is to realize that bottle cost is not the only cost that you need to include, but all other costs including sales tax, shipping, and transportation (if you drive there).

This was covered before with you in another WW thread, and you continue to ignore what is required for a true "best" price comparison. Thus, please return back to under your bridge as a proper Troll.

Good Day, Madam!

Edit: Perhaps if you re-read my posts ...

1) I posted explaining how you erred, in not including Sales Tax, etc. Your response was singularly lacking any indication that you should have included that info.

2) Since it was slightly insulting, I responded that time is never wasted in educating fellow Wineaux, but that it is wasted on Trolls. I didn't call you a Troll at that time, but you seemed to accept that you didn't learn (again!), and that said label applied to you.

ghyo1

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Because if you comprehended better, you would have included Sales Tax and Gas/Transportation costs into your information. You didn't, thus showing that your "Best" pricing wasn't.

Anyone can use the Internetwebz to find pricing. The key is to realize that bottle cost is not the only cost that you need to include, but all other costs including sales tax, shipping, and transportation (if you drive there).

This was covered before with you in another WW thread, and you continue to ignore what is required for a true "best" price comparison. Thus, please return back to under your bridge as a proper Troll.

Good Day, Madam!

There appears to be no end to your ignorance, madam. If would take the time to read the label, you might see that this wine is from Washington state, so no sales tax for you in California. And why would anyone figure gas if they live halfway across the country? You really should get out more. Fresh air is healthy and clears the brain.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Don't mind me, I'm just peeking in to make sure we're all playing nice... yeah, that's what I thought.

I'm just hanging out, really.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

After reading all these comments, this wine sounds too...

Oh never mind, I'm just enjoying this topic.

inkycatz

sdwindansea wrote:After reading all these comments, this wine sounds too...

Oh never mind, I'm just enjoying this topic.

protip: when the cat appears and makes remarks about playing nice, it's a pretty good idea to get back on topic

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
inkycatz wrote:protip: when the cat appears and makes remarks about playing nice, it's a pretty good idea to get back on topic

Yeah, while the other stuff really is relevant, I know little to nothing about GC wines or this Cab.

Talk to me.
SHOUTING is even OK!

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

NapaCabs price is $79.75, Wally's price is $90.20, shipped to me in San Jose. Average CellarTracker price is $27/btl. So, the woot price is the best price available.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ajrod27 wrote:NapaCabs price is $79.75, Wally's price is $90.20, shipped to me in San Jose. Average CellarTracker price is $27/btl. So, the woot price is the best price available.

Yeah...well....well... my price is free if I walk across the country barefoot, (no gas and no worn out shoes), starve myself (no meals), don't sleep (no hotel cost) and don't have a job (no lost wages); and then walk in the winery and steal some bottles without getting got. Beat that woot!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Fred, how many are you in for?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

inkycatz

North316 wrote:Yeah...well....well... my price is free if I walk across the country barefoot, (no gas and no worn out shoes), starve myself (no meals), don't sleep (no hotel cost) and don't have a job (no lost wages); and then walk in the winery and steal some bottles without getting got. Beat that woot!

Pushing a button consumes less energy? :D

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
inkycatz wrote:Pushing a button consumes less energy? :D

But induces more marital rage.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013