WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Mayo Family Mixed Red Pack (3)

Speed to First Woot:
6h 9m 18.005s
First Sucker:
bskeens
Last Wooter to Woot:
Cesare
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 25% of Wine Woots
Bottom 32% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 35% of Wine Woots
Bottom 38% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 13% first woot
  • 0% second woot
  • 23% < 10 woots
  • 15% < 25 woots
  • 49% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 11% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 8% one year old
  • 81% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 70% bought 1
  • 26% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
2%
4%
8%
15%
9%
4%
8%
6%
9%
4%
4%
8%
4%
4%
6%
0%
2%
6%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1566 Private Messages Cesare

Mayo Family Mixed Red 3 Pack
$79.99 (Normally $138.60) 42% off List Price
2007 Cabernet Sauvignon "Barnstormer" Napa Valley
2009 The Gypsy, GSM Sonoma Valley "Jessica's Cuvee"
2009 Zinfandel, "Antonio's Cuvee" Unti Vineyard, Old Vines, Dry Creek Valley
CT links above

Winery website

Finally Mayo! Love their wines.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine

Hey Wooters...

Tom Wark here. I've done the marketing for Mayo Family Winery since 1997. In that time, I've probably tasted 60 different wines produced by Mayo. Here's the thing. About 2000 Jeff Mayo decided to pull all his wines from distributors, opened a couple tasting rooms and decided to go 100% direct. Pretty ballsy move really.

Anyway, since then we've been doing nothing but small batch bottlings from Napa and Sonoma, usually around 200 cases each—about 25 separate bottlings each vintage.

So, I'll be jumping in and out of here for the next 24 hours answering any questions you have or just jabbering along with you.

Hope you take advantage of this offer. I think you'll be very pleased.

Tom...

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mayowine wrote:Hey Wooters...

Tom Wark here....



Welcome and thanks for joining us!



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

neilfindswine


quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Cesare wrote:

Finally Mayo! Love their wines.



...agreed! I've long been a fan. ...had to pester Jeff for a while. These are 3 solid reds...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mayowine wrote:Hey Wooters...

Tom Wark here. I've done the marketing for Mayo Family Winery since 1997. In that time, I've probably tasted 60 different wines produced by Mayo. Here's the thing. About 2000 Jeff Mayo decided to pull all his wines from distributors, opened a couple tasting rooms and decided to go 100% direct. Pretty ballsy move really.

Anyway, since then we've been doing nothing but small batch bottlings from Napa and Sonoma, usually around 200 cases each—about 25 separate bottlings each vintage.

So, I'll be jumping in and out of here for the next 24 hours answering any questions you have or just jabbering along with you.

Hope you take advantage of this offer. I think you'll be very pleased.

Tom...



Welcome. But I am not pleased!! There's None of your Petite Sirah!!!!!

Storms off in a huff









Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine
MarkDaSpark wrote:Welcome. But I am not pleased!! There's None of your Petite Sirah!!!!!

Storms off in a huff






We will have to talk to Jeff about arranging a Petite offer. That said, the Zin on offer now comes from the same "Unti Vineyard" as the '08 Petite.

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I was just at the Mayo tasting room a few weeks ago. They have a very lively pourer gal there, makes for a great experience! I did not take detailed notes of the wines I tasted, but I do remember the majority being very new world; big, lush, ripe wines. The Zin in particular was especially ripe and had some RS. Tom or Jeff, can you comment on the %RS and age-ability of these wines?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mayowine wrote:We will have to talk to Jeff about arranging a Petite offer. That said, the Zin on offer now comes from the same "Unti Vineyard" as the '08 Petite.



Hmmm, maybe. I do have rather a bit too much wine.

In past years, after D&D, I've tried to visit your main tasting room, and have never been disappointed.


By the by, some of us may drop by your tasting room on Feb. 23rd (Sat) next year after Dark & Delicious on the 22nd next year.


Edit: One of your 2005 Petite Sirah Old Vines Sodini Ranch even made it back with me to one of our No. Virginia/DC gatherings. Of course, it was a PS tasting.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

harmonious3


quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious3

Let's say I want to cellar these wines - for how long can I hold the Mayo?

mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine
ajrod27 wrote:I was just at the Mayo tasting room a few weeks ago. They have a very lively pourer gal there, makes for a great experience! I did not take detailed notes of the wines I tasted, but I do remember the majority being very new world; big, lush, ripe wines. The Zin in particular was especially ripe and had some RS. Tom or Jeff, can you comment on the %RS and age-ability of these wines?



Hi AJ...

You are thinking of Courtney, who is Jeff's cousin. She's our secret weapon. You know those tasting rooms where the person behind the bar would clearly rather be some place else? You'd never mistake Courtney for that person.

The Zin is going to have a bit RS. At the moment I don't the exact figure but will call Mike Berthoud, the winemaker, and get the answer. The GSM and the Barnstromer Cab are effectively dry.

By the way, if you go to the tasting room and encounter Courtney and want her to open more wines for you, best bet is to talk real nice about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine
harmonious3 wrote:Let's say I want to cellar these wines - for how long can I hold the Mayo?



Harmonious,
I'm really disappointed it took upwards of four or five comments in before someone asked about "Holding the Mayo". In any case, you win the prize. There is a jar of Mayonnaise awaiting you at the tasting room.

As for HOLDING the Mayo wines, we think this Unti Vineyard Zin is going to show its forward fruit best for another 3 years or so. After this period you can count on terciary flavors emerging and adding some complexity as the fruit's forwardness diminishes a tad. The Cab should continue to evolve, change and intrigue cab lovers through 2017 or so. It's built pretty sturdy. Hard to say on The Gypsy. It's our first experience with this blend, but we know the Syrah component well. I'd be surprised if you were not happy with this wine 7 or 8 years down the road. But in the end it all depends what style of wine you like.

texacaliali


quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

mayowine wrote:Hey Wooters...

Tom Wark here. I've done the marketing for Mayo Family Winery since 1997. In that time, I've probably tasted 60 different wines produced by Mayo. Here's the thing. About 2000 Jeff Mayo decided to pull all his wines from distributors, opened a couple tasting rooms and decided to go 100% direct. Pretty ballsy move really.

Anyway, since then we've been doing nothing but small batch bottlings from Napa and Sonoma, usually around 200 cases each—about 25 separate bottlings each vintage.

So, I'll be jumping in and out of here for the next 24 hours answering any questions you have or just jabbering along with you.

Hope you take advantage of this offer. I think you'll be very pleased.

Tom...



a baller move indeed. bravo!

WineDavid was my Boss!

kaolis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

What happened to the list price detail on the spec page?

chrisbrettreed


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisbrettreed

I visited the tasting room in Glen Ellen just last weekend. Every wine my girlfriend and I tried, we loved! I believe Courtney helped us out and we had a great time!! I would absolutely recommend Mayo Wines fellow Wooters!!!

mayowine wrote:Hey Wooters...

Tom Wark here. I've done the marketing for Mayo Family Winery since 1997. In that time, I've probably tasted 60 different wines produced by Mayo. Here's the thing. About 2000 Jeff Mayo decided to pull all his wines from distributors, opened a couple tasting rooms and decided to go 100% direct. Pretty ballsy move really.

Anyway, since then we've been doing nothing but small batch bottlings from Napa and Sonoma, usually around 200 cases each—about 25 separate bottlings each vintage.

So, I'll be jumping in and out of here for the next 24 hours answering any questions you have or just jabbering along with you.

Hope you take advantage of this offer. I think you'll be very pleased.

Tom...



MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mayowine wrote:Hi AJ...

You are thinking of Courtney, who is Jeff's cousin. She's our secret weapon. You know those tasting rooms where the person behind the bar would clearly rather be some place else? You'd never mistake Courtney for that person.

The Zin is going to have a bit RS. At the moment I don't the exact figure but will call Mike Berthoud, the winemaker, and get the answer. The GSM and the Barnstromer Cab are effectively dry.

By the way, if you go to the tasting room and encounter Courtney and want her to open more wines for you, best bet is to talk real nice about the Pittsburgh Steelers.



Thanks for the info on aging. Hmm, anyone want the GSM blend (not my favorite) if I go in?



More wine poured ... talk nice about the Steelers. Talk nice about the Steelers .... more wine poured. What a conundrum!!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine

By the way, here's the info on case production for these three wines. As with all wines we produce, they are fairly limited.

2009 Unti Vineyard Old Vine Zinfandel:
192 Cases

2009 GSM "The Gypsy":
288 Cases

2007 "The Barnstormer" Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon:
381 Cases

Cheers...
Tom Wark

Winedavid39


quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

mayowine wrote:Hey Wooters...

Tom Wark here. I've done the marketing for Mayo Family Winery since 1997. In that time, I've probably tasted 60 different wines produced by Mayo. Here's the thing. About 2000 Jeff Mayo decided to pull all his wines from distributors, opened a couple tasting rooms and decided to go 100% direct. Pretty ballsy move really.

Anyway, since then we've been doing nothing but small batch bottlings from Napa and Sonoma, usually around 200 cases each—about 25 separate bottlings each vintage.

So, I'll be jumping in and out of here for the next 24 hours answering any questions you have or just jabbering along with you.

Hope you take advantage of this offer. I think you'll be very pleased.

Tom...



Welcome Tom. After all these years you've found us.

In addition to Tom's highly respected work for wineries, Tom is a well known and award winning wine industry blogger Here's his blog.

mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine
Winedavid39 wrote:Welcome Tom. After all these years you've found us.

In addition to Tom's highly respected work for wineries, Tom is a well known and award winning wine industry blogger Here's his blog.



Very kind of you to notice, David. But actually, I've lurked here for some time, particularly for the Wooter commentary.

This time, however, it's on behalf of my longest running client (Mayo Family Winery) and my best friend, Jeff Mayo.

The cool thing about Mayo Family Winery is the array of wines they produce in any given vintage. It's remarkable. I don't know how Michel Berthoud, the winemaker, does it. By the way, Berthoud was the winemaker at Arrowood during its golden years before Jeff stole him.

Ok...that's it... Go back to wooting!

nealkb


quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
mayowine wrote:
Ok...that's it... Go back to wooting!



Wooting or working? ;)

Neal K Bharadwaj

trifecta


quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:

More wine poured ... talk nice about the Steelers. Talk nice about the Steelers .... more wine poured. What a conundrum!!!!



I may have to skip Mayo on Sat after D&D. There is no way I could bring myself to say a single positive thing about the steelers. Better not to ruin it for the whole group.

itsernst


quality posts: 1 Private Messages itsernst
mayowine wrote:Hi AJ...

You are thinking of Courtney, who is Jeff's cousin. She's our secret weapon. You know those tasting rooms where the person behind the bar would clearly rather be some place else? You'd never mistake Courtney for that person.

The Zin is going to have a bit RS. At the moment I don't the exact figure but will call Mike Berthoud, the winemaker, and get the answer. The GSM and the Barnstromer Cab are effectively dry.

By the way, if you go to the tasting room and encounter Courtney and want her to open more wines for you, best bet is to talk real nice about the Pittsburgh Steelers.




As a Ravens fan, I wonder how this would affect said heavy pour at your tasting room.


mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine
itsernst wrote:As a Ravens fan, I wonder how this would affect said heavy pour at your tasting room.



There is no penalty for not talking up the Steelers or for talking up another teem. However, we do favor both Steeler and Raider fans.

Now...back to wooting.

cortot20


quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
itsernst wrote:As a Ravens fan, I wonder how this would affect said heavy pour at your tasting room.



Ever made the observation that there are more female steelers fans than male steelers fans. Whenever I see the steelers bumper sticker or window decal it seems to have a woman driving it. Odd.

Can someone explain this.

Oh and sparky I like GSM's so if you buy ill take it off your hands.

CT

mayowine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mayowine

With regard to the question about residual sugar, the Cab and GSM are indeed dry.

I spoke with Jeffrey about the Zinfandel and it is in fact effectively dry. The 2008 vintage had noticeable RS...it was a very ripe vintage for us in the Unti vineyard.

So, there it is. Dry, Dry and dry.

Now, back to wooting.

Tom...

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:Ever made the observation that there are more female steelers fans than male steelers fans. Whenever I see the steelers bumper sticker or window decal it seems to have a woman driving it. Odd.

Can someone explain this.

Oh and sparky I like GSM's so if you buy ill take it off your hands.



Done.


Perhaps women like "Men of Steel"??


Edit: Oh, and your cost for the "Gypsy" is shown in the How Good Is This Deal spreadsheet.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cortot20 wrote:Ever made the observation that there are more female steelers fans than male steelers fans. Whenever I see the steelers bumper sticker or window decal it seems to have a woman driving it. Odd.

Can someone explain this.

Oh and sparky I like GSM's so if you buy ill take it off your hands.



Women don't know any better.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Well, let's see if I can keep this up ... How Good Is This Deal?


For those not familiar with the spreadsheet, it was created by jwhite6114, and when he ran out of time (lazy ...) to keep doing it, cheron98 kept it up for a while. Until she got lazy ... err, busy with work.

It breaks down our prices for CT using the Retail pricing from the winery website, along with shipping costs to NY. It used to be VA, but since VA decided to go Medieval, I'm using NY.

You can use the Woot Price when you enter the cost in CellarTracker. And the Retail Price for the value is recommended, since otherwise CT averages out the cost for the value.


44% savings when Shipping is factored in for one set. 26% savings when Shipping is left out for one set. No Sales Tax is included in the calculations, since those vary so much.


The savings ratio goes down a bit on shipping since it is spread out over more bottles when you get more sets.


Hope this helps ... will try to continue to do this when we have multiple labels in the set.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mayosw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mayosw

Kind of obligated to pick this one up given the last name thing... not that I mind a little obligation now and then.

Last wooter to woot: mayosw

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, let's see if I can keep this up ... How Good Is This Deal?


For those not familiar with the spreadsheet, it was created by jwhite6114, and when he ran out of time (lazy ...) to keep doing it, cheron98 kept it up for a while. Until she got lazy ... err, busy with work.

It breaks down our prices for CT using the Retail pricing from the winery website, along with shipping costs to NY. It used to be VA, but since VA decided to go Medieval, I'm using NY.

You can use the Woot Price when you enter the cost in CellarTracker. And the Retail Price for the value is recommended, since otherwise CT averages out the cost for the value.


44% savings when Shipping is factored in for one set. 26% savings when Shipping is left out for one set. No Sales Tax is included in the calculations, since those vary so much.


The savings ratio goes down a bit on shipping since it is spread out over more bottles when you get more sets.


Hope this helps ... will try to continue to do this when we have multiple labels in the set.



Nice to see this again...Thanks!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kaolis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
kaolis wrote:What happened to the list price detail on the spec page?



rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
kaolis wrote:What happened to the list price detail on the spec page?

Good question. That did a stellar job of quashing the pricing/discount chatter.
Did the big "A" object?

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:Done.


Perhaps women like "Men of Steel"??


Edit: Oh, and your cost for the "Gypsy" is shown in the How Good Is This Deal spreadsheet.



Thanks bud.
I'm sure ill see you some time in the not too distant future and we can square up.

CT

Cesare


quality posts: 1566 Private Messages Cesare
neilfindswine wrote:...agreed! I've long been a fan. ...had to pester Jeff for a while. These are 3 solid reds...


Speed to first woot: 6h 9m 18.005s
First sucker: bskeens
Last wooter to woot: Cesare

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber