WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Paul Dolan Vineyards

There's nothing more beautiful than a full glass of wine. Not a sunset, not a newborn baby, not a sailship on a moonlit night. Don't believe us? Test it out! Buy a few bottles of these Paul Dolan wines, fill a glass, and you'll see. True beauty. True beauty.
Paul Dolan Wine official site

Facebook
Twitter

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1558 Private Messages Cesare

Paul Dolan Vineyards

Paul Dolan Wines 2007 Deep Red Mendocino Blend, Biodynamic 2-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $98.20) 39% off List Price
2007 Deep Red Mendocino Red Blend

Paul Dolan Wines 2010 Pinot Noir Mendocino County, Organically Grown Grapes 4-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $129.60) 38% off List Price
2010 Pinot Noir, Mendocino County

Paul Dolan Wines Deep Red/Pinot Noir Combo 4-Pack
$94.99 (Normally $162.65) 42% off List Price
2010 Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
2007 Deep Red Mendocino Red Blend

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Warning! Warning! VDDD BS ahead!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Warning! Warning! VDDD BS ahead!

They just keep pushing your buttons

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin

Great thread link the other day.
VDDD +1

This:
Acid: 50 g/100 ml
on the 2010 has to be a misprint.

CT

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi

As both a science major and someone who has seen more impossible things happen than anyone should in a lifetime, I think there may be something to this. 200 years ago they would have called using bread mold to cure infections voodoo.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

Can someone enlighten me on what vddd stands for?

Neal K Bharadwaj

kylemittskus

papamochi wrote:As both a science major and someone who has seen more impossible things happen than anyone should in a lifetime, I think there may be something to this. 200 years ago they would have called using bread mold to cure infections voodoo.

The two statements in your post are mutually exclusive.

Did someone put you up to this?

kylemittskus

nealkb wrote:Can someone enlighten me on what vddd stands for?

It stands for voodoo doodoo. It's what the logical/snarky people on this forum call biodynamic practices.

nealkb

kylemittskus wrote:It stands for voodoo doodoo. It's what the logical/snarky people on this forum call biodynamic practices.

Ah. The world is oh so clearer now.

Neal K Bharadwaj

papamochi

kylemittskus wrote:The two statements in your post are mutually exclusive.

Did someone put you up to this?

No, I studied biology and chemistry (genetics mostly) but I have also seen miracles and tragedies that could not be explained, people healed with home remedies that made no sense and athletes in their prime die of heart attacks...there are more things in heaven and earth....

kylemittskus

papamochi wrote:No, I studied biology and chemistry (genetics mostly) but I have also seen miracles and tragedies that could not be explained, people healed with home remedies that made no sense and athletes in their prime die of heart attacks...there are more things in heaven and earth....

Miracles aren't real. Tragedies happen because of mathematical probabilities. People have heart attacks because of genetics. And home remedies don't work any better than time. If you get cancer, where are you going? A hospital, a church to pray it away, or Mama Deb's home clinic?

Your two primary fields of study are the two that should, beyond any shadow of doubt, assus that you understand that you can't alter biology (grapes) with fake chemistry (adding quartz crystals to soil).

nealkb

kylemittskus wrote:

Your two primary fields of study are the two that should, beyond any shadow of doubt, assus that you understand that you can't alter biology (grapes) with fake chemistry (adding quartz crystals to soil).

Is that the basis of this biodynamic shindig?

Neal K Bharadwaj

papamochi

kylemittskus wrote:Miracles aren't real.

16 years ago I stepped off of a 6 story building and found myself being lifted down onto the roof where I heard a voice clear as day claim my life.... I spent 21 years thinking that science disproved miracles but then a miracle disproved science. I concede that a rational scientist like you would call my miracle a psychotic delusion brought on by the stress that put me on the roof in the first place but I'd contend that blind faith in science is just as ridiculous as faith in miracles or crystals. I am not sold on biodynamics but I refuse to ignore the possibility that there are things that science can't explain.

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

Biodynamic trolling aside....
;)
I've had a previous vintage of the pinot and liked it quite a bit. Can someone comment on this year? What about the oak treatment?

75blazer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 75blazer

This was sort of tempting to me. Then I went to their website.

"Flower heads of yarrow fermented in a stag’s bladder"

"Oak bark fermented in the skull of a sheep, goat or cow"

Um, yeah. Pass.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
75blazer wrote:This was sort of tempting to me. Then I went to their website.

"Flower heads of yarrow fermented in a stag’s bladder"

"Oak bark fermented in the skull of a sheep, goat or cow"

Um, yeah. Pass.

And let's not forget the animal sacrifices...

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

Wow --

Enough of this -- what about the wine?

I like Mendocino County Pinots. Anyone else? Anyone have any notes on the wine?

Cheers!

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

kylemittskus

StarM wrote:Wow --

Cheers!

This is about the wine...but if you insist:

As far as vintages, 2007 was a much stronger year than 2010 which was tough (so was '11). I haven't had any of the wines. However, the specs on the blend suggest a fruit bomb. High pH, high alcohol. The numbers on the PN seem much better, although the TA # is definitely a typo.

The PN isn't BD, but it is ORGANIC. Link is to an article written by PW about Organic farming and why it's STOOPID.

sjb111ca

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca
dah7m wrote:Biodynamic trolling aside....
;)
I've had a previous vintage of the pinot and liked it quite a bit. Can someone comment on this year? What about the oak treatment?

It was aged 16 months in 12% American Oak and 88% Neutral American oak barrels

sjb111ca

StarM wrote:Wow --

Cheers!

The grapes were grown in Potter Valley which are located on the remote southwestern outskirts of the Mendocino National Forest. The soils there are rich and deep. There are no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers used in the vineyards.

sjb111ca

nealkb wrote:Is that the basis of this biodynamic shindig?

They are based on Rudolph Steiner's work with farming, season cycles, science and soils. He founded Waldorf education, biodynamic agriculture, and anthroposophical medicine.

kylemittskus

sjb111ca wrote:They are based on Rudolph Steiner's work with farming, season cycles, science and soils. He founded Waldorf education, biodynamic agriculture, and anthroposophical medicine.

There is no science in any of his practices. Believe in it if you want, but don't misrepresent what it is that you believe in.

And in case anyone's wondering, anthroposophogy is basically the belief that there is an objective, accessible spiritual world that affects the sensory world we actually live in. And you too can access it! Just go towards the second star to the right, and straight on till morning!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

To be clear, sjb111ca is Spencer from Paul Dolan Winery (he didn't identify himself).

Now that it's been established, let's discuss the wines. He was kind enough to stop by, for that purpose; so let's respectfully welcome him to the Woot forums.

Not everyone agrees with/subscribes to Biodynamic or Organic practices, we all know that, and it's been made quite clear today. Those that don't will not buy these wines; those that do or are open to the possibilities can discuss and decide for themselves...

Carry on.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

nealkb

neilfindswine wrote:To be clear, sjb111ca is Spencer from Paul Dolan Winery (he didn't identify himself).

Now that it's been established, let's discuss the wines. He was kind enough to stop by, for that purpose; so let's respectfully welcome him to the Woot forums.

Not everyone agrees with/subscribes to Biodynamic or Organic practices, we all know that, and it's been made quite clear today. Those that don't will not buy these wines; those that do or are open to the possibilities can discuss and decide for themselves...

Carry on.

Rightfully said. If you don't like what they do, carry on with your life. If you dont drink it, somebody else gladly will. No need to be a e-bully and bash on them.

Anyone have reviews on the pinot?

Neal K Bharadwaj

sjb111ca

nealkb wrote:Rightfully said. If you don't like what they do, carry on with your life. If you dont drink it, somebody else gladly will. No need to be a e-bully and bash on them.

Anyone have reviews on the pinot?

Sorry I did not identify myself from Paul Dolan Vineyards. I am the manager for the Direct to Consumer division and an old friend of Paul Dolan.

Whether one believes in biodynamics or not, which only teh Deep Red is, it was hard for me to groc at first some of the practices until I did some blind tastings, and in truth, there was a difference each and every time. There was more character, depth and complexity to the wine.

Bottom line is... the wine speaks for itself.

sjb111ca

Spencer from Paul Dolan here again, someone had inquired about any awards/reviews that the Pinot had garnered. It received the Gold at the Golden Glass Wine Competition put on by Slow Food San Francisco this year.

wliam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wliam

I'm in for the deep red/pinot pack due to all the hate floating around this winery ... and the positive reviews on the wines.

sphervey

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sphervey
wliam wrote:I'm in for the deep red/pinot pack due to all the hate floating around this winery ... and the positive reviews on the wines.

Ditto!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:Miracles aren't real. Tragedies happen because of mathematical probabilities. People have heart attacks because of genetics. And home remedies don't work any better than time. If you get cancer, where are you going? A hospital, a church to pray it away, or Mama Deb's home clinic?

This is a gross, and possibly uninformed, oversimplification, the danger of which is that people who read it might take the next thing you say less seriously.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
sjb111ca wrote:Sorry I did not identify myself from Paul Dolan Vineyards. I am the manager for the Direct to Consumer division and an old friend of Paul Dolan.

Whether one believes in biodynamics or not, which only teh Deep Red is, it was hard for me to groc at first some of the practices until I did some blind tastings, and in truth, there was a difference each and every time. There was more character, depth and complexity to the wine.

Bottom line is... the wine speaks for itself.

I've often felt like the difference has more to do with the care the wine maker puts into the product than any spiritual or organic hogwash. Anything that results in more attention paid to the wine can't be all bad. Not a fan of the needlessly cruel animal sacrifice though, but one need not practice ALL of a belief system.

And Kyle, I'm married, have two kids and people seem to enjoy my mocking them and pointing out their shortcomings. Sure you don't believe in miracles?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)