bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm
otolith wrote:How many times do I have to tell you guys that when you get a cold and all stuffy, to hit the bottle of AFRIN?!?! Let it work it's magic, then follow it a 1/2 hour later with the neti pot or saline rinses to flush it out. It's what the pros do and what we tell our patients, but, if you want to suffer, go ahead. : )

I know Doc (insert whiny voice), but I don't like the way it feels. However, I will give it another try next time I get sick like that.

Now for some hot tea and to bed for me. Finally got home tonight around 9:45 PM!
Had three meetings after school tonight--only one school related. I was home for about an hour but prepping for a meeting. I am so tired of being cold. My classroom gets around 67 degrees a couple times a day, plus tonight's meeting room was cold. I've got that chilled to the bone feeling tonight. Hope the tea helps.

EDIT: Sparky!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:Did you all see this? 10000 bottles of wine in the house, 10000 bottles of wine...

My Hidden Stash!!!!!

As in I had to move it out of the country to hide it from bowtie, ddeuddeg, etc.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:How many times do I have to tell you guys that when you get a cold and all stuffy, to hit the bottle of AFRIN?!?! Let it work it's magic, then follow it a 1/2 hour later with the neti pot or saline rinses to flush it out. It's what the pros do and what we tell our patients, but, if you want to suffer, go ahead. : )

Not stuffy, but congested chest if I don't use the Mucinex in time.

And those using the neti pots, remember you have to be careful with the water, IIRC.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Must be something in the air this year ... WorstVeg just got engaged.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Of course the week that I leave my sudafed in NH is the week I get congested. I blame MommaDeb for the CyberCrud. Drinking it down..... At least tomorrow is a scheduled day off work.

Itwdswafo

And when are we getting a Pedroncelli RPM sale in woot plus. I've run out and need to replenish.

:hint:hint:nudge:nudge:

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:And when are we getting a Pedroncelli RPM sale in woot plus. I've run out and need to replenish.

What are you talking about??? I still have plenty!

Edit: Kyle, the Troll (ghyo1) is back whining about pricing again on the main thread. I thought he/she was leaving Woot forever?

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
Itwdswafo wrote:Of course the week that I leave my sudafed in NH is the week I get congested. I blame MommaDeb for the CyberCrud. Drinking it down..... At least tomorrow is a scheduled day off work.

hey... don't blame me!!! I Hope everyone feels better soon!!

mommadeb1

Itwdswafo wrote:And when are we getting a Pedroncelli RPM sale in woot plus. I've run out and need to replenish.

ohhh...YUMMMMM Pedroncelli!!!!! I NEED more also!!! (and I didn't even get to go on the RPM tour)

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:What are you talking about??? I still have plenty!

Edit: Kyle, the Troll (ghyo1) is back whining about pricing again on the main thread. I thought he/she was leaving Woot forever?

don't people have better things to do with their time? like drink wine instead of whining?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I know some of you are netbook users. My daughter wants one to take with her on the train as she travels for her research. So needs long battery life (is 4-5 hours possible) and word processing and like Acrobat for reading. Since she uses Word on her laptop, the word processing on the netbook should be comparable.

Any recommendations to get us started?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
MarkDaSpark wrote:What are you talking about??? I still have plenty!

Kyle is busy arguing BD in the Plus thread.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
polarbear22 wrote:I know some of you are netbook users. My daughter wants one to take with her on the train as she travels for her research. So needs long battery life (is 4-5 hours possible) and word processing and like Acrobat for reading. Since she uses Word on her laptop, the word processing on the netbook should be comparable.

I have the Asus EEe PC series. It has around 7 hours of battery life without internet use, and probably around 6 with internet. Its nice especially if you upgrade to 2G of memory.

North316

Sparky,

I was reading back on yesterday's offering and noticed you posted this in regards to your cost analysis:

"You can use the Woot Price when you enter the cost in CellarTracker. And the Retail Price for the value is recommended, since otherwise CT averages out the cost for the value. "

I know I have seen talk about this before and was just trying to understand how this affects CT and what the rationale behind this is.

So if we do as you instruct and enter our woot cost, then go back and enter the "Value" aka retail cost (which you know my feelings on your method), which number affects the CT Community Value? My cost or inflated value? If based on your comments, it is the later, what is the benefit of doing it this way?

I always look at the Community Value as the average price the community pays for the wine, but if there a lot of people entering extraneous values like you mention, then this is no longer the case.

I personally can't see any true value in entering the way you mention other than maybe for insurance purposes.

Just wondering what the rationale for this is.

My CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
tiger7610 wrote:I have the Asus EEe PC series. It has around 7 hours of battery life without internet use, and probably around 6 with internet. Its nice especially if you upgrade to 2G of memory.

Thanks for the info. Nice battery life.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:don't people have better things to do with their time? like drink wine instead of whining?

Evidently not. I can't stand when people post "better" internet pricing, yet fail to include all costs involved.

And this one just can't seem to accept that he keeps missing the mark.

Plus, he was the one who swore he was leaving Woot for good.

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Kyle is busy arguing BD in the Plus thread.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Evidently not. I can't stand when people post "better" internet pricing, yet fail to include all costs involved.

And this one just can't seem to accept that he keeps missing the mark.

Plus, he was the one who swore he was leaving Woot for good.

there are enough other wine sites he can go bother....

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Sparky,

I was reading back on yesterday's offering and noticed you posted this in regards to your cost analysis:

"You can use the Woot Price when you enter the cost in CellarTracker. And the Retail Price for the value is recommended, since otherwise CT averages out the cost for the value. "

I know I have seen talk about this before and was just trying to understand how this affects CT and what the rationale behind this is.

So if we do as you instruct and enter our woot cost, then go back and enter the "Value" aka retail cost (which you know my feelings on your method), which number affects the CT Community Value? My cost or inflated value? If based on your comments, it is the later, what is the benefit of doing it this way?

I always look at the Community Value as the average price the community pays for the wine, but if there a lot of people entering extraneous values like you mention, then this is no longer the case.

I personally can't see any true value in entering the way you mention other than maybe for insurance purposes.

Just wondering what the rationale for this is.

Mostly insurance, but realistically some (to most) people only enter the bottle price and forget to include shipping and tax with it (plus any "insurance" costs associated if you buy it at an auction site like WineBid). So you can have an under-priced cost, which means an under-valued wine.

Also, too many people forget to change the bottle size, so they show 750ml instead of 375ml (dessert wines) or 1.5L (magnums). So that throws off the values as well, since it can under or overvalue your wine.

If you look at the bottom of your CT wine list, it will show you the two totals, Value & Cost.

Cost is obvious, but to me, Value is what it would cost me to repurchase the wine. If I could find it, that is.

For example, Woot Cellars Polyphemus (which will be offered in a MdS Woot Cellars Extravaganza tasting next year). My Cost was $37.50, I put in a Personal Value of $60, and the current Community Average Value shows 750ml @ $32.44 (15 users); 1.5L @ $36.27 (60 users).

So the CAV is off, because the Poly only came in 1.5L and not in 750ml.

From what I remember, The Community Average Value uses the Cost you enter, unless you put in a Personal Value. So if most people don't put in a PV, then the CAV is mostly derived from the Cost. And if they use the wrong cost (not using shipping/tax) or the wrong size, CAV won't show a correct value.

mommadeb1

ohhh....I just got 5 boxes from WTSO,,, my summer orders....then I think I have a case coming from last bottle that should be arriving soon.... lets just say, hubby wasn't impressed!! ha ha ha

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:there are enough other wine sites he can go bother....

On the Plus (minus?) side, I was able to get my very first Probation!!

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:Mostly insurance, but realistically some (to most) people only enter the bottle price and forget to include shipping and tax with it (plus any "insurance" costs associated if you buy it at an auction site like WineBid). So you can have an under-priced cost, which means an under-valued wine.

Also, too many people forget to change the bottle size, so they show 750ml instead of 375ml (dessert wines) or 1.5L (magnums). So that throws off the values as well, since it can under or overvalue your wine.

If you look at the bottom of your CT wine list, it will show you the two totals, Value & Cost.

Cost is obvious, but to me, Value is what it would cost me to repurchase the wine. If I could find it, that is.

For example, Woot Cellars Polyphemus (which will be offered in a MdS Woot Cellars Extravaganza tasting next year). My Cost was $37.50, I put in a Personal Value of $60, and the current Community Average Value shows 750ml @ $32.44 (15 users); 1.5L @ $36.27 (60 users).

So the CAV is off, because the Poly only came in 1.5L and not in 750ml.

From what I remember, The Community Average Value uses the Cost you enter, unless you put in a Personal Value. So if most people don't put in a PV, then the CAV is mostly derived from the Cost. And if they use the wrong cost (not using shipping/tax) or the wrong size, CAV won't show a correct value.

That is basically how I figured it all worked. I get that it is not perfect, I just wish CT were a little different I guess. As I said above, to me the community value is really the community cost, ie - what the average price paid for the wine was. I do believe that the greater number of people only enter their cost and don't go back and ever a separate "value", however, since that option is there, people use it, and since it is currently affecting the community price, I now wish CT would show community cost & community value.

I'm with you on people not including shipping/insurance/whatever whatever in the cost. I always take my cost as total price paid divided by # of bottles. This would include any shipping/tax/insurance etc, however, in my case it would also include any discounts and vouchers used. I have a few bottles from LB which literally only cost me the price of insurance (1% of total sale price) and are entered into CT as such.

My CT

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:On the Plus (minus?) side, I was able to get my very first Probation!!

ohh! I'm impressed!!

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:That is basically how I figured it all worked. I get that it is not perfect, I just wish CT were a little different I guess. As I said above, to me the community value is really the community cost, ie - what the average price paid for the wine was. I do believe that the greater number of people only enter their cost and don't go back and ever a separate "value", however, since that option is there, people use it, and since it is currently affecting the community price, I now wish CT would show community cost & community value.

I'm with you on people not including shipping/insurance/whatever whatever in the cost. I always take my cost as total price paid divided by # of bottles. This would include any shipping/tax/insurance etc, however, in my case it would also include any discounts and vouchers used. I have a few bottles from LB which literally only cost me the price of insurance (1% of total sale price) and are entered into CT as such.

The bolded part is where the "How Good is this Deal?" shines. Because it separated out the wines in a multiple offer. If all the bottles are the same, then no problem (as in the current Cab offer). However, if (as in the recent spreadsheet for the Mayo offer) there are 3 different wines, they are all different prices.

You might think, "What's the problem with averaging them out?"

The problem is then that some of those wines would be under-valued and some would be overvalued.

For example, in the Mayo offer, you had 3 different wines. $79.99 plus $5 shipping equals $84.99 divided by 3 would give you an average cost of $28.33 each.

But the "Gypsy" GSM blend retails for $10 more ($45 vs. $35) than the other two wines in the offer.

So the other two wines should have a cost of $26.01 and the Gypsy should show $32.97 for it's cost.

If you entered the initial average cost, then it would appear you overpaid for the two, and underpaid for the Gypsy. Thus, the true Community Value would be off.

But it would help if they separated the Community Value from the Cost. Maybe suggest it?

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:The bolded part is where the "How Good is this Deal?" shines. Because it separated out the wines in a multiple offer. If all the bottles are the same, then no problem (as in the current Cab offer). However, if (as in the recent spreadsheet for the Mayo offer) there are 3 different wines, they are all different prices.

You might think, "What's the problem with averaging them out?"

The problem is then that some of those wines would be under-valued and some would be overvalued.

For example, in the Mayo offer, you had 3 different wines. $79.99 plus $5 shipping equals $84.99 divided by 3 would give you an average cost of $28.33 each.

But the "Gypsy" GSM blend retails for $10 more ($45 vs. $35) than the other two wines in the offer.

So the other two wines should have a cost of $26.01 and the Gypsy should show $32.97 for it's cost.

If you entered the initial average cost, then it would appear you overpaid for the two, and underpaid for the Gypsy. Thus, the true Community Value would be off.

But it would help if they separated the Community Value from the Cost. Maybe suggest it?

I get the difference in value, and will generally factor that in if there is a big difference between the winery price on those bottles(honestly I don't seem to buy that many combo packs), but I don't go through the trouble if I buy three bottles that retail for, say 24, 24 and 26. If I got a Ty offering of 1 bottle TyTanium and 1 bottle Racchus Red, I would adjust my costs proportionally.

I may suggest the separate presentation for CT if I find some time, but I believe I had seen comments before that Eric generally doesn't listen much to suggestions and tends to do things his way, and his way only.

My CT

Itwdswafo

Can you explain how you get your values from woot orders when the wines are different? I haven't been entering in the price of my woot orders because I don't know how to do it.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
joelsisk wrote:Did you all see this? 10000 bottles of wine in the house, 10000 bottles of wine...

they went to Sparky's house?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to lose my voice EVERY year at this time due to allergies. For two years I've been following Doc's advice and no problems at all. Well, except for when I lose my voice people at work leave me alone for three or four days.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:I have been using the nasal rinse!!!! I'm not congested per say....I can breath, I just can't stop coughing and I sound like Bea Arthur!!!

that's the drainage. I can breath fine, cough a lot, all due to drainage. The afrin will stop that.

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:I know some of you are netbook users. My daughter wants one to take with her on the train as she travels for her research. So needs long battery life (is 4-5 hours possible) and word processing and like Acrobat for reading. Since she uses Word on her laptop, the word processing on the netbook should be comparable.

You could just get a Surface tablet. The RT will run a modified version of Word/Excel whatever. Also, there is a full win8 version coming out soon (though that will be 1k, the RT is 500 for 32gig) You can get a cover for it that has a bluetooth keyboard and it has a built in stand so it's effectively a laptop/tablet/piece of feasting awesome. (I'm trying out the filters)

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:On the Plus (minus?) side, I was able to get my very first Probation!!

did you call him a stuffing? that's what I got nailed for.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:that's the drainage. I can breath fine, cough a lot, all due to drainage. The afrin will stop that.

But what about the sneezing? Gaaaaahhhhh!!!

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:that's the drainage. I can breath fine, cough a lot, all due to drainage. The afrin will stop that.

but there isn't really any drainage! but I will try the afrin...

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:But what about the sneezing? Gaaaaahhhhh!!!

no sneezing! I'm on 3 different allergy meds... so far they are working

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:Can you explain how you get your values from woot orders when the wines are different? I haven't been entering in the price of my woot orders because I don't know how to do it.

I have a spreadsheet ....

Basically, you enter the retail prices (X1, X2, etc.) from the winery, total (Y) those, and then calculate what each wine contributes to the total (X1/Y; X2/Y; etc.).

It then calculates the percentage for the current offer for that bottle (Z1, Z2, Z3, etc.). It then multiplies the Z value to the total of the set (it also calcs the total set breakdown on multiple sets and shipping), giving me the percent of the offer that correlates to the cost of that bottle. It also has cross-checks to make sure that everything is totaling correctly.

There's more in the spreadsheet (how many sets, calcs for LA/OC sales tax, etc.) than that, but it helps to have the spreadsheet.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:did you call him a stuffing? that's what I got nailed for.

No, I didn't realize that Inky's post was a "warning" to cease & desist.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:No, I didn't realize that Inky's post was a "warning" to cease & desist.

I got like three days.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:I got like three days.

You two get banned, or just slapped. Seems like you're still here..

CT

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I got like three days.

She likes me better.

Plus, I didn't call the troll a stuffing.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I would really like the mods to remove the stupid shipping questions/whinings/"suggestions" from all these wishboneic people on the main site. It really makes me not want to read the forum and it really overtakes the discussion. Can people just get over it??? Okay. Rant over.