Merleaux 2009 Sonoma County Red Blend 5-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $119.90) 42% off List Price
2009 Merleaux Merlot, Sonoma County
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I'm trying to stay on a siwbm, but I remember reading about these. Reviews and age ability?

Neal K Bharadwaj

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Oak & notes anyone?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

THANK YOU VETERANS!

“Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.” -Thomas Jefferson.

Here on Veterans day we should all take the time to thank our Vets. Your dedication and sacrifice, some the supreme sacrifice has and continues to insure all Americans live free.

Veterans, Thank You from not only America, but all the Fee World as well.

ohlfahrt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt

Veterans Day of course had its roots in Armistice Day marking the end of the Great War---the War to end all wars. Something makes me think we simply need to do better.
Flatus Ohlfahrt
Chief Master Sgt, USAF (Retired)

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
ohlfahrt wrote:Veterans Day of course had its roots in Armistice Day marking the end of the Great War---the War to end all wars. Something makes me think we simply need to do better.
Flatus Ohlfahrt
Chief Master Sgt, USAF (Retired)

Unfortunately some never learn. I guess Jefferson understood that when he used the word, "Occasionally". And you are right about "Armistice Day". For those that don't know, that came on the 11th day of the 11th month, at the 11th hour. That is the reason Veterans day is celebrated always on November 11th and to be totally correct, formal recognition services, etc., should begin at 11:00 AM

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559
nealkb wrote:I'm trying to stay on a siwbm, but I remember reading about these. Reviews and age ability?

I have to ask about that acronym. What does it stand for ?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
true559 wrote:I have to ask about that acronym. What does it stand for ?

siwbm?
Self Imposed Wine Buying Moratorium
and if I didn't see Sonoma, I'd have guessed paroisse d'Orléans.

CT

genemcsween

quality posts: 3 Private Messages genemcsween

What happened to this place? These forums used to be buzzing; it's 11E and only 5 comments so far, and no one talking about the wine.

Has anyone had this wine? Can you provide any tasting notes? Is the winery around to speak?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
genemcsween wrote:What happened to this place? These forums used to be buzzing; it's 11E and only 5 comments so far, and no one talking about the wine.

Has anyone had this wine? Can you provide any tasting notes? Is the winery around to speak?

Its because VA is not on the list anymore and we are probably a HUGE part of the wine Woot world!!!!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
genemcsween wrote:What happened to this place? These forums used to be buzzing; it's 11E and only 5 comments so far, and no one talking about the wine.

Weekends seem to slow down. And I have nothing to add about the wine. Hopefully the winery will show up.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chrisatsapphirehill

quality posts: 13 Private Messages chrisatsapphirehill

Chris from Merleaux : I guess everyone is sleeping in or watching John Wayne movies for Veterans Day.

About the wine .... The most common reaction we get at our tasting room is "it doesn't taste like a Merlot". The other varietals we blended make the wine layered and earthly and change the taste and nose away from a typical Merlot. This wine is rich, earthy, a little spice and pepper but not overdone. This is a nice easy to drink wine that pairs with many foods or by itself. Very popular in our tasting room!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Thanks to all former and current Veterans!

Happy Veterans Day!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ohlfahrt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt
chrisatsapphirehill wrote:Chris from Merleaux : This is a nice easy to drink wine that pairs with many foods or by itself. Very popular in our tasting room!

Chris, can you have it shipped in time for Thanksgiving? Darn, that would really be rushing it.

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr

[quote postid="5237108" user="MarkDaSpark"]

+1

chrisatsapphirehill

ohlfahrt wrote:Chris, can you have it shipped in time for Thanksgiving? Darn, that would really be rushing it.

I cannot guarantee but shipments should go out mid week so 90% chance you will get in time for Turducken Day -unless you are in Staten Island or the Jersey Shore (having lived in the Gulf for years my heart goes out to the folks affected by Sandy)

kylemittskus

chrisatsapphirehill wrote:About the wine .... The most common reaction we get at our tasting room is "it doesn't taste like a Merlot". The other varietals we blended make the wine layered and earthly and change the taste and nose away from a typical Merlot.

Hey Chris! Thanks for joining us. I have a question that I don't mean to be argumentative as much as wine-nerd-conversational. That being said, is what you say here above a good/positive thing? Personally, if I'm buying a merlot, I want to be drinking a merlot. I'm not a fan of Pinot that tastes like Syrah (likely because it is! At least in part.) and I'm not a fan of Chard that tastes like a SB. I completely understand the fight you are probably still fighting on behalf of merlot, but for me, I think wine should be what it is.

chrisatsapphirehill

kylemittskus wrote:Hey Chris! Thanks for joining us. I have a question that I don't mean to be argumentative as much as wine-nerd-conversational. That being said, is what you say here above a good/positive thing? Personally, if I'm buying a merlot, I want to be drinking a merlot. I'm not a fan of Pinot that tastes like Syrah (likely because it is! At least in part.) and I'm not a fan of Chard that tastes like a SB. I completely understand the fight you are probably still fighting on behalf of merlot, but for me, I think wine should be what it is.

I would tend to agree with you, especially with Pinots. Our Merleaux is 75% Merlot, so you are getting a solid base of Merleaux, however, with the varietals we added, the wine tastes more like a blend than a pure Merlot (that may be good or bad). Our goal was to make a fun and interesting Merlot - at less than $14 per bottle for American made Sonoma County wine we hope you will give it a try.

I notice that core Merlot drinkers like this wine and it also appeals to folks that are Zin and Cab oriented as the layers of flavors seem to fit their palettes - that is the common feedback at the tasting room - also they love the label and often give to friends that they shared Mardi gras with.

Alas wine is always in the eye of the beholder or drinker. Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

kylemittskus

chrisatsapphirehill wrote:Alas wine is always in the eye of the beholder or drinker. Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

It has nice numbers. High pH, low-ish alc. %. Any manipulation? Acidulation? Addition of Mega Purple or Red?

chrisatsapphirehill

kylemittskus wrote:It has nice numbers. High pH, low-ish alc. %. Any manipulation? Acidulation? Addition of Mega Purple or Red?

Thanks. The answers are no no and no. One of the benefits of being a small winery is we always have barrels that we hold back for blending purposes. Eg. We added small amounts of petite Sirah and Syrah for tannin, flavor, texture and color. The two varietals also affect the nose more than others. Hence it doesn't smell like a Merlot ( good or bad)
Also not sure 14.5% alc is necessarily low - FYI the Merlot was 14.1%. The blenders boosted the overall alc. and added to its richness and layers of flavor. Hope this helps!

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
chrisatsapphirehill wrote:Thanks. The answers are no no and no. One of the benefits of being a small winery is we always have barrels that we hold back for blending purposes. Eg. We added small amounts of petite Sirah and Syrah for tannin, flavor, texture and color. The two varietals also affect the nose more than others. Hence it doesn't smell like a Merlot ( good or bad)
Also not sure 14.5% alc is necessarily low - FYI the Merlot was 14.1%. The blenders boosted the overall alc. and added to its richness and layers of flavor. Hope this helps!

you got me-as a Virginian that is going to be in Ga. for Christmas I am ordering-both because it sounds good and also because I can't order here anymore.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

iirc, we had this at the Hallowoot tasting. I think this was among the reds that were more my style (firmly dry, nice tannic structure, good to high acid, etc). However, my notes are about 6500 miles away until Monday night. I guess you'll have to make do with that.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dwdyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwdyer

Opened the first tonight. Nose is merlot, but the spice on the tongue is striking at first. Also the firm tannins. The peppery spice is almost distracting, but I'm thinking I like this, though I keep thinking it would benefit from a bit more time to round off that edge.