North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
SonomaBouliste wrote:It keeps getting better with age. I think a lot of people assumed Pinot + low price = light weight quaffer that won't age, but they were wrong.

I bought in the final close-out sale and just drank in June, so I don't think early consumption was the issue.

By no means did I think it was bad, just didn't hit the high notes for me. My pinot exposure is extremely limited though, and I apparently didn't write down any notes on it. I think I still gave it an 86 or 87, it just didn't blow me away like it did for others.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

seaSL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seaSL

Thanks for Part II - would have been bummed to miss out!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
SonomaBouliste wrote:It keeps getting better with age. I think a lot of people assumed Pinot + low price = light weight quaffer that won't age, but they were wrong.

Sure, torture us why don't you? "Nyah nyah, I have some D'Ontspille left and you don't!" You and Sparky. Bah!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

All this Wellington talk is making me thirsty though. Might have to open a bottle of the 07 Estate Syrah tonight or this weekend. Maybe with a ribeye?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
North316 wrote:I bought in the final close-out sale and just drank in June, so I don't think early consumption was the issue.

By no means did I think it was bad, just didn't hit the high notes for me. My pinot exposure is extremely limited though, and I apparently didn't write down any notes on it. I think I still gave it an 86 or 87, it just didn't blow me away like it did for others.

Even now is probably earlier than optimum. I'm hanging onto a few bottles for at least a couple of years.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:Vinito del Finito

That was a lovely offering. Mmm. Memories.

I'm just hanging out, really.

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20
North316 wrote:I bought in the final close-out sale and just drank in June, so I don't think early consumption was the issue.

I had my last bottle over the summer and thought it was delicious so I would knock this up to different strokes for different peoples. I would be all over a "Revenge of the Black" A D'onspille sequel.

CT

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby
SonomaBouliste wrote:Even now is probably earlier than optimum. I'm hanging onto a few bottles for at least a couple of years.

This makes me sooo happy. D'ontspille was one of my favorites (think I bought it twice), and I never realized it was Wellington. And, best of all, I still have a few bottles left. I had to hide them from myself or there would be none.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I know you typically don't make a Pinot because you find it to be a difficult and finicky wine to make to your standards, but if you ever decided you wanted to try it again, I am sure you'd find a significant market for it here.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

cmaldoon wrote:I know you typically don't make a Pinot because you find it to be a difficult and finicky wine to make to your standards, but if you ever decided you wanted to try it again, I am sure you'd find a significant market for it here.

Keep in mind his assistant winemaker David Noyes makes Pinot.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Which Pinot was this..?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
SonomaBouliste wrote:Even now is probably earlier than optimum. I'm hanging onto a few bottles for at least a couple of years.

Wish I would have picked up more than one bottle of it on the rpm "newbie" tour this summer but thanks for mentioning that you had a couple cases left. I wouldn't even have thought to ask about it otherwise.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea
rjquillin wrote:Which Pinot was this..?

D'ontspille

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

I have one bottle left. And I am holding it. Wish I had bought a case or more.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
sdwindansea wrote:D'ontspille

Oh yeah, remember chatter about that, but it was offered in my 'dumb' days and I missed out. Wonder if anyone has an extra for trade..?

CT

SonomaBouliste

sdwindansea wrote:D'ontspille

I think I'll take a bottle to our staff "end of crush" party tonight. We brought in our last grapes two weeks ago today and are down to one red fermentation that hasn't been pressed yet (Mohrhardt Ridge Cab).
Now it's on to all the real fun, like the annual worker's comp insurance audit, planning bottling for the next year, etc.

lorf

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lorf

I'm out of space, but I guess I'll just have to drink more to make room for this.

nniesen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nniesen

Crud, any chance of a part III?

itsernst

quality posts: 1 Private Messages itsernst

Is the Zin just a throw in? I am quite interested in purchasing this, but can't say my nose for Zin is any good.

Any SoCaler's want to go halves on this?

kylemittskus

itsernst wrote:Is the Zin just a throw in? I am quite interested in purchasing this, but can't say my nose for Zin is any good.

Any SoCaler's want to go halves on this?

What do you mean, is the zin just a throw in? As in, is it a bad wine that is tossed in, hoping to get lost? If so, absolutely not. Peter's wines are all delicious. His Zin won't be a fruit bomb, but rather a more restrained, food-friendly zin.

SonomaBouliste

nniesen wrote:Crud, any chance of a part III?

Crud? Crud? Who in blazes uses that goldarn type of language anymore. Heck!

There won't be a part III, but if there were, what would you want in it?

SonomaBouliste

I'm off to get ready for our crush party. I'll be away from the interweb for the next few hours but I'll check in and reply to any questions after I get home. Not sure if that will be before the end of the w00t day or not.

Anyway, thank you all for the questions, comments, feedback, and especially for liking, buying and drinking my wine.

Cheers!

kylemittskus

SonomaBouliste wrote:Crud? Crud? Who in blazes uses that goldarn type of language anymore. Heck!

There won't be a part III, but if there were, what would you want in it?

Two words: RHONE WHITES!!!!

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Two words: RHONE WHITES!!!!

I think we know his answer on this.
Peter, Make a higher end case offer or mixed 6 pack. And just offer up a Small quantity in a woot-off.

Example,
Victory
Any of your vineyard designate cabs
estate syrah (possible library)
Estate Grenache
Noir de noirs
PS
Cab. Franc

Seems like a good idea to me, although some of these are in very limited supply.

CT

itsernst

kylemittskus wrote:What do you mean, is the zin just a throw in? As in, is it a bad wine that is tossed in, hoping to get lost? If so, absolutely not. Peter's wines are all delicious. His Zin won't be a fruit bomb, but rather a more restrained, food-friendly zin.

Thanks. Didn't mean to rock the cradle, just an honest question.

kylemittskus

itsernst wrote:Thanks. Didn't mean to rock the cradle, just an honest question.

No worries. What do you dislike about Zins?

itsernst

kylemittskus wrote:No worries. What do you dislike about Zins?

I have no disdain for them at all, simply just don't have a good knack for choosing them. My thirst for Cabs and Pinots makes me a better judge of their quality.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
itsernst wrote:I have no disdain for them at all, simply just don't have a good knack for choosing them. My thirst for Cabs and Pinots makes me a better judge of their quality.

As someone who usually does not like Zin, I have to echo Kyle's statement, Peter's are some of my favorite (and Pedroncelli).

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

kylemittskus

itsernst wrote:I have no disdain for them at all, simply just don't have a good knack for choosing them. My thirst for Cabs and Pinots makes me a better judge of their quality.

Ah. Well, I suggest Peter's for one. And for a bit of a more modern style, Chase zins are probably my favorite. They're a bit pricey but are very good. And Turley is very modern-styled but are known for their zins.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
SonomaBouliste wrote:re: Virginia.

I just posted on the previous thread, worth repeating here. We do have a VA license; it's the "third party shipper" clause that's a problem. I spoke with Toby, and we can take wine club sign-ups from VA.

We also should be able to replicate this offering directly from the winery for the unfortunate residents of the Commonwealth.

e-mail: toby@wellingtonvineyards.com

I currently do not live in VA, but things are looking like we will be moving out there in the very near future.

I am SO glad to see you doing this. You all are awesome.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
cortot20 wrote:I think we know his answer on this.
Peter, Make a higher end case offer or mixed 6 pack. And just offer up a Small quantity in a woot-off.

Example,
Victory
Any of your vineyard designate cabs
estate syrah (possible library)
Estate Grenache
Noir de noirs
PS
Cab. Franc

Seems like a good idea to me, although some of these are in very limited supply.

I had the Wellington Cab Franc a few days ago and it was unfreakinbelievable.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

First of all...No one has asked and I'm shocked...What's the feeling on the '07 vs the '08 cab???

Secondly...
Peter Wellington probably has the best overall lineup that I've had. Typically a winery has one or two varieties that they excel at, but Peter kicks-butt with everything I've had. Even something like his Noir de Noir, which is an unusual variety, is amazing.

Those that are looking to try varieties they haven't tried before, I think Wellington is a great place to start. However. Be warned..You will get spoiled. Quickly.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
cmaldoon wrote:I know you typically don't make a Pinot because you find it to be a difficult and finicky wine to make to your standards, but if you ever decided you wanted to try it again, I am sure you'd find a significant market for it here.

I think Peter has so much talent that he could even make Pink Zinfandel taste good! ;)

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm off to get ready for our crush party. I'll be away from the interweb for the next few hours but I'll check in and reply to any questions after I get home. Not sure if that will be before the end of the w00t day or not.

Anyway, thank you all for the questions, comments, feedback, and especially for liking, buying and drinking my wine.

Cheers!

Peter, your thoughts on the 08 Cab vs. The 07 Cab, please?

zyria

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zyria
SonomaBouliste wrote:re: Virginia.

I just posted on the previous thread, worth repeating here. We do have a VA license; it's the "third party shipper" clause that's a problem. I spoke with Toby, and we can take wine club sign-ups from VA.

We also should be able to replicate this offering directly from the winery for the unfortunate residents of the Commonwealth.

e-mail: toby@wellingtonvineyards.com

...and my Dad's Christmas present will now be fulfilled since he lives in VA.

Thank you!

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I tasted some of the stuff being offered today. Unfreaking believable how good this deal is.

Neal K Bharadwaj

davide63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davide63
rpm wrote:That is a major substitution.

Based on your previous note - major substitution = not a good substitution??

kylemittskus

davide63 wrote:Based on your previous note - major substitution = not a good substitution??

07 >>>>>> 08.

hookhams

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hookhams
kylemittskus wrote:07 >>>>>> 08.

^
oh well, I missed Part I after getting dragged into a meeting...I'm sure I'll still enjoy the 08 especially with no Wellington at my place.

Must...hope...for...a...raise.

~In for one~

wliam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wliam

Have to pass. Too much wine in storage (still have the 07s). But, a separate 3- or 4-pack of The Duke would be hard to skip.