noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
maurakid wrote:Vaacess said:
I doubt others would agree, (or said differently I'm probably in the minority with this) but I would support having my state get a % of all of the purchases I make On-Line, Wine or otherwise. It creates an unfair advantage against local shops and stores and at some point it needs to get resolved (one way or the other).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are ALWAYS allowed to claim those out of state purchases and, thus pay taxes accordingly to your state come tax time (although I don't believe many do)

You probably are paying sales tax on those out of state internet wine sales; you just don't realize it.

Part of the process of becoming approved to ship wine into a state involves getting permission from the state to do so. As part of granting that permission the state will require that the shipper collect and remit sales taxes on purchases made by residents of the state. If there are spirits taxes, the state will require those be collected as well.

The implementation details will vary from state, but in the end the result will be the same - the seller will need to report sales made to residents of the state and remit the associated taxes. The taxes might not show up a line in the purchase, but they are still being collected and paid (unless the winery is flouting the law).

mplarkin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin
noslensj wrote:You probably are paying sales tax on those out of state internet wine sales; you just don't realize it.

Part of the process of becoming approved to ship wine into a state involves getting permission from the state to do so. As part of granting that permission the state will require that the shipper collect and remit sales taxes on purchases made by residents of the state. If there are spirits taxes, the state will require those be collected as well.

The implementation details will vary from state, but in the end the result will be the same - the seller will need to report sales made to residents of the state and remit the associated taxes. The taxes might not show up a line in the purchase, but they are still being collected and paid (unless the winery is flouting the law).

Correct. This isn't about taxes, it's about protecting the profits of retailers and distributors who have far more influen$e on laws than the Virginia Internet Wine Woot Illuminati.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Just came from a SOVA wine festival just north of my town in southcentral VA. The wineries try really hard to make good wines with what they have but they just do not appeal to me. Too many sweet, fruity and meh wines for my tastes. This law that prevents me from getting Woot wines is not making me buy more Va. wines. It is just making me look for new ways to get Ca. wines.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
slm9951 wrote:Just came from a SOVA wine festival just north of my town in southcentral VA. The wineries try really hard to make good wines with what they have but they just do not appeal to me. Too many sweet, fruity and meh wines for my tastes. This law that prevents me from getting Woot wines is not making me buy more Va. wines. It is just making me look for new ways to get Ca. wines.

Buy a fast car and revive rum-running!!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Not sure how I missed this, I came close to pulling the trigger a few times recently on an offering but I didnt know the gun wasnt loaded.

It would seem our chance to get this fixed this year would be passed as this is a short year for the General Assemble (45 day session instead of 60 day for a long session)

Has anyone taken a run at the Attorney General? I mean Cuchinelli has stated he would not have a problem with pot legalization, so you would think he would be in favor of out of state wine...

Then again he is up for election and some deep pockets also own wineries here in Virginia.

Not that I will be buying more Virginia wine because of this stupid rule, too much of what is made in Virginia is far too sweet for my pallate. There are a few offerings I have enjoyed but I am not going to run out and buy more of them just because Wine Woot is blocked.

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE

Just received an email from Lot18, saying that they are now allowed to ship to Virginia. Anyone aware of the differences between them and Woot?

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
RaiderSPE wrote:Just received an email from Lot18, saying that they are now allowed to ship to Virginia. Anyone aware of the differences between them and Woot?

I believe Lot18 is a retailer while wine.woot is a third party providing access to a winery's own licenses for shipping purposes. The rules are quite different in those situations, and VA's new law was regarding third-party marketers.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dissman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dissman
North316 wrote:And that's just the amount of time it would take you to move your wine. Another 10 to drink it.

That wouldn't work. You need a special import license if you want to bring more than 1 gallon of alcohol into VA.