WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

International Tempranillo Day

Temp, from the Sumarian word for "tasty." Pran, the Antarctic Penguin God of good taste. Ill, the '80s hip hop term for "great." And O, meaning "Oh." All together? Tempranillo. A reason to celebrate.
Tempranillo Day official site

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1612 Private Messages Cesare

International Tempranillo Day

Core Wines Reserve Tempranillo 2-Pack
$47.99 (Normally $83.36) 42% off List Price
2007 C3 Tempranillo, Arroyo Grande Vineyard
2006 C3 Crazy Eight's Tempranillo

Domaine Trouvere 2008 Tempranillo 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $113.55) 43% off List Price
2008 Domaine Trouvere Tempranillo, Umpqua Valley
Previous offer: 8/6/12 (Plus)

Twisted Oak Tempranillo 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $101.20) 41% off List Price
2008 Rolleri Tempranillo

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

I have enjoyed all the twisted oak tempranillo's. If I had more room I would be in for a set. I will take a bottle from someone in the bay though. Would like to keep the vertical going.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Great value here compared to CT club pricing over $24 each, alas, no consumption notes. El Jefe seldom disappoints however and I'm hoping the difficult 2008 will be the same.

CT

sirgumshoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirgumshoe

Twisted did a fantastic Tempro in 05, and again in 08 with this Rolleri Vintage. I tasted it back in June and just fell in love with it.

This 3-pack is a MUST HAVE. Buy it.

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
rjquillin wrote:Great value here compared to CT club pricing over $24 each, alas, no consumption notes. El Jefe seldom disappoints however and I'm hoping the difficult 2008 will be the same.

While as a winery we are unable to make health claims, some people who are stricken with the consumption do find relief when consuming this wine. ;)

But seriously, SRP on this wine is $28 not $24. When I was looking for a Temp for this ITD promotion I realized we had just enough of this wine left to support a Woot Plus offering, so we went for it.

The 2008 vintage was difficult with major frost damage throughout the foothills. However, what didn't get damaged saw a great growing season.

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted

sirgumshoe wrote:Twisted did a fantastic Tempro in 05, and again in 08 with this Rolleri Vintage. I tasted it back in June and just fell in love with it.

This 3-pack is a MUST HAVE. Buy it.

Thanks! If you liked our 2006 Temp, which was also substantially Rolleri fruit, this one is along the same lines. However, this one is 100% Temp so you will get the full cherry-leather-tobacco effect.

eljefetwisted

I will be here off and on for the duration of the sale, so fire away and I'll respond when I can.

The first question is usually "how long?" ;) This wine is 4 years from vintage and is still tasting fairly young. Like other Temps from Rolleri, they hold well. I would expect development for at least 3-5 more years. (Last night at a local Tempranillo day event we opened a 2004 Spaniard which is partially Rolleri Temp, and it's still going strong.)

eljefetwisted

For those of you that like a little history with your wine, here are our tasting notes for this wine - which includes a connection to Black Bart, the notorious stagecoach bandit:

The name “Rolleri” dates back to the beginnings of Calaveras County in the 1800s, and became famous in 1883 when Jimmy Rolleri hopped off a stage near Copperolpolis to hunt rabbits. When he caught back up with the stage he found it was being robbed by none other than Black Bart. A shotgun blast sent Bart running so fast he dropped his silk hanky - which was traced back to his laundry and led to his eventual arrest and conviction (nice 19th century CSI work!) What does this have to do with Tempranillo? Nothing really, but you could imagine Black Bart enjoying this wine - with its aromas of currant, black cherry, & tobacco; and flavors of raspberry, cassis, & bing cherry - over a nice steak at Mitchler’s (now Murphys) Hotel...

corewine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages corewine
Cesare wrote:International Tempranillo Day
I picked a couple special bottles for my C3. The first is our Arroyo Grande Tempranillo. 50 months in barrel and 6 months in bottle. Cool climate grapes and racked only 3 times. This should age for a considerable amount of time. The 2nd our Crazy 8's like the card game. I started with the Laetitita Vineyard Tempranillo and balanced the cool climate grapes with Merlot and Cab from our SB Highlands Vineyard. The wine is finally started to break through. Hopefully you love them both.

Cheers,

Dave
Core Wines Reserve Tempranillo 2-Pack
$47.99 (Normally $83.36) 42% off List Price
2007 C3 Tempranillo, Arroyo Grande Vineyard
2006 C3 Crazy Eight's Tempranillo

Domaine Trouvere 2008 Tempranillo 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $113.55) 43% off List Price
2008 Domaine Trouvere Tempranillo, Umpqua Valley
Previous offer: 8/6/12 (Plus)

Twisted Oak Tempranillo 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $101.20) 41% off List Price
2008 Rolleri Tempranillo

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Dave,

52 months!?!? in 50% new oak. Is this normal? How much oak can you taste in this wine? Do you have any other stats on this wine? TA? PH?

If nothing else I am just very intrigued at the 52 months aging in a decent amount of new oak, and a 2007 (great vintage) which you say will hold for 20 years. How do you expect this to develop over that time?

Also keep in mind that I have little experience with tempranillo other than a twisted oak vintage I have tried (not sure which it was), and unfortunately wasn't a huge fan of (sorry Jeff, though to be fair we didn't give it any time to breathe and I think it needed at least an hour two).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
eljefetwisted wrote:Thanks! If you liked our 2006 Temp, which was also substantially Rolleri fruit, this one is along the same lines. However, this one is 100% Temp so you will get the full cherry-leather-tobacco effect.

Thanks for the comparison. Sadly, despite being a fan of both Tempranillo and Twisted Oak, the 2006 TO Tempranillo failed to impress when shared with fellow wooters at a gathering last April.

We didn't decant but we did aerate.
It was hot and harsh on the palate with very little fruit. While I greatly enjoy the spiciness of most Tempranillos this one didn't seem to have anything going on to complement that spiciness, making it pretty one dimensional.

Although, looking at CT I see that another respected wooter called it "amazing" just a couple weeks ago so maybe the extra 6 months in the bottle did it some good or maybe we just needed to pair it with food.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:
Also keep in mind that I have little experience with tempranillo other than a twisted oak vintage I have tried (not sure which it was), and unfortunately wasn't a huge fan of (sorry Jeff, though to be fair we didn't give it any time to breathe and I think it needed at least an hour two).

I wasn't naming names but you called yourself out, ha! Klezman's CT notes from 10/20 state "Amazing...deep and interesting even on pop and pour."

Still, I'm with you that we probably would have enjoyed it more with some airtime and Klezman seems to agree, continuing his review with "Air lets the tannin smooth out a bit, and the flavours remain excellent."

"Flavours"? Klez is spending too much time across the pond!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:I wasn't naming names but you called yourself out, ha! Klezman's CT notes from 10/20 state "Amazing...deep and interesting even on pop and pour."

Still, I'm with you that we probably would have enjoyed it more with some airtime and Klezman seems to agree, continuing his review with "Air lets the tannin smooth out a bit, and the flavours remain excellent."

"Flavours"? Klez is spending too much time across the pond!

For full disclosure, some of it could have been palate fatigue as well. That was probably at least the 10th wine we had that night if you include the special tasting with Todd. I mention this because I wasn't incredibly fond of the SH 1869 that night either and I am sure when I pop a cork on that it will be much better than I remember.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

North316 wrote:For full disclosure, some of it could have been palate fatigue as well. That was probably at least the 10th wine we had that night if you include the special tasting with Todd. I mention this because I wasn't incredibly fond of the SH 1869 that night either and I am sure when I pop a cork on that it will be much better than I remember.

Good point about possible palate fatigue although I greatly enjoyed the 1869 Zin that night, as well as the Vinito del Finito and Hunt Country Vignoles. Maybe Bill and/or Bonnie will chime in with some additional thoughts. Or Klezman... or Trifecta. They left the most recent CT notes on the '06 vintage.

trifecta

In celebration of ITD, I opened up a 2003 Twisted Oak Tempranillo. Mmmm tasty. Needs some time in the decanter, but on PnP it is highly promising. Damn El Jefe and his tasty wine... I may have to go in for the '08 afterall.

Neil - I know you are a temp fan, what did you open today?

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

On the Twisted Oak ... I really enjoyed this wine and bought 3 up on the hill at the winery. Thought I had got some of the last of it - but now see where it ended up I'll be in for some more once we tick past 10 here on the west coast.

El Jefe - would love to see some of your Torcido or River of Skulls up on Woot (I'm already stocked up on your Spaniard - yum!).

eljefetwisted

dalematthew wrote:On the Twisted Oak ... I really enjoyed this wine and bought 3 up on the hill at the winery. Thought I had got some of the last of it - but now see where it ended up I'll be in for some more once we tick past 10 here on the west coast.

El Jefe - would love to see some of your Torcido or River of Skulls up on Woot (I'm already stocked up on your Spaniard - yum!).

Thanks for the kind words!

We did have the River of Skulls on a recent Woot Off. It disappeared in the blink of an eye socket....

And you are actually not fully stocked on The Spaniard, we released the 2009 vintage today. ;)

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

trifecta wrote:Neil - I know you are a temp fan, what did you open today?

You're going to laugh- and this is very un-celebratory of me- No wine most of this week- just tea- (sound of descending trombones) in preparation for my journey to Paso tomorrow AM. It's Paso Garagiste weekend, and I will likely be tasting a few wines while there...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Don, or is it Dave
Domaine Trouvere

Can we gets us some additional specs on your 2008 tempe? Pretty sparse info to base a decision on, but I've enjoyed your earlier woot offerings and would like to add some more.

CT

trifecta

neilfindswine wrote:You're going to laugh- and this is very un-celebratory of me- No wine most of this week- just tea- (sound of descending trombones) in preparation for my journey to Paso tomorrow AM. It's Paso Garagiste weekend, and I will likely be tasting a few wines while there...

Have fun in Paso! That event sounds fun. Be sure to sample the Aaron PS if you have a chance. Let me know if you find any gems that stand out.

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

Plenty of fine Temranillos to be had in the $5-$7 range here.Why would I be stupid enough to pay greedy Bezo prices?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mudman2007 wrote:Plenty of fine Temranillos to be had in the $5-$7 range here.Why would I be stupid enough to pay greedy Bezo prices?

I was always fairly certain you knew next to nothing about wine. This post moved me into the realm of absolute certainty.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trifecta

kylemittskus wrote:I was always fairly certain you knew next to nothing about wine. This post moved me into the realm of absolute certainty.

lol. I would love to hear the names of the "fine" tempranillo's in the $5-$7 range. haha.

kylemittskus

trifecta wrote:lol. I would love to hear the names of the "fine" tempranillo's in the $5-$7 range. haha.

Not to mention "Bezo" is a pejorative racial slur...

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:Not to mention "Bezo" is a pejorative racial slur...

I thought it was a knock on Jeff Bezos

corewine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages corewine

4 years or so is normal for my Tempranillo from this vineyard. The oak and wine are integrated in my opinion. As always Tempranillo has higher pH's. Which are balanced by the tannins. This one was right around 3.8.

There's no doubt in my mind that was wine will age another 15-20 years. Great vineyard, great farming and I used very high end corks.

North316 wrote:Dave,

52 months!?!? in 50% new oak. Is this normal? How much oak can you taste in this wine? Do you have any other stats on this wine? TA? PH?

If nothing else I am just very intrigued at the 52 months aging in a decent amount of new oak, and a 2007 (great vintage) which you say will hold for 20 years. How do you expect this to develop over that time?

kylemittskus

chipgreen wrote:I thought it was a knock on Jeff Bezos

Or that.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

cheapest good tempranillo I've had in the states was from Concannon and I'm not sure that was under $10, even with offers and huge discounts. From what my friends say about the quality of the Twisted Oak, I think only in Spain will you find a comparable tempranillo for less.

trifecta wrote:lol. I would love to hear the names of the "fine" tempranillo's in the $5-$7 range. haha.