auxdelices

quality posts: 64 Private Messages auxdelices
pjfavia wrote:Skirt steak is from the diaphragm of the cow.

...gasp

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
Winedavid39 wrote:long live Twisted Oak !

;)

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
auxdelices wrote:...gasp

breathe...

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
auxdelices wrote:You'd better put me on your Holiday Gift list. I can't stop thinking about Salted Black Truffle Caramel Chews.

I would dip some Fleur de Sel Salted Caramels in this truffle butter if woot ever offered them again. I am starting to lose faith.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

abjoju

quality posts: 1 Private Messages abjoju

Can someone tell me what to do with the truffle butters? I have both white and black from a previous woot, but I literally have no idea what to do with them.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
abjoju wrote:Can someone tell me what to do with the truffle butters? I have both white and black from a previous woot, but I literally have no idea what to do with them.

Use them any time you'd use butter. Bread, eggs, steaks, popcorn, etc. etc. etc.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dmacke99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dmacke99
eljefetwisted wrote:Fair point. To be honest I expect the Amazon wine store to not affect wine.woot much at all, except perhaps to provide another data source for reviews etc. (assuming that a wine.woot offering is actually also listed at amazon.com.)

To elaborate on my winery perspective: I list wines on amazon.com to take advantage of one of the most popular search engines. People looking there for wines in my categories will find me and maybe I gain a new customer. To that end I list a broad selection of currently available wines to attract that search.

On wine.woot I am also trying to gain new customers but to that end I am usually offering something a bit more unusual and hopefully attractive to the wine.woot buyer. (Actually, the usual process is that WD emails me to say he has openings, I look at my inventory and find something to close out a little quicker ;) )

gotcha. you know the time you guys take to provide insight not only on winemaking, but through the in and outs of the wine business, is exactly why wine.woot and twisted oak have the loyal followers they/you do. . .so thanks.

auxdelices

kylemittskus wrote:Use them any time you'd use butter. Bread, eggs, steaks, popcorn, etc. etc. etc.

Some ideas - http://goo.gl/Ah0Se

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
eljefetwisted wrote:Check the plus offering...;)

I see that's u now. At the time I posted I checked the Plus offerings to confirm it wasn't being offered there.

Mushinronsha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mushinronsha

Do these come with any sort of suggestions for use (like on the package or in a pamphlet)? This might be a good Christmas gift for my family members that really like to cook, but these are fancy and I'm no cook and I don't know if I'd be able to explain these right.

rjquillin

quality posts: 180 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:How would any of these taste on a salted caramel?

How did I miss this!?
perhaps next Thursday?

CT

blindside182

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blindside182
clcaruthers wrote:This stuff is freaking AMAZING!!! If I didn't still have a decent amount left of all of them, I would be ordering more. Use the black truffle butter on a kobe steak the moment it comes off the grill; it will change your life!

You've never eaten real kobe beef. Nor has anyone else outside of Japan or most of the people in Japan. Sorry to burst your bubble.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

auxdelices

Mushinronsha wrote:Do these come with any sort of suggestions for use (like on the package or in a pamphlet)? This might be a good Christmas gift for my family members that really like to cook, but these are fancy and I'm no cook and I don't know if I'd be able to explain these right.

auxdelices

auxdelices wrote:

Yes, they do! We send recipe ideas, recipes, links to recipes and oh, did we mention, recipes?

nothinbutbirds

quality posts: 36 Private Messages nothinbutbirds
andrewtl wrote:Not to nit-pick but I must point out that the statement "It’s got a great anti-cholesterol profile (lower % of monounsaturated fats)" in the description for the duck fat is incorrect.

Monounsaturated fats (think olive oil) are good for cholesterol, you want a greater %, not a less % of them. It's all relative though, duck fat might be good compared to other animal fats...not sure.

You're not nitpicking! You are correct and the blurb is wrong. Duck fat is rich in UNsaturated fat, very much like olive oil,with similar health benefits, but unlike olive oil, it can be heated to a high temperature. Sorry for the confusion.

iissurf

quality posts: 26 Private Messages iissurf

So what does truffle butter taste like?

nothinbutbirds

iissurf wrote:So what does truffle butter taste like?

It's hard to explain. Truffles have a very strong, pungent earthy and musky flavor. Yet, when mixed with other foods (eggs, chicken, steak, whatever) it marries with those flavors and actually enhances them;sort of magnifies them like a lens, instead of overpowering them.

nothinbutbirds

abjoju wrote:Can someone tell me what to do with the truffle butters? I have both white and black from a previous woot, but I literally have no idea what to do with them.

A dollop on a grilled steak is a classic way. My favorite is buttering toast with it and dipping in soft boiled eggs. Yum!

qtipman3001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qtipman3001

My items arrived yesterday night in D.C. and they're ice cold! Looking forward to gifting these!

siryn79

quality posts: 2 Private Messages siryn79

mine came yesterday to nyc and was ice cold as well. no ice pack, but thick styrofoam and cool weather must have helped. i tasted a bit of the black truffle butter with bread last night and it was very tasty =)

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

I'd just like to put an idea out there, that these are more finishing butters than cooking butters. I've tried cooking with them and the truffle flavor isn't as pungent as when you just put a dollop when plated.

As for recipes, if you like truffle, you'd use this anywhere you would butter.

One of my favorite ways to use it is to chop up some fresh brussel sprouts and pan fry with some butter. I add some truffle salt from the savory spice store in Austin (google...this stuff is AWESOME) and then put a dollop of the truffle butter once plated. I've served this to people who hate brussel sprouts and get no complaints, once I convince them to try. Oh, and my kids eat them this way too!

My only complaint is that they don't include the nutritional info on the package. We had to email them for it and they did send it quickly however.

(Oh, and I have no affiliation with the spice store other than I visited while in Austin this year and will now never be without the stuff!)

hellpaso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hellpaso

Mine arrived within a couple of days of shipping. They were thawed & warm, but I threw them in the freezer anyway. Had some of the black truffle butter on top of a couple med-rare Wagyu rib eyes---divine!

"this is the best costume for the day"
little edie beale--grey gardens (1976)

auxdelices

Look again...unless I am special, and the only one who got it, you should see it there. Try it with a side of truffle butter postid="5234030" user="nealkb"]Maybe the plus offering tomorrow?[/quote]