cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
clcaruthers wrote:This stuff is freaking AMAZING!!! If I didn't still have a decent amount left of all of them, I would be ordering more. Use the black truffle butter on a kobe steak the moment it comes off the grill; it will change your life!

Absolutely. At $100/lb for Kobe steak and $40 for the butter to garnish it, it will change your life---you'll be a LOT poorer!!!
You guys have WAY too much money.

nothinbutbirds

quality posts: 36 Private Messages nothinbutbirds
jelliott04 wrote:Even to Louisiana? We routinely have 80's well into December.

I was in on this immediately but not if I'm going to get a container of melted butter.

The duck fat & butters are frozen solid before they leave, They are in a tight styro box and act as their own ice pack. We have done this many times before without incident. Transit time should be under 2 days.

newtiburon.com/forum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newtiburon.com/forum
clcaruthers wrote:This stuff is freaking AMAZING!!! If I didn't still have a decent amount left of all of them, I would be ordering more. Use the black truffle butter on a kobe steak the moment it comes off the grill; it will change your life!

And where pray tell are you getting Kobe steak? The us does not have any Kobe...beef from specific farms in Japan from the Kobe prefecture. None of those farms have usda approval for sale in the us.

nothinbutbirds

cole103 wrote:Absolutely. At $100/lb for Kobe steak and $40 for the butter to garnish it, it will change your life---you'll be a LOT poorer!!!

You only use a dollop of truffle butter per steak, that is maybe 25 cents per steak. I can't help with the cost of the Kobe, though!

nothinbutbirds

cole103 wrote:Absolutely. At $100/lb for Kobe steak and $40 for the butter to garnish it, it will change your life---you'll be a LOT poorer!!!

Think special occasions! Also, the butter is great on your "garden variety" grocery store steak such as skirt or diaphragm steak or flank steak etc.

nothinbutbirds

newtiburon.com/forum wrote:And where pray tell are you getting Kobe steak? The us does not have any Kobe...beef from specific farms in Japan from the Kobe prefecture. None of those farms have usda approval for sale in the us.

Could be "Kobe style" such as US raised Wagyu beef? I know Debragga in NY sells this.

pickmanmike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pickmanmike
newtiburon.com/forum wrote:And where pray tell are you getting Kobe steak? The us does not have any Kobe...beef from specific farms in Japan from the Kobe prefecture. None of those farms have usda approval for sale in the us.

Actually, some Kobe beef is now allowed as of a couple months ago: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/09/28/kobe-beef-is-back-new-rules-allow-some-japanese-beef-in-u-s/

kaivickers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaivickers
auxdelices wrote:There isn't a date on the package, but shelf life is 6 weeks in the fridge and about a year in the freezer. Duck fat can be refrigerated or frozen; our family always has a gallon pail in the fridge. It's good to slather on burns, too.

Never, never, NEVER put oil or grease of any kind on a burn; it causes the burn heat to be trapped and to burn deeper. Use cool water on simple burns and an emergency room for anything worse.

jonahp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonahp
kevlar51 wrote:There's a restaurant near me that serves duck fat fries. Those things alone are worth the visit. They taste like Thanksgiving.

They've also got duckfat poutine, which puts it on a whole different level.

[EDIT] ...and bought. I am absolutely going to get yelled at for this.

I guess I have the opposite problem. I gave away a full tub of the white truffle butter when we moved last spring and my wife hasn't let it go. I've been waiting five months for this. In for three. I was a little put off by the duck fat until I remembered what fries taste like in Montreal. Whoever said life changing above loses no points for hyperbole.

shopping77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shopping77

I too still have some left in the freezer from the last offering but tempted due to the duck fat. You can pay a fortune for a side of potatoes cooked in duck fat at any of the fancy steak joints.

By the way...truffle butter on popcorn - even the microwave stuff - is living like the rich and famous.

hellpaso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hellpaso
kaivickers wrote:Never, never, NEVER put oil or grease of any kind on a burn; it causes the burn heat to be trapped and to burn deeper. Use cool water on simple burns and an emergency room for anything worse.

I was thinking the same thing! One of the very first things they taught us in nursing school 35 years ago. 35 years? Yikes!

"this is the best costume for the day"
little edie beale--grey gardens (1976)

aconrad00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aconrad00

Just bought 3, will make excellent christmas presents!

hellpaso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hellpaso

In for two. I use duck fat all the time--buy the two pack Rougie from Amazon about once a year. It won't go to waste here! And I want to try the truffle butters.

"this is the best costume for the day"
little edie beale--grey gardens (1976)

nicesocks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nicesocks
jclau00 wrote:yes, i ordered this last year minus the duck fat and it came with 1 chilled ice pack enclosed within styrafoam packaging.

I would change that to a 'sometimes' for being shipped cold.

I ordered the trio back in July and got them in August. What arrived was in styrofoam but there was nothing in there to provide cooling by the time it arrived(yes I realize dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide and sublimates leaving little evidence of it having been there).

Also my trio was missing the white truffle butter. When contacted about getting a partial refund I was told my options were returning for a full refund or waiting up to 6 weeks for the white truffle butter. By the time I got a reply from woot I had already used some of the Duck Fat so the 'ship it back for a full refund' option was out. 7 weeks later I had still not received the white truffle butter and when I contacted woot again was given a partial refund. (the partial refund was more than the portion of the cost I attribute to the white truffle butter but not worth the hassle).

So if you do not receive the entire product I would hold off on using anything so you leave your return options open, to reduce the headache.

filemaniac

quality posts: 5 Private Messages filemaniac
nicesocks wrote:I would change that to a 'sometimes' for being shipped cold.

I ordered the trio back in July and got them in August. What arrived was in styrofoam but there was nothing in there to provide cooling by the time it arrived(yes I realize dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide and sublimates leaving little evidence of it having been there).

Also my trio was missing the white truffle butter. When contacted about getting a partial refund I was told my options were returning for a full refund or waiting up to 6 weeks for the white truffle butter. By the time I got a reply from woot I had already used some of the Duck Fat so the 'ship it back for a full refund' option was out. 7 weeks later I had still not received the white truffle butter and when I contacted woot again was given a partial refund. (the partial refund was more than the portion of the cost I attribute to the white truffle butter but not worth the hassle).

So if you do not receive the entire product I would hold off on using anything so you leave your return options open, to reduce the headache.

I ran into the same problem, except I also ordered the bacon, grilling butters and various other charcuterie. This was summertime, there was one measly ice pack in there that was just trapping the heat under it by the point it got to me, and the Southwestern bacon had actually been cut open by whomever had opened the bulk box of bacon and had leaked all over the interior. The butters were runny and all of the bacon was limp. Oh, and they sent the wrong size butters.

It took almost 3 months to finally remedy everything. They did end up sending the proper size butters a little later, which at least were decently packaged. I only just got my replacement meat products about a week ago and again, the single ice pack was fully liquified and certainly not keeping the box cold.

However, my very first order with Transatlantic through Woot was fine when it was just truffle butters. I can't vouch for it if they're even shorting the ice pack this time though.

That said, once you do get it and provided they make it to you relatively intact, their products are amazing.

auxdelices

quality posts: 64 Private Messages auxdelices
fiftymegatims wrote:Lol Duck Butter I will not eat

But the quack is delicious

auxdelices

hellpaso wrote:I was thinking the same thing! One of the very first things they taught us in nursing school 35 years ago. 35 years? Yikes!

Well, slap my (burned)wrist! Who knew?

auxdelices

nothinbutbirds wrote:Think special occasions! Also, the butter is great on your "garden variety" grocery store steak such as skirt or diaphragm steak or flank steak etc.

Ummm...diaphragm? Warn me next time you invite us over for dinner (or order LOTS of black truffle butter) !

nothinbutbirds

kaivickers wrote:Never, never, NEVER put oil or grease of any kind on a burn; it causes the burn heat to be trapped and to burn deeper. Use cool water on simple burns and an emergency room for anything worse.

OK-OK. Ignore our first aid advice. Our specialty is food and we'll stick to that. Do note, however, that duck fat is rich in UNsaturated fat. Bad for burns, but good for your cholesterol!

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia
auxdelices wrote:Ummm...diaphragm? Warn me next time you invite us over for dinner (or order LOTS of black truffle butter) !

Skirt steak is from the diaphragm of the cow.

dmacke99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dmacke99

anyone see that amazon is now selling wine? some winewoot regulars on there, Jana, Clos LaChance, etc. wonder how that will impact winewoot?

nothinbutbirds

[quote postid="5234347" user="nicesocks"]I would change that to a 'sometimes' for being shipped cold.

I ordered the trio back in July and got them in August.

Sorry for the problems you had. We usually hear much later from Woot about issues, and do try to address them promptly. We ship thousands of packages and statistically there are always a few screw-ups from Woot, Fedex, us, the weather, etc. Next time, if Woot does not give you satisfaction, contact us directly.We can't fix everything, but we try.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

I got some grilling butters and they were pretty good. I used one and ended up giving the rest away when I moved since I was worried they would melt and get everywhere.

They shipped in summer with just an ice pack and were all squishy and melted (but didn't leak) when I got them. Woot gave me money back but I stuck them in the freezer and decided later they were probably okay. I wasn't going to order again because of this, but it's already snowing here so I'll take my chances.

auxdelices

spline9 wrote:Use it just like you would with butter or bacon grease. The stuff is fantastic.

Our southern team member uses duck fat to gloss the cast iron pan for her cornbread; speed-cook gumbos; jumpstart the proverbial mess 'o greens. Up north we saute fresh julienned brussels; quick-sear stew beef; roast chunked portobello and porcini; make hangover home fries.

darkman4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkman4

I ordered this 12/16/2010 when it was just the black and white truffle butter. Now they've added the duck fat and it's the SAME PRICE. If the duck fat is as good as I've heard you can't go wrong. And even if it isn't, I'm telling you that the truffle butter alone is well worth the price. And that order from Dec 2010 froze and kept well until I was ready to use it later in the spring.

I'm in for 2!!!! Thanks for a great deal Woot!

Google it, then ask!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
darkman4 wrote:I ordered this 12/16/2010 when it was just the black and white truffle butter. Now they've added the duck fat and it's the SAME PRICE.

Actually it is not the same price. That order was $29.99 and this is $34.99.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
dmacke99 wrote:anyone see that amazon is now selling wine? some winewoot regulars on there, Jana, Clos LaChance, etc. wonder how that will impact winewoot?

From my point of view, selling wine on Amazon will have no impact on what we do on wine woot. They are two completely different things.

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted

noslensj wrote:It appears that wine.woot is skipping the International Tempranillo Day festivities this year.

Check the plus offering...;)

eljefetwisted

Whoops, almost forgot. In for one!

auxdelices

Postal1398 wrote:Because confit is best with the skin on as well.

How about calling it rillettes?

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers
nothinbutbirds wrote:Could be "Kobe style" such as US raised Wagyu beef? I know Debragga in NY sells this.

Yeah I think that's what it is actually. My mistake!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

dmacke99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dmacke99
eljefetwisted wrote:From my point of view, selling wine on Amazon will have no impact on what we do on wine woot. They are two completely different things.

don't want to take too much away from the butter talk, but i disagree. if I go post a review under the 05 Jana Cathedral and say 'amazing wine, but i paid $30 inc shipping per bottle on wine.woot, not the $85 amazon is asking' it would likely drive an impact, short or long term, positive or negative, to both wine.woot and/or amazon.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
dmacke99 wrote:don't want to take too much away from the butter talk, but i disagree. if I go post a review under the 05 Jana Cathedral and say 'amazing wine, but i paid $30 inc shipping per bottle on wine.woot, not the $85 amazon is asking' it would likely drive an impact, short or long term, positive or negative, to both wine.woot and/or amazon.

Long live wine.woot!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Postal1398

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Postal1398
auxdelices wrote:How about calling it rillettes?

I will check that out!

eljefetwisted

dmacke99 wrote:don't want to take too much away from the butter talk, but i disagree. if I go post a review under the 05 Jana Cathedral and say 'amazing wine, but i paid $30 inc shipping per bottle on wine.woot, not the $85 amazon is asking' it would likely drive an impact, short or long term, positive or negative, to both wine.woot and/or amazon.

Fair point. To be honest I expect the Amazon wine store to not affect wine.woot much at all, except perhaps to provide another data source for reviews etc. (assuming that a wine.woot offering is actually also listed at amazon.com.)

To elaborate on my winery perspective: I list wines on amazon.com to take advantage of one of the most popular search engines. People looking there for wines in my categories will find me and maybe I gain a new customer. To that end I list a broad selection of currently available wines to attract that search.

On wine.woot I am also trying to gain new customers but to that end I am usually offering something a bit more unusual and hopefully attractive to the wine.woot buyer. (Actually, the usual process is that WD emails me to say he has openings, I look at my inventory and find something to close out a little quicker ;) )

newtiburon.com/forum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newtiburon.com/forum
pickmanmike wrote:Actually, some Kobe beef is now allowed as of a couple months ago: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/09/28/kobe-beef-is-back-new-rules-allow-some-japanese-beef-in-u-s/

good to know! but now this is going to be ultra confusing, with american "kobe" and japanese kobe.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

eljefetwisted wrote:Fair point. To be honest I expect the Amazon wine store to not affect wine.woot much at all, except perhaps to provide another data source for reviews etc. (assuming that a wine.woot offering is actually also listed at amazon.com.)

To elaborate on my winery perspective: I list wines on amazon.com to take advantage of one of the most popular search engines. People looking there for wines in my categories will find me and maybe I gain a new customer. To that end I list a broad selection of currently available wines to attract that search.

On wine.woot I am also trying to gain new customers but to that end I am usually offering something a bit more unusual and hopefully attractive to the wine.woot buyer. (Actually, the usual process is that WD emails me to say he has openings, I look at my inventory and find something to close out a little quicker ;) )

long live Twisted Oak !

nothinbutbirds

North316 wrote:How would any of these taste on a salted caramel?

The black truffle butter would probably marry well with it. A French chef I know made a sort of Rice Krispie treat with our Black Truffle butter and it was a hit on his dessert menu.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

Not to nit-pick but I must point out that the statement "It’s got a great anti-cholesterol profile (lower % of monounsaturated fats)" in the description for the duck fat is incorrect.

Monounsaturated fats (think olive oil) are good for cholesterol, you want a greater %, not a less % of them. It's all relative though, duck fat might be good compared to other animal fats...not sure.

pfffft!

auxdelices

nothinbutbirds wrote:The black truffle butter would probably marry well with it. A French chef I know made a sort of Rice Krispie treat with our Black Truffle butter and it was a hit on his dessert menu.

You'd better put me on your Holiday Gift list. I can't stop thinking about Salted Black Truffle Caramel Chews.