$64.99 (Normally $147.55) 56% off List Price
2009 Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast, Wente Clone
2009 Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

Neil, I thought this was going to be offered with the Gap's crown?

Neal K Bharadwaj

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I've really enjoyed some Anaba wines, but I've never tried their Chardonnays. Definitely am interested in this.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

We tried the Wente clone at the HallowWoot tasting.

My notes:
Nose: a hint of lime followed by broad Apple notes

Granny Smith apple moderately creamy. This progressing to fairly light butter and some moderate Oak

This was not my particular style but I don't like many chards. For a chard it was decent.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cmaldoon wrote:We tried the sentence clone at the HallowWoot tasting.

My notes:
Nose: a hint of lime followed by broad Apple notes

Granny Smith apple moderately creamy. This progressing to fairly light butter and some moderate Oak

This was not my particular style but I don't like many chards. For a chard it was decent.

But not an oak monster?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bhodilee wrote:But not an oak monster?

Oak was there but not overbearing at all. I like significant oak sometimes but never in Chardonnay.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

The numbers and cooperage look promising on these. Interested to hear more tasting notes...

brightgreen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brightgreen

I tried the Wente Clone at the Hallowoot tasting. The nose had an interesting flavor of creamy cheesecake, with a hint of banana and lemon. The palate still had cheesecake notes, with a touch of lemon and ripe apple. Despite these flavor notes, it wasn't too sweet. It had a dry finish and was balanced and reasonably interesting.

The Wente Clone is not my style for a chardonnay (I prefer fruity unoaked flavors), but it still doesn't have the heavy oak-butter feel of a traditional new world chardonnay. It's somewhere solidly in between no oak and extremely oaked in terms of style.

bhodilee

cmaldoon wrote:Oak was there but not overbearing at all. I like significant oak sometimes but never in Chardonnay.

Ever use Chard in an apple pie? I bet that'd be good. I do a grilled fruit honey viognier toss that's excellent. Not enough white wines in desserts.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

brightgreen wrote:I tried the Wente Clone at the Hallowoot tasting. The nose had an interesting flavor of creamy cheesecake, with a hint of banana and lemon. The palate still had cheesecake notes, with a touch of lemon and ripe apple. Despite these flavor notes, it wasn't too sweet. It had a dry finish and was balanced and reasonably interesting.

The Wente Clone is not my style for a chardonnay (I prefer fruity unoaked flavors), but it still doesn't have the heavy oak-butter feel of a traditional new world chardonnay. It's somewhere solidly in between no oak and extremely oaked in terms of style.

Totally digging the color! Congrats on not being invisible anymore.

angellfow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angellfow

So should I stop holding my breath for Virginia to ever get back on the shipping list again?

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Thinking about these... a little confused about the butter and oak comments on the Wente since it is unoaked and does not got through MLF...however even the winery notes suggest it does have a nice richness to it.. hmmmmmm...

aged in neutral oak...maybe that's it...wonder how old the barrels were...

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

I'm in Sweden and my tasting notes are in California. Hmmm...

My recollection of the Anaba wines was that I preferred the Wente Clone above the other(s). All the Chards we tasted that night had time in oak, and I thought this was the nicest balance of the bunch. Maybe not quite the perfect poise of Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay, but a solid offering for those who don't mind a touch of oak in the Chardonnay.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
angellfow wrote:So should I stop holding my breath for Virginia to ever get back on the shipping list again?

I hope someone is working on it-something about a new law barring third party shipment of wine-we can still get it direct from a winery but not third hand. Sigh. My husband is rejoicing but I am going to miss getting to try so many new (to me) and different wines. Now all I can do is lurk.

anabawines

quality posts: 3 Private Messages anabawines
Cesare wrote:Anaba Wines 2009 Chardonnay Sampler 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $147.55) 56% off List Price
2009 Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast, Wente Clone
2009 Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast
CT links above

Winery website

Thanks Cesare

anabawines

klezman wrote:I'm in Sweden and my tasting notes are in California. Hmmm...

My recollection of the Anaba wines was that I preferred the Wente Clone above the other(s). All the Chards we tasted that night had time in oak, and I thought this was the nicest balance of the bunch. Maybe not quite the perfect poise of Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay, but a solid offering for those who don't mind a touch of oak in the Chardonnay.

Glad to hear you appreciate the balance! We love how the fruit comes through in this wine.

anabawines

bhodilee wrote:Ever use Chard in an apple pie? I bet that'd be good. I do a grilled fruit honey viognier toss that's excellent. Not enough white wines in desserts.

We agree! Enjoy!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

nealkb wrote:Neil, I thought this was going to be offered with the Gap's crown?

Yes, the Gap's crown was a candidate but dropped out late. What remains are two wines that are very well crafted, from top shelf vineyard sources at an unusually low price.

A classic example of a well balanced ultra premium California Chardonnay.

Very glad to have Anaba winery here.

anabawines

Anaba Winemaker here: Regarding the question on barrel age, all barrels were three years old. It is my belief that the richness and what may be perceived as barrel influence in this wine is from the very nature of the Wente clone grape. This clone is the darling of winemakers because of its stand-only qualities. Berries and clusters are small, packed with intense flavors, and as they ripen take on an intriguing spice component. No oak and ML necessary here.

kaolis wrote:Thinking about these... a little confused about the butter and oak comments on the Wente since it is unoaked and does not got through MLF...however even the winery notes suggest it does have a nice richness to it.. hmmmmmm...

aged in neutral oak...maybe that's it...wonder how old the barrels were...

anabawines

redwinefan wrote:I've really enjoyed some Anaba wines, but I've never tried their Chardonnays. Definitely am interested in this.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed our wines. Our style is consistent and I think you will enjoy the Chardonnays as well. What has been your favorite Anaba wine?

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

From the woot tasting: 'Nose of butterscotch, apricot jam and apple. Palate of apricot and apple with some mineral and moderate oak on the finish. Powerful, yet elegant and refreshing.'

These notes were for the Sonoma Coast Chard on my tasting sheet. Everybody else posted notes for the Wente clone, which I do not have notes for. Did we taste the Sonoma Coast Chard or did I write my notes under the wrong wine?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ajrod27 wrote:From the woot tasting: 'Nose of butterscotch, apricot jam and apple. Palate of apricot and apple with some mineral and moderate oak on the finish. Powerful, yet elegant and refreshing.'

These notes were for the Sonoma Coast Chard on my tasting sheet. Everybody else posted notes for the Wente clone, which I do not have notes for. Did we taste the Sonoma Coast Chard or did I write my notes under the wrong wine?

you did. and thanks for jumping in and sharing.

josial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josial

I've had Anaba wines both at their tasting room & the Eighth Street Wineries events. I enjoy them very much and will be in for this offer. I like their Coriol Rhone blends (red & white) the best.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Soooo...... salted caramels tomorrow? I am on a SIWBM, not a SIFDSSCBM.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

anabawines

josial wrote:I've had Anaba wines both at their tasting room & the Eighth Street Wineries events. I enjoy them very much and will be in for this offer. I like their Coriol Rhone blends (red & white) the best.

Thanks for coming to the winery and tasting room. Happy to hear you are enjoying the wines!

diman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages diman

Some wines they ship to Connecticut, and those that I want to buy they don't. How strange... The "Place Order" button is not disabled though, but I guess I should not click on it. (sigh)