Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

** delivered by thanksgiving**

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
WilfBrim wrote:I need some opinions here. I will be getting married in February, and one of my (few) responsibilities is to pick and supply the wine. I've been poking around here and there, and nothing much has caught my eye yet. I'm thinking that this may suit for the red. The guests will be mixed, but generally some inexperieced palates. Thoughts?

Personally the alcohol content, at 15.3% would give me pause to serve at a wedding where folks can have a tendency to drink freely.

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
dmallette wrote:I'm fairly torn on this one. Love the price, need an everyday drinker, but am worried about the mixed reviews. I've never seen reviews/comments about a wine so different.

To anyone that has tried this wine: With the spirit of today's election, does this wine get your vote? Would you buy/drink it again? ;-)

A few points to make here:

First off, viognier is co-fermented with syrah for a couple of potential reasons - color stability; aromatic 'kick'; tradition; interplantings. There is no 'rule' as to how much viognier can or should be included in this, and I know some wineries that co-ferment or add up to 15% to achieve what they want to. If truly co-fermented (ie you ferment the syrah and viognier together), you get the potential for greater color stability along with the potential for floral/violet aromatics and perhaps a 'softening' of the wine. If blended after fermentation, which is the case here, you won't get the color stability, but very well may get the other benefits.

As far as some finding this tannic and others soft, it may very well come down to understanding tannin AND understanding differences in palates. If one is 'bitter adverse', one may find things 'bitter and tannic' at much lower levels than someone who is not bitter adverse. How would you know? One way to generalize - if you have to drink your coffee with a good amount of cream in it, you probably don't like overtly bitter things . . . and if you drink it like me (black with 2 shots of espresso), you probably don't mind bitter/tannic things and therefore a bigger bolder red may still be 'smooth' whereas it will definitely not be that way to a bitter averse person.

Make sense? Sorry if I'm not that clear - just jumped on quickly while getting the kids ready for school (-:

Cheers

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
WilfBrim wrote:I need some opinions here. I will be getting married in February, and one of my (few) responsibilities is to pick and supply the wine. I've been poking around here and there, and nothing much has caught my eye yet. I'm thinking that this may suit for the red. The guests will be mixed, but generally some inexperieced palates. Thoughts?

For inexperienced palates, I'd go for something simpler and fruitier than this wine. This wine takes a bit more thinking.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
kaolis wrote:Personally the alcohol content, at 15.3% would give me pause to serve at a wedding where folks can have a tendency to drink freely.

This totally depends upon how much folks will be drinking . . . and you would have to consume a lot to 'feel' the difference between a 14.5 and 15.3 wine (and by the way, the actual alcs on the two wines actually could be the same based on labeling laws . . . .)

Cheers

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:?..Light ruby, not a dark one here, but nice and clear. The Viognier definitely present in the nose, along with typical Syrah notes with just the slightest touch of methanol despite the low ABV.

Quite pleasant actually, not at all a heavy Syrah, but more in a Pinot style. Light fruit notes nicely balanced with with a bit of wood and a medium finish. To me not at all heavy as others have commented. Not sure I've ever had a Syrah-Viognier blend before, so I never did really ever figure this one

...this tasting note pretty much echoes mine. I found it to be 'Grenache-y' in terms of light bodied and a lite layer of spiciness and a floral note.

I plan on opening a bottle this AM at the office after hitting the voting booth and will post some 'live/on-the-spot' tasting notes from WD, the office and myself.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559
cmaldoon wrote:The mcCleans make some fantastic syrahs.

This is a Syrah blend and it isn't as good as their reserve syrahs but then again when the syrahs are going for $25 or $16 a bottle and these are going for less than $8, the proposition changes.

My notes from the Hallowoot tasting:

Nose: hint of cheese (Gouda?), hint of oak, good acidity. Not fruity like many wines, very interesting.

The palate was mainly a light mocha flavor, significantly simpler than their syrahs.

This is an interesting deal, the price point is fantastic.....hmmmm....

Sounds terrible.

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

Yes, it is cheap but
Alcohol too high
ph too high
Likely not a good food wine.

Easy pass

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:...this tasting note pretty much echoes mine. I found it to be 'Grenache-y' in terms of light bodied and a lite layer of spiciness and a floral note.

I plan on opening a bottle this AM at the office after hitting the voting booth and will post some 'live/on-the-spot' tasting notes from WD, the office and myself.
rjquillin wrote:despite the low ABV.

I did amend the "low" comment by removing it. I had transposed 15.3 to 13.5 ABV. The methanol nose more in line with the 15.3 ABV. Makes a difference.

CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
neilfindswine wrote:.

Have a great time rocking the vote - we look forward to those notes!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

On Election Day, I hope that a wine that is red and white doesn't make me blue. In for one.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
true559 wrote:Sounds terrible.

It certainly wasn't. All of the McLean wines stand out to my palate for not being purely fruit driven. I get a ton of other flavors off of them and find them all intriguing. This wasn't as good as their syrahs but is still great at this pricepoint.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

mblesso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mblesso

Long time wooter, first time wine woot poster.

Just wanted to say I am in for one......well 12.

-Matthew

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets

I wish it were a cofermented Rhone blend but at this price a blended wine like this is probably better than you could get at TJ's. In for 1

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

kellymcclean

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kellymcclean

Helloooo Wooters! Here we go again on this great election day! As to reasons behind our maddens on this wine, we actually have family down under in Sydney and they were saying how they started mixing Syrahs and Viognier and we though "hummm, interesting concept" So, wanting to do something different and fun, here is it!

We know you are use to our big bold reds, but we thought we would tone it down a little for those who bat for the other side. If you looking for something a little more docile then this is it. The Viognier balances the Syrah extremely well for a nice subtle blend of both worlds.

We haven't released this to the public yet and though what a better way then election day. Especially with all that my father has done for the service!

I'll be checking in though out the day so if there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

- Kelly McClean

inkycatz

kellymcclean wrote:Helloooo Wooters! Here we go again on this great election day! As to reasons behind our maddens on this wine, we actually have family down under in Sydney and they were saying how they started mixing Syrahs and Viognier and we though "hummm, interesting concept" So, wanting to do something different and fun, here is it!

We know you are use to our big bold reds, but we thought we would tone it down a little for those who bat for the other side. If you looking for something a little more docile then this is it. The Viognier balances the Syrah extremely well for a nice subtle blend of both worlds.

We haven't released this to the public yet and though what a better way then election day. Especially with all that my father has done for the service!

I'll be checking in though out the day so if there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

- Kelly McClean

Happy election day! Thanks for coming by for questions.

kellymcclean

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kellymcclean

Hello WilfBrim! First off, Congrats on the future nuptials! If you are looking for a big bold red then sadly i would say this isn't probably the best pick. But for something that is a little more docile that everyone could enjoy then I would say this is right up your alley. Our Syrah are generally heavy hitters on the pallet but the Viognier really brings some soft, sweet tannins to the table. It really depends on what you are looking for, but I would say this is a pretty great bet, especially for the price!

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
neilfindswine wrote:...this tasting note pretty much echoes mine. I found it to be 'Grenache-y' in terms of light bodied and a lite layer of spiciness and a floral note.

Ditto. I actually thought this *was* a grenache when I tried it at the SoCal gathering. Really nice nose, plummy and floral (I'm assuming the floral notes were coming from the Viognier). Berries, and a bit more plum on the palate, with a little spice and wood. Don't remember it having much of a finish. I liked it on the whole, and for $8/bottle this is really a nice QPR purchase.

Would be in for 1, but alas I lack the cellar space to accommodate a full case at the moment.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rnatalie wrote:Actually you can't. The Virginia legislature/governor races are in the off years. Only things on the ballot here are President, one Senator and House of Representatives seat as well as a few ballot questions (two statewide constitutional amendments).

your state really does suck

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

your job does not suck. I'm on the verge of cracking open the vodka in the fridge here.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Ok, in spite of the strange looks I got from my co-workers for pulling out the corkscrew at 10Am, live tasting report, as promised. Mind you, I asked everyone to rinse their mouths out to get rid of toothpaste and coffee residual...

To start with, I agree with an earlier comment that this is night and day from McClean's big, dark, brooding Syrahs that I love. Totally different wine...

The nose has some red fruit- cherries and a little plum, enveloped in the sweet baking spice notes that I love. A little heat on the nose as well.

On the palate, the red fruits are quietly present a bit of a citrus note on the mid-palate and kiss of spice on the finish. It's a light-bodied wine with a 'pretty' layer of floral complexity, if you will.

Not sure about food paring- something light; pork or chicken methinks. Nothing too big or bold. This is a wine I'd happily open any day of the week for $7.50 a bottle.

Other comments in the office- well-rounded, balanced, 'a great fall sipper, no food required'. A great value at this price.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bhodilee wrote:your job does not suck. I'm on the verge of cracking open the vodka in the fridge here.

Is wine one of the four food groups? I mean, sometimes, a snack between breakfast and lunch is a good thing, right?

efoxvog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages efoxvog

Happy E-Day to you all. Still mixed after reading all the comments, but what the heck! Going for it!

need4mospd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages need4mospd
Winedavid39 wrote:** delivered by thanksgiving**

Sold. I'm gonna need at least a case of something drinkable to get me through that week.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

neilfindswine wrote:Ok, in spite of the strange looks I got from my co-workers for pulling out the corkscrew at 10Am, live tasting report, as promised. Mind you, I asked everyone to rinse their mouths out to get rid of toothpaste and coffee residual...

To start with, I agree with an earlier comment that this is night and day from McClean's big, dark, brooding Syrahs that I love. Totally different wine...

The nose has some red fruit- cherries and a little plum, enveloped in the sweet baking spice notes that I love. A little heat on the nose as well.

On the palate, the red fruits are quietly present a bit of a citrus note on the mid-palate and kiss of spice on the finish. It's a light-bodied wine with a 'pretty' layer of floral complexity, if you will.

Not sure about food paring- something light; pork or chicken methinks. Nothing too big or bold. This is a wine I'd happily open any day of the week for $7.50 a bottle.

Other comments in the office- well-rounded, balanced, 'a great fall sipper, no food required'. A great value at this price.

Right there with Neil on this.

Clearly a well made wine. No shenanigans in making it (we taste our share of shenanigans). Enjoyable mid pallet but not the long lingering finish that we've come to enjoy with McClean Syrah. Though i don't think that's the intention of this wine. The alcohol has blown off and now revealing the oak (butterscotch on the nose). Hard to categorize, must be the unusual viognier influence. Overall an intriguing departure and very very good QPR.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Winedavid39 wrote:Right there with Neil on this.

Clearly a well made wine. No shenanigans in making it (we taste our share of shenanigans). Enjoyable mid pallet but not the long lingering finish that we've come to enjoy with McClean Syrah. Though i don't think that's the intention of this wine. The alcohol has blown off and now revealing the oak (butterscotch on the nose). Hard to categorize, must be the unusual viognier influence. Overall an intriguing departure and very very good QPR.

Did WD just post a tasting note!? What is going on?!?!?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:Did WD just post a tasting note!? What is going on?!?!?

at 11 am no less. And he patiently waited for the alcohol to blow off, and re-visited.

It's going to be either a very productive day here today, or... not so much. Could go either way.

inkycatz

neilfindswine wrote:at 11 am no less. And he patiently waited for the alcohol to blow off, and re-visited.

It's going to be either a very productive day here today, or... not so much. Could go either way.

All depends on how you define "productive"!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
neilfindswine wrote:Ok, in spite of the strange looks I got from my co-workers for pulling out the corkscrew at 10Am, live tasting report, as promised. Mind you, I asked everyone to rinse their mouths out to get rid of toothpaste and coffee residual...

Your notes do sound quite "Grenache-y". I would be in for one, but I bought too much wine yesterday on Woot Plus.

Thanks to everyone for the notes.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

inkycatz wrote:All depends on how you define "productive"!

I'm back to coffee... we'll see where the afternoon takes us.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Did WD just post a tasting note!? What is going on?!?!?

Clearly a shill at this time of the morning..

CT

dmallette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmallette

Ok, you guys helped me out tremendously! The comparisons to Grenache along with the further descriptions of the taste, finish, ect... give me enough confidence to pull the trigger on this offering!

I'm in for 1! (at this price I have a feeling I'm going to kick myself for not buying two!)

Thanks again everyone!

fuzzball59

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzball59

I just got off the phone with Mike McClean. I sent an email with a couple of questions about his grapes and his process. I didn't expect a phone call back but in just a couple hours that's what I got. Very nice guy and is very eager to talk about his wine making. His is a very small, hands on operation, he specializes in Syrah grapes---describes his process as growing the grapes on his property, they squeeze the juice, cask it, bottle it and let it sit for a couple of years and are very proud of the result. Said he doesn't fool around with any colorant juice additions or any additions at all. I didn't ask if he grows the Viognier grapes, but I read they are known to thrive in Central California. I'm going to pull the trigger on a case and plan to enjoy it with our Thanksgiving guests.

kylemittskus

fuzzball59 wrote:I just got off the phone with Mike McClean. I sent an email with a couple of questions about his grapes and his process. I didn't expect a phone call back but in just a couple hours that's what I got. Very nice guy and is very eager to talk about his wine making. His is a very small, hands on operation, he specializes in Syrah grapes---describes his process as growing the grapes on his property, they squeeze the juice, cask it, bottle it and let it sit for a couple of years and are very proud of the result. Said he doesn't fool around with any colorant juice additions or any additions at all. I didn't ask if he grows the Viognier grapes, but I read they are known to thrive in Central California. I'm going to pull the trigger on a case and plan to enjoy it with our Thanksgiving guests.

You should have posted all of those questions here! Nevertheless, great info.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
Winedavid39 wrote:Right there with Neil on this.

Thanks for the report guys! Would you say this ofering resembles a Santa Ynez Grenache in weight and style? I love SY Grenache and this sounds like it might be along those lines...Thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Anyone know the case production?

"The older I get the better I was"

fuzzball59

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzball59
kylemittskus wrote:You should have posted all of those questions here! Nevertheless, great info.

Right. What was I thinking, going right to the source and all.

kylemittskus

fuzzball59 wrote:Right. What was I thinking, going right to the source and all.

FYI: from the specs page, the Viogner came from Paso.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for the report guys! Would you say this ofering resembles a Santa Ynez Grenache in weight and style? I love SY Grenache and this sounds like it might be along those lines...Thanks

...in the neighborhood, but brighter/lighter... less spicy, more floral.. (it's that darn Viognier).

bhodilee

fuzzball59 wrote:Right. What was I thinking, going right to the source and all.

This level of efficiency leads me to believe you don't work in government.