WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ardente Estate Winery

Listen we've seen a lot of pirate jokes in our time, and we're pretty much done with them. But when a winery goes and calls itself "Ardente," it's pretty much impossible for us to not mention that pirates prefer their pasta cooked "Arr Dente." We're not proud of if, but they basically FORCED us to make that joke. 



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1584 Private Messages Cesare

Ardente Estate Winery

Ardente Espressione 1997 Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $152.90) 54% off List Price
1997 Ardente Espressione Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak Napa Valley

Ardente Espressione 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $122.20) 51% off List Price
2001 Ardente Espressione Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak, Napa Valley

Ardente 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $122.20) 51% off List Price
2002 Ardente Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak, Napa Valley

Ardente Estate Library Cab Mix 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $132.20) 55% off List Price
1997 Ardente Espressione Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak Napa Valley
2001 Ardente Espressione Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak, Napa Valley
2002 Ardente Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak, Napa Valley

Previous offer: 10/8/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

schaeferr


quality posts: 6 Private Messages schaeferr

My wife and I had purchased the '97, '01, '02 library when it was on woot earlier this fall. I found out last Thursday that I'd passed the bar exam, so we cracked open the '97 to celebrate... It was awesome.

I'm in for the win on another '97, '01, '02 library.

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

had the 97 a couple of weeks ago and it was great. contemplating getting 3 this time.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

lorf


quality posts: 4 Private Messages lorf

I got the mixed pack when it was offered a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the 97 the most, followed by the 2002, and finally the 2001. All three were fairly good, but the 97 really stood out.

If I didn't run out of wine storage space I'd order 3 of the 97, instead I'll settle for one.

melaniestl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melaniestl

I also purchased the vertical last time. The '97 had a weird film just below the neck that started to break up as air got to it. I tried it before I noticed the film. Needless to say, nasty stuff. woot offered a partial refund, but I'm nervous to order it again.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
schaeferr wrote:I found out last Thursday that I'd passed the bar exam



Woah, hey didn't want this to sneak by without a hearty GRATS!

I'm just hanging out, really.

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Ordered 2x the vertical when this was on normal wine.woot, but haven't had any yet. Maybe I'll have to crack a bottle tonight to see if any merit an additional purchase.

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
schaeferr wrote:My wife and I had purchased the '97, '01, '02 library when it was on woot earlier this fall. I found out last Thursday that I'd passed the bar exam, so we cracked open the '97 to celebrate... It was awesome.

I'm in for the win on another '97, '01, '02 library.



Nice, props out to you.
I ordered 3 of the mixed and holy moley some good stuff, I will most likey go for 3 more. or might just get 3 of the "97" 3 packs. Hummmmm

Winedavid39


quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

schaeferr wrote:My wife and I had purchased the '97, '01, '02 library when it was on woot earlier this fall. I found out last Thursday that I'd passed the bar exam, so we cracked open the '97 to celebrate... It was awesome.

I'm in for the win on another '97, '01, '02 library.



CONGRATS !

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

I bought the 97,01,02 library last time. The 97 was absolutely repulsive. It had an aroma of some sort of decayed matter, almost as if it had been in the bottle too long. The 01 and 02 were good.

cortot20


quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I have seen a few issued with the 97', is there possibly a storage issue with these?

CT

nealkb


quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

Jus an FYI. Cinderella wine has a 2004 ardente featured today.
Cheers

Neal K Bharadwaj

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Sounds like there is some significant difference of opinion here..

Significant bottle variation or simply taste?

I ordered 2 of the mixed packs last time but have not yet tried.

It appears to be a great deal and would like to buy more. Can someone compare to some other recent great Woot cabs?

Corison? Raised by Wolves? Meeker?

I know Mr. Rinaldi has an opinion on this...

Is it broke or just fractured?

schaeferr


quality posts: 6 Private Messages schaeferr
Winedavid39 wrote:CONGRATS !



inkycatz wrote:Woah, hey didn't want this to sneak by without a hearty GRATS!



Thanks for the kind words, y'all! It has a been a fun weekend, but my liver is pissed.

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

I went in for the trio of '97s after trying the 97 from the original w.w Ardente Library offer. Great wine and very worth it at this price. I see some had unfortunate luck with their bottle of 1997 - that sucks. Mine was very good, good enough for round 2! Wonderful, aged earthy nose. Drank very easily, mellow-mid fruits (cherry, currant). Personally, I would recommend drinking it now.

Don't have room for it but I'll figure it out. If given the opportunity to purchase this again, I think I would probably be asked to pay in excess of the $25/bottle being offered through this deal.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
true559 wrote:I bought the 97,01,02 library last time. The 97 was absolutely repulsive. It had an aroma of some sort of decayed matter, almost as if it had been in the bottle too long. The 01 and 02 were good.



At this age, wines will start showing more and more variation. There will be more flawed bottles out there.

Additionally, some wines need to breathe a while after being in the bottle for 10+ years. The bottle funk often blows off within 30 min but I have known it to take an hour or two.

Lastly, depending on one's experience, an old bottle tastes funny just because it is old. Not everyone will like it. It is not going to be young and packed with fruit.

I have had both the 1997 and the 2001 from when this was up before. The 97 was good solid aged cab. Tons of leather and spice with not much fruit left. The 01 was beautiful with a fantastic balance of fruit to spice to leather. We drank half a bottle over each of 2 days and it was better the second day!

Hmmmm... How many am I in for? Another 2 sets? CAgirl... Are you interested? I'd love to split shipping...

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
cmaldoon wrote:At this age, wines will start showing more and more variation. There will be more flawed bottles out there.

Additionally, some wines need to breathe a while after being in the bottle for 10+ years. The bottle funk often blows off within 30 min but I have known it to take an hour or two.

Lastly, depending on one's experience, an old bottle tastes funny just because it is old. Not everyone will like it. It is not going to be young and packed with fruit.

I have had both the 1997 and the 2001 from when this was up before. The 97 was good solid aged cab. Tons of leather and spice with not much fruit left. The 01 was beautiful with a fantastic balance of fruit to spice to leather. We drank half a bottle over each of 2 days and it was better the second day!

Hmmmm... How many am I in for? Another 2 sets? CAgirl... Are you interested? I'd love to split shipping...



This is all true! This wine is aged for sure and the longer you allow it to breath the better it will be. It definitely will have a different taste than a wine from the past ten years, but that does not mean it is bad! I highly suggest decanting it for a few hours and even revisiting it the following day. The 01 and 02 can be enjoyed right from the bottle, but again I always suggest letting an older wine like these breathe a bit. Thank you for your feedback and enjoy! Cheers, Angela

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
schaeferr wrote:My wife and I had purchased the '97, '01, '02 library when it was on woot earlier this fall. I found out last Thursday that I'd passed the bar exam, so we cracked open the '97 to celebrate... It was awesome.

I'm in for the win on another '97, '01, '02 library.



Congrats to you! That is quite a feat. Glad to hear that Ardente could be a part of your celebration!! We are grateful for your business. Cheers

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
bkarlan wrote:had the 97 a couple of weeks ago and it was great. contemplating getting 3 this time.



How many 97 Napa Valley Cabs can you get at this price and at this quality? Just sayin! Glad you enjoyed and hope you enjoy again. Cheers, Angela

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
lorf wrote:I got the mixed pack when it was offered a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the 97 the most, followed by the 2002, and finally the 2001. All three were fairly good, but the 97 really stood out.

If I didn't run out of wine storage space I'd order 3 of the 97, instead I'll settle for one.



Sorry to hear you are out of storage. I agree that the 97 is quite a stand out wine and proof that Ardente makes wines to age! I have been giving it as gifts for special occasions. People are always impressed when they see Napa Valley and the year 1997

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
bkarlan wrote:had the 97 a couple of weeks ago and it was great. contemplating getting 3 this time.



Might is well! Life is short and these wines will be gone soon! Cheers and thank you for your support, Angela

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
melaniestl wrote:I also purchased the vertical last time. The '97 had a weird film just below the neck that started to break up as air got to it. I tried it before I noticed the film. Needless to say, nasty stuff. woot offered a partial refund, but I'm nervous to order it again.



I am so sorry to hear that your 97 was a disappointment. It probably needed to be decanted and allow some of that sediment to settle. I am happy to hear that woot made things right! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Thanks for giving us a try!

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
true559 wrote:I bought the 97,01,02 library last time. The 97 was absolutely repulsive. It had an aroma of some sort of decayed matter, almost as if it had been in the bottle too long. The 01 and 02 were good.



Wow. This is truly disappointing to hear! I am so sorry that your experience was not a positive one. Unfortunately, I have not had that experience with any of the 97s I have opened. This does not mean anything though because the wine is older and some bottles may have gone array I suppose. Is there anything we can do to make this right with you? Thanks, Angela

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
jawlz wrote:Ordered 2x the vertical when this was on normal wine.woot, but haven't had any yet. Maybe I'll have to crack a bottle tonight to see if any merit an additional purchase.



Do it! What are you waiting for? ;) Cheers!

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
cortot20 wrote:I have seen a few issued with the 97', is there possibly a storage issue with these?



Definitely not a storage issue. It definitely could be a matter of personal taste as older wines won't be quite as fruit forward as the '01 or '02....Honestly, I had never heard any negative feedback from anyone on the 97 until now

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
tdedek wrote:I went in for the trio of '97s after trying the 97 from the original w.w Ardente Library offer. Great wine and very worth it at this price. I see some had unfortunate luck with their bottle of 1997 - that sucks. Mine was very good, good enough for round 2! Wonderful, aged earthy nose. Drank very easily, mellow-mid fruits (cherry, currant). Personally, I would recommend drinking it now.

Don't have room for it but I'll figure it out. If given the opportunity to purchase this again, I think I would probably be asked to pay in excess of the $25/bottle being offered through this deal.



Thanks for your feedback and support! I have a feeling some of the unpleasant feedback is merely a difference in taste. Older wines are not for everyone's palate and that is OK Glad that you will enjoy again! Cheers, Angela

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
fredrinaldi wrote:Nice, props out to you.
I ordered 3 of the mixed and holy moley some good stuff, I will most likey go for 3 more. or might just get 3 of the "97" 3 packs. Hummmmm



Thank you, thank you! I agree that the 97 is like woah! Amazing when we had it a few weeks ago to celebrate my son's 2nd birthday. Adults need to have fun at a jumpy house party too, right? ;) Cheers, Angela

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner

Hey Wooters! I will be logging in throughout the week to answer any questions or feedback. For those who are coming back for round two we thank you for your support! Cheers my friends, Angela

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ardentevintner wrote:Hey Wooters! I will be logging in throughout the week to answer any questions or feedback. For those who are coming back for round two we thank you for your support! Cheers my friends, Angela



Thanks for being so present, Angela. It makes supporting your winery that much easier.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner
kylemittskus wrote:Thanks for being so present, Angela. It makes supporting your winery that much easier.



Of course! Thank you for supporting Ardente and Wine.Woot!

ardentevintner


quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner

Very good! Funny funny as always

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

WD, you are killing me!

Angela,
Aged is good...
Can you estimate how much life is left in the three?

CT

xibbumbero


quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero
ardentevintner wrote:Definitely not a storage issue. It definitely could be a matter of personal taste as older wines won't be quite as fruit forward as the '01 or '02....Honestly, I had never heard any negative feedback from anyone on the 97 until now



I'm wondering if shipping is the issue and how far these have to travel. X

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Oh man this is a seven day offer, I may be in BIG trouble, Bought 1 three pack of the 97 and 3 of the three pack of the Estate Library Cab.
I'm telling the wife some is for gift's, THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TOO IT!

To the one's who asked, IMHO it's better than "Raised by Wolf's" (still have a case) and right up there, maybe a little ahead of my all time fav. "Rockus Bockus"

Funny thing I still have 7 Bottles of the Estate Library Cab from the last offer on Oct. 8th

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:WD, you are killing me!

Angela,
Aged is good...
Can you estimate how much life is left in the three?



How old do you like your cabs? The ones I had we're in their prime. The 01 perhaps has a bit more up side and the 97 perhaps just beginning a slide PER MY PALATE. But neither is going anywhere downhill fast. The better question would be why keep them longer? The stuff is tasty and prime. I plan to drink all of mine within a year or two and let all of my young stuff get a bit more age.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:How old do you like your cabs? The better question would be why keep them longer? The stuff is tasty and prime. I plan to drink all of mine within a year or two and let all of my young stuff get a bit more age.


Aged is good. I do still have some purchased at release from the 70's and 80's.
The more important issue, how many to buy, hence, how long might they hold up.
If they ~should~ be consumed within a couple years, not so much; if longer, ouch!

CT

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Aged is good. I do still have some purchased at release from the 70's and 80's.
The more important issue, how many to buy, hence, how long might they hold up.
If they ~should~ be consumed within a couple years, not so much; if longer, ouch!



These have AT Least 5 years of prime left before they will have fallen off greatly. The 2001 had significant fruit and some tannin, it likely has 10 years at least. Once again, based on preferences. I'm recommending these to all of my friends and getting more myself.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

mibuwolf83


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83

I've been following Ardente Winery for a year now after seeing the '01 and '02 at Shoppers Vineyard and the '04 at Wine Library. Was Phillipe Melka the winemaker for the '97, '01 and '02 vintages and is he currently making wine for the upcoming vintages as well? Is the winery closing out the above vintages to make room for newer ones? You guys are staying in business, right?

Well, pay day is Thursday so I think I will be making a purchase of the vertical then. I can't wait to try 'em! It's a great opportunity to experience an aged wine from California and learn more about my palate.

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
ardentevintner wrote:How many 97 Napa Valley Cabs can you get at this price and at this quality? Just sayin! Glad you enjoyed and hope you enjoy again. Cheers, Angela



I will be in for 1 woot of the 97 tomorrow when the new offers go up across the board to maximize my $5 shipping.

Thanks for being so helpful on the boards today.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill