2008 Socré Barbaresco Roncaglie
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
3/17/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

WD and Neil.... Why couldn't we taste THIS at WCC last week? I'm sure we would all have promised to report on this one for extra sure.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cmaldoon wrote:WD and Neil.... Why couldn't we taste THIS at WCC last week? I'm sure we would all have promised to report on this one for extra sure.

Sparky would have broken that promise.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I have had the 07 Socré Barbaresco Roncaglie, in fact it was so good I bought 3 more bottles for the cellar. Great food wine at least the 07. I will jump on this to start a vertical.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:WD and Neil.... Why couldn't we taste THIS at WCC last week? I'm sure we would all have promised to report on this one for extra sure.

Yea, they would have been a solid addition. We went through some wines that night. Thanks again for coming. Let's do it again some time.

brujazz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brujazz

This is very good juice. My concern here is the price. Not a good Woot deal. They're selling it to you pretty much at the price you can get it yourself. You actually can find the 2006 Socre for $25. So buyer beware...

snekse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snekse

Did they really rip off the old Bank of America logo and expect nobody to notice?

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/File:Bank_of_America_old.svg

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:Sparky would have broken that promise.

Naw, he'd have his comments in his tasting book, if only he could find it.

CT

CrystalSinger

quality posts: 7 Private Messages CrystalSinger
snekse wrote:Did they really rip off the old Bank of America logo and expect nobody to notice?

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/File:Bank_of_America_old.svg

Vaguely similar, sure, but hardly "ripped off" ...

T

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559

Too rich for me... I'm out. BTW, what is a feminine wine?

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
brujazz wrote:This is very good juice. My concern here is the price. Not a good Woot deal. They're selling it to you pretty much at the price you can get it yourself. You actually can find the 2006 Socre for $25. So buyer beware...

From CT prices it would appear there isn't much of a discount, if any. Most of the CT entries came through Garagiste so at least Woot is competitive with another non-traditional retailer.

Bottom line is this appears to be a small producer of very good quality. If it's up your alley, it's not going to be widely distributed. This isn't a fungible wine, and the price is what it is.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
gcdyersb wrote:From CT prices it would appear there isn't much of a discount, if any. Most of the CT entries came through Garagiste so at least Woot is competitive with another non-traditional retailer.

Bottom line is this appears to be a small producer of very good quality. If it's up your alley, it's not going to be widely distributed. This isn't a fungible wine, and the price is what it is.

Not sure why my post was deleted, but here it goes again. Garagiste's shipping is also not $5/order. In fact, I've found his shipping charges prohibitive. By the way, nice to see you hanging around these parts again, GC.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

true559 wrote:Too rich for me... I'm out. BTW, what is a feminine wine?

Wine snob speak for lacks rough or harsh tannins, elegant, not brooding, etc.

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:Wine snob speak for lacks rough or harsh tannins, elegant, not brooding, etc.

So attractive in the bottle that all you can think about is how you are going to manage to get it in your glass. Then when you finally do, you drink it too fast and fall asleep as soon as it's done. The next day, you wish you had some more but can't find the slip of paper where you wrote down its name.

kylemittskus

chipgreen wrote:So attractive in the bottle that all you can think about is how you are going to manage to get it in your glass. Then when you finally do, you drink it too fast and fall asleep as soon as it's done. The next day, you wish you had some more but can't find the slip of paper where you wrote down its name.

Absolutely fantastic post!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:Absolutely fantastic post!

+1

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:So attractive in the bottle that all you can think about is how you are going to manage to get it in your glass. Then when you finally do, you drink it too fast and fall asleep as soon as it's done. The next day, you wish you had some more but can't find the slip of paper where you wrote down its name.

TREAT! quality!
[edit] arrrgh, woot filters "Q" "P" --> "TREAT" Where's the Horror??

CT

gjmonevine

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjmonevine
brujazz wrote:This is very good juice. My concern here is the price. Not a good Woot deal. They're selling it to you pretty much at the price you can get it yourself. You actually can find the 2006 Socre for $25. So buyer beware...

HI All, I thought I'd chime in on pricing and value. Socre is a tiny production of premium nebbiolo in Barbaresco. Hillside vineyards, jaw dropping scenery, artisanal family production and only a small amount imported into the US. Galloni considers this to be a hot, up and coming, young estate worth knowing and trying. The price comparison should not be what one online discounter from last vintage is price posting. Often, I find online discount retailers don't even have the wines they are advertising in stock. If you want to know the value of this deal and this wine, you need know this: Socre family has for many, many years been a supplier to Angelo Gaja who used the fruit in his Barbaresco which retails from $250-300. The Gaja Sori Tildin vineyard is a stones throw from the Socre vineyard and that wine sells for $350-400. So, the question you should be asking yourself is whether the Gaja wine is worth 10x as much as the offer on the table today. Having tasted a lot of Barbaresco, I can assure you that the answer is no. These are gorgeous wines and the offer today is a better deal than you can find anywhere in the US. Identifying a value proposition is deeper than a quick online price search.
You'll just have to try to wines to know for yourself.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Ciao gjmonevine. Would you recommend cellaring these wines and if so for how long?

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
true559 wrote:Too rich for me... I'm out. BTW, what is a feminine wine?

Wine with a vagina.

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:TREAT! quality!
[edit] arrrgh, woot filters "Q" "P" --> "TREAT" Where's the Horror??

Filters got you coming and going with this post. LOL

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Naw, he'd have his comments in his tasting book, if only he could find it.

FORUM MODERATOR

ohlfahrt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt

Couldn't resist buying a couple sets of these. I'm one of those older fellas whose memories of Italian wine were formed by 1950s Chianti; really neat bottles. But, then I started buying some of the recent offerings and have been greatly impressed!

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:Ciao gjmonevine. Would you recommend cellaring these wines and if so for how long?

These will easily cellar for at least another 5 years. Not sure if they need it, but I guarantee they can.

ltop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ltop

what does the green woot mean?

kylemittskus

ltop wrote:what does the green woot mean?

?

ohlfahrt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt
ltop wrote:what does the green woot mean?

Envy? [invidia]

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii

$45/bottle at Big Hammer Wines, 92 rating. This is an ok, but not great, deal.

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
gcdyersb wrote:From CT prices it would appear there isn't much of a discount, if any. Most of the CT entries came through Garagiste so at least Woot is competitive with another non-traditional retailer.

Crap. I didn't need to know this was also a Rimmerman pick. I tend to like his palate too...but I'd rather buy from WD any day. A couple guys at work get most of their wine from Garagiste so I've been able to sample much of it.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

I felt like poo the last few days, so I went back to look at past woots. For some reason I didn't purchase this and I have no clue why. I am bit, well more than a bit, upset that I didn't purchase this.

If anyone in ABQ or San Diego has a Woot of this they don't want, send me a PM. I will be San Diego for Thanksgiving.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill