Previous offer:
1/26/12
11/10/11
12/30/10
4/2/10

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Check it out:

Woot's goes Mobile! (Finally)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rpr63501

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rpr63501

20 ounces of chocolate for $30? Gimme a break.

treecutie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages treecutie

Mostly dark (not what I like)

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456
rpr63501 wrote:20 ounces of chocolate for $30? Gimme a break.

I've paid $13 for an 8.8 oz container of Droste cocoa powder which works out to approximately the same price per ounce as this. Now, maybe you don't want to pay $1.5 per oz of chocolate, but that does not strike me as extremely out there when it comes to very high end chocolate. (I don't have any experience with this chocolate so I can't say if it is worth it)

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Uh guys, I think you're confused. Halloween was yesterday. candy is supposed to go down in price after halloween.

thomwatson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomwatson

I don't actually think $2.90 per bar is a bad price for good chocolate (I haven't tasted these, so I don't know how good they are). Here's what I don't understand, though: Woot is selling these for $29.99, allegedly 27% off a list price of $41.10. But if you go to the Rain Republic web site, this same ten-pack lists there for $29.00, 99 cents less than Woot's price. And the $29.00 price there isn't listed as a special price or a sale price; that appears to be the regular price.

[MOD: Don't forget to add in shipping.]

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I read through the entire thread from 1/20/12 and the quality posts from the other three offerings, and now I'm drooling!

Do the milk powders or coffee bean powder contain corn?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Gortizjr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Gortizjr
thomwatson wrote:I don't actually think $2.90 per bar is a bad price for good chocolate (I haven't tasted these, so I don't know how good they are). Here's what I don't understand, though: Woot is selling these for $29.99, allegedly 27% off a list price of $41.10. But if you go to the Rain Republic web site, this same ten-pack lists there for $29.00, 99 cents less than Woot's price. And the $29.00 price there isn't listed as a special price or a sale price; that appears to be the regular price.

Yeah, what gives woot?

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
Gortizjr wrote:Yeah, what gives woot?

The shipping on the website is outrageous because the cheapest they offer is FedEx 2-Day. My total for one 10 pack was $46.XX.

Woot has been known to take credit for saving on shipping when the deal wasn't that great. However, they use a list price with shipping, but advertise their savings without showing their own shipping. I think this is pretty shady.

Phoenixg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Phoenixg

The mixed bar pack on their website is NOT THE SAME MIX. Not exactly. Also, while listed in the store, it doesn't actually seem to be available on the website. You can add it to a wish list, but not a cart.

Also, they're still shipping only speed shipping with cold packs - so, yeah 22.94 shipping FedEx2day to TX (home of woot, as an example). - but that will probably change within the next month or so.

So: This offer is still a deal over the website. It also has a mix the website's not offering. And, even when the website ships slower than 2-day, it'll probably still cost more than 6.00 to ship from Guatemala. So the AMOUNT of savings may be off, but this is still definitely savings.

rubish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rubish

Don't forget the shipping...It just keeps getting better!!!

DynamiteDG

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DynamiteDG

Any chance this is kosher?

kwkilcoyne

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwkilcoyne
DynamiteDG wrote:Any chance this is kosher?

The deal, or the chocolate? ;)

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

got this a few yrs back, gave it away, didn't like at all.

primadogga

quality posts: 2 Private Messages primadogga

I ordered their dark a year or two ago on a previous woot and was not impressed - flavor OK - melting point too high so had to chew it up. Green & Black I can often get for less than $3 a bar...

fiftymegatims

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fiftymegatims

I'll stick to my Freia and Marabou.

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis
loveladyelectric wrote:
Woot has been known to take credit for saving on shipping when the deal wasn't that great. However, they use a list price with shipping, but advertise their savings without showing their own shipping. I think this is pretty shady.

This is an excellent point. They need to either change the "List Price" to the actual cost of the product, or call it something else entirely. Calling it a "List Price" and then arbitrarily factoring in potential taxes, shipping charges, etc is so misleading, ESPECIALLY when their own "deal price" doesn't factor in shipping. At best is disingenuous, at worst it is an out-and-out lie!

BTW, I've had this chocolate before. It is pretty darn good, but I'm going to have to pass on this deal based the above. Also, I love the new mobile site!

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia

I ordered a similar mix pack about a year ago when it was offered on Woot. Most of the flavors were quite good (assuming you like dark chocolate), but the chili one was way too spicy to the point of being inedible. That one was "Spicy Chili Cobanero" while this is labeled "Smoky Chili" but it's still Cobanero according to the ingredient list.

If they could replace the chili with the sea salt version in this mix, I would be in.

dalylink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dalylink

My favorite is Trader Joe's Chocolate Palette. http://www.chocablog.com/reviews/trader-joes-chocolate-palette/ I get a few around the holidays and it lasts through the year.

thespiansmc

quality posts: 24 Private Messages thespiansmc
pjfavia wrote:...the chili one was way too spicy to the point of being inedible. That one was "Spicy Chili Cobanero" while this is labeled "Smoky Chili" but it's still Cobanero according to the ingredient list.

While it will not help you as such (and I note I have not used this brand), I like using chili chocolate bars in mole sauces, instead of using cocoa powder; I find it gets a richer and more rounded sort of flavour, since the chocolate has been infused with the chilis, instead of them meeting in my pot ;-)

It might be something to consider if you have any left, or if others find they have the same problem.

captainpooka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainpooka
guzmantis wrote:This is an excellent point. They need to either change the "List Price" to the actual cost of the product, or call it something else entirely. Calling it a "List Price" and then arbitrarily factoring in potential taxes, shipping charges, etc is so misleading, ESPECIALLY when their own "deal price" doesn't factor in shipping. At best is disingenuous, at worst it is an out-and-out lie!

BTW, I've had this chocolate before. It is pretty darn good, but I'm going to have to pass on this deal based the above. Also, I love the new mobile site!

Hey now, out of the hundreds of items I've seen I know that list price has been right at least two or three times...

I've come to just not trusting Woot's "list price". I don't pay attention to it anymore - I google everything by nature now. I wish I didn't have to.

I realize, though, that adding a list price and percent savings can strike up some impulse purchases. I guess I can't blame 'em.

Lassik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lassik

Am I the only one that read this and thought of the KitKat jingle?...

They say I have Attention Deficit Disorder but i don't th.... Ohh look a kitty!

lurkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurkey
guzmantis wrote:This is an excellent point. They need to either change the "List Price" to the actual cost of the product, or call it something else entirely. Calling it a "List Price" and then arbitrarily factoring in potential taxes, shipping charges, etc is so misleading, ESPECIALLY when their own "deal price" doesn't factor in shipping. At best is disingenuous, at worst it is an out-and-out lie!

Agreed. I have definitely stopped buying as much due to their devious tactics.

zoneman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zoneman

Having ordered this or similar items twice, I can confidently say meh.

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma
captainpooka wrote:Hey now, out of the hundreds of items I've seen I know that list price has been right at least two or three times...

I've come to just not trusting Woot's "list price". I don't pay attention to it anymore - I google everything by nature now. I wish I didn't have to.

I realize, though, that adding a list price and percent savings can strike up some impulse purchases. I guess I can't blame 'em.

I blame them. It's misleading, if not outright dishonest, and seems a cynical way to treat customers, as if we are just mindless, open wallets. PMO. Like you, I google everything now.

chocolatemaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages chocolatemaker

Thanks! Listing to your comments from last year, we lowered the spice level of the chile Cobanero a lot and let the flavor of our dark chocolate show through instead. The chile is roasted and ground so that it is subtle and smokey not overwhelming.

pjfavia wrote:I ordered a similar mix pack about a year ago when it was offered on Woot. Most of the flavors were quite good (assuming you like dark chocolate), but the chili one was way too spicy to the point of being inedible. That one was "Spicy Chili Cobanero" while this is labeled "Smoky Chili" but it's still Cobanero according to the ingredient list.

If they could replace the chili with the sea salt version in this mix, I would be in.

chocolatemaker

Thanks for asking. No, there is no corn or corn by products in Rain Republic Chocolate.

neuropsychosocial wrote:I read through the entire thread from 1/20/12 and the quality posts from the other three offerings, and now I'm drooling!

Lairdland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lairdland

This isn't refurbished chocolate, is it?

paulmd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulmd

The chili bars were very strange. Extremely spicy in a very unpleasant way. We would normally gift flavors we didn't like to someone as part of a gift basket, but in this case, they were so bad we threw them out.

The other bars are very good, but including the chili bars in the set is a deal breaker.

Also, I think the offer has gone up in price. At this price point ($3 per bar), there are other excellent options available at Whole Foods and Central Market (here in Houston). At $2.25 - $2.50 a bar, this would be a more competitive offer.

sonja711

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sonja711
dalylink wrote:My favorite is Trader Joe's Chocolate Palette. http://www.chocablog.com/reviews/trader-joes-chocolate-palette/ I get a few around the holidays and it lasts through the year.

Yea I like this too, but we don't have a Trader Joe's in Denver so I have to have my mom ship it to me.
Worth the pain

gooberpeas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gooberpeas
DynamiteDG wrote:Any chance this is kosher?

lol here we go

chocolatemaker

No, thanks for asking even if it's an odd question.

All of the chocolate is fresh. The beans are from this season from Finca Acasias, the vanilla, chile and cardamon from last months harvest in Coban. The coffee is from this seasons Antigua harvest and finally, the milk is from Costa Rica, just produced.

Please check out our new molds too, thinner and easier to share too!!

Lairdland wrote:This isn't refurbished chocolate, is it?

chocolatemaker

Thanks! We hear you loud and clear. This time we lowered the chile flavor about 99% to show off the dark chocolate and now you just get the rich smokey flavor in the finish and then only fleetingly. It's a really cool effect.

What we love about trying new products out on Woot is the immediate and vocal response to our products. We take it all in a adjust immediately. Our new cardamom flavor is also constructed to showcase the dark chocolate and give you a minty burst at the finish. Let us know if it's too strong and we'll listen.

paulmd wrote:The chili bars were very strange. Extremely spicy in a very unpleasant way. We would normally gift flavors we didn't like to someone as part of a gift basket, but in this case, they were so bad we threw them out.

The other bars are very good, but including the chili bars in the set is a deal breaker.

Also, I think the offer has gone up in price. At this price point ($3 per bar), there are other excellent options available at Whole Foods and Central Market (here in Houston). At $2.25 - $2.50 a bar, this would be a more competitive offer.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
gooberpeas wrote:lol here we go

Indeed! How dare Jews ask such unimportant questions.

*Read with the most sarcastic tone you can.*

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

lesj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lesj

We don't use any funky powders in our bars, milk is milk and coffee is coffee. Guatemala produces some of the best coffee in the world, so we would seriously insult some people here if we used anything but the real stuff!

neuropsychosocial wrote:I read through the entire thread from 1/20/12 and the quality posts from the other three offerings, and now I'm drooling!

lesj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lesj

Whaaat, that would be like a slap on the face to our Mayan ancestors, and you don't want to upset them...

Lairdland wrote:This isn't refurbished chocolate, is it?

tlrowe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tlrowe

Actually - $35 - or $1.75 an oz or $28/lb.
A little steep for my blood.

chocolatemaker

Thanks! We've kept our prices steady over the last couple of years and our quality keeps going up. I wish we could say the same about costs! Shipping from Guatemala is costly as well. We hear you and we'll work to keep our prices down in the future.

tlrowe wrote:Actually - $35 - or $1.75 an oz or $28/lb.
A little steep for my blood.