rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

I've got a room booked for Saturday and Sunday nights with an extra bed if anyone is interested in splitting or contributing to the ~$100/night fee. I'd much rather spend on bottles.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at the Vines, 100 Soscol Avenue Napa

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
rjquillin wrote:Are we going to be anywhere near, or passing, Wellington? I've got a case or so wanting to get picked up.

The Fig Cafe, where we're having dinner on Sunday night, is about 5 minutes from Wellington.

rjquillin

ajrod27 wrote:The Fig Cafe, where we're having dinner on Sunday night, is about 5 minutes from Wellington.

Hopefully Toby or Peter may still be tending the shop. Thanks.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ajrod27 wrote:The Fig Cafe, where we're having dinner on Sunday night, is about 5 minutes from Wellington.

I have to email Peter to let him know about when we plan on stopping, so he or Toby will be around. I think they close around 4pm, so we'll have time to hit Mayo (which is on the way) afterwards before The Fig.

Anyone else want to visit Ty's new tasting room (on the way to Wellington)?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Anyone else want to visit Ty's new tasting room (on the way to Wellington)?

Captive audience here, but as I've not been to see Ty at all...

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:I have to email Peter to let him know about when we plan on stopping, so he or Toby will be around. I think they close around 4pm, so we'll have time to hit Mayo (which is on the way) afterwards before The Fig.

I'm game....

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:

meh. It's been a while since I opened a bottle from Ty I enjoyed. Last years visit was a dud imo. If we have to be at Wellington by three, that would mean Ty by 2, and then you might as well not even leave Sonoma.

We are down for Mayo and maybe Wellington if we actually got treated like customers instead of an annoyance.

mommadeb1

ok the Hawthorn requires a 2 night min stay... we only want 1 night.. any suggestions on where else I should try? that will be relatively close to the rest of the group?

update: got a room at the Best Western plus at the vines... 109+ taxes a night!! yea

mommadeb1

new hotel question.....(are you getting tired of my questions yet?) for sunday night, we will be heading back twards the Oakland airport... any suggestions on a cheap, yet decent hotel that is reasonably close?

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:ok the Hawthorn requires a 2 night min stay... we only want 1 night.. any suggestions on where else I should try? that will be relatively close to the rest of the group?

update: got a room at the Best Western plus at the vines...
109+ taxes a night!! yea

Oh joy, we can meet up in the lobby!

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:Oh joy, we can meet up in the lobby!

yippie! unless you were being sarcastic with your comment.... ha ha ha!

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:yippie! unless you were being sarcastic with your comment.... ha ha ha!

While I can (attempt) to be sarcastic, that was not such. Good to have company there. Now, if only I could find someone to pay for the other bed.

CT

MarkDaSpark

Only 7 days to go to the D&D weekend!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:While I can (attempt) to be sarcastic, that was not such. Good to have company there. Now, if only I could find someone to pay for the other bed.

sorry, can't help you with other bed....... glad it wasn't sarcasm.. thanks for posting hotel information...

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Only 7 days to go to the D&D weekend!!!

yea!!!

rjquillin

Anybody besides cmaldoon I owe bottles to up north that will be attending?

CT

MarkDaSpark

Only 6 days to go!!!!

trifecta

MarkDaSpark wrote:Only 6 days to go!!!!

Any word back from Kent? The website still says there are no tasting appt's at this time (not sure that is up to date).

If Kent’s is a no-go would this work?:
Robert Biale - 10 to 11am (1 hour from HI Oakland)
Check-in and travel to Vincent Arroyo – 11am to 12:30pm (~1 hr drive, 30 min check-in)
Vincent Arroyo 12:30 – 1:30pm
Lunch 1:30-2:30
Needs suggestion 2:30-4:30
David Fulton Winery – 4:30 – 5:15
Scott Harvey’s – 5:30

trifecta

Oakland Forecast:
Thurs – Few Showers. High 55F, Low 41F. Chance of Rain 30%. WNW @ 13mph
Fri – Partly Cloudy. High 56F, Low 44F. Chance of Rain 10%. WNW @13mph

Napa Forecast
Saturday – Partly Cloudy High 59F, Low 34F. Chance of Rain 20%. W at 12mph

Sonoma Forecast
Sunday – Sunny. High 62F, Low 34F. Chance of Rain 0%. NW @13mph

Livermore Forecast
Monday – Showers. High 60F, Low 36F. Chance of Rain 40%. WNW @13mph

trifecta

Sparky - I think this is the updated list for Saturday. I think it is the same for Sunday with andyduncan having a +2, random & tassadar out, and bahwm & ddeuddeg limited due to flight.

Saturday:
Sparky
ajrod27
rjquillin
trifecta
trifecta +1
CAGrl
CAGrl +1
bahwm
ddeuddeg
Mommadeb1
Mommadeb1 +1
Andyduncan
Andyduncan +1
Random122
Tassadar2k03

Maybe:
bsevern
bsevern +1
tenuki
tenuki +1

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Hubby and I will not be joining the festivities on Sunday. Gotta pick up the dog and head home.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Oh and if no KR, then we're starting out at VA. Probably will get there by 11 or so.

mommadeb1

trifecta wrote:Oakland Forecast:
Thurs – Few Showers. High 55F, Low 41F. Chance of Rain 30%. WNW @ 13mph
Fri – Partly Cloudy. High 56F, Low 44F. Chance of Rain 10%. WNW @13mph

Napa Forecast
Saturday – Partly Cloudy High 59F, Low 34F. Chance of Rain 20%. W at 12mph

Sonoma Forecast
Sunday – Sunny. High 62F, Low 34F. Chance of Rain 0%. NW @13mph

Livermore Forecast
Monday – Showers. High 60F, Low 36F. Chance of Rain 40%. WNW @13mph

man o man.... that is cold!!!!

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:man o man.... that is cold!!!!

Definitely more than a sweater will be needed!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:Any word back from Kent? The website still says there are no tasting appt's at this time (not sure that is up to date).

If Kent’s is a no-go would this work?:
Robert Biale - 10 to 11am (1 hour from HI Oakland)
Check-in and travel to Vincent Arroyo – 11am to 12:30pm (~1 hr drive, 30 min check-in)
Vincent Arroyo 12:30 – 1:30pm
Lunch 1:30-2:30
Needs suggestion 2:30-4:30
David Fulton Winery – 4:30 – 5:15
Scott Harvey’s – 5:30

Sounds fine, unless people want to skip Biale and just go to VA. Parking may be tight there.

Nothing from Kent yet, either by email or phone (msgs left both places). Will try both again tomorrow.

As to alternates between ...

Turley Wine Cellars / formerly Pesenti Winery -- Will call tomorrow to see if they are accepting tastings.

Mario Perelli-Minetti Winery -- Will also call them.

And my old stand-by, Prager Winery & Port Works. Mmmm, PS Port.

V. Sattui Winery -- Will call them as well.

MarkDaSpark

5 Days Away!!!!!

MarkDaSpark

No Turley tasting in Napa.

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

What's so special about V. Sattui? We've been there--but it was a very long time ago. I know they have some nice foods available.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:What's so special about V. Sattui? We've been there--but it was a very long time ago. I know they have some nice foods available.

They've been on Woot before, they have PS, and more important, they're not that far from Scott's.

There was a place in Calistoga where you could taste multiple wineries, but I don't know if they are still there.

Mewalk? Tenuki? Do you guys know?

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:what about Sunce or Bartholomew wineries?

I went to Sunce last time, and they were a little far off the track. Makes it hard to get to others. Plus I wasn't impressed with their wines.

In other news, KR is a pass this year. They still haven't opened the new facility yet. So plan on next year in Carneros!!!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

PMs for rjquillin and ajrod27. Please respond ASAP.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

Since KR is out, would everyone prefer to just go to VA first (since they have the barrel tasting)?

We can see about early check-ins or luggage storage on the way up.

Cal-Mart has box lunches for $15 that come with great sandwiches, salad, fresh fruit, & fresh cookies. Or you can just get one of their sandwiches. No luck on their web page for the list of sandwiches.

But it is on the way to/from VA.

Cal-Mart
1491 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA

Store Phone: 707.942.6271

Deli & Bakery: 707.942.9686

trifecta

MarkDaSpark wrote:Since KR is out, would everyone prefer to just go to VA first (since they have the barrel tasting?

Nope. I don't really want to deal with the crowd aspect of the barrel tasting, not to mention VA is so far out of the way. If that's the first stop we'll probably just sleep in and leave Oakland later. We have no ability to check in early. Might hit Biale by ourselves I guess.

Plus, what are the chances of tenuki and friends getting out there that early? Maybe there is a die hard VA group and the non.

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:Nope. I don't really want to deal with the crowd aspect of the barrel tasting, not to mention VA is so far out of the way. If that's the first stop we'll probably just sleep in and leave Oakland later. We have no ability to check in early. Might hit Biale by ourselves I guess.

Plus, what are the chances of tenuki and friends getting out there that early? Maybe there is a die hard VA group and the non.

No problem. I was just feeling the need for Cal-Mart sammiches. Although Taylor's (now some other name) for burgers is tempting as well.

And I am still tempted by Biale.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:I went to Sunce last time, and they were a little far off the track. Makes it hard to get to others. Plus I wasn't impressed with their wines.

In other news, KR is a pass this year. They still haven't opened the new facility yet. So plan on next year in Carneros!!!

how bout talullah?

MarkDaSpark

For Sunday ...

Sent an email to Lucas Meeker (hopefully), so more tomorrow on that.

So far Meeker is the farthest north (Geyerserville), with Teldeschi in Healdsburg.

Wellington closes at 4:30 pm, Mayo Family Winery (PS, Carignane, Alicante Bouschet, Sangiovese, plus more including whites) is open til 6:30 pm, but the Fig Cafe opens at 5:30 pm (and gets really crowded then).

So depending on if Lucas gets back to me, how does this sound?

@ Meeker from 11:00 am to 12:15 (or so)

Lunch @ 12:15 - 1:00 (or so)

15 minute drive from Meeker Tasting Room to Teldeschi. Depends on if we go to winery or tasting room, but if winery, we might have lunch there.

@ Teldeschi from 1:15 to 2:15

Travel to Ty Caton's Tasting Room (45 min)

@ Ty Caton from 3:00 to 3:40

Travel to Wellington (5 min)

@ Wellington from 3:45 to 4:30

Travel to Mayo (15 min)

@ Mayo Family Tasting Room from 5:00 to 5:45

Travel to The Fig Cafe (5 to 10 min)

Dinner @ The Fig Cafe (No Corkage) around 6pm to 8/8:30 (depending on seating).

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:how bout talullah?

Well, I think Bruce and Demi are mad at her over those topless pics.

Edit: No PS = "Talk to the hand".

There should be some slack if you get up early on Sunday and hit it before we go to the first winery.

Or on Saturday.

trifecta

mommadeb1 wrote:how bout talullah?

I would like to try for an appt. others have shown interest as well. The caveat is they have no PS.

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:I would like to try for an appt. others have shown interest as well. The caveat is they have no PS.

Well, for those that have no interest in going to VA, maybe this could be a stop?

MarkDaSpark

Reminder that there should be a bottle brought per couple to Scott's! We don't want to impose more on them than necessary.

So when you are buying during the day, consider what you might purchase to share that evening.