MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
andyduncan wrote:I don't think so, like the pencilthieves, they're long-time wooters but part of the silent majority. Keep trying to get them more involved in the community. They're coming around, this should seal the deal.



Are you all going to drop by the after-party too? Pweeeze?


Edit: Me!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm


quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:well you are the one who said to bring something to put on........Ha ha ha....


If the current weather conditions in Healdsburg are any indication of what we're in for we could be looking at temps in the 30s during the night! Right now, that would be a heat wave for us!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Son of a ... Vincent Arroyo is actually having their barrel tasting on the 23rd, instead of a different weekend from D&D.

From 10 to about 2:30 or so.


So tempting.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
MarkDaSpark wrote:Son of a ... Vincent Arroyo is actually having their barrel tasting on the 23rd, instead of a different weekend from D&D.

From 10 to about 2:30 or so.


So tempting.


#@#$%@# I wanna go! Early morning start it is then for me and the hubby.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
CAGrl wrote:#@#$%@# I wanna go! Early morning start it is then for me and the hubby.



how early are we starting?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:how early are we starting?



Depends on where we start. Also if Kent will be available that Saturday.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Depends on where we start. Also if Kent will be available that Saturday.



I guess I should get my act together and book a room for sat and sunday night!!!

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
mommadeb1 wrote:how early are we starting?


Well it takes about an hour and a half so we'd have to leave around 8:30-9 to make it there. I like being early because then we get good parking.

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

VA is way too far for me to hit first thing. Plus if Kent is a go, his place makes way more sense as a first stop. I could be up for VA if it ends up fitting in later in the day. Barrel tasting at least means they would pour more than 3 wines this time.

Last year we didn't get to bed until well after midnight, after tasting/drinking since 5pm. Getting on the road by 8:30 was the goal last time, and most actually left after 10!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:VA is way too far for me to hit first thing. Plus if Kent is a go, his place makes way more sense as a first stop. I could be up for VA if it ends up fitting in later in the day. Barrel tasting at least means they would pour more than 3 wines this time.

Last year we didn't get to bed until well after midnight, after tasting/drinking since 5pm. Getting on the road by 8:30 was the goal last time, and most actually left after 10!



I'm hoping to do Kent first, with potentially Biale as a backup plan to start first if Kent is out with family.


Although, if I do stay at the Comfort Inn in Calistoga, I might be able to drop off stuff there first, then go to VA. Hmmmmmm.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm hoping to do Kent first, with potentially Biale as a backup plan to start first if Kent is out with family.
Although, if I do stay at the Comfort Inn in Calistoga, I might be able to drop off stuff there first, then go to VA. Hmmmmmm.



Our Saturday night spot is halfway between St. Helena and Calistoga. My thought was we could do a stop or two on our way north, split up and get our lodging settled and then do the barrel tasting at VA.

Keep in mind some places are a little strict about the early check in.

Either way I don't really foresee my +1 and I leaving our hotel room before 9. I am an early riser (typically work by 6) and last year it was tough to get out by 10. This is supposed to be fun!

I am totally cool with splitting off from the pack as well if the group desire is to do something else. We can always meet up later in the day. To be perfectly honest Napa is not our cup of tea. Typically far too expensive and up tight. Good thing Scott breaks that mold completely!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:Our Saturday night spot is halfway between St. Helena and Calistoga. My thought was we could do a stop or two on our way north, split up and get our lodging settled and then do the barrel tasting at VA.

Keep in mind some places are a little strict about the early check in.

Either way I don't really foresee my +1 and I leaving our hotel room before 9. I am an early riser (typically work by 6) and last year it was tough to get out by 10. This is supposed to be fun!

I am totally cool with splitting off from the pack as well if the group desire is to do something else. We can always meet up later in the day. To be perfectly honest Napa is not our cup of tea. Typically far too expensive and up tight. Good thing Scott breaks that mold completely!



That might work ... most places will let you leave your luggage (i.e. wine) in a secure room until check in.


There's a market in Calistoga that does terrific sammiches. We shall see what timing there is.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I'm thinking if we can't get KR in the morning, then I'll probably go to VA. I want to order some port and some other wines there. But I guess it all depends on what else is planned.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

ok..so where do I want to stay sat night?

random122


quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Whatever the plan is, count me and tassadar2k03 in for Saturday!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

sparky...did you decide where you were staying sat and sunday night?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:sparky...did you decide where you were staying sat and sunday night?



Yes.




Got a room at Hawthorn Inn & Suites by Wyndham. Special right now is $102 a night.

Located in Napa, off the Silverado Trail, and not far from Route 12 to Sonoma.


AAA rate is $108, but I don't think you have to pay until you check in. The $102 is if you pay in advance, I believe.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes.




Got a room at Hawthorn Inn & Suites by Wyndham. Special right now is $102 a night.

Located in Napa, off the Silverado Trail, and not far from Route 12 to Sonoma.


AAA rate is $108, but I don't think you have to pay until you check in. The $102 is if you pay in advance, I believe.



thanks..that is for sat? where do I want to stay for sunday... I think we have to be at the airport by 11:30am...I think are flight is 1?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:thanks..that is for sat? where do I want to stay for sunday... I think we have to be at the airport by 11:30am...I think are flight is 1?



I'm set for both Sat & Sun nights there. It's at the south end, so it'll be a drive back from Scott's on Saturday, but we'll be close to Hwy 12 to get to Sonoma area wineries.

Which airport are you flying out of? SFO or OAK?

Oakland is about an hour or so away from the hotel, and about the same (plus 5 min) to SFO.


So you should be able to leave on Monday morning around 9:30 or 10 and miss most of the traffic.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm set for both Sat & Sun nights there. It's at the south end, so it'll be a drive back from Scott's on Saturday, but we'll be close to Hwy 12 to get to Sonoma area wineries.

Which airport are you flying out of? SFO or OAK?

Oakland is about an hour or so away from the hotel, and about the same (plus 5 min) to SFO.


So you should be able to leave on Monday morning around 9:30 or 10 and miss most of the traffic.



thanks, flying in/out of oakland...
will call tomorrow and try to book..

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
mommadeb1 wrote:thanks, flying in/out of oakland...
will call tomorrow and try to book..



edit: how late are we going to be out sunday night? trying to figure out which would be best.... staying sunday night near the airport = more sleep the next morning... or an hour drive monday morning...

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:edit: how late are we going to be out sunday night? trying to figure out which would be best.... staying sunday night near the airport = more sleep the next morning... or an hour drive monday morning...



Last year we went to the Fig cafe in Glen Ellen, which doesn't open till 5. Our dinner there lasted about 1.5 to 2 hours, then we all went our seperate ways. Maybe 8 at the latest?

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:Last year we went to the Fig cafe in Glen Ellen, which doesn't open till 5. Our dinner there lasted about 1.5 to 2 hours, then we all went our seperate ways. Maybe 8 at the latest?



thats not too bad... I was more concerned about a midnight ending!!

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
mommadeb1 wrote:thats not too bad... I was more concerned about a midnight ending!!


That's Saturday night.

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

In an effort to get the itinerary discussion going, here is a list from last year for Saturday.
We ended up skipping Biale and going to VA first, Zahtila, Corison, Prager, DFW, and then Scott’s. The timing worked out pretty well. An hour per stop and 30 minutes for transit also gives some cushion.
What is there year going to look like? I assumed that we would want to hit VA for the barrel tasting, so there is a bit of backtrack. Again it is looking like Biale might be a skip due timing. For those that want to skip to Arroyo, Biale could be in parallel. Initial thoughts:

Kent Rasmussen (starting around 10?) - 10 to 11
Vincent Arroyo (1 hr w/traffic from Kent's) 12 to 1pm or Robert Biale w/Napa check in – 11:30-1pm
Lunch/Room Check-In – 1pm to 2pm (or so)
Need 1 or two suggestions…..
David Fulton Winery -- 4:30 to 5:15
Scott Harvey's (across from DFW) -- 5:30 pm to ????

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:In an effort to get the itinerary discussion going, here is a list from last year for Saturday.
We ended up skipping Biale and going to VA first, Zahtila, Corison, Prager, DFW, and then Scott’s. The timing worked out pretty well. An hour per stop and 30 minutes for transit also gives some cushion.
What is there year going to look like? I assumed that we would want to hit VA for the barrel tasting, so there is a bit of backtrack. Again it is looking like Biale might be a skip due timing. For those that want to skip to Arroyo, Biale could be in parallel. Initial thoughts:

Kent Rasmussen (starting around 10?) - 10 to 11
Vincent Arroyo (1 hr w/traffic from Kent's) 12 to 1pm or Robert Biale w/Napa check in – 11:30-1pm
Lunch/Room Check-In – 1pm to 2pm (or so)
Need 1 or two suggestions…..
David Fulton Winery -- 4:30 to 5:15
Scott Harvey's (across from DFW) -- 5:30 pm to ????



Haven't heard from Kent yet if his schedule is set, will try calling today. So we may try for Biale first (Yes, they have PS!).

If Biale is first, we can head up the Silverado Hwy to VA.


Prager (PS Ports) was on the list last year because they are only 5 to 15 min (traffic) away from DFW (and well, because they have PS Ports!).


We may also get an idea of where to stop at D&D.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
CAGrl wrote:That's Saturday night.



works for me..... as long as I can convince my body it is on west coast time!!

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Thoughts for Sunday stops?

I am a club member (think discount) at Hawley and Meeker (both have good PETs).
Teldeschi is out off of dry creek road right above the general store. For those that aren't familiar, they will be after DnD. His current release of PS is 2002 (lol every time I think about that). In fact I just picked up some "older" stuff he was clearing out and they were '94 and '95 PETs. Great chance to see how they age.
All those stops are out in the Healdsburg area. Not as familiar with Sonoma stops, but I am assuming Wellington will be on the list. (Also makes sense because it is right around the corner from the Dinner spot).

My thought was maybe to strike out to the Healdsburg(ish) area first and then work our way back to Sonoma for dinner. It is a bit of a trek to get out that far though, and we would be ok with just the sonoma area if it works better for others. We go to Hawley, Meeker, Teldeschi, and Healdsburg in general quite often.

Thoughts?

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
trifecta wrote:
My thought was maybe to strike out to the Healdsburg(ish) area first and then work our way back to Sonoma for dinner. It is a bit of a trek to get out that far though, and we would be ok with just the sonoma area if it works better for others. We go to Hawley, Meeker, Teldeschi, and Healdsburg in general quite often.

Thoughts?



Since most of us are staying in the St. Helena/Calistoga area the night prior, it's roughly the same distance to Healdsburg and Sonoma. I'd like to pay a visit to Dıck Handal if we're in the Healdsburg area; he's a woot favorite and makes a nice PETs, among other wines. Teldeschi is always a blast as well!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

for wineries to visit.... keep in mind that I am directionally challenged and also don't have a clue where wineries are located...... will be anywhere near Twisted Oak or Pedroncelli?

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mommadeb1 wrote:for wineries to visit.... keep in mind that I am directionally challenged and also don't have a clue where wineries are located...... will be anywhere near Twisted Oak or Pedroncelli?



TO is different part of California, Pedroncelli is kinda close to Healdsburg if we end out that way.

CT

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
ajrod27 wrote:Since most of us are staying in the St. Helena/Calistoga area the night prior, it's roughly the same distance to Healdsburg and Sonoma. I'd like to pay a visit to Dıck Handal if we're in the Healdsburg area; he's a woot favorite and makes a nice PETs, among other wines. Teldeschi is always a blast as well!



Yeah, he was a pretty awesome host.

CT

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
trifecta wrote:Thoughts for Sunday stops?

I am a club member (think discount) at Hawley and Meeker (both have good PETs).
Teldeschi is out off of dry creek road right above the general store. For those that aren't familiar, they will be after DnD. His current release of PS is 2002 (lol every time I think about that). In fact I just picked up some "older" stuff he was clearing out and they were '94 and '95 PETs. Great chance to see how they age.
All those stops are out in the Healdsburg area. Not as familiar with Sonoma stops, but I am assuming Wellington will be on the list. (Also makes sense because it is right around the corner from the Dinner spot).

My thought was maybe to strike out to the Healdsburg(ish) area first and then work our way back to Sonoma for dinner. It is a bit of a trek to get out that far though, and we would be ok with just the sonoma area if it works better for others. We go to Hawley, Meeker, Teldeschi, and Healdsburg in general quite often.

Thoughts?

We've gone by Teldeschi numerous times, and have never stopped there. Since we'll be in that area for a few days earlier in the week, we might just check it out this time, just in case it doesn't work out for the weekend.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
tenuki wrote:TO is different part of California, Pedroncelli is kinda close to Healdsburg if we end out that way.



thanks... just wondering.. can't wait to try some new wineries!!!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:Thoughts for Sunday stops?

I am a club member (think discount) at Hawley and Meeker (both have good PETs).
Teldeschi is out off of dry creek road right above the general store. For those that aren't familiar, they will be after DnD. His current release of PS is 2002 (lol every time I think about that). In fact I just picked up some "older" stuff he was clearing out and they were '94 and '95 PETs. Great chance to see how they age.
All those stops are out in the Healdsburg area. Not as familiar with Sonoma stops, but I am assuming Wellington will be on the list. (Also makes sense because it is right around the corner from the Dinner spot).

My thought was maybe to strike out to the Healdsburg(ish) area first and then work our way back to Sonoma for dinner. It is a bit of a trek to get out that far though, and we would be ok with just the sonoma area if it works better for others. We go to Hawley, Meeker, Teldeschi, and Healdsburg in general quite often.

Thoughts?



I'm thinking one of the Meekers invited us for lunch. Have to look back at the threads. And I think we missed Hawley last year?

Pedroncelli is always friendly (except I think you need to buy a minimum to get a discount), but I went there last July on the RPM tour, so I can skip them.

Wellington closes early (around 4), but Mayo (also have PS) is just on the way to The Fig Cafe for dinner.


And I would like to hit Ty's new tasting room.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

FYI,

Saturday Temps: AVERAGES (Napa)
Hi 64°F
Lo 43°F

Sunday: AVERAGES (Napa)
Hi 64°F
Lo 43°F

AVERAGES (Sonoma)
Hi 63°F
Lo 41°F


Will post forecasts when available (in about a week).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm


quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:FYI,

Saturday Temps: AVERAGES (Napa)
Hi 64°F
Lo 43°F

Sunday: AVERAGES (Napa)
Hi 64°F
Lo 43°F

AVERAGES (Sonoma)
Hi 63°F
Lo 41°F


Will post forecasts when available (in about a week).


My brain is having problems making this work! Nighttime temps look to be in the mid 30's in Healdsburg earlier in the week! This will be fun trying to figure out what kind of clothes to bring!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

what about Sunce or Bartholomew wineries?

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:FYI,

Saturday Temps: AVERAGES (Napa)
Hi 64°F
Lo 43°F

Sunday: AVERAGES (Napa)
Hi 64°F
Lo 43°F

AVERAGES (Sonoma)
Hi 63°F
Lo 41°F


Will post forecasts when available (in about a week).



One More Friday Gone... that is WINTER!!! agggghhh

rjquillin


quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

Are we going to be anywhere near, or passing, Wellington? I've got a case or so wanting to get picked up.

CT