+ Add a Comment

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Planning for the weekend festivities after 2013 Dark & Delicious.

Napa area on Saturday (end at Scott Harvey's abode), & Sonoma area on Sunday. With Livermore (Concannon) on Monday.

SATURDAY FEB 23
Napa Wine Romp
Potential Wineries: Biale ???, Vincent Arroyo, Madrigal/Chateau Montelena ???, David Fulton, & Scott Harvey (Bring a bottle per couple to share)

Attendees:
- Sparky
- ajrod27
- rjquillin
- trifecta
- trifecta +1
- CAGrl
- CAGrl +1
- bahwm
- ddeuddeg
- Mommadeb1
- Mommadeb1 +1
- Andyduncan
- Andyduncan +1
- Random122
- Tassadar2k03
- tenuki
- tenuki +1
- Mewalk
- PetiteSirah (just for Scott's, around 7)
- PetiteSirah +1 (just for Scott's, around 7)

Maybe's:
- bsevern
- bsevern +1

SUNDAY FEB 24
Sonoma Wine Romp
Wineries: Meeker (11), Teldeschi (1:15), Caton (3:00), Wellington (3:40), & Mayo (4:45)

Attendees:
- Sparky
- ajrod27
- rjquillin
- trifecta
- trifecta +1
- bahwm (AM potential only)
- ddeuddeg (AM potential only)
- Mommadeb1
- Mommadeb1 +1
- Andyduncan
- Andyduncan +2

Maybe's:
- tenuki
- tenuki (V)
- J
- Mewalk
- bsevern
- bsevern +1

MONDAY FEB 25
Livermore/Other Wine Romp
Location & Wineries TBD (Concannon)

Attendees:
- Sparky
- ajrod27
- rjquillin
- trifecta
- trifecta +1
- Nealkb

2012 D&D thread including Weekend Activities

2011 D&D thread

Weather:

Sat, Feb 23 - Napa

High: 63° Partly Cloudy
Low: 36°

CHANCE OF RAIN: 20% day, 0% night

WIND: NNW at 13 mph

Sun, Feb 24 - Sonoma

High: 67° Sunny
Low: 36°

CHANCE OF RAIN: 0%

WIND: NNW at 9 mph

Updated: 2/22/2013 9:00 am PT

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

So, where would you guys & gals like to go?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 33 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:So, where would you guys & gals like to go?

I just realized you have a separate post for the weekend portion of this extravaganza. We're definitely in for the Friday night event, and for Saturday, as well. Our flight home is Sunday at 3:35PM from Oakland, so we probably won't be able to do too much that day. We'll be happy to follow the experienced crowd on Saturday, wherever that leads us. Of course, we've been to Corison a few times, so it would be OK to pass up that stop, as far as we're concerned. Do you have a place in mind to spend Saturday night?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:I just realized you have a separate post for the weekend portion of this extravaganza. We're definitely in for the Friday night event, and for Saturday, as well. Our flight home is Sunday at 3:35PM from Oakland, so we probably won't be able to do too much that day. We'll be happy to follow the experienced crowd on Saturday, wherever that leads us. Of course, we've been to Corison a few times, so it would be OK to pass up that stop, as far as we're concerned. Do you have a place in mind to spend Saturday night?

Well, we've spent Sat. night several places in the past. A lot depends on where we plan to go on Sat & Sun.

The Holiday Inn Express in American Canyon was very nice in the past. Just south of Napa County Airport, so easy access to Napa and Sonoma highways.

Or Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn in Sonoma.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Please add +1 and myself to the list of attendees. We can make it for Sat&Sun, and I should be able to make Mon.

I would prefer to switch up the stops this year if possible. Definitely interested in KR and Biale since it didn't happen last year. VA only had a couple wines even left last Feb. maybe we can get tallulah in the mix?

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Okay, as much as I loved last year's wineries visited, can we maybe get a later start to the day? I know it was hard for all of us to get up and we were all running late.

And I agree with trifecta. I love VA, but they really didn't have that many wines to taste.

MarkDaSpark

We can probably start later, but it means less wineries (or less time at each).

We can skip VA and probably Corison. Depends on where everyone wants to go.

I'm thinking Kent (Carneros) first, Lunch, then Biale, then Prager (10 to 15 min or less from Scott's) or Chase Cellars (Zin & PS from Hayne vineyard), then Fulton (next to Scott), then Scott's (around 5).

Or lunch after Biale. Maybe Gott's Roadside in Napa or St. Helena?

Have to see where Tallulah fits. Or maybe Foppiano? The Vets missed going there in July.

We might see about getting Pizza (or something else) delivered to Scott's for everyone. Will try to narrow it down and get costs ahead of time.

We also discussed last year about pooling tasting fees (if the winery doesn't charge them to us) to buy one or more bottles of wine to share that evening.

Edit: Or maybe not Tallulah. No PS's there.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm thinking...Chase Cellars (Zin & PS from Hayne vineyard)

I love the wines at Chase, but last time I was there, the tasting room didn't have room for more than about 8 people.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Please put me down as a maybe and +1.

Thanks!

Edit - I second Tallulah if possible.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

keeping fingers crossed... hubby just told me he needs to go to CA for business....and he needs to go to .....Oakland!!! hope the dates work out!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Please, put me and mr. Mommadeb under maybe

trifecta

If we end up getting enough folks for Sat/Sun, maybe we could find a house right in St. Helena to rent? Preferably close to Scott's.

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:If we end up getting enough folks for Sat/Sun, maybe we could find a house right in St. Helena to rent? Preferably close to Scott's.

tenuki mentioned that one time (either for a NoCal gathering or for one of the previous D&D's), but I can't remember why it didn't pan out.

One problem is that since we are doing Sonoma on Sunday, it would be a longer drive.

Edit: Plus, most may not stay for a 2nd (Sunday) night, which would increase the cost for those who need a place for Sunday. And it's farther from Concannon (Monday).

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:tenuki mentioned that one time (either for a NoCal gathering or for one of the previous D&D's), but I can't remember why it didn't pan out.

One problem is that since we are doing Sonoma on Sunday, it would be a longer drive.

Edit: Plus, most may not stay for a 2nd (Sunday) night, which would increase the cost for those who need a place for Sunday. And it's farther from Concannon (Monday).

Yeah, basically most people want a two night stay, and usually like a $300 cleaning fee. It still might work out to less than a hotel but a) I'm lazy, and b) my bed's only an hour away, and usually J or worstveg couldn't make Sunday anyway so I'd just take them back and go home.

Still might be worth looking into though, I think it'd be fun.

edit: I was mostly checking vrbo.com, I've seen some full houses on airbnb.com as well.

CT

trifecta

I just wanted to float it as a possibility.

With Sonoma/Healdsburg area on Sunday, you either have to do the drive from Napa on Sat night or Sun morning.

I prefer the morning because its usually pretty late-ish when we leave Scott's place, and I would rather drive the twisty's when its light out. Its only 30 minutes from St Helena to Glen Ellen as well.

I found one place in St. Helena that was $350/nt, 1 night min and 100 cleaning fee. 3 bedroom, sleeps 6. We could probably get a few more in the living room if needed.

I will keep looking for other options though.

VRBO is more our style because we typically pack food. We could cook breakfast on Sunday morning too....

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:I just wanted to float it as a possibility.

With Sonoma/Healdsburg area on Sunday, you either have to do the drive from Napa on Sat night or Sun morning.

I prefer the morning because its usually pretty late-ish when we leave Scott's place, and I would rather drive the twisty's when its light out. Its only 30 minutes from St Helena to Glen Ellen as well.

I found one place in St. Helena that was $350/nt, 1 night min and 100 cleaning fee. 3 bedroom, sleeps 6. We could probably get a few more in the living room if needed.

I will keep looking for other options though.

VRBO is more our style because we typically pack food. We could cook breakfast on Sunday morning too....

Possible. Or if we stay at BW Sonoma or HIE - American Canyon, both offer breakfast.

And since I'm staying over Sunday night as well, I'd rather not do twisty roads at night. So I'd rather have one place for both nights, rather than having to move three times (HI - Oakland to St. Helena to Sonoma).

trifecta

MarkDaSpark wrote:Possible. Or if we stay at BW Sonoma or HIE - American Canyon, both offer breakfast.

And since I'm staying over Sunday night as well, I'd rather not do twisty roads at night. So I'd rather have one place for both nights, rather than having to move three times (HI - Oakland to St. Helena to Sonoma).

If you call that breakfast.... haha. I'm cool with whatever, but American Canyon seems like a big backtrack. I might look into the BW Sonoma.

At this point we also don't know for sure Scott's is going to happen, so plans may change. Either way we are going to have a great time.

Hmm... there are also campgrounds close to Scott's... That might be the ticket

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Please add me to the list of attendees.

I'd definitely be interested in trifecta's idea of renting a house for a night or two. $450 for one night split between 6 people is only $75pp. ~$56pp if adding a couple people to the living room. I'd much rather spend my money on wine than a bed

MarkDaSpark

ajrod27 wrote:Please add me to the list of attendees.

I'd definitely be interested in trifecta's idea of renting a house for a night or two. $450 for one night split between 6 people is only $75pp. ~$56pp if adding a couple people to the living room. I'd much rather spend my money on wine than a bed

You and +1 or more for one day or both or all three?

Also, for those interested in the house, please mention if it would only be for Sat. night or for Sat/Sun nights.

Because there's no sense in me going in for only 1 night.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
MarkDaSpark wrote:You and +1 or more for one day or both or all three?

Also, for those interested in the house, please mention if it would only be for Sat. night or for Sat/Sun nights.

Because there's no sense in me going in for only 1 night.

Just myself, for all three days. I wouldn't mind staying at the house for 2 nights; is that the preference?

MarkDaSpark

ajrod27 wrote:Just myself, for all three days. I wouldn't mind staying at the house for 2 nights; is that the preference?

It could be, but if it's just the two of us for the 2nd night .... Toga! Toga!

Actually, it wouldn't make sense if we don't have enough people for Sunday night.

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

Has anyone actually checked in with Scott yet?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Has anyone actually checked in with Scott yet?

Yes. I've also tried to reach Kent, but will have to follow up with him a different method.

trifecta

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes. I've also tried to reach Kent, but will have to follow up with him a different method.

I have called ahead each time I've gone to Napa in the past year, but never had a live person answer or a message returned from KR. Normally I would have given up, but it has just made me more determined. Is something up with the winery?

EDIT: I think I found the answer:

Oh, and to quote our beloved Mark Twain, news of our death has been greatly exaggerated! We recently moved out of our old facility on Silverado Trail in St. Helena, which is now leased to another winery, and have returned to our old winery digs in Napa's Carneros. We are in a state of transition as we bring the old place back into production mode. We'll let you know when we are available for tours & tastings if you sign up for our mailing list

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:I have called ahead each time I've gone to Napa in the past year, but never had a live person answer or a message returned from KR. Normally I would have given up, but it has just made me more determined. Is something up with the winery?

EDIT: I think I found the answer:

Oh, and to quote our beloved Mark Twain, news of our death has been greatly exaggerated! We recently moved out of our old facility on Silverado Trail in St. Helena, which is now leased to another winery, and have returned to our old winery digs in Napa's Carneros. We are in a state of transition as we bring the old place back into production mode. We'll let you know when we are available for tours & tastings if you sign up for our mailing list

Yesss. Thus the potential visit first to him. In Carneros. On Saturday. I'm so glad everyone reads my posts.

trifecta

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yesss. Thus the potential visit first to him. In Carneros. On Saturday. I'm so glad everyone reads my posts.

Yeah, I skimmed right over the carneros part and forgot biale was south of KR's old location on the trail.

ddeuddeg

Pretty much off topic, but I/we messed up not buying the Clayhouse white yesterday. Looooong, boring story. If anyone bought it, and wouldn't mind selling us a bottle, bring it along. Thanks.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:SUNDAY FEB 24
Sonoma Wine Romp
Wineries TBD (Potential: Wellington & Meeker)

Attendees:
- Sparky
- trifecta
- trifecta +1
- CAGrl
- bahwm (1/2 day)
- ddeuddeg (1/2 day)
- ajrod27

Our participation on Sunday is dependent on a few things, if it's going to be mostly Healdsburg area, we might pass on that, since we'll be spending a bunch of time there earlier in the week, and we want to allow time to get to church. We made reservations at the Wine Valley Lodge in Napa for Saturday night, and may decide to sleep in a bit, go to church, drop in at Wellington, and head off to Oakland Airport. Probably need to leave wine country around noonish to drop off the rental car by 1:30.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Our participation on Sunday is dependent on a few things, if it's going to be mostly Healdsburg area, we might pass on that, since we'll be spending a bunch of time there earlier in the week, and we want to allow time to get to church. We made reservations at the Wine Valley Lodge in Napa for Saturday night, and may decide to sleep in a bit, go to church, drop in at Wellington, and head off to Oakland Airport. Probably need to leave wine country around noonish to drop off the rental car by 1:30.

I figured most of that, but forgot Church.

But that could work, us starting at Wellington that day, since they close early (4:00ish). And everyone wanted a later start.

Google Maps says about 1.5 hours from Wellington to Oakland Airport.

So 11:00 or 11:30 am start at Wellington sound good to everyone??

We can hit Mayo (PS) right after.

Then lunch, two other wineries, and then maybe Meeker?? I think they offered their Winery area if we (Wooters) were ever up there. Have to check on that.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:I figured most of that, but forgot Church.

But that could work, us starting at Wellington that day, since they close early (4:00ish). And everyone wanted a later start.

Google Maps says about 1.5 hours from Wellington to Oakland Airport.

So 11:00 or 11:30 am start at Wellington sound good to everyone??

We can hit Mayo (PS) right after.

Then lunch, two other wineries, and then maybe Meeker?? I think they offered their Winery area if we (Wooters) were ever up there. Have to check on that.

Actually, we could stop in at Wellington earlier in the week, so it might be best to schedule things without that constraint.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Actually, we could stop in at Wellington earlier in the week, so it might be best to schedule things without that constraint.

Yes, well, it's not like WE don't want to go there!

And Mayo is close by with their PS.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, well, it's not like WE don't want to go there!

And Mayo is close by with their PS.

Silly boy, I didn't mean you shouldn't go to Wellington, just that if it would work better to go there later in the day, considering the rest of the day's itinerary, where folks wind up spending Saturday night, etc., that would be more important than trying to make sure we can get there with the rest of the crew.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Silly boy, I didn't mean you shouldn't go to Wellington, just that if it would work better to go there later in the day, considering the rest of the day's itinerary, where folks wind up spending Saturday night, etc., that would be more important than trying to make sure we can get there with the rest of the crew.

Silly Dad, it would be a trek to get back up to Meeker from Wellington, if we go to Meeker towards the end.

I was thinking that if some of the locals want to skip Wellington (because they can go there almost anytime they want), they could meet us at the next stop, which depending on where, could be Noon (Mayo) or later.

I was thinking we could work north towards Healdsburg, etc., especially since Wellington closes around 4pm.

trifecta

FYI... There is a groupon deal going for the Best Western Sonoma. It works for the dates on D&D weekend. $169 for two nights. Comes with wine tasting passes, but you probably won't have any interest in using them.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-best-western-plus-sonoma-valley-inn?mobile=false

I will only be staying up north for Sat, so I'm not in. I may consider Sat night here if others are staying there, but right now I know a few of us are leaning towards camping near Scott's.

EDIT: Sparky - You can add me for Monday, but no +1.

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:FYI... There is a groupon deal going for the Best Western Sonoma. It works for the dates on D&D weekend. $169 for two nights. Comes with wine tasting passes, but you probably won't have any interest in using them.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-best-western-plus-sonoma-valley-inn?mobile=false

I will only be staying up north for Sat, so I'm not in. I may consider Sat night here if others are staying there, but right now I know a few of us are leaning towards camping near Scott's.

EDIT: Sparky - You can add me for Monday, but no +1.

Will do, and thanks for the link. Hope it's still up til Thur/Fri.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, so a late start was requested (for both days IIRC), what time is late?

10:30 am? 11:00 am?

I'm thinking 11 AM might be a good start time.

What say you all?

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, so a late start was requested (for both days IIRC), what time is late?

10:30 am? 11:00 am?

I'm thinking 11 AM might be a good start time.

What say you all?

So the first winery would be visited at 11? That would mean we would have to leave the hotel by 10 or so, right?

trifecta

CAGrl wrote:So the first winery would be visited at 11? That would mean we would have to leave the hotel by 10 or so, right?

I think an 11AM first stop is a good choice. To get to Carneros (KR) from HIE in Oakland takes about an hour, which means we would be leaving at 10 just as CAgrl mentioned.

For Sunday, we could potentially start earlier at 10 since we may be a shorter drive from the first stop. 11AM would still be ok though. In fact, I think thats what the four of us did last year.

At some point folks may have to stray from the herd to get their Sat night sleeping arrangements taken care of. I would think we would set a master schedule with some contingency in it, and then people can figure their own window to slip away.

MarkDaSpark

Kent may have some family stuff in February, so we'll have to see if we can still start there, or move the start to Biale.

trifecta

Mark - When do you think we should contact HIE about rooms? We had talked about getting suites next to each other to insulate the noise of the after party.

I don't think booking online gives us a good chance of having next door rooms.