WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards

We showed this sale to an grammarian and we got back lots of notes in red pen. Apparently it should be called "Our Merlot. " Which just goes to show, when you want to learn more about wine, don't go to a grammarian. Go to a drinker.
R. Merlo official site

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards 2005 Library Syrah 5-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $109.90) 36% off List Price
2005 Estate Syrah, Trinity County

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards 2009 Chardonnay 6-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $118.25) 37% off List Price
2009 Estate Chardonnay, Trinity County

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah / Chardonnay Combo 6-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $136.60) 41% off List Price
2009 Estate Chardonnay, Trinity County
2007 Estate Syrah, Trinity County

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards 2005 / 2007 Estate Syrah Combo 6-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $145.60) 45% off List Price
2007 Estate Syrah, Trinity County

Previous offer: 5/13/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Tyger has 2 of the Syrahs for me. Haven't tried them yet, obviously, but I'm excited to do so.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Tyger has 2 of the Syrahs for me. Haven't tried them yet, obviously, but I'm excited to do so.

Bold wine not over the top good balance, I think you will like them

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Tyger has 2 of the Syrahs for me. Haven't tried them yet, obviously, but I'm excited to do so.

In fact i'm in for the 5 pack of the 05's, if you want a couple I have them for you.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Very happy to see R. Merlo back again! Last time they were up the community asked to try some chardonnay and older syrah... Ask and we shall receive. I was really hoping to see the 2004 as well, but am definitely in for the '05 syrah. If I didn't already have a lot of the '07 I would do the sampler pack.

Thanks to WD/crew for lining this one up!

dwisner1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwisner1

Dang, Woot is killing me lately. So should I go for the '05 pack or the '05/'07 pack?

kylemittskus

dwisner1 wrote:Dang, Woot is killing me lately. So should I go for the '05 pack or the '05/'07 pack?

If you have neither, I suggest the vertical. Learn way more, diversify the cellar, etc.

jeremymericle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremymericle

This wine is sold at Big Lots and I have purchased a few cases of it for $3.50 a bottle. The Chard is much better than the Syrah. The wine is good especially at $3.50 a bottle. I purchased the 04,05,and 08 years. I have seen them 2 different times now over the last couple of months. Not a single bottle is corked. If you have a Big Lots near you, check them out as you same some serious cash on the wines.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

How would this compare to the Tallulah Del Rio Vineyard? (Another cool climate Syrah)

Intrigued by cellar tracker notes but would like some more detail on the style.

Is it broke or just fractured?

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
jeremymericle wrote:This wine is sold at Big Lots and I have purchased a few cases of it for $3.50 a bottle. The Chard is much better than the Syrah. The wine is good especially at $3.50 a bottle. I purchased the 04,05,and 08 years. I have seen them 2 different times now over the last couple of months. Not a single bottle is corked. If you have a Big Lots near you, check them out as you same some serious cash on the wines.

Hmmmm..... Now less interested..

Is it broke or just fractured?

kylemittskus

jeremymericle wrote:This wine is sold at Big Lots and I have purchased a few cases of it for $3.50 a bottle. The Chard is much better than the Syrah. The wine is good especially at $3.50 a bottle. I purchased the 04,05,and 08 years. I have seen them 2 different times now over the last couple of months. Not a single bottle is corked. If you have a Big Lots near you, check them out as you same some serious cash on the wines.

Not to call you a liar but...

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

This seems unlikely, but what do I know? Can someone quash this vicious rumor.

rheatoomuch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rheatoomuch

Yeah .... I'm not buying this story much. Sounds like a troll to me

rheatoomuch

Nice article about the winery and the family, in for the chard as I venture further into white wine

http://www.goldmedalwineclub.com/newsletters/gold_series/newsletter_919.php

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Since Cesare may be without power, and I need to keep track of things, CT below.

CT

rheatoomuch

rjquillin wrote:Since Cesare may be without power, and I need to keep track of things, CT below.

Link is broken

merlovineyards

quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards

Jeremy, we congratulate you on your purchase of a few cases at that price. Stores, like the one at which you shop, purchase wine products at a significant discount. Ths is usually due to the fact that a broker or distributor is going out of business.

trifecta

merlovineyards wrote:Jeremy, we congratulate you on your purchase of a few cases at that price. Stores, like the one at which you shop, purchase wine products at a significant discount. Ths is usually due to the fact that a broker or distributor is going out of business.

Thanks for joining us! Really like your '07 cool climate syrah! Looking forward to the '05. Still holding out some hope for the '04

merlovineyards

trifecta wrote:Thanks for joining us! Really like your '07 cool climate syrah! Looking forward to the '05. Still holding out some hope for the '04

Sorry I am late Trifecta. We have been pretty busy. Really happy to be back with the Wooters! I will look into getting the 04 Syrah into to program for you. Thank you very much for all your support!

RM

merlovineyards

rheatoomuch wrote:Nice article about the winery and the family, in for the chard as I venture further into white wine

http://www.goldmedalwineclub.com/newsletters/gold_series/newsletter_919.php

Thank you rheatoomuch. I hope you enjoy the Chardonnay as much as we do. Thank you, also, for the web posting.

RM

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
merlovineyards wrote:Thank you rheatoomuch. I hope you enjoy the Chardonnay as much as we do. Thank you, also, for the web posting.

RM

When is the next Wine Club pickup! R.Merlo has to be my favorite winery at Old Sugar Mill!

Neal K Bharadwaj

merlovineyards

nealkb wrote:When is the next Wine Club pickup! R.Merlo has to be my favorite winery at Old Sugar Mill!

Wine Club pick up is this weekend! Hope to see you!

RM

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
rheatoomuch wrote:Link is broken

Works for me, raw url is:
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1485761

CT

jeremymericle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremymericle
kylemittskus wrote:Not to call you a liar but...

Is there a way to post a picture here with the Big Lots price tags stuck to all of the bottles? No liar here, just a bargan hunter. Most bottles purchased are 75% off of retail prices. I have been buying wine from Big Lots for years. It is a little secret for the wine drinkers "in the know." If anyone has a Big Lots store near them that sales liquer check it out for yourselves. Again, I'm not a liar.

trifecta

jeremymericle wrote:Is there a way to post a picture here with the Big Lots price tags stuck to all of the bottles? No liar here, just a bargan hunter. Most bottles purchased are 75% off of retail prices. I have been buying wine from Big Lots for years. It is a little secret for the wine drinkers "in the know." If anyone has a Big Lots store near them that sales liquer check it out for yourselves. Again, I'm not a liar.

I went by today. No R. Merlo, but it is most likely timing. I did however pick up a PS from aquinas. It was only $6, so I took a chance. It was cooked. I suspect this is typical for the types of wines big lots receives. Pallets sitting around, improperly stored, until the distributor goes out of business or has to liquidate. It was the only decent label on the whole shelf. I suspect that you might get a great bargain every so often, but the provenance does matter, especially of you have any intention of cellaring. For guzzling it's probably just ok.

kylemittskus

trifecta wrote:I went by today. No R. Merlo, but it is most likely timing. I did however pick up a PS from aquinas. It was only $6, so I took a chance. It was cooked. I suspect this is typical for the types of wines big lots receives. Pallets sitting around, improperly stored, until the distributor goes out of business or has to liquidate. It was the only decent label on the whole shelf. I suspect that you might get a great bargain every so often, but the provenance does matter, especially of you have any intention of cellaring. For guzzling it's probably just ok.

I'll retract my liar statement. I apologize.

I'm with trifecta here. I wouldn't trust a wine purchased from Big Lots because of the nature of their business model.

trifecta

I am really surprised by the sales stats on this one... The '07 Syrah is a great example of cool climate syrah.

I would encourage those who haven't tried out this winery to do so, especially if you prefer an old world approach.

Thanks again to Ray and Family for this offering.

merlovineyards

trifecta wrote:I am really surprised by the sales stats on this one... The '07 Syrah is a great example of cool climate syrah.

I would encourage those who haven't tried out this winery to do so, especially if you prefer an old world approach.

Thanks again to Ray and Family for this offering.

Trifecta,

You are very welcome. We are so happy that you enjoy our wines. Our main goal in working with Woot is to give everyone passionate about wine a low risk opportunity to experience our winemaking style.

Happy Holidays,

RM

shiverdragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shiverdragon

Wine poltergeist here, but this is one of my favorite woot wines I've ever ordered... definitely getting more