HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So I'm currently surviving ok at my parents house. We lost power for a couple hours this afternoon, but it came back just in time for my mom to cook dinner (which is in the oven now).
Grandma got stuck in the electric recliner when the power went out...mom and I tipped the chair and dumped her out. Then we thought of the UPS backup I brought from home, and used it to lower the chair back to normal position. Then I read the instructions (after my mom found them) and I put batteries in the power supply...so now the next time they lose power, the chair will automatically return to seated position.

Hopefully we keep our power for at least awhile longer tonight. I was missing my interwebz for those two hours. My condo complex has been out since 3:30, so I am certainly glad to be here at my folx.

EDIT: Whoo! Sparky! (hopefully that Sparky is enough to keep us with power for awhile)

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So I'm currently surviving ok at my parents house. We lost power for a couple hours this afternoon, but it came back just in time for my mom to cook dinner (which is in the oven now).
Grandma got stuck in the electric recliner when the power went out...mom and I tipped the chair and dumped her out. Then we thought of the UPS backup I brought from home, and used it to lower the chair back to normal position. Then I read the instructions (after my mom found them) and I put batteries in the power supply...so now the next time they lose power, the chair will automatically return to seated position.

Hopefully we keep our power for at least awhile longer tonight. I was missing my interwebz for those two hours. My condo complex has been out since 3:30, so I am certainly glad to be here at my folx.

EDIT: Whoo! Sparky! (hopefully that Sparky is enough to keep us with power for awhile)

made me laugh out loud!!! Be safe!!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
CAGrl wrote:Good thing then that I don't speak pig Latin.

I thought you did the sig? It's cute.

Most of it, yes. The two upper smileys (vampire & flying witch) I "liberated" from ThunderThighs. It's the Scary Pumpkin I'm having trouble remembering.

I might have put it in, but then again, I might not have. It's all the wine I had on Saturday.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Wow, I thought I was conservative at 500 bottles for a year, apparently I forgot the Sparky multiplier :P

No, since I started really in 2008 (Dec, 2007 was my first Wine Woot), so about 5 years worth of buying & drinking.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:Not that the guess matters, but BrightGreen is my +1 and has thus purchased on woot, by proxy through me. I told her to have a go with a guess. It seems that I was to optimistic at 1945 and she too pessimistic at 24-something

Aha! Sorry then, but you need to let her buy at least one Wine Woot!!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

Well, the wind has been buffeting our building, but so far we haven't heard anything from Con Ed about adding our area to any power cuts, like the ones they're implementing in lower Manhattan. So it was a bit freaky a few seconds ago to have our lights dip during one particularly heavy blast of wind. Especially b/c our power lines run under the street, not up on poles. Made me wonder if we're about to experience a power outage of the unintentional kind. I sure would miss the webz, but we've got food a'plenty, a gas range to cook it on, flashlights & candles strategically placed, a nicely chilled bottle of bubbly for tonight. So I guess we'd be ok. No work to go to again tomorrow. It would be a long day, though, with no electricity.

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So I'm currently surviving ok at my parents house. We lost power for a couple hours this afternoon, but it came back just in time for my mom to cook dinner (which is in the oven now).

Yeah, it's "supposed" to do that. Only on my dad's chair it didn't. We had to call service on it, and there was a loose connector under the chair where the power cord from the power supply connected to the chair's motor. How it got loose is unknown, since the chair was purchased last Dec. and hasn't been moved since then.

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

Got notified just after 4 PM that we will not have school tomorrow. How civilized! That means being able to sleep in and also time to get a bunch of grading work done that needs doing. The first marking period ends on Friday and I will have a unit test on our next class day to grade. All grades and comments are due next Wednesday.

Hopefully, we won't lose power. We had a wind gust of 28 mph and we have a temp of 39 degrees. And, we are to be getting a 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch of rain per hour up until 1 AM. This was posted by the NWS in Buffalo at 6:15 PM. Plus, our ground is already saturated due to the amount of rain we got all weekend! Stay safe everybody!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
InFrom wrote:Well, the wind has been buffeting our building, but so far we haven't heard anything from Con Ed about adding our area to any power cuts, like the ones they're implementing in lower Manhattan. So it was a bit freaky a few seconds ago to have our lights dip during one particularly heavy blast of wind. Especially b/c our power lines run under the street, not up on poles. Made me wonder if we're about to experience a power outage of the unintentional kind. I sure would miss the webz, but we've got food a'plenty, a gas range to cook it on, flashlights & candles strategically placed, a nicely chilled bottle of bubbly for tonight. So I guess we'd be ok. No work to go to again tomorrow. It would be a long day, though, with no electricity.

I heard on NPR about an hour ago that because some of those electrical lines are in trenches, which may be subject to filling up with water, they may have to cut power to avoid problems.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

InFrom

ddeuddeg wrote:I heard on NPR about an hour ago that because some of those electrical lines are in trenches, which may be subject to filling up with water, they may have to cut power to avoid problems.

True. They did start cutting power downtown, a little while ago. My office took down its network, since the power was going down. Con Ed did a bunch of robo-calls this afternoon to let people know. So far, no call. But, also, still powered up, knock wood!

BTW, your weather sounds ghastly. Not as windy as here, but a lot colder.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Got notified just after 4 PM that we will not have school tomorrow. How civilized! That means being able to sleep in and also time to get a bunch of grading work done that needs doing. The first marking period ends on Friday and I will have a unit test on our next class day to grade. All grades and comments are due next Wednesday.

Hopefully, we won't lose power. We had a wind gust of 28 mph and we have a temp of 39 degrees. And, we are to be getting a 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch of rain per hour up until 1 AM. This was posted by the NWS in Buffalo at 6:15 PM. Plus, our ground is already saturated due to the amount of rain we got all weekend! Stay safe everybody!

Be safe!!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Things are fairly quiet in Ithaca by east coast standards. Light rain, with some gusts of wind. Supposedly tomorrow is supposed to be worse, but we shall see. I'm annoyed that Ithaca college has cancelled class, but Cornell is still on.

bahwm

Both of us have off tomorrow! Yeah!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

My sister is in Virginia and is a NICU nurse. She made it to the hospital safe and she's likely not going to leave for at least a day. At least I know she's safe. There's food, water, power, and medicine there, so she's safer than she'd be at home. The rest of you: BE SAFE!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Both of us have off tomorrow! Yeah!

I still picture you two this way ...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ixnay onway ethay eepingsway Ankeesyay!!! It upsets the Boss!

Edit: And when did the Scary Pumpkin show up in my sig? ThunderThighs? InkyCatz?? Old-Timers???

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

All you N'easters stay safe and dry.

@Hit Laughed about dumping out grandma. Hope she's ok after that adventure.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:
I still picture you two this way ...

No, that's Cesare and Kttest.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Not a bad evening without power. Wife had made tuna salad pre-outage, so we had sandwiches and a half bottle of white wine she used in a soup. Then to the neighbors for lights via generator and more wine. Office opens in an hour, though I came in a couple of hours ago to take a shower.

Wires are a mess at the end of my street, and rumor of a transformer fire. But still hopeful we get high on the list due to the number of homes the lines feed. Else, time to toss food.

Funny thing - helped my wife move all the frozen food from the local food bank to someone's home with a generator and extra freezer. Their home lost power, but the food bank never did. Better safe than sorry, but still strikes me as funny.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
otolith wrote:No, that's Cesare and Kttest.

haha

We were lucky enough to keep our power, but parts of Queens are a disaster and Manhattan doesn't seem much better. Seeing Manhattan roads look like a river is just crazy. Hope everyone else is doing OK.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
polarbear22 wrote:Not a bad evening without power. Wife had made tuna salad pre-outage, so we had sandwiches and a half bottle of white wine she used in a soup. Then to the neighbors for lights via generator and more wine. Office opens in an hour, though I came in a couple of hours ago to take a shower.

Wires are a mess at the end of my street, and rumor of a transformer fire. But still hopeful we get high on the list due to the number of homes the lines feed. Else, time to toss food.

Funny thing - helped my wife move all the frozen food from the local food bank to someone's home with a generator and extra freezer. Their home lost power, but the food bank never did. Better safe than sorry, but still strikes me as funny.

Glad to hear folks checking in okay.

I'm just hanging out, really.

bahwm

We're fine. Although, just down the street there's a loose wire, probably taken down by the tree branch that got tangled up in it. Of course, we haven't been out and about the hood at all. The winds never did reach such high velocities as they had predicted, but we did get another .80 inch of rain so far since midnight. I know that certain areas in my school district lose power for no apparent reason at all, and so, it is good that we closed--although it probably wasn't really necessary. It was really great to sleep until 9:30 this morning! Must get some school work done sometime soon today--I think we'll still have choir rehearsal tonight.

The Buffalo Public Schools didn't decide to close until 4:30 AM! Every other district in the area had already closed by the time the 11 o'clock news was on! We'll cut them a little slack because they have a new Super from out of town someplace, but I'm sure she has advisors!

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:

Love the new "My Candy!"

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:No, that's Cesare and Kttest.

Nope, those two are using Smartphones and sexting each other. Err, Texting each other good night. (They are still Newlyweds after all! I think.)

MarkDaSpark

Even though he no longer seems to hang out with us ...

Happy Birthday to JavaDrinker!!

Happy Birthday to JavaDrinker!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Even though he no longer seems to hang out with us ...

Happy Birthday to JavaDrinker!!

Happy Birthday to JavaDrinker!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

Happy Birthday, JavaDrinker!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Yeah!! We got power back about 4, so 24 hours after we lost it. Lamppost is staked and tied up as a temporary fix. Lost some food, including a half pound of Humboldt Fog that we hadn't opened.

Rather lose some cheese than damage to the house. So very thankful.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Yeah!! We got power back about 4, so 24 hours after we lost it. Lamppost is staked and tied up as a temporary fix. Lost some food, including a half pound of Humboldt Fog that we hadn't opened.

Great news! Are you sure that you still can't eat the cheese?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
polarbear22 wrote:Lost some food, including a half pound of Humboldt Fog that we hadn't opened.

Can't believe that would go bad in 24 hours, unless you were at 90 degrees. Eat up! And pull corks!

CT

InFrom

bahwm wrote:Great news! Are you sure that you still can't eat the cheese?

You can tell the optimists around here -- I was thinking the same thing! What's a little more stinky on wonderful stinky cheese?

kylemittskus

Sad news about the Hayne Vineyard.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Sad news about the Hayne Vineyard.

Only part of it!! Whew!

Boycott Beckstoffer grapes!!!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
MarkDaSpark wrote:Only part of it!! Whew!

Boycott Beckstoffer grapes!!!

More like buy Turley, Bedrock Wine, Carlisle and Ridge... never mind I already do. BTW Kyle I will have a couple of Bedrock's for you soon. Anti crying baby gift

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:More like buy Turley, Bedrock Wine, Carlisle and Ridge... never mind I already do. BTW Kyle I will have a couple of Bedrock's for you soon. Anti crying baby gift

Ha! And I have a Turley Hayne PS which may soon be a rare gem it seems.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Eat the cheese. Just eat it. And let us know how it turns out.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Hubby and I decided to go out for dinner Thursday night (which we rarely do), and Harrah's is just a few blocks down from the restaurant. I booked a room there for $32, so instant night out! A little dinner, drinks, gambling, and no need to drive after. Should only take a few minutes to get back home for work on Friday morning. Wheeeeee!

bahwm

chemvictim wrote:Hubby and I decided to go out for dinner Thursday night (which we rarely do), and Harrah's is just a few blocks down from the restaurant. I booked a room there for $32, so instant night out! A little dinner, drinks, gambling, and no need to drive after. Should only take a few minutes to get back home for work on Friday morning. Wheeeeee!

Nice! Enjoy!

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Love the new "My Candy!"

Thanks. Gave me the giggles when I found it.

Glad to hear from those checking in.

bahwm

Just booked air tickets for D&D using points, a voucher & $125 on the cc per person. Stupid rule: you cannot combine a voucher with points. Urg! Next, to work some magic on a car!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:Just booked air tickets for D&D using points, a voucher & $125 on the cc per person. Stupid rule: you cannot combine a voucher with points. Urg! Next, to work some magic on a car!

Now more reason for me to take a half day and be there!!!