Zeppelin Winery Chateau d' Abalone Verdejo 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $107.20) 44% off List Price
2012 Chateau d' Abalone Verdejo, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Stillman's wines are always good to me, and he's even more entertaining!

Looking forward to his comments here.

Oh, and Aging potential?

Zeppelin Chateau d' Abalone Verdejo (3)
Speed to first woot: 1m 36.006s
First sucker:MarkDaSpark
Last wooter to woot:rjquillin

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

If I can't get first sucker, at least I can have good company.

Speed to First Woot: 1m 36.006s
First Sucker: MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin
Last Purchase: a minute ago

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I loved the Grenache Blanc d'Abalone. I'm definitely curious about trying this one.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:Austin #1 has come online!

List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 28th.

November
11/23: MN#?: Black Friday Retreat

December
TBD: SoCal #23: Housewarming at Chez Klez(man) for molarche (West LA/Culver City)

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/24: D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend
(Note: Threads will be created once PSILY site has actual D&D update)

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Stillman = INSTABUY.

Buy buy buy buy buy buy.

Buy this wine. You won't regret it. An awesome wine, a great deal, and a fantastic winemaker.

(No, he doesn't pay me. But he BETTER come to D&D this year.)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Got home from the Bronco game a while ago, and now I'm watching a replay on my DVR. This is the way to finish a great night!

Last wooter to woot:bolligra

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

MarkDaSpark

PetiteSirah wrote:Stillman = INSTABUY.

Buy buy buy buy buy buy.

Buy this wine. You won't regret it. An awesome wine, a great deal, and a fantastic winemaker.

(No, he doesn't pay me. But he BETTER come to D&D this year.)

Agreed!!!

You tagging along with us on that weekend, or on your own again? Pweeze?

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 138 Private Messages stillmanbrown

Yes, it's true that this is the first coastal county Verdejo from California. And, it doesn't show so badly despite the fact that it's in bottle shock. BUT it's expensive, and I got a lot less than I expected. So, if you order, just get one order, or my local friends will not get an allocation.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
MarkDaSpark wrote:Agreed!!!

You tagging along with us on that weekend, or on your own again? Pweeze?

Still trying to figure it out. Most likely, it will be part with you and part on my own. There will likely be an additional special guest this year. (No, SWMBO is not pregnant.)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen

I regret missing Swilly's previous d'Abalone, not getting shut out this time!

Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen
Last Purchase: 3 minutes ago

stillmanbrown

chipgreen wrote:I regret missing Swilly's previous d'Abalone, not getting shut out this time!

Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen
Last Purchase: 3 minutes ago

True, the last one went in nine hours. Soooo, why are YOU awake?

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Nice to see there's a fan base, but anybody got tasting notes? Not finding anything at CT ...

LandRoverNut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LandRoverNut

Buy buy buy

flipflopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flipflopfrank

don't buy it....if you do, there won't be any leftovers for me to peddle....

tis not easy to sell wine someone else has bought....

so If it is gone like gonzo gone, well, I won't have any for my turkey dinner

this was typed in my sarcastic font

'Do I look blurry to you?

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
stillmanbrown wrote:True, the last one went in nine hours. Soooo, why are YOU awake?

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Don't know anything about this, but reading the comments makes me think it will be gone before I awake

Speed to First Woot:
1m 36.006s
First Sucker:
MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot:
bkarlan

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
bkarlan wrote:Don't know anything about this, but reading the comments makes me think it will be gone before I awake

Speed to First Woot:
1m 36.006s
First Sucker:
MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot:
bkarlan

I hope it's around for another 7 hours. Just to see the Plus deals!

Neal K Bharadwaj

MarkDaSpark

PetiteSirah wrote:Still trying to figure it out. Most likely, it will be part with you and part on my own. There will likely be an additional special guest this year. (No, SWMBO is not pregnant.)

TMR? I'll email you about the rest.

MarkDaSpark

sdbcmr wrote:Nice to see there's a fan base, but anybody got tasting notes? Not finding anything at CT ...

Probably no notes because it sounds like this is a Woot Launch (new wine).

Hey WD, no Pope Hat???

MarkDaSpark

For those too lazy to look on the CT page:

2012 Red Zeppelin Verdejo Chateau d'Abalone
Varietal Composition: 89% Verdejo, 11% Sauvignon Blanc
Alcohol: 12.7%
pH: 3.55
TA: 8.1 g/L
Production: 97 cases bottled from 1.6 acres, 2nd year graftover from SB to Verdejo

Tank fermented, aged one month in French oak puncheons, bottled

The first Verdejo in San Luis Obispo County, and possibly the first from any coastal county in the state, this Spanish variety known for dry Rueda whites (thanks to Emile Peynaud, Stillman Brown's first wine instructor) proved to be very low yielding and thick-skinned in his friend’s Paso Robles vineyard, so much so that an acre of vines made less than a hundred cases of wine.

Verdejo
Verdejo thrives in Northwestern Castile continental climate and gravel soils. The grape gives aromatic wines, often soft with body.

Wines take on a slightly yellowish color, with a youthful, greenish hue. A crisp and fresh white variety with grassy notes, a touch of fruit and excellent level of acidity. The extract, a key factor when assessing the personality of great white wines, is perceived through its volume and its characteristic bitter touch, which leaves a glint of originality in the mouth, accompanied by a rich fruity expression. These wines are harmonious, and their aftertaste invites to go on drinking.

2012 vintage, so this is probably brand-new, thus no tasting notes in CT.

rheatoomuch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rheatoomuch

Are these ready to drink right away? What's the aging window, I'm not normally a white wine drinker but in for one based on the reviews.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

In for two.
Hoping for the best for our friends in the NE as Sandy bears down. Hurricane force winds out to 145 miles with storm surge from hades.

gusbrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gusbrown

Stillman fring rocks - wines never ever fail to amaze.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

The peer pressure killed me. I'm in for one, and I don't even know what I bought. This better be good ;)

LandRoverNut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LandRoverNut
woottoady wrote:The peer pressure killed me. I'm in for one, and I don't even know what I bought. This better be good ;)

It will be Great if you don't think so stop drinking wine!

Stillman's are some of the only whites I drink!!! #RedGuy

stillmanbrown

LandRoverNut wrote:It will be Great if you don't think so stop drinking wine!

Stillman's are some of the only whites I drink!!! #RedGuy

WHAT HAVE I CREATED?!?

stillmanbrown

Wait, there's a question I'm supposed to answer, not ask?!? The drinking window is difficult to estimate, but as I'll have more next year when the grafted part of the vine is mature (the root system is 12 years old) you might as well consume early. I know we do.

stillmanbrown

Another maxim and detail: don't refrigerate whites. I didn't cold stabilize this wine, it will throw potassium bitartrate if kept in the '30's - if someone in your household insists on overchilled whites, give them box wine. Or put the wine in the freezer for 20-40 minutes depending on original temperature.

themicah

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themicah
redwinefan wrote:I loved the Grenache Blanc d'Abalone. I'm definitely curious about trying this one.

My thoughts exactly.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
stillmanbrown wrote:WHAT HAVE I CREATED?!?

really tasty wines...

I'm just hanging out, really.

stillmanbrown

Kept in the '30's, like bad economic policy! Oh wait, that's too close to politics. Better talk about the weather, it's less controversial.

I hear that Presleyterian voodoo priests are responsible for the hurricane.

stillmanbrown

Sorry about not recording a Vintners Voicemail, but Mr. Castellanos wasn't up to it.

There are vineyard and production photos at StillmanBrown.com - once you get through the party pictures. (It's a blogspot, go have a look.)

bradsbabe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradsbabe
inkycatz wrote:really tasty wines...

VERY tasty wines! Can't wait to try this offer, but I'm still pouting I missed out on the Pink Zeppelin

stillmanbrown

Pink Zeppelin's next, though I updated the label: it's just Zeppelin dry pink wine. No more crashing airships!

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Stillman, can you explain the ferm/coop on this wine a bit more. I don't think I have ever seen a wine that made it in the bottle this quickly.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

VolRat Report

The labrat picture doesn't work any more. I was just hanging out with Stillman Satuday and tasted this, along with 5 other wines. I'm at work, but if this is still around at 2pm PST, I'll open one of the bottles I bought and post extensive notes. From what I remember: very fat on the palate. Nothing at all like last year's Ch. Abalone (obviously -- different varietal). It has a slight sweetness, but not like an RS sweetness. And it's not sweet at all. There's just a hint of like sweet fruit. Good fruit source, obviously. It sure as hell isn't the wine making! It kind of reminded me of a Chenin Blanc. Nice acid. Tropical fruits. Would go really well with spicy food. Or, my first thought was that I wanted some sea bass with it. I'm not buying because SWMBO and I, and our two best friends who were with us, bought 3 each. Worth the $20? Absolutely. We all really enjoyed this wine. For me, last year's > this year's, but Stillman said he's working on a new GB right now, so we don't have to choose!

BUY.

N.B.: Stillman also has some 05 Syrah left that is amazing. We didn't buy enough of that. We drank a bottle Saturday night in the spa and cursed ourselves for not buying at least a half case. Offer that Stillman! And your new GB when it's done!

Again, 2pm PST if it's still around. If not, I may open it anyway for my own enjoyment.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

stillmanbrown

kylemittskus wrote:VolRat Report

The labrat picture doesn't work any more. I was just hanging out with Stillman Satuday and tasted this, along with 5 other wines. I'm at work, but if this is still around at 2pm PST, I'll open one of the bottles I bought and post extensive notes. From what I remember: very fat on the palate. Nothing at all like last year's Ch. Abalone (obviously -- different varietal). It has a slight sweetness, but not like an RS sweetness. And it's not sweet at all. There's just a hint of like sweet fruit. Good fruit source, obviously. It sure as hell isn't the wine making! It kind of reminded me of a Chenin Blanc. Nice acid. Tropical fruits. Would go really well with spicy food. Or, my first thought was that I wanted some sea bass with it. I'm not buying because SWMBO and I, and our two best friends who were with us, bought 3 each. Worth the $20? Absolutely. We all really enjoyed this wine. For me, last year's > this year's, but Stillman said he's working on a new GB right now, so we don't have to choose!

BUY.

N.B.: Stillman also has some 05 Syrah left that is amazing. We didn't buy enough of that. We drank a bottle Saturday night in the spa and cursed ourselves for not buying at least a half case. Offer that Stillman! And your new GB when it's done!

Again, 2pm PST if it's still around. If not, I may open it anyway for my own enjoyment.

Thanks for the review! You are correct, the wine is dry (<.1 rs) and yes, I charged you the 'woot' price instead of tasting room retail or you would have come back with a chainsaw :-)

stillmanbrown

trifecta wrote:Stillman, can you explain the ferm/coop on this wine a bit more. I don't think I have ever seen a wine that made it in the bottle this quickly.

It's a record for me too. Picked late August, Verdejo is a thick skinned grape so in a press too large for volume of 1.6 tons whole cluster, I only got 200sh gallons. Chilled and fermented in jacketed SS tank with max 66F, racked to variable tank, bentonited and settled, racked to 500L puncheons and topped with 9% SB, coarse DE filtered, bottled almost three weeks ago, so it'll be out of its very negligible shock when you get it. I mean, if!