Diablita 2007 Red Wine 6-pack
$69.99 (Normally $143.90) 51% off List Price
2007 Diablita Red Cole Ranch AVA Wine
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
Cesare wrote:Diablita 2007 Red Wine 6-pack
$69.99 (Normally $143.90) 51% off List Price
2007 Diablita Red Cole Ranch AVA Wine
CT link above

Only one review on CT. I would like to hear more.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Didn't even realize this was a 2007 this evening, but it was in a brown bag, nor did we know what was in the blend, but we did discuss pizza. First of four we ratted and hits right at it's price point. Sparky kept the detailed notes.

CT

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive
rjquillin wrote:Didn't even realize this was a 2007 this evening, but it was in a brown bag, nor did we know what was in the blend, but we did discuss pizza. First of four we ratted and hits right at it's price point. Sparky kept the detailed notes.

Is ratting back?

mauimermaid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mauimermaid

Had this the other evening. The color is a brick red so you know it is not young. The fragrance is fruity with a hint of spice. There is good structure and balance and a delightfully long finish. It is drinkable today and with the good supply of tannin will probably be good for a few years.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Tried this at the Hallowoot party on Thursday. This was one of my favourites of the evening, especially at the likely QPR. The nose was mostly of perfectly ripe (to me) fruit with a little something else there hinting at a cooler climate wine - something vegetal that may have been jalapeno. On the palate I got green pepper, nice tannin and some spice to go along with the fruit. At just under $13/bottle delivered if you need a daily drinker and prefer the non-fruit-bomb style then this is for you. If I'd had the time to clear some space for this I'd be in...perhaps in a wootoff in a few months?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

takethefarmandrun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages takethefarmandrun

May we have the percentages of Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah? Any other stats?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
sdfreedive wrote:Is ratting back?

No, we had it during our SoCal WW gathering to raid zTimBz's & my new mega locker.

At Oktoberfest w/out the notes. But I seem to remember the group thinking this was a nice $10-$13 drinker.

Still organizing the new locker, or I might be in for a set.

Edit: (12:31 am PT) Son of a .... got back from last night of Oktoberfest. And remembered I left my tasting notebook in my locker. Which is closed tomorrow. Doh!

Earliest I could post notes would be Monday evening, which is after this closes.

I think I remember someone (Merbill) saying this would go good with pizza. Which is in the write-up, IIRC.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

The Everett Ridge Winery folks are good people, and they make wonderful wines.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

$18 a bottle suggested list price from the winery website.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
sdfreedive wrote:Is ratting back?

Not like we knew it, but based on posted notes from those attending local gatherings, it seems WD is assisting with upcoming goods. SoCal #22 last yesterday afternoon had both this and yesterdays provided, and two additional.
I ~will~ take my notebook next time.

CT

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

We were at the Everett Ridge tasting room a few weeks ago (After our Brack Mountain tasting with Texacali Ali) and enjoyed ourselves. The server was very nice and knowledgeable. We really enjoyed this and the other wines (Esterlina, Everett Ridge and Diablita) we tasted. In for one, since I have a ton of wine coming.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Had this at the so-cal gathering yesterday; didn't take detailed notes, but I do recall the nose being a bit hot (14.9% alcohol), though there were no legs to speak of after swirling it around the glass. Initially the taste was pretty tannic and oak-y, to the point where some of the fruit was muted/hidden, but after coming back to it a few hours later, it seemed to have opened up considerably, with some juiciness and fruit becoming much more at the forefront. Unlike the nose, at no point did it taste especially hot. It would definitely benefit from decanting. Definite pizza wine. Thought that it would be a fair deal at $8-12 per bottle.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

This wine was available for the Chicago WW gathering. After an hour of decanting, my impressions were that it had a cherry smell, some pepper or spiciness, soft tannins and a slightly sour but enjoyable finish. I was surprised that the alcohol was 14.9% because it never seemed hot. Like others who have commented, this seems like a good pizza wine at a very affordable price.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Is the price negotiable? I'd be in @ 49.99.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

We also had this at Mark and Tim's big walk-in locker raid yesterday. For any of you in the area who have considered but not followed through with coming to a SoCal WW get together hosted by these guys, you can see what you are missing! They are both excellent, well informed and well stocked hosts. Hopefully with these reviews you realize all the fun and wine you could have had and we will convince you to join all of us next time!

I would agree with what everyone has said. On its own (not compared to some of the other wines we tried), it seemed like a good daily drinker to pair with pizza (and yes Merbill gets credit for that comment). We didn't know the blend I thnk. I thought it had a little more of a bite to it than a few of the others and it might benefit from a little more time open or a run through the aerator. Without having any idea what it would be priced at, we all pretty much agreed that at a good price point (which turns out to be what this is) it could be a good choice.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
jmdavidson wrote:This wine was available for the Chicago WW gathering. After an hour of decanting, my impressions were that it had a cherry smell, some pepper or spiciness, soft tannins and a slightly sour but enjoyable finish. I was surprised that the alcohol was 14.9% because it never seemed hot. Like others who have commented, this seems like a good pizza wine at a very affordable price.

I too enjoyed this wine, and especially at this price. I felt it have a bit of savory notes on the end, what I like to compare to almost an herb infussed au jus meatiness. Something I tend to find in some of my favorite tempranillos.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
true559 wrote:Is the price negotiable? I'd be in @ 49.99.

Everything is negotiable. You just have to find the right arm to twist.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Edit: (12:31 am PT) Son of a .... got back from last night of Oktoberfest. And remembered I left my tasting notebook in my locker. Which is closed tomorrow. Doh!

Earliest I could post notes would be Monday evening, which is after this closes..

I'm gonna ask WineDavid to start pinning your tasting notes to your shirt so you won't misplace them.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Sigh. Already have mucho Woot Wine coming in, but had to get this based on reviews and description.

Then again, I'm stuck in with Hurricane Sandy, so will probably drink down my stock.

In for one.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Hoping someone can help. I openned a bottle of la diablita blanca earlier today and to my dismay found it too sweet for my taste. Not obscene but im more of a dry white wine drinker. The blend is sauv blanc and reisling tjpugh i suspect the reisling dominates. Sucks. Anyway, i have 5 bottles to to go and am wondering what you wine wooters recommend i pair tjis wine with. Please advise! The wine is well- made by the way.

"The older I get the better I was"

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
losthighwayz wrote:Hoping someone can help. I openned a bottle of la diablita blanca earlier today and to my dismay found it too sweet for my taste. Not obscene but im more of a dry white wine drinker. The blend is sauv blanc and reisling tjpugh i suspect the reisling dominates. Sucks. Anyway, i have 5 bottles to to go and am wondering what you wine wooters recommend i pair tjis wine with. Please advise! The wine is well- made by the way.

I'm no expert, but don't you normally pair sweet with spicy, like mexican or thai? Or, sweet with sweet if it's for a dessert.

brightgreen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brightgreen

I tried the Diablita at the WCC halloween party last week. The nose was red cherry, with a note along the lines of cherry cola, though a bit deeper in flavor. The palate was mostly cherry, with black pepper and a definite vegetable note; slightly woody, but still bright. The Diablita is a reasonably interesting Tuesday night wine, but it's not sophisticated. It's a good QPR at <$15.

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

I'm sorry to be so late posting, but I went to the Bears game today and came home to no internet. I also had this at the Chicago Woot gathering hosted by jmdavidson a few weeks ago. Here are my impressions:

The nose had some pepper (green and black) and spice. I also picked up something vegetal that seemed to be either dill or some componenet of pickling spice (not unpleasant). I found flavors of black pepper, spice, vanilla and that "meaty" note that funbunny mentioned earlier. For me, there was not a ton of fruit in this one. Lots of tannins here.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm gonna ask WineDavid to start pinning your tasting notes to your shirt so you won't misplace them.

Could help, but then I'd forget to take them off when I wash shirts!!!

And it would have helped to know WHEN the bottles would be coming up!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

losthighwayz wrote:Hoping someone can help. I openned a bottle of la diablita blanca earlier today and to my dismay found it too sweet for my taste. Not obscene but im more of a dry white wine drinker. The blend is sauv blanc and reisling tjpugh i suspect the reisling dominates. Sucks. Anyway, i have 5 bottles to to go and am wondering what you wine wooters recommend i pair tjis wine with. Please advise! The wine is well- made by the way.

You might try it with a spicy food. IIRC, slightly sweeter wines off-set spicy foods.