otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Just saw coynedj, and we "decided" that we'll try for the day after Thanksgiving. Go out and do your black Friday shopping, then come on over for some wine.

We can work on a theme later, although I'm thinking I'll supply the wine (ie. raid my cellar), and you supply the food.

edit: this will take place at my place. We'll figure out a time later.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

dstearl


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl
otolith wrote:Just saw coynedj, and we "decided" that we'll try for the day after Thanksgiving. Go out and do your black Friday shopping, then come on over for some wine.

We can work on a theme later, although I'm thinking I'll supply the wine, and you supply the food.



Ugh I will be in Wisconsin, hate to miss these...

coolchris160


quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

I've yet to make it to any of these get-togethers. I had planned on attending the soirée back in March, but my +1 had a change of plans at the last minute so I missed out. Hopefully I can make it to this one.

Any ideas as far as a time and place?

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Will clarify my first post...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Any interest from the MN peeps?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I'm in, of course.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

hdavis4000


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdavis4000

Pretty sure we will be out for this one. We most likely will be out of town.

"Wine is bottled poetry." -Robert Louis Stevenson

tomatillo


quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

Still negotiating on the date.

On a different train of thought, the case of Dracula Blood is here. Any locals left interested in bottles?

JanaDahlen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JanaDahlen

We will be out of town for the long weekend as well. Perhaps we can have another small gathering in early December?

Jana

w.w: 19 s.w: 12 w: 4 k.w:2

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Looks like it's going to be just me and you, Doc. And your lovely wife, of course, but I don't think the kids should participate. Maybe a different date would work out better.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

pengu1n


quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n
coynedj wrote:Looks like it's going to be just me and you, Doc. And your lovely wife, of course, but I don't think the kids should participate. Maybe a different date would work out better.



My arm could be twisted to drive up and stop in.

tomatillo


quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

Local wine hijack. Just traded off some of the Dracula wine with fellow wooter Pat at Southdale this afternoon. Always a pleasure meeting the locals! Now, the GARD white wine variety case just arrived with an invite to double the purchase direct from the vineyard at the same price including the $5 shipping. Has anyone local tasted any of these and any opinions on whether another mixed case at 99 + 5 is worth it?
Wife is the big white wine drinker, not me, but she is a seldom drinker and will not have the time to taste test the varieties before it's too late to order. So, caustic opinions are welcome.

PTommins


quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
tomatillo wrote:Local wine hijack. Just traded off some of the Dracula wine with fellow wooter Pat at Southdale this afternoon. Always a pleasure meeting the locals! Now, the GARD white wine variety case just arrived with an invite to double the purchase direct from the vineyard at the same price including the $5 shipping. Has anyone local tasted any of these and any opinions on whether another mixed case at 99 + 5 is worth it?
Wife is the big white wine drinker, not me, but she is a seldom drinker and will not have the time to taste test the varieties before it's too late to order. So, caustic opinions are welcome.



Hey Thom. I split a case of the Gard the first time it was offered. I was enticed by the positive reviews I've read about the growing popularity of white varietals from WA Columbia Valley. So far, I tried the Freyja (white blend) and the Pinot Gris. Don't have detailed tasting notes, but served both with home made Thai creations; Panang Curry and Pad Thai. While the wines are not complex, I found them to pair very well with spicy Asian food. I don't think you will be disapointed at this price point. The Freyja was especially tasty.

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

So - who's coming?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

samiratou


quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou
coynedj wrote:So - who's coming?



Eric & I are, if we can bring the baby. Nicolai can go to Grandpa's, but the little guy is too little to be away for the weekend just yet.

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:We can work on a theme later, although I'm thinking I'll supply the wine (ie. raid my cellar), and you supply the food.



Derek - I told you that I was trying to work off my inventory, and you're not making it easier for me to do that if you supply the wine. I insist on bringing a bottle - I promise to make it a good one!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:Derek - I told you that I was trying to work off my inventory, and you're not making it easier for me to do that if you supply the wine. I insist on bringing a bottle - I promise to make it a good one!



Fine, bring a bottle.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
samiratou wrote:Eric & I are, if we can bring the baby. Nicolai can go to Grandpa's, but the little guy is too little to be away for the weekend just yet.



Feel free to bring both of them.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

pengu1n


quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n

Time? Location address?

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
pengu1n wrote:Time? Location address?



6:30? My place. Will send out directions to people who confirm.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:6:30? My place. Will send out directions to people who confirm.



Of course I'll be there. And I already know where you live, so no need for directions!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

cynthylee


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

I would really like to stop by--please count me in for now.
Cheers!

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
cynthylee wrote:I would really like to stop by--please count me in for now.
Cheers!



Remember what I said I'd bring if you showed up at one of these gatherings? I'll make sure I bring it along.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Don't fret, as I'll send out messages to people on on Wed/Thurs.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Worked far too much today. Will send out directions tomorrow.

We also have some "treats."

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

samiratou


quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou

We're in--me, Eric & baby. We have your addy in PMs, still, though, so no need to resend.

cynthylee


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
coynedj wrote:Remember what I said I'd bring if you showed up at one of these gatherings? I'll make sure I bring it along.



Sounds great Doug! Hope to see you tomorrow. Just waiting for the time and place info. Being my first get together, any suggestions as to what I should bring?

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

You all should have messages with info.

Plan on showing up around 6:30 or so. Bring an appetizer or something to share, and maybe list it here so we don't have everyone bringing a brick of cheese. We'll grab some bottles from the cellar, as well as have some blind tastings.

I'm pretty certain that I should have enough wine glasses, but feel free to bring your own.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

samiratou


quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou

Aaaand we're out. Eric woke with a stomach bug this morning. We're quite grateful N is off at Grandpa's and are hoping the baby and I stay healthy. Next time!

samiratou


quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou

Oh, hey--when did i get a quality post? i haven't really posted anywhere lately--how do i see which post it was?

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
samiratou wrote:Oh, hey--when did i get a quality post? i haven't really posted anywhere lately--how do i see which post it was?

If you ever figure out how to do that, post it. I've been trying for at least 2 years.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cynthylee


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

I'm bringing shrimp with cocktail sauce and smoked salmon with cream cheese and crackers. Any idea what the headcount is? Looking forward to my first gathering!
Cheers!

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I'd think around 10 people, from what it sounds like.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
samiratou wrote:Aaaand we're out. Eric woke with a stomach bug this morning. We're quite grateful N is off at Grandpa's and are hoping the baby and I stay healthy. Next time!



That's too bad. Hopefully Eric feels better, and the rest of you don't get sick!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:Of course I'll be there. And I already know where you live, so no need for directions!



Feel free to bring your daughter if you (and she) are so inclined.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chipgreen


quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen

Hope you're all having a fun time right now - cheers!

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

How did it go? Did you get any woot treats?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

pengu1n


quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n

Was good to make it to another outing. Been a while for me. I think WD sent out 5 bottles for us. Otolith did a blind tasting for 4 of the bottles and we opened the 5th bottle last. It was one of the dessert wines in the black tie buys from last week.

I have my notes from the wines we tried so will post if I see them come up in future wootings.
Not sure if it was power of suggestion, but there was a 2006 Paso Robles that we had that when I went back for a second glass I totally smelled sweet corn on the nose. Once I said this, everyone picked it up too. First time with that description for me.

Anyways, it was good to see everyone, and thanks to Otolith and his wife for hosting.

-Penguin

drewballa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewballa

Seems I am late to the game for this one. I would love to join in for a future MN gathering.