August Ridge 2006 Paso Robles Sangiovese 4-Pack
$75.99 $140.32 46% off List Price
2006 August Ridge Sangiovese
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

Guess everyone is drinking wine tonight vs. buying. Love to hear some thoughts on this wine. Love Paso wines so may give this one a try.

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie

Nothing in CellarTracker on this vintage (though it is there). Really nothing on any of the Sangiovese's...but yeah, I'm a sucker for PR as well, so what the hell...

Certified Wine Geek

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

The Sangiovese's I have had in the past have all been medium bodied with lighter fruit. Mostly cherry. I noticed that this has 9% CS blended in which would stiffen up the back end quite a bit. What was the thinking behind adding the CS rather than making this 100% varietal?

I know in the last 20-30 years the Italians have been doing it once their own laws were changed. I imagine the answer is because it simply makes a better wine.

CT

augustridge

quality posts: 3 Private Messages augustridge
cortot20 wrote:The Sangiovese's I have had in the past have all been medium bodied with lighter fruit. Mostly cherry. I noticed that this has 9% CS blended in which would stiffen up the back end quite a bit. What was the thinking behind adding the CS rather than making this 100% varietal?

Short answer: to make a better wine! Sangiovese tends to be a little wimpy mid-palate so that's why I put in the Cab Sauv. I'm also building a bigger bodied wine than the typical lighter, fruity Sangioveses common in CA. The difference between Chianti and Brunello...

I know in the last 20-30 years the Italians have been doing it once their own laws were changed. I imagine the answer is because it simply makes a better wine.

augustridge

Sorry about the mixed up message above -- trying to figure this board out! John, ARV Winemaker

cortot20

Also, by the specs the PH seems to be a little on the low side. TA isn't particularly high either. Does this come across as at all flabby? I prefer my wines a little zippier.

CT

augustridge

GREAT CATCH! That got posted up there backwards. pH 3.61 / TA .71.

Your comment took me quite by surprise because it is nothing like a flabby wine. It's got a great acid structure which is what has it work so well with tomato sauces. Let call Neil to see if we can get that fixed!

augustridge

That was my bad... I sent Woot the numbers mixed up! Apologies to all! John, ARV Winemaker

jaykid007

Hi John, is pretty much a with food only wine or does it stand up on its own? Is this a lighter medium bodied wine like traditional Italian wines or does it have more fruit with CS grape added?

augustridge

This one is Italian style with a full body -- so it is sort of halfway between. My goal is to give a taste of the CA climate with the structure and style of Italy. The fruit is throughout and presents as dried cherries, dried plums with spices and pepper rising in the mid to finish. I rarely drink wine by itself -- usually with a handful of nuts or a chunk of cheese -- although I think this one stands well by itself. Does that answer your question? John, ARV Winemaker

jaykid007

augustridge wrote:This one is Italian style with a full body -- so it is sort of halfway between. My goal is to give a taste of the CA climate with the structure and style of Italy. The fruit is throughout and presents as dried cherries, dried plums with spices and pepper rising in the mid to finish. I rarely drink wine by itself -- usually with a handful of nuts or a chunk of cheese -- although I think this one stands well by itself. Does that answer your question? John, ARV Winemaker

Yes it does! Tnx

augustridge

So all you Wooters out there know... Right now, as in RIGHT now we are crushing ~3 tons of Cab Sauv and ~8 tons of Nebbiolo. While you sit back and enjoy drinking that 2006 Sangiovese ask me any questions you want -- while I work! Salute! John, ARV Winemaker

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

We'll see if we can update the stats, in the mean time, I can say that we tasted this at the office Thursday night, and it was a nice sipper. I agree that it would go well with a tomato sauce pasta dish.

Thanks for joining us today John!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

augustridge

Glad you liked it. I wouldn't have missed this for (almost) the world!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

augustridge wrote:GREAT CATCH! That got posted up there backwards. pH 3.61 / TA .71.

Your comment took me quite by surprise because it is nothing like a flabby wine. It's got a great acid structure which is what has it work so well with tomato sauces. Let call Neil to see if we can get that fixed!

Got that fixed for y'all. Sorry for the delay.

Now, go buy 3.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

neilfindswine wrote:We'll see if we can update the stats, in the mean time, I can say that we tasted this at the office Thursday night, and it was a nice sipper. I agree that it would go well with a tomato sauce pasta dish.

Thanks for joining us today John!

Notes.......Anyone.

CT

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff
Cesare wrote:August Ridge 2006 Paso Robles Sangiovese 4-Pack
$75.99 $140.32 46% off List Price
2006 August Ridge Sangiovese
CT link above

Winery website

On Monday, November 5th, we will probably be celebrating Cesare's 1000th TREAT!.

Are we doing anything special for this??? Will the winewoot! logo incorporate a little teeny tiny Cesare face in one of the "O"s???

I, personally, will raise a glass and toast to this WG (Wine Genius)!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:Notes.......Anyone.

There were 18 or so Wooters there- someone must have taken notes! I was busy pouring and yapping. I found it to be balanced and subtle. Not too big. It wanted some food, thus my aforementioned pasta sauce comment. Sorry I didn't take notes. I think I poured 20 wines in all.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
neilfindswine wrote:There were 18 or so Wooters there- someone must have taken notes! I was busy pouring and yapping. I found it to be balanced and subtle. Not too big. It wanted some food, thus my aforementioned pasta sauce comment. Sorry I didn't take notes. I think I poured 20 wines in all.

This one was tasted blind originally at WCC. It was supposed to be a pure varietal (NEIL!!!). It has the good acid of a Sangiovese but with a significantly darker flavor profile than I typically associate with the varietal probably due to the cab added. Think plum, the ones with black skin and light flesh, not overripe so it still is acidic.

Nothing complicated, sound wine.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
cortot20 wrote:Notes.......Anyone.

Had this at the SoCal woot gathering today.

Red, but with definite orange and brown tinting. Nose of oak, dirty strawberry, and baking spices.

Medium bodied, with cranberries, tart cherries and a lot of pepper/spices, which others described as heat from the alcohol. Well integrated tannins and good acid make this very food friendly. Short to medium finish with more than a little pucker power.

Overall, well-liked by our group of tasters.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
merbill wrote:Had this at the SoCal woot gathering today.

Red, but with definite orange and brown tinting. Nose of oak, dirty strawberry, and baking spices.

Medium bodied, with cranberries, tart cherries and a lot of pepper/spices, which others described as heat from the alcohol. Well integrated tannins and good acid make this very food friendly. Short to medium finish with more than a little pucker power.

Overall, well-liked by our group of tasters.

Yeah, and didn't you end up with what was left int he bottle...? This tasted rather better than what I had expected, based on comments here. Perhaps a little bit on the hot/spicy side, but should do well with food and not just the munchies we had.

CT

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
rjquillin wrote:Yeah, and didn't you end up with what was left int he bottle...? This tasted rather better than what I had expected, based on comments here. Perhaps a little bit on the hot/spicy side, but should do well with food and not just the munchies we had.

Why, yes. Yes I did. I'm sipping it now, and still enjoying it. At the gathering, I didn't know it had 9% Cab, but I definitely think that helped make the wine better than we expected.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:This one was tasted blind originally at WCC. It was supposed to be a pure varietal (NEIL!!!). It has the good acid of a Sangiovese but with a significantly darker flavor profile than I typically associate with the varietal probably due to the cab added. Think plum, the ones with black skin and light flesh, not overripe so it still is acidic.

Nothing complicated, sound wine.

Been moving stuff all day, so I'm late to the party. My notes almost perfectly match cmaldoon's. Definitely more towards the plum end, which is not my normal association with Sangio, but a nice wine to drink and nicely balanced.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT