racknriddle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages racknriddle
kaolis wrote:I buy quite a bit of wine online both retail and winery direct. I happen to know that some wineries ship without charging tax and in fact do not report it. Yes, anymore it is the smaller wineries, and yes, it it is getting harder to get away with it, and with the risk involved..well.... that being said, I just ordered directly from Rack and Riddle. No sales tax was applied. Although the price here from Woot implies a sales tax. Just sayin'....

We use a free cart system that is not very sophisticated. When the sale is input into our compliance software tomorrow, then the tax will be calculated and only then will your card will be charged. We follow all tax regulations to the tee....just saying....

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
racknriddle wrote:Los Carneros Pinot Noir and Chardonnay and also Mendocino Chardonnay.

Carneros is top-level stuff (basically every serious California sparkling wine producer sources from there), but it's a pretty big place. Precise latitudes and longitudes, please!

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

takethefarmandrun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages takethefarmandrun
k1avg wrote:What the heck? I trust this thread is an outlier and this place hasn't actually gotten this snippy since I disappeared?

perhaps we've been missing your moderating influence; welcome back!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
racknriddle wrote:We use a free cart system that is not very sophisticated. When the sale is input into our compliance software tomorrow, then the tax will be calculated and only then will your card will be charged. We follow all tax regulations to the tee....just saying....

I just figured you were backing out the tax as the post I was replying to implied, and that Woot was inflating the list because of that.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that you quote a price and take a credit card and add undisclosed fees after the fact. I saw shipping mentioned, but no disclosure of taxes being added.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

takethefarmandrun wrote:perhaps we've been missing your moderating influence; welcome back!

This mod pleads the 5th...

summerinflorida

quality posts: 0 Private Messages summerinflorida
kaolis wrote:I just figured you were backing out the tax as the post I was replying to implied, and that Woot was inflating the list because of that.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that you quote a price and take a credit card and add undisclosed fees after the fact. I saw shipping mentioned, but no disclosure of taxes being added.

I've purchased from other online retailers such as TOMMY HILFIGER and the tax was a separate charge.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
kaolis wrote:I buy quite a bit of wine online both retail and winery direct. I happen to know that some wineries ship without charging tax and in fact do not report it. Yes, anymore it is the smaller wineries, and yes, it it is getting harder to get away with it, and with the risk involved..well.... that being said, I just ordered directly from Rack and Riddle. No sales tax was applied. Although the price here from Woot implies a sales tax. Just sayin'....

One of the beauties of buying from W.W. The ugly T word somehow disappears. Shhhh!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
kylemittskus wrote:One of the beauties of buying from W.W. The ugly T word somehow disappears. Shhhh!!!

I did not bring up the T word, it has been introduced to us via the new Woot list price.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
Winedavid39 wrote:
We've been talking to Rack & Riddle for months trying to land this deal.

Sparkling of this quality at this price is hard to come by. We are very pleased to have solidified this offer.

On behalf of the Sparkletariat - THANK YOU! How could I possibly resist the temptation to try something new? I'm in.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
kaolis wrote:I did not bring up the T word, it has been introduced to us via the new Woot list price.

True. Woot assumes that the winery will charge you shipping if you buy direct (whether they do or not obviously varies. And who can blame them? Understanding the various tax nuances? F that!). But when you buy from woot, you get the $5 shipping and the t word disappears.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
kaolis wrote:I did not bring up the T word, it has been introduced to us via the new Woot list price.

The wineries cover the tax on w.w. sales.

CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

Just sayin' ...

If a particular entity (winery, distributor, or whatever) decides to ship and not collect and remit sales tax, that is an issue between that entity and the state tax collector. That is a risk that the entity chooses to undertake and they also then choose to bear the risk of an audit.

As a consumer, I simply wanted to know where the risk lay if sales tax were due and not being collected. After looking at the rules for Washington I was satisfied that if an out of state entity is selling wine to me, that entity bears the obligation to collect and remit sales tax for what I purchase.

That being said, I would not be the least surprised to know that there are entities selling wine over the internet without collecting and remitting taxes due.