NV North Coast Blanc de Blancs
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

psm321

quality posts: 21 Private Messages psm321

This is not non-wine! Where's my Thursday non-wine Wine Woot???

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Where are the Candy Basket salted caramels...?

CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

The worlds gone mad. Wine on non-wine Thursday and women voting for Romney. Guess pigs will be flying by midnight...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

psm321 wrote:This is not non-wine! Where's my Thursday non-wine Wine Woot???

We are celebrating! It's Home.Woot's first anniversary!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777
mschauber wrote:The worlds gone mad. Wine on non-wine Thursday and women voting for Romney. Guess pigs will be flying by midnight...

I went to see Roger Waters The Wall and i can swear that i saw a flying pig.

costrowski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages costrowski

The four bottles are only $82 on the Rack and Riddle web site. Where did woot get $105 from?

dmacke99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dmacke99
costrowski wrote:The four bottles are only $82 on the Rack and Riddle web site. Where did woot get $105 from?

IMHO, while i've heard woot's answer on this, and i understand what they are doing, i don't like it at all. there's something that seems disingenuous about it.

i remember when i first came to woot, and there was someone (jwhite maybe?) who did an 'is this a good deal?' post every day (based on the REAL retail and comparable prices online). maybe someone should start this again.

or woot could stop with the inflated 'list' price, either way.

diman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages diman

No shipping to CT. Strange.... No sparkling for me.

laxangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laxangel
diman wrote:No shipping to CT. Strange.... No sparkling for me.

Boo... no shipping to WI either. Strange

Angel

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ThunderThighs wrote:We are celebrating! It's Home.Woot's first anniversary!

So celebrate with a ridiculously good deal on home.woot, and give us our damn salted caramels here!!!!!!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Ptommy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ptommy

So why can't anyone proofread the stupid write-up for these wines? NY where is should be NV (twice), "mad" instead of "made". D'oh!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Ptommy wrote:So why can't anyone proofread the stupid write-up for these wines? NY where is should be NV (twice), "mad" instead of "made". D'oh!

Whoops, sent in for fixin'.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
ThunderThighs wrote:We are celebrating! It's Home.Woot's first anniversary!

Ah, that would explain why Home.woot is the first Woot! site to move out of eternal "beta" mode. I miss the old cheap and cheerful Woot. Well, I guess TT keeps it cheerful, but...

As for today's offering, I can get bubbly that looks this cheap for much less money at my local TJs, so that's where I'll be spending my money this holiday season.

janker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages janker
Ptommy wrote:So why can't anyone proofread the stupid write-up for these wines? NY where is should be NV (twice), "mad" instead of "made". D'oh!

So why can't anyone proofread the stupid requests to proofread the stupid write-ups. Don't you mean NY where it should be NV?

mkorona

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mkorona
costrowski wrote:The four bottles are only $82 on the Rack and Riddle web site. Where did woot get $105 from?

It is my understanding that Woot has updated their listing price to include what tax and shipping from the winery would cost, so while the 4 bottles are only $82, the average consumer can not go to the location and purchase it, so total expected cost is $105.55, whereas total cost from Woot is $69.99 ($5 shipping included in this price).

So while the "list" price is not the legitimate list price of the wine, it is reflective of what we wine buyers may pay should we order online from the source rather than through the awesome Woot deals!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
dmacke99 wrote:IMHO, while i've heard woot's answer on this, and i understand what they are doing, i don't like it at all. there's something that seems disingenuous about it.

i remember when i first came to woot, and there was someone (jwhite maybe?) who did an 'is this a good deal?' post every day (based on the REAL retail and comparable prices online). maybe someone should start this again.

or woot could stop with the inflated 'list' price, either way.

+1

Also, Woot inflating the list with taxes as well as shipping seems wrong. All wineries, whether right or wrong, do not charge tax to all states.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
rjquillin wrote:Where are the Candy Basket salted caramels...?

amen

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ThunderThighs

Staff

kaolis wrote:+1

Also, Woot inflating the list with taxes as well as shipping seems wrong. All wineries, whether right or wrong, do not charge tax to all states.

Most don't ship for $5 either.

FORUM MODERATOR

Olsonbarb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Olsonbarb
laxangel wrote:Boo... no shipping to WI either. Strange

Not even ND ????

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Hm. It looks like it would be enjoyable, but has anyone tried it? I'm intrigued at it.

(The price feedback/discussion is definitely important too and it's totally worth passing on, I'm just really curious.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Possibly due to the fact that I live in New York, I've noticed that on the various pull-down menus that websites like to use when you're entering your address, sometimes Nevada precedes New Hampshire, because the order of the list is alphabetical by fully spelled state name, and sometimes it follows New Mexico and precedes New York, because they've been alphabetized by USPS abbreviations, thus: NM, NV, NY.

EDIT: In either case, Nevada should precede New York, so feel free to ignore the above, since it does nothing to address the question. Sorry.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

Bione wrote:As for today's offering, I can get bubbly that looks this cheap for much less money at my local TJs, so that's where I'll be spending my money this holiday season.

I can get bubbly cheaper that's cheaper than this at any number of places, several within walking distance of my house. However, I wouldn't use that sort of plonk to launch a ship, much less drink it. Of course, YMMV.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Hello and happy anniversary home.woot !

the QPR on this wine is fantastic even without discounting. we've been talking to Rack & Riddle for months trying to land this deal.

Rack & Riddle behind the scenes creates sparkling wine for several brands you are familiar with. This is the only brand where they have come from behind the curtain and put their name on.

Sparkling of this quality at this price is hard to come by. We are very pleased to have solidified this offer.

amberganda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amberganda

Happy Anniversary Woot!

I shall be fulfilling my x-mas list early this year. Meanwhile, buying myself presents as well. woohoo!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:I can get bubbly cheaper that's cheaper than this at any number of places, several within walking distance of my house. However, I wouldn't use that sort of plonk to launch a ship, much less drink it. Of course, YMMV.

Very well said.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
kaolis wrote:+1

Of the various states where I have looked up what is required to get a license to ship wine into the state, every one of them, without fail, as a prerequisite for gaining approval requires that the winery obtain a business license from that state. Once they have that business license, they are then obligated to report sales made to residents of that state and remit any sales tax that is due. If the state also imposes liquor taxes, those will also be required, usually by requiring the winery to also obtain a license from whatever state agency collects those taxes.

Personally, I have a difficult time imagining a state granting approval to an out of state winery to sell wine into that state without also requiring the winery to collect and remit the same sales and liquor taxes that any in-state winery would need to collect for that same sale. State governments just don't overlook potential sources of revenue and they don't create rules that give price advantages to out of state entities competing with in-state businesses. It would be interesting to know if there are any states that allow out of state wineries to sell wine into a state while paying less taxes on the sale than would be collected by an in-state winery. Personally I doubt that there are any that do so.

If you are getting wine without paying sales tax, most likely what is happening is that the winery isn't showing you the cost and is just embedding the tax into the pricing.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
Winedavid39 wrote:Hello and happy anniversary home.woot !

the QPR on this wine is fantastic even without discounting. we've been talking to Rack & Riddle for months trying to land this deal.

Rack & Riddle behind the scenes creates sparkling wine for several brands you are familiar with. This is the only brand where they have come from behind the curtain and put their name on.

Sparkling of this quality at this price is hard to come by. We are very pleased to have solidified this offer.

Perhaps you'll have some for us tonight so we can jump on it after tasting? (Although for me, I've got too much Iron Horse to really think about buying much more sparkly)

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:Very well said.

Thanks. One example to make it easier for the uninitiated: if it's made in the US, and it says Champagne on the bottle, it probably doesn't even rise to the level of plonk.

ddeuddeg

klezman wrote: (Although for me, I've got too much Iron Horse to really think about buying much more sparkly)

I've never thought it possible to have too much Iron Horse. I guess that's why I have over 4 cases.

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

How long can these be cellared?

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
ddeuddeg wrote:Thanks. One example to make it easier for the uninitiated: if it's made in the US, and it says Champagne on the bottle, it probably doesn't even rise to the level of plonk.

Not necessarily!!!
Frank Family! This stuff is quite good.

ddeuddeg

chemvictim wrote:Not necessarily!!!
Frank Family! This stuff is quite good.

I stand corrected, then. I'm glad that, like any sensible Math teacher, I qualified my statement with "probably." I looked at their website, and they appear to be very serious in what they do. At $45/bottle, I would certainly hope so.
Most wineries with that sense of purpose don't refer to their sparkling wine as Champagne, even though the US never ratified the treaty which would have forbidden them to do so.

racknriddle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages racknriddle
chipgreen wrote:How long can these be cellared?

Rack & Riddle Sparkling wines are released at the time they are ready to be enjoyed. From the winemaker...there is still some aging potential, but we time it so that it can go straight from our cellar to your glass.

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
racknriddle wrote:Rack & Riddle Sparkling wines are released at the time they are ready to be enjoyed. From the winemaker...there is still some aging potential, but we time it so that it can go straight from our cellar to your glass.

Thanks for the reply!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
ddeuddeg wrote:I stand corrected, then. I'm glad that, like any sensible Math teacher, I qualified my statement with "probably." I looked at their website, and they appear to be very serious in what they do. At $45/bottle, I would certainly hope so.
Most wineries with that sense of purpose don't refer to their sparkling wine as Champagne, even though the US never ratified the treaty which would have forbidden them to do so.

When I was there a few years ago, the bubbly was cheaper at around $30, and it was tasty! And the tasting was free. Things change (although I'm sure the bubbly is still tasty).

They explained why they use 'Champagne,' had something to do with their having used the term since the beginning of time. Or some such.

I'm thinking of going in on this current offer...I love bubbles.

jdsmith19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdsmith19
ddeuddeg wrote:Thanks. One example to make it easier for the uninitiated: if it's made in the US, and it says Champagne on the bottle, it probably doesn't even rise to the level of plonk.

It doesn't say Champagne on the bottle. It says "methode champenoise". Those are very, very different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkling_wine_production

klezman

jdsmith19 wrote:It doesn't say Champagne on the bottle. It says "methode champenoise". Those are very, very different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkling_wine_production

He was referring to the $2 supermarket plonk "champagne", like Cook's. Not this offering.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:I've never thought it possible to have too much Iron Horse. I guess that's why I have over 4 cases.

Oh, I didn't mean that I have too much Iron Horse. I meant that I have too much bubbly, almost entirely in the form of Iron Horse, to consider this unless it's of similar quality. I agree there is almost no such thing as too much Iron Horse (storage capabilities notwithstanding).